Is it acceptable to play slow if you are scratch?

12 hours ago, Shilgy said:

If he is is it him that’s slowing down the group?

4 sets of eyes are better than 1. Should make finding the golf ball much quicker in turn making the group have a faster pace.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

14 hours ago, Carl Spackler3 said:

Slow means 1 thing to me : not keeping up to group in front of you

13 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

That has always been and will always be a poor definition of slow play.

You ain't kiddin' !!!

Why should a group have to chase 4(?) jackrabbits ? What if there's only 2 or 3 in the group in front ?

And other than employees of the course who have to stick around until all golfers are off the course, why should the course care if a group is 5 holes behind so long as that group is not holding up anybody else ?

IMO the group's only responsibilities are 1) to not hold up other groups and 2) to play at a comfortable pace for themselves - which is the question at hand BTW.  :classic_wink:

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 6/27/2021 at 1:32 PM, Greenie said:

I was playing my round yesterday. We teed off on one and there was a group behind us ready to tee off. They teed off right after us when we were out of range. The first hole is a par4,the second a par3, and the third is a par4. When were done teeing off on three they were getting to the second tee box. I mentioned how would you like to be stuck behind that group? I don't know what was ahead but we hit the wall on four and it was extremely slow the rest of the day.

Was there anyone behind them? Not seeing that mentioned. It's assumed, sure. But not actually said. (and they were a three, right?) If there was no one behind them teeing off on 1 after they teed off? No reason to not take your time.... just understand that if someone does catch up, then you should pick up your pace. And as a three, it's not going to be hard. 

That said, if you're not waiting as a threesome on the group in front to clear, you're out of position and the gap in front of you can be considered deliberate and should be asked to pick up the pace by the course. On a crowded course, on a Saturday, there is no reason to even be a half hole behind. If everyone "waited" or "strategically played" so the whole hole was open when teeing off, there would be words needed by the course... if they weren't keeping pace with time of play. As someone said, it's a suggestion, and typically considered a maximum. One should play the hole as expediently as possible while keeping pace with the course (not being the group setting pace). 

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

On 6/30/2021 at 4:44 AM, leekgolf said:

Simply no. Being a good player probably means you should play faster. You don't spend time looking for balls and you hit fewer shots.

No question…..but that has little to do with his routine. 
Playing faster is an overall time.  There are a multitude of ways to play fast with a rather deliberate routine.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

No, unless you're not holding anybody up behind you.

Edited by Tdsjfb

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

The thing I hate most is waiting for a group and seeing someone wait for their turn, then putting their glove on and pulling a club. Just be ready to go when it’s your turn.

As others have said it can be off putting either way. I remember one year playing in a tournament where the 2 favourites were drawn together. One had 14 waggles in his pre shot routine, the other just put the ball on a tee abs hit it. Both played terribly that day.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Played today with a new member and it was borderline.  Probably shot about an adjusted 87.  

I say adjusted since he would lift and place his ball before about 50% of his shots...  But the preshot routine was PAINFUL.  After the 4th hole I started watching the second hand on my watch.  The pre shot routine averaged 53 seconds.  Didn't matter if driver or putter.  From the time he stood behind the ball to lineup/consider his shot/putt - SOOOOO painfully slow.

I can foresee him having issues with the membership.... 

• Sad 1

Its never acceptable to play slow especially if you are a good golfer. Here is why.

A late august PGA tour tournament was set up with 3somes ( part of the fedex cup). The length of course was pinned at 7400 yards. Wing was blowing 15 MPH with some higher gusts,. The course itself due to its lay out and terrain had tee box between each hole many times 40-60 yards away from each other. 

These 3somes with a load of cash and cut line on the horizon, along with their yardage books, calculating the wind,  plum bobbing putts completed their rounds in 3 hours 20 minutes to 3H and 40 minutes. 

Rounds when walking at most courses, by 15-20 handicappers should be comfortably completed in 3:45 minutes or faster. 

9 hours ago, Par Be A Joke said:

Played today with a new member and it was borderline.  Probably shot about an adjusted 87.  

I say adjusted since he would lift and place his ball before about 50% of his shots...  But the preshot routine was PAINFUL.  After the 4th hole I started watching the second hand on my watch.  The pre shot routine averaged 53 seconds.  Didn't matter if driver or putter.  From the time he stood behind the ball to lineup/consider his shot/putt - SOOOOO painfully slow.

