How much golf needed to get to/maintain scratch?

I know this is very subjective to the individual player but I am just curious. I have been playing as much as I can (typically one range session and one round a week) without being away from my family too much. I am just curious how many scratch golfers play as infrequently as I do. I imagine 2-3 rounds a week and 2 range sessions might be more the norm for better players but wondering your thoughts. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Srixon ZX 3 wood 15 degree

Srixon ZX utility 3 and 4 iron with nippon tour 105 shafts

Srixon ZX-7 5-P nippon tour 105 shafts

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Scotty Cameron Special Squareback Select 2 putter

Ping Hoofer Lite Tour bag

Srixon Z Star XV balls

I have a friend that is a +4 atm and plays tournaments but typically his work schedule and what not only permit him to play once a week and get maybe one or two range sessions in unless he's playing in qualifiers. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I've maintained scratch this year (only 15 rounds total) with one range session and only 6 of those rounds being tournament golf. Last 5 in a row are sub 70 on par 72 over the course of 8 weeks. I struggled last year with staying  below a 5, and this year everything just "clicked" if you will. I can imagine this will vary year to year for me, and not for other guys. Golf is so dynamic as far as scoring goes from individual to individual that I expect a wide array of answers in this thread. 

• Like 1

The answer to some extent depends on where you're coming from. Trying to get to scratch for the first time means you're probably doing SOMETHING golf related every day, for a couple of hours. Full swing, short game, putting, playing ... you need all of those things to be essentially reliable. You don't get there without putting in the work?

For someone that used to be scratch, getting back there is probably more in the 2-4 days a week doing something.

For someone going from +4 to scratch? Just pick up the clubs and play ... 🙂

• Like 4

To answer your question, not much.  Once mechanics are in muscle memory, and the mental side of golf is ingrained not much is needed to maintain.  Of course, it depends on your physical abilities. 

I maintain my 3-5 index with 1 maybe 2 rds per week and no range time.  Haven't been to the range in over two years. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Getting there is a formula of your ability and the work you put in. Some need more than the other. 

I think the longer you stay at scratch or better, the faster you get back there. If you've entered that realm via a hot streak and can't maintain it, then you have a lot more work to do than someone who's been a + for multiple years. 

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

I'm not scratch but my boss is a +1... He started golf as an adult it took him a couple years of playing/practicing 2/3x a week.  Once he got there he never practices and plays one or two times a week.  He's a very athletic person so he picked up golf easily... most people wouldn't do it as easily as him, but many do.

In my case, I played some as a kid and took 20+ years off, only playing once a year at most.  Went from a 20 hcp (or more) down to 7.0 in a year of playing/practicing 2/3x a week.  Once I get rid of these shanks I feel like it will take me another year or two of playing/practicing 2/3x a week to get to scratch.  It might not ever happen.

-Mag

To get there depends on natural ability and when you take it up, I think it's probably easier when you are younger. For me it was probably 3 solid years when I played in high school with a fair amount of lessons to get there. Now I play maybe twice a month and practice 1-2 times a week and have been able to maintain it, though I got as low as a +3 at my best. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

This is a great topic that I ponder.  I'm always on DL as I'm coming off achilies surgery now from a year ago and still getting back to scratch... but wonder how little can I play and play par golf.... in order to take the strain off my body so I dont go back on the DL by playin a lot.

From what I remember it does not take much to maintain scratch golf as it becomes simple to play par golf once you can on the regular if that makes sense lol...  Its physical and mental.  1 in fairway 1 on green and 2 putting isnt tough.... the couple birds you pick up offsets any sprays.  But once you get there not tough to stay there... bogeys mean something weird went wrong which obviously happens but feels distant from your game and doesnt bother you too much cause kinda funny, like oh I sucked on that one lol and if you get robbed by a bad lie etc then not on you either and also take it light hearted

Edited by Barfolomew
  • Like 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts

3 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

To get there depends on natural ability and when you take it up, I think it's probably easier when you are younger. For me it was probably 3 solid years when I played in high school with a fair amount of lessons to get there. Now I play maybe twice a month and practice 1-2 times a week and have been able to maintain it, though I got as low as a +3 at my best. 

Indeed, its pretty easy to see scratch golfers come in various forms, mainly those who picked the game up early vs later in life. Very different looking swings that require different levels of upkeep. There is the occasional non-conventional swing that the guy has clearly owned for 20+ years though

Definitely some surprising responses. I thought it would be a lot tougher to maintain it. I guess if you have a good swing grooved, it is not hard to keep it going once a week. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Srixon ZX 3 wood 15 degree

Srixon ZX utility 3 and 4 iron with nippon tour 105 shafts

Srixon ZX-7 5-P nippon tour 105 shafts

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Scotty Cameron Special Squareback Select 2 putter

Ping Hoofer Lite Tour bag

Srixon Z Star XV balls

Currently a 4 index and was in the low 2's last year. I basically play once every other week and never practice. I think it would take me playing 2-3X a week for 3-4 months straight and some practice and I would be at scratch. If I played the tips at my home course it would also help as well (it's a couple strokes harder rating on the card but not really any "harder" for me).

YMMV

-ZA

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

1 minute ago, SouthBayGolfer said:

Definitely some surprising responses. I thought it would be a lot tougher to maintain it. I guess if you have a good swing grooved, it is not hard to keep it going once a week. 

I am beginning to realize "grooving" a swing really translates to how well you compensate. You can have some quirks in your swing, but if you play enough you can keep your compensations pretty well timed such that you can play decent golf. If you have a really mechanically sound swing, it may not take a lot because you simply have to compensate less. There are also guys who play 4 times a week and struggle to break 90...

