Wood or Plastic Tees - Which do You Prefer?

Comments

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Tees

white wood tees...i like making marks on my driver.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BiggErn said:

@Philomathesq said:
    I prefer wood tees, but it does get frustrating breaking them much more often than plastic tees.

More frustrating is waiting on your playing partner to scour the earth looking for his tee after every tee shot. I use wood and prefer painted ones. If it’s there after I tee off I pick it up, if not I move along.

I'm with BigErn. Use cheap wooden tees, take a quick look around as I'm walking over to my bag, forget about it if I don't see it right away. Every few years I buy 500 of them off eBay for 10 or 15 bucks.

If I'm going to use a plastic tee it has to be the really stiff ones. Not the cheapies that bend, our tee boxes are usually quite firm. Sometimes outright hard.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Chilli9880Chilli9880 #adiZero Members Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plastic / Synthetic Tees

@AG12 said:
    Pride Golf 2 3/4" Red Tees.....last a long time

Yes, I'm a big fan of the Pride Tees. I use the ones with yellow at the bottom, perfect for helping with consistent height. My only problem is I lose them before I break them.

'16 Taylormade M2 9*, Fujikura Atmos Black 6S
    '16 Taylormade M2 15*, Fujikura Atmos Black 7X
    '16 Taylormade M2 18*, Fujikura Atmos Black 8TX
    '16 Titleist T-MB 4, 5 & 6, MB 7-PW, TI DG AMT X100
    Titleist Vokey Forged 50, 56, 62, TI DG S400
    Titleist SC Select Squareback '14
    Titleist AVX, Titleist Cart Bag
  • Power fadePower fade Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Wood Tees

Salvaged wood and Grass tees only fam. Haven't paid for a tee in many moons.

@North Butte said:

@BiggErn said:

@Philomathesq said:
    I prefer wood tees, but it does get frustrating breaking them much more often than plastic tees.

More frustrating is waiting on your playing partner to scour the earth looking for his tee after every tee shot. I use wood and prefer painted ones. If it’s there after I tee off I pick it up, if not I move along.

I'm with BigErn. Use cheap wooden tees, take a quick look around as I'm walking over to my bag, forget about it if I don't see it right away. Every few years I buy 500 of them off eBay for 10 or 15 bucks.

If I'm going to use a plastic tee it has to be the really stiff ones. Not the cheapies that bend, our tee boxes are usually quite firm. Sometimes outright hard.

The GolfWRX jinx abides.

I'm down to my last, I dunno, maybe 40-50 from my last batch of cheapy wooden tees. So it'll be time to stock up soon. Lately I seem to break half a dozen per round and lose a couple more.

So I go on eBay and somebody is selling the 2-3/4" size of the Pride Performance plastic tees (those are the nice, stiff ones that don't bend) in Qty=500 for 10 bucks, shipped. Hard to find decent wooden ones for much cheaper than 2 cents a pop.

So now I guess I just LOOOOOVE me some plastic tees. Oh yeah.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Plastic / Synthetic Tees

I use plastic since my club provides them and they last much longer than wood. Plus they don't leave a mark on the club's sole.

• jjthomp2jjthomp2 Members Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Wood Tees

nothing worse than showing up to a top tier club and they have plastic tees... awful

Taylormade M3 440 9.0
    Titleist 906f4 15.5
    Titleist 816 H2 21.0
    Mizuno MP-64 4-P
    Titleist Vokey 50, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Members Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭

I love stingers, but also really like the club tees that have multiple stripes to help me tee at a consistent height, and those are almost always plastic.

What is awful about plastic tees, anyway? They're certainly more durable than wood.

• DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plastic / Synthetic Tees

Our club provides plastic so that is what I use I really have no preference.

edited Jun 8, 2019 12:25am #41

@MaxBuck said:
    I love stingers, but also really like the club tees that have multiple stripes to help me tee at a consistent height, and those are almost always plastic.

What is awful about plastic tees, anyway? They're certainly more durable than wood.

Plastic tees are not biodegradable so I really feel like I need to at least make an effort to find and pick them up.

Some of them are weak and bend easily.

That's the two drawbacks that I know of.