I can foresee him having issues with the membership.... 

I read once, i believe it was golf digest magazine a few years ago. Total time of after deciding on your club, addressing and hitting your ball for 18 holes was something like <15 minutes in total.  The gist of the article was what the hell are you doing for the other 4 plus hours?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Shilgy said:

No question…..but that has little to do with his routine. 
Playing faster is an overall time.  There are a multitude of ways to play fast with a rather deliberate routine.

Agreed- he could have visualize his shot, taken his 5 one handed practice swings, found his aiming point and more while waiting for another player to hit. He and his group could play ready golf etc.

It's a hell of a lot easier to play fast when hitting fewer shots and not looking for balls. There isn't much high handicap players can do about that. A good player can be deliberate AND fast.

1 hour ago, Vespar said:

Its never acceptable to play slow especially if you are a good golfer. Here is why.

A late august PGA tour tournament was set up with 3somes ( part of the fedex cup). The length of course was pinned at 7400 yards. Wing was blowing 15 MPH with some higher gusts,. The course itself due to its lay out and terrain had tee box between each hole many times 40-60 yards away from each other. 

These 3somes with a load of cash and cut line on the horizon, along with their yardage books, calculating the wind,  plum bobbing putts completed their rounds in 3 hours 20 minutes to 3H and 40 minutes. 

Rounds when walking at most courses, by 15-20 handicappers should be comfortably completed in 3:45 minutes or faster. 

funnypost.gif

Good grief. Don't you realize it's never a good thing to take a "one off" and apply it to every other similar situation ?

The average Tour TWO-some takes 4 hours.

That 2-some hits approximately 140 shots. The 3-some 210.

Your 15-20 handicappers play in FOUR-somes and take approximately TWICE as many shots as your 3-some and some 2.7 TIMES as many as the average tour 2-some.

Not to mention having to look for their own golf balls and getting into far more trouble.

And you think they should take roughly the same time to play ? bang head.gif

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 2

Titleist Pro V1X

1 hour ago, leekgolf said:

Agreed- he could have visualize his shot, taken his 5 one handed practice swings, found his aiming point and more while waiting for another player to hit. He and his group could play ready golf etc.

It's a hell of a lot easier to play fast when hitting fewer shots and not looking for balls. There isn't much high handicap players can do about that. A good player can be deliberate AND fast.

Sorry, a player can't be deliberate and fast. They are opposites.

And while he certainly could do some of that stuff while others are hitting the problem there is that he is no longer in his "routine" if he does so.

He really needs to figure out how to eliminate some things from his routine; possibly by moving some of those things you mention outside of his routine.

But that takes change - and most don't like change.

Titleist Pro V1X

4 hours ago, nsxguy said:

funnypost.gif

And you think they should take roughly the same time to play ? bang head.gif

I never said that but thanks for drawing that conclusion....sheesh

Chew on this as far as average golfer time to play 18.... 

What is the average time to play 18 holes of golf?

Conventional wisdom holds that the average time to play a round of 18 holes of golf is approximately four hours. For example, the Hammock Creek golf club in Florida tracked average playing times by month for nearly two years, and the average worked out to four hours and eleven seconds.

so yeas a professional PGA tour 3 some can play it 3:30 minutes, I witnessed it myself. 

No need to respond for this is deviating from the topic

Edited by Vespar

On 6/27/2021 at 11:16 AM, ThinkingPlus said:

No it is never acceptable to be slow.  However, "slow" means different things to different people.  There are some who view anything over 3 hours as slow for 18 holes.  For some it is 3.5 hours.  Others it is 4 hours or more.  I find rabbits to be just as inconsiderate as the turtles.  Playing bad golf quickly has no merit the same as playing good golf slowly.

Additionally, better players do have the luxury of taking a little more time per shot because they usually make fewer strokes and have fewer search/penalty situations.  Abusing that luxury is poor etiquette.

Absolutely true. It's not a speed march.  3:45- 4hrs is my expected time with others on the course. 3:30 if there's no one in front.

I try to keep up with the group in front of us, within reason.

I'm not slow, but I take my tie on the greens. I'm not a long hitter, so chipping and putting is how I keep my scores down.

