What driver length are you playing?

mxskier

My current gamer G400LST is 45" but I am going to go with the SIM2 and Nemesys shaft which is counterbalanced, so I'm thinking of going to a 45.5" to get a bit higher base swing weight and also pick up a bit of club head speed with the longer shaft. The 1/2 inch could maybe help me get from 110 to 112-113, which could be nice.

I'm curious, what length are you playing? Have you changed in one direction or another? And if you did, how did your strike pattern and performance change?

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7x

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4i DG 120 X100

Callaway Apex CB 5i-PW DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54D/60S DG S300

L.A.B. MEZZ.1

Played 46... current shaft is 45 cause I bought it here... I want to go longer.

have a 43 inch driver built with a 12 degree head for reasons.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

For me personally i've found 44.75 to be a sweet spot for me. Never played over 45 inches because I just seem to lose control at longer lengths, and I dont like to choke up.

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

Right now It’s 45.5. I’m 5’5” and I am seriously considering shortening it to 44.5 or 44. I choke up normally a couple of inches and my control is much better with no distance loss. I’ve shortened my irons and it’s just so much comfortable for me to swing without choking up so why not the driver too.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I currently play at 45", but have played anywhere from 43.5" to 46" over the years. I believe 45" to be perfect for my swing.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

Currently playing 44". Still playing with swing weight.

<edit> just recently cut about an inch, maybe inch and a half to 44".

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

43.25" to 43.5".  My point of diminishing returns for driver length and swingspeed appears to be no longer than 43.5", and maybe shorter.  

Took me a few years to accept that after it was demonstrated in a fitting, but I've finally moved in that direction over the past few years, and have seen improvement in tee game consistency.  Which I've badly needed, LOL.

The hard part....  I've always preferred heavier driver shafts, the added weight is a nice component to shorter clubs, and they're harder to find these days.  And not getting any easier.

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

43.25" to 43.5".  My point of diminishing returns for driver length and swingspeed appears to be no longer than 43.5", and maybe shorter.  

Took me a few years to accept that after it was demonstrated in a fitting, but I've finally moved in that direction over the past few years, and have seen improvement in tee game consistency.  Which I've badly needed, LOL.

The hard part....  I've always preferred heavier driver shafts, the added weight is a nice component to shorter clubs, and they're harder to find these days.  And not getting any easier.

I keep going back to Tiger playing 43.75 but I don't think another 1/4" would be all that different. Then again I didn't think taking an inch off would almost remove my slice entirely,neither. So maybe.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I found I am best between 44-44.5 and currently play an Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX at 44.25 in a 9* Ping G410lst with a 20 gram headweight. 

The shorter length allows me to be very straight off the tee. If I go over 45” I tend to hit blocks to the right. 

After doing Howard’s DIY driver fitting, I have never been better off the tee than I am now.

Usually play 45", the shaft I recently purchased plays 45.5". only one round. Didn't drive it any worse tbf, actually had a one was miss which was a pleasant surprise. Will continue to play at 45.5" for a while I think.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Currently 44.5", but am experimenting with a 47" build. 

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

1 hour ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I found I am best between 44-44.5 and currently play an Aldila Xtorsion Copper 60TX at 44.25 in a 9* Ping G410lst with a 20 gram headweight. 

The shorter length allows me to be very straight off the tee. If I go over 45” I tend to hit blocks to the right. 

After doing Howard’s DIY driver fitting, I have never been better off the tee than I am now.

What is the total club weight?

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

50 minutes ago, lefthack said:

What is the total club weight?

Yeah. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The grip is a winn midsize at 49 grams

The shaft is listed at 67 grams before it’s 44.25 current playing length  (64 grams?)

The head is a standard ping G410 LST 9 degree loft, I don’t know what the head weighs. It shows that the head weighs 208 grams (assuming no deviation through tolerances )  on their website, but I don’t know if that is with the original weight (it came with a 14 g weight) or without, also I don’t know if that is with the adapter or not? 

if the adapter isn’t added, then someone else may have that info. I couldn’t find it on their web site

i think 208 is without a head weight, since different lengths and shafts have different standard weights. Mine came with a Tensei Orange CK  75x and a 14 gram weight

i currently have an 18 and a 20 gram weight. I have the 20 gram in now. 

208g head

20g headweight 

64g? shaft (was 67, but plays shorter)

49g grip 

adapter? 

341g minus adapter? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  I’d just be assuming, I don’t have a scale. 

• Thanks 1

I just ordered a 70g shaft and will cut it down to play at 44.5 so my total weight SHOULD be about 340g. My 3 wood is 354 so it isn't that heavy.