Post edited by North Butte on
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Tees

@cristphoto said:
    I use plastic since my club provides them and they last much longer than wood. Plus they don't leave a mark on the club's sole.

That mark on the sole is good feedback.

• Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    Wood Tees

Wood for me. Im a traditionalist and I like the wood is biodegradable. I just buy the natural/unpainted ones because they dont leave a paint streak on my clubs.

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Tees

@BIG STU said:
    Actually I do prefer wood tees but will use plastic too---- It does not really matter one way or the other to me--- I find plenty of both

I feel the same way, have not bought any "tee" wooden or plastic or other starting about 12 years ago. Most the wooden tee P licked up around the tee box were used just once, still like new.
    I even save the broken tee for the pair 3. Although there be plenty of broken tees around the tee boxes of par 3.
    If I keep them in use then, that might reduce the trash by that much . I also wrap my sandwich with wax paper. Enough plastic on the Earth.
    Funny thing is, I also picked up plenty of plastic tee, all sorts of them. Some cost more than a buck a piece....... we're supposed to resue / recycle the plastic tee, don't we ?

Wood Tees

@JBent9610 said:
    Martini tees

I'm on my fourth year (>100 rounds) with the first one.

You probably pick the golf ball of the Martini pretty clean, and could do the same with a wooden tee.
    I had found several broken Martini tee last year. They had no numbers on the rounds they had gone through so could be one that had been used for awhile. Either way, plastic or wood, should be picked up even when it's broken.

• soregongolfersoregongolfer Members Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wood mostly because my local muni couldn't care less if their course is watered or not.

• dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Tees

Wood
    because

WITB 29JUL2019
    • Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • shopping for this gap...
    • CB3 4-G 
    • PM Grind '19 54/60/64
    • Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 8, 2019 1:44am #48
    Wood Tees

Unpainted wood, preferably bamboo, never plastic or painted, environmental and CDO thing🙊

Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evolution TS 661 
    Taylormade 300 tour 15* Fuji Evolution TS 869
    Titleist 962b 2-pw s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 54* s400
    Vokey sm7 raw M 60* s400
    Cameron 1995 Laguna
  • BM5DBM5D Members Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    Plastic / Synthetic Tees

Those 2.5" white and blue tees from D i c ks. I've been playing the same 2 tees for 1.5 seasons. Use broken wood tees for 3w and irons.

• ChamwowChamwow Members Posts: 16 ✭✭

Prefer wooden/no paint

• ibradleyibradley Members Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭
    Wood Tees

I love wood tees. My course gives out plastic. Any suggestions on what the best kind of woods tees to buy are?

• AppAlumAppAlum Members Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most tees that clubs provide (that aren’t wood) are not plastic. Companies such as Evolve make their tees from corn starch and are in fact biodegradable.

• WarEagleGolfWarEagleGolf Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    Wood Tees

@Warrick said:
    Wow, assumed we all had issues with this also, but sounds like no one even pays for tees.
    I only use stinger tees

Stingers are the best. Wood tees only...no paint. Plastic scratches, painted marks. No. My free ones are now switching to painted. I'll be buying the short stingers and xl's from now on. Sux. Went 5 yrs never buying a tee. Why paint them? Jerks.

PING G400 LST Fujikura XLR8 51 9.0*
    PING G400 Fujikura XLR8 61 16.5*
    PING i500 3-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 52*/46* TRP C-Taper Lite 110g
    Edel 58* DVR C-Taper Lite 110g
    PING Vault Anser2
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Tees

@ibradley said:
    I love wood tees. My course gives out plastic. Any suggestions on what the best kind of woods tees to buy are?

The kind made out of wood.

• hacker49hacker49 Members Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plastic / Synthetic Tees

@dubbelbogey said:

Some days, I joke that's the only "plus" thing about my round (too many strokes, too many lost balls, but at least I came away net positive on tees!

That is how I feel when I find more balls than I loose.

• cmagnussoncmagnusson Members Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other Tees

@Chilli9880 said:

@AG12 said:
    Pride Golf 2 3/4" Red Tees.....last a long time

Yes, I'm a big fan of the Pride Tees. I use the ones with yellow at the bottom, perfect for helping with consistent height. My only problem is I lose them before I break them.

I said both. Love the 1 1/4” Pride tees for 3 wood and down off the tee (I mostly hit 5W and 5i actually), but I gotta have wood for my driver.

Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65TX at 44.75"
    Titleist 917F2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 73X
    Titleist 917F2 18*, Matrix Deus 60X
    Srixon Z U85 20*, DG-Pro X100
    TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
    Tommy Armor 845 48* PW
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 53*, 59*, DG S200
    Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Arm-lock conversion at 7*, 42"
  • sailfishchrissailfishchris Members Posts: 916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Tees

Wood

Ping G400 LST 8.5 Synergy Proto 65TX
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Super Peening Blue X
    Vokey SM5 raw 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
    Toulon Memphis
    ProV1X / TP5X
    Jones Utility Trouper
  • JBent9610JBent9610 Members Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭
    Plastic / Synthetic Tees

@Philomathesq said:

@JBent9610 said:
    Martini tees

Are they really that good? Lots of love for them in this thread. I bought them for my daughter because she wanted something "pretty," but I assumed they were a total novelty item. What makes them so great? My daughter is just a recreational player, so I can't really get any feedback from her.

I also thought they were a novelty item until I did some searches on here. So many people talked about them not breaking that I gave them a try. I used to like the original Zero Friction tees because I could get 4-5 rounds from one tee before they snapped or a prong broke off. The Martini tees last longer, are easier to get into dry ground, and easier to set the ball on than the ZF tees. I gave my playing partner two Martini tees from that same bag and he has broken one of them in the same amount of time. He uses his on all tee shots, I only use mine with a driver.

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
    Super LS/Tisi Tec/RBZ Stage2/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
    Halo/4DX
    X-20/XL2000/EX-1/RaptureJ/GC Mid/Deep Red II
    ISI W2/EX-1
    685BX/X-Forged Vintage/GAS1 Forged/Eye2+
    WHP 2-Ball
  • JBent9610JBent9610 Members Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭
    Plastic / Synthetic Tees

@wkuo3 said:

@JBent9610 said:
    Martini tees

You probably pick the golf ball of the Martini pretty clean, and could do the same with a wooden tee.
    I had found several broken Martini tee last year. They had no numbers on the rounds they had gone through so could be one that had been used for awhile. Either way, plastic or wood, should be picked up even when it's broken.

If that's the case, then there's a gopher throwing my tee while I'm watching my ball in the air as I have to look for it after most tee shots. I've never had a wooden tee last a full round.

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
    Super LS/Tisi Tec/RBZ Stage2/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
    Halo/4DX
    X-20/XL2000/EX-1/RaptureJ/GC Mid/Deep Red II
    ISI W2/EX-1
    685BX/X-Forged Vintage/GAS1 Forged/Eye2+
    WHP 2-Ball
    edited Jun 9, 2019 3:12pm #60
    Wood Tees

@JBent9610 said:

@wkuo3 said:

@JBent9610 said:
    Martini tees

If that's the case, then there's a gopher throwing my tee while I'm watching my ball in the air as I have to look for it after most tee shots. I've never had a wooden tee last a full round.

I had long wooden tee lasts for more than a handful of years ( old stock from more than a decade ago ) and short tee ( or broken tee I picked up ) for par 3.
    Perhaps the material came from different type of trees, some do seemed to break easier than the other ones. I had a few 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" tee which are tough to break. They had battle scares on them but still good to use.
    With those plstic tees ( some cost more than a few bucks a piece), I would fasten some thread/string to it, so it'd be easier to spot and not flew off to far away from the tee spot.
    Picked up and used a few Martini tees. It is highly recommended from a few fellow golfers. You know why ? Because if you lean the Martini Tee forward, just tilt it slightly so when the driver hits the tee shot will hit the area of the cup on the tee which will send the golf ball with less spin ( especially the side spin ). Not sure if the Martini tee is conforming since one other design with a larger , half circular cup had been deemed unconforming because it can influence ball flight.
    If you're ever in a tournament play ( even if it's a small local event as long as there is price involved ), I'd check with the tournament committee members before put the Martini Tee in tournament play.

I won’t use any tee that costs more than a nickle.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file