To me, slow players are the ones not ready to hit when it's their turn. People who don't know how to play cart golf drive up the wall!

Edited by RainShadow
  • Like 2

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

3 hours ago, Vespar said:

I never said that but thanks for drawing that conclusion....sheesh

Chew on this as far as average golfer time to play 18.... 

What is the average time to play 18 holes of golf?

Conventional wisdom holds that the average time to play a round of 18 holes of golf is approximately four hours. For example, the Hammock Creek golf club in Florida tracked average playing times by month for nearly two years, and the average worked out to four hours and eleven seconds.

so yeas a professional PGA tour 3 some can play it 3:30 minutes, I witnessed it myself. 

No need to respond for this is deviating from the topic

It was incredibly easy to draw that, or at least similar, conclusion.

Nobody, including me, said that tour players couldn't play in 3:30. I never said that but thanks for drawing that conclusion....sheesh :classic_laugh:

I'd say "conventional wisdom" is wrong. IMO 4 hours is a good time for most groups; certainly not average. Most courses would be tickled pink if everyone played in 4 hours.

Then again, I've only regularly played public courses in or close to urban areas and almost always on the weekends. After the first hour or 2 of tee times a group was lucky to finish in 5 hours.

Later. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

On 6/28/2021 at 2:09 PM, krtgolfing said:

100 shots at 30 seconds each equals 50 minutes.

72 shots at 1 minute each equals. 72 minutes.

Answer is no! 

Now factor in the 100 shooter hitting mulligans, searching for balls, the additional walking time for all those extra 20-30 shots, the fact that the entire group has to wait behind you or risk getting hit, etc.

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

No.  It would be an encroachment on his playing partners allocation  of time.  No man should encroach on another man’s time. Everyone starts a round with the expectation to finish somewhere between 3 to 5 hours depending on venue, how busy, and level of player ability.  We generally understand this if you are out in the afternoon compared to the expectation in a morning round.  The routine the OP described is just asinine and makes me wonder if the guy struggles finding playing partners.  As others have mentioned, it is not how well you play, it is the courtesy you extend to others when you play.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10° Tour AD UB 6s // TS2 15° Tour AD UB 7s // 913F 19º w/ Kai'li 70s

Nike VR ProCombo (2011) 3-P w/ DG S200

Nike VR 54.12º & 58.06º w/ DG S200 

SC 2014 Select Newport 

ProV1 '23

I was behind a solo woman.  She was a very good player and was at the course practicing for a tournament being held there a week away.  

She was behind a foursome and I was in a group of three.

She would hit one tee shot then proceed to hit 3-4 approach shots into the green and putt them all out.  Reading each putt like a LPGA pro would.

At first I didn't care because hitting multiple balls as a solo is common practice for me when behind a large group.  Something to pass the time, but still keeping pace.  

Eventually she was two holes behind the foursome and the front nine was approaching three hours for us.

Keep in mind she was doing this on the 4th of July holiday weekend! 

By only hitting 1 tee shot we were never in position to catch her so we couldn't play through. 

Eventually I just left at the turn.  I didn't have 6+ hours to waste at the course.  

I have a membership so I wasn't out green fees. 

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Never acceptable to play slow. Handicap is completely irrelevant. The frustrating waits on tee boxes, the ridiculously long weekend rounds? They are measured by the numbers on a watch, not the numbers on a scorecard.

Don't care how good anyone is - they either keep up with the group in front of them (really all one can do), or they are torturing all of us. And there is no difference between being tortured by a scratch golfer or a 20 handicap.

I'm not a fan of watching NetFlix on my phone between every hole. Screen is too small.

Edited by bobfoster
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

21 hours ago, bobfoster said:

I'm not a fan of watching NetFlix on my phone between every hole. Screen is too small.

I have Amazon Prime, where I can watch PGA Live through it. I usually will have it open, muted, through a round on the weekends. 

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe to continue to topic, what would you say is an acceptable pace for putting?

One topic that I really struggle with is that many high handicappers are frustrating fast when it comes to putting; no practice swing or no reading greens.