I've played with scratch golfers in our local muni tournaments who have ugly swings, old clubs, does not have a membership, plays once a week / 15 to 20 times a year (short season in Canada) and rarely has time to visit the range. And I have buddies who plays 100 games from April to October and cannot even break 80. 

Life is so unfair. lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anser3 said:

IIRC, Greg took up the game in his late teens)

Yeah, he started at like 15 and was scratch by 18 and turned pro around 20 I think. 

Dude's kind of a tool but ya gotta respect that. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

For those with single digit handicaps, he's asking about scratch golfers.  That is not us.  Going from a 14 to a 4 is a lot easier than going from a 4 to scratch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

6 hours ago, SouthBayGolfer said:

I know this is very subjective to the individual player but I am just curious. I have been playing as much as I can (typically one range session and one round a week) without being away from my family too much. I am just curious how many scratch golfers play as infrequently as I do. I imagine 2-3 rounds a week and 2 range sessions might be more the norm for better players but wondering your thoughts. 

To get a scratch? Play 3x times a week. Or more. To stay there, once a week is fine. 

I can't compete against top ams in my age bracket, but I can maintain scratch there.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Friend of mine played 11 rounds one year. 6 of them were alternate shot and one practice round. The other four were tournament rounds. For those he shot 66, 69, 67 and 71. On proper golf courses. 

My standard answer to this question is you really don't need to play much. Bruce Lietzke managed to not touch a club through the off season and come out as a top level tour player. The catch is you have to have put in the time somewhere. My friend I mentioned was practising and playing for several hours a day during school holidays when he was around 12-18. He put in his time and is able to walk onto a golf course having not played in a month and shoot par or below. I've played about 20 rounds this year and my index is +0.4 right now. What's really hard is to get better without playing or practising a lot. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

5 hours ago, Anser3 said:

A lot depends on your God-Given ability.  Greg Norman and Jack Nicklaus both reached scratch very quickly  (IIRC, Greg took up the game in his late teens).  Of course, one is the best ever and the other is one of the best ever. 

they both practised for many hours a day, every day, to get there though. So did Faldo.

Might have been 'quick' in years, but not in the volume of work they did to get there

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

To answer your question, not much.  Once mechanics are in muscle memory, and the mental side of golf is ingrained not much is needed to maintain.  Of course, it depends on your physical abilities. 

I maintain my 3-5 index with 1 maybe 2 rds per week and no range time.  Haven't been to the range in over two years. 

For almost everyone, its a lot of work to get to scratch. Golf pretty much has to be your main focus. Maintaining it is a different matter.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, goaliedad30 said:

The answer to some extent depends on where you're coming from. Trying to get to scratch for the first time means you're probably doing SOMETHING golf related every day, for a couple of hours. Full swing, short game, putting, playing ... you need all of those things to be essentially reliable. You don't get there without putting in the work?

For someone that used to be scratch, getting back there is probably more in the 2-4 days a week doing something.

For someone going from +4 to scratch? Just pick up the clubs and play ... 🙂

You mean 4 cap, not +4.  +4 cap means you shoot under par on a regular basis.  😉

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I've been playing 6 years. Late 30s start. Desk job. Not athletic at this point in my life, but very enthusiastic. Started as total beginner and can now boast a hc estimate of high single or low double digits. I haven't tracked in awhile, but made a lot of big progress this past year. Injuries have derailed me a lot, and age of start and desk job didn't help.

I originally took the question as how long it takes a beginner to get to scratch, kind of like the 10k hours to mastery idea. For me, 6 years has not been enough, playing sometimes 4 times a week (less range than play).

Superior hand eye in game type scenarios (billiards, darts, shuffleboard, driving), but sport scenarios I'm just too many years removed from an active life.

I hope to become scratch before age decline really makes it impossible. Already not super long (got longer with improvements this year), so it's very uphill. 45 now, so I suspect I've got another 5 years to get the reps in. After that it would take a lifestyle change to have a shot, and with a young family I'm not likely to escape the desk anytime soon.

I got down to a +2 my last year in college in '74. I was playing 27-36 holes everyday Monday-Friday and 18 on Saturday and Sunday. My goal was to be able to play high level amateur golf and I knew to achieve that my worst score had to be 72 or 73. My average score back then was 68. I never went to the range because our club did not have a range. I just played and practiced my putting and chipping. It was a lot of work. Now I play very little but I'm still able to shoot 76 or less playing the course at around 6800 yds. I feel that all the work I put into my game years ago taught me how to manage my game and how to score and it's carried over through the years.

I play a lot of golf with former collegiate and Mini Tour players, rarely see any of them hit the range. Maybe a small bucket before a  local tournament is it.

They are almost all scratch or better. My son has been scratch a long time, he never does range time anymore. He will be on the practice green putting while waiting for me or his buddies.to show up for a tee time.

Once you have a dependable swing and way to get out of trouble it's pretty easy to maintain scratch. The difficult part is having the mental strength to avoid messing with it once you have it.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

10 minutes ago, nitram said:

Once you have a dependable swing and way to get out of trouble it's pretty easy to maintain scratch. The difficult part is having the mental strength to avoid messing with it once you have it.

Very true..the ones I know ones that have maintained scratch for a long period of time have a couple of things in common. Started playing early as a kid or when they started playing they got really good quick with their own swing or very little instruction for the most part. 

All If my friends that worked hard to get to scratch go back to being a 8 handicap once work or kids get in the way.