I got a digital scale off Wish for almost free that seems to do a good job.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I played every driver 44.5 for 15 years with at least a 70 gram shaft. I’m 46 now and last year went to 44.75 and just started using a Srixon ZX7 at 45” with a 64 gram shaft. Results have been great, seems a bit easier to max out my speed and no real change in contact. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

5 hours ago, mxskier said:

My current gamer G400LST is 45" but I am going to go with the SIM2 and Nemesys shaft which is counterbalanced, so I'm thinking of going to a 45.5" to get a bit higher base swing weight and also pick up a bit of club head speed with the longer shaft. The 1/2 inch could maybe help me get from 110 to 112-113, which could be nice.

I'm curious, what length are you playing? Have you changed in one direction or another? And if you did, how did your strike pattern and performance change?

You likely wont see 2-3 mph swing speed with half an inch extra. Might get 1 mph. The nemesys is heavily counterbalanced, like almost 5 sw points, so if you do half an inch you might need to add 2-4g of headweight too.

i just went from 45.25 to 46 and put a ventus black in, and so far its been fantastic.

Going longer this year but for me that is 43” to 44”. Hadn’t played more than once a year for a long time until last summer. I couldn’t control the ball if I even hit it solidly with the 45.5” shaft that was in my driver. Messing around at the range I put a 5 wood shaft into the driver head and voila, solid contact, a nice trajectory, and pretty straight drives with the added bonus of more distance. Really worked to get my swing back to where it used to be and by the end of the year felt I would be able to handle a little bit longer club, so we’ll see how it goes.

• Like 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I have been at 44.5 inches for the past 10 years or so.  My typical driver miss is off the heel, so longer shafts lead to worse results for me.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I play mine at 45” and I’m 6’4”.

Upright lie.

Rox

Edited by roxald

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

45” best blend of Accuracy and distance for me. 6’2” with short arms! Flattest lie angle possible! 

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

45 for the last 2 season and will keep it there. I’ve played 44, 44.25, 44.5, 44.75 and then 2.5 seasons ago I switched back to 45. I had better control with 44 so I played it for years and slowly backed up to the longer length. Finding the best shaft for me made it easier to go longer and still be accurate but it took a little adjusting to. I couldn’t game anything longer than 45. Tested 45.5 at a fitting and I couldn’t get comfortable with it at all.

2 hours ago, Red4282 said:

You likely wont see 2-3 mph swing speed with half an inch extra. Might get 1 mph. The nemesys is heavily counterbalanced, like almost 5 sw points, so if you do half an inch you might need to add 2-4g of headweight too.

i just went from 45.25 to 46 and put a ventus black in, and so far its been fantastic.

I compared my Ping G410 lst with 44.25 inch Xtorsion Copper 60TX and a 20 gram weight to a stock Callaway  Maverik and a stock Taylormade SIM and my highest single ball speed came from the SIM, but I had less than 2 mph difference between the 3 clubs for the highs. My highest overall ball speed came from my Ping, with less than 2mph between all 3 clubs. What really stood apart was the dispersion and overall distance. My Ping was the longest overall, because I hit it in the fairway the most. The SIM was by far the worst off the tee for me, even though I hit my longest drive with it, and had the highest ball speed. I could not turn it over and hit a few blocks right. I had to aim left and play a fade, which I am not accustomed to doing. 

For me, the differences in highest individual ball speed and longest individual drive were eclipsed by dispersion. In fact my was overall ball speed and overall distance was highest the Ping at 44.25 inches

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I compared my Ping G410 lst with 44.25 inch Xtorsion Copper 60TX and a 20 gram weight to a stock Callaway  Maverik and a stock Taylormade SIM and my highest single ball speed came from the SIM, but I had less than 2 mph difference between the 3 clubs for the highs. My highest overall ball speed came from my Ping, with less than 2mph between all 3 clubs. What really stood apart was the dispersion and overall distance. My Ping was the longest overall, because I hit it in the fairway the most. The SIM was by far the worst off the tee for me, even though I hit my longest drive with it, and had the highest ball speed. I could not turn it over and hit a few blocks right. I had to aim left and play a fade, which I am not accustomed to doing. 

For me, the differences in highest individual ball speed and longest individual drive were eclipsed by dispersion. In fact my was overall ball speed and overall distance was highest the Ping at 44.25 inches

For many including yourself you will see thats the case. I think there are certain instances where going longer can be beneficial without too many drawbacks. Its about the build and the fit. Im 6’5” and accustomed to longer play lengths so it makes sense in the driver too. Also, when i made the switch to a longer club i dropped 12 grams in shaft weight, which helped keep static and swingweights down.