TaylorMade SIM 9.0*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 X

TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 X

TaylorMade SIM DHY 3, SteelFiber i95 Stiff

TaylorMade P770 4-6, MMT 125 TX

TaylorMade P7MC 7-PW, MMT 125 TX

TaylorMade MG2 50, 56@55, 60, DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

On 6/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, Greenie said:

So my question is. Are these methods of routine acceptable when you are good?  

Pre shot routines are very helpful towards playing consistently good golf. There is absolutely no good sense reason that a pre shot routine be especially time consuming.

• Like 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, Nevek said:

Maybe to continue to topic, what would you say is an acceptable pace for putting?

One topic that I really struggle with is that many high handicappers are frustrating fast when it comes to putting; no practice swing or no reading greens.

Do you only start to read the green when it's your turn? Then you have 40 seconds from start of read to the time you hit the putt. 

You should start reading before it's your turn (if you can, of course) so it really shouldn't be 40 seconds *more* once it is your turn... you should have your shot pretty good to go by then. That's my biggest attribution to "you're taking too long"... watching someone gabbing on the green,  doing nothing, watching the rolls, and then only starts to do their thing once it's their turn. Shold be able to multi-task, line up while others are playing their shots, and watching their rolls. 

And, if you're going to take another 40 seconds for a 1 foot putt on a fairly green if you missed, we may have words something like "while we're young." You did all your looking before your putt, and it didn't change between shots. 

• Thanks 1

No reason to play slow. Period. If you want to play slow, pick up some bowling shoes and go to your loca Bowling alley and get off my golf course. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I think there is less excuse for a good player to be slow.  I'm far and away the best player in my regular circle of playing partners and if I ever felt like I was the reason we weren't moving around the course at a nice pace I'd be embarrassed.  It's our job as the most accomplished, and often most knowledgeable of rules and etiquette, to keep the round moving.  With great power comes great responsibility.  

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

It usually is about being prepared.  There are things you should do before its "your turn" to play.  It's the guy who is oblivious to the world, then all of the sudden somebody says "you're away", and it just dawns on them that now they need to get their yardage, check the wind, pick a club, start their routine.......

It's like the person in line at the check out at the grocery store, watching things go down the line, then the person tells them its time to pay, and they act like they are shocked and start fumbling around for their wallet or purse, even worse if they are paying by check, but they are all flustered like they have never done this before....as the five people in line behind them glare at them.....

• Like 1

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

NO to the OPs question. 

But It's important to realize, POP and resulting skill do NOT go hand-in-hand.  A persons POP is driven by how quickly he/she takes in and processes information and preparedness.  Difference is like 8-bit vs 64-bit. 

Then there's this; slow or fast are POP extremes, reason I tend to ignore both.  If someone can't stomach the pop of another person, there's a good chance he/she has problems tolerating differences in people.  I have a friend that plays much faster than me, and I play relatively fast.  He gets frustrated with people in front of us often which leads to his constant complaining.  Last time I had to tell him to shut-the-hell up; it's tiring to listen to, no matter the subject.  We've known each other for years, so we say what we're thinking.  His frustration with others permeates most aspects of his life, and it costs him in ways he'll never fathom. 

For those reasons, we won't ever find an equitable solution for POP.   So, why whine about something YOU can never control.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

On 6/27/2021 at 5:49 PM, cadoipi said:

"Is it acceptable to play slow if you are scratch?" -No!

However it sounds like the group behind you was playing at a pace that "matched the speed of traffic" on the course.  Perhaps this guy often plays the course at similar times and knows it will be impossible to play in less than 4.5 hours given the situation on the course.  With this information he has a choice, either play fast just so he can hurry up and wait before every tee/approach shot or play slow enough that he is never waiting (but without delaying the the group behind him since there is no where for them to go). 

Perhaps his elaborate pre-shot routine is special to situations like this where the course is backed up and he purposely does it so he does not have to wait a few minutes before each tee/approach shot.  I see no problem with this as long as he is playing at "the speed of traffic on the course"

This is exactly what I thought. Living in New England where weekend rounds are almost always 5 hrs. You have to learn to set your pace to match the pace of the day or expect to be frustrated from the start. When I play on an uncrowded course, It typically takes me about 3-3.5 hrs. When playing in crowded conditions, my routine doesn't really change, but I will sometimes add practice swings to keep the muscles loose (older guy). So I can see this being the situation in the OP's observations.

BT

• Like 3

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize