How far do you hit your driving iron, REALLY?

So I know this is WRX, and some of you hit Koepka-like bombs 270 yards, but for the vast majority, if you hit iron off the tee as your driving club, how far do you hit it. 

I have been through SIM UDI, U510, HMB, U85, CB ProH...I just don’t hit driving irons very straight or very far. I’ll have a day where I stripe it, but on the whole it’s not really giving me accuracy or a ton of distance. Maybe 225-230 at MOST. 

Been thinkin about putting a low loft hybrid in the bag and using 4i as my longest iron, and hitting that from the tee. It would probably go about 215 or so when flushed. 205-210 more often. 

That feels like it’s probably long enough most places when I have to find the fairway or the longer clubs are not working that day. 

So how far do you hit your driving iron? Or do you just play the longest iron in your set as a “driving iron?”

If Not hitting it far enough, then more long irons into greens doesn’t seem like a totally great move either. So just tryin to decide about the top end of my bag. 

My "Golf Digest" WITB

Ping G400 8.5* | Tour 75X // Ping G400 Stretch 12* | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.5 // Ping G20 16.5* | Diamana WB 73X // Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW | DG X100  // Mizuno JPX 919 50/55/60 | KBS CT Lite S // Cleveland Frontline Elevado 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cool....

I wonder if some people measure in feet instead of yards.

2017 P790UDI HZRDUS black 6.5   Off the tee, 260+ definitely pulled it out on par 4's and 5's trying to play it "safe" and take water and sand out of play.. to promptly then hit it into thos

I'm playing a GAPR 3 mid turned down to 16.5*. It is usually in the 230-240 range. Last weekend the stars aligned and I had a few pushing 260+ but that was an outlier round. I'm sure I'll be back to Earth this weekend.

You’re off 3 woods and on too driving irons ?  Lol.  Try a g410 2 or 3 hybrid.  Easiest to hit on earth.   Very flat setting if you hit a draw.   

as for driving irons.  It depends on my opinion on your approach.  Here’s what I do off the tee. I tee the ball up a little and pick it off the tee. I hover the club and return it to wherever I start.  I’ve been told that messes with some people’s minds.  I don’t know. That comment came when somebody saw me hit a iron off a driver tee.  I did it to elevate over a dogleg from a tee that was moved way up by maintenance.    I guess my point is I can hit a driving iron a mile teeing it up an inch and picking it.  But off the deck I hate them for the wide sole.  That’s me. I struggle with crisp contact.  That’s why I won’t play one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
Artisan   53 59 s400
Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

You’re off 3 woods and on too driving irons ?  Lol.  Try a g410 2 or 3 hybrid.  Easiest to hit on earth.   Very flat setting if you hit a draw.   

as for driving irons.  It depends on my opinion on your approach.  Here’s what I do off the tee. I tee the ball up a little and pick it off the tee. I hover the club and return it to wherever I start.  I’ve been told that messes with some people’s minds.  I don’t know. That comment came when somebody saw me hit a iron off a driver tee.  I did it to elevate over a dogleg from a tee that was moved way up by maintenance.    I guess my point is I can hit a driving iron a mile teeing it up an inch and picking it.  But off the deck I hate them for the wide sole.  That’s me. I struggle with crisp contact.  That’s why I won’t play one. 

Haha I am off 3 woods, and driving irons are the current craze, yes. I have a Mizuno CLK 16* hybrid comin that should be a pretty straight shootin 240ish club, but never know. It arrives today (assuming FedEx doesn't royally botch this like the 3 boxes that have been sittin on a trailer at the FedEx shipping station for 11 days!!). 

I don't love hitting iron anyways, but obviously there are some holes where you cannot go right or left or you're dead, or the layup is a number that only an iron can get to, and anything longer would be trouble. I used to hit a Srixon 545 3 Iron bent a couple degrees strong with an old school Speeder shaft in it, but it snapped right above the hosel, which sent me on this wild goose chase for a new driving iron. Replaced the shaft, but it was never the same. 

My "Golf Digest" WITB

Ping G400 8.5* | Tour 75X // Ping G400 Stretch 12* | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.5 // Ping G20 16.5* | Diamana WB 73X // Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW | DG X100  // Mizuno JPX 919 50/55/60 | KBS CT Lite S // Cleveland Frontline Elevado 

I have a G400 crossover at 20 degrees, i hit it about 225 or so

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic Subzero 13 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

SGC Northwood 400g

20 minutes ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

Haha I am off 3 woods, and driving irons are the current craze, yes. I have a Mizuno CLK 16* hybrid comin that should be a pretty straight shootin 240ish club, but never know. It arrives today (assuming FedEx doesn't royally botch this like the 3 boxes that have been sittin on a trailer at the FedEx shipping station for 11 days!!). 

I don't love hitting iron anyways, but obviously there are some holes where you cannot go right or left or you're dead, or the layup is a number that only an iron can get to, and anything longer would be trouble. I used to hit a Srixon 545 3 Iron bent a couple degrees strong with an old school Speeder shaft in it, but it snapped right above the hosel, which sent me on this wild goose chase for a new driving iron. Replaced the shaft, but it was never the same. 

Do you hit a hybrid high or low ?  Or I guess a better question. Do you hit everything really high ?    If so I have a hybrid for you.  A    B stone tour B 18.  Let me know if that CLk doesn’t suit.  I’ll send this head up to you , no strings.  I’d love to see someone use it.  Lowest launch hybrid on earth.   ( as in stingers not hard to hit low ) I played it as a 2 iron for a while. Actual launched too low off the deck for effective par 5 use for me on big courses.  But perfect for tee work.   

• Like 1

TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
Artisan   53 59 s400
Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

I hit my Srixon u45 20* about 225, give or take, dhy 4h goes about 210 or so. I hit the Srixon fairly low so it's not like I ever bomb it, nor am I trying to. Just want something low and straight that hits the fairway.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Do you hit a hybrid high or low ?  Or I guess a better question. Do you hit everything really high ?    If so I have a hybrid for you.  A    B stone tour B 18.  Let me know if that CLk doesn’t suit.  I’ll send this head up to you , no strings.  I’d love to see someone use it.  Lowest launch hybrid on earth.   ( as in stingers not hard to hit low ) I played it as a 2 iron for a while. Actual launched too low off the deck for effective par 5 use for me on big courses.  But perfect for tee work.   

I hit most clubs high (including 2,3 iron). CLK should be lower, but will have to see. I will definitely let you know....Lord knows I'm always up for trying something new! 

My "Golf Digest" WITB

1 minute ago, VNutz said:

I hit my Srixon u45 20* about 225, give or take, dhy 4h goes about 210 or so. I hit the Srixon fairly low so it's not like I ever bomb it, nor am I trying to. Just want something low and straight that hits the fairway.

Yea that's kinda what I'm thinking. If I can hit this Hot Metal Pro 4i 215 or so, I'm probably ok. I don't need 270 out of this club, but I also don't wanna be hitting 4 iron - 4 iron into the green on par 4s. That doesn't seem like a good solution to help score. 

My "Golf Digest" WITB

2017 P790UDI HZRDUS black 6.5

Off the tee, 260+ definitely pulled it out on par 4's and 5's trying to play it "safe" and take water and sand out of play.. to promptly then hit it into those hazards. 

Off the deck 240~ish total with varying amounts of roll, really depends on that day

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

Been thinkin about putting a low loft hybrid in the bag and using 4i as my longest iron, and hitting that from the tee. It would probably go about 215 or so when flushed. 205-210 more often. 

My iron set came with a 22* 4i. I refitted from KBS Tour 90-R (about 95 grams trimmed) to a SteelFiber HLS 780 hybrid shaft (R, 75 grams). I use this primarily as a driving iron for tight holes where a driver would bypass the landing area. Also good on longish par 3 holes where a hybrid could fly the green.

It carries about 170-180, and will run out another 15 yards or so. From the tee, I tee it about 1/4" high and swing it like a driver.

If I'm swinging well, I can also hit it from a good fairway lie. 

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary)

Driver:  Calla XR16 Pro set 11.5°  ||  Fairways:  Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W or Calla Alpha 815s set 16° and 21°

Hybrid:  Cobra FlyZ 4H  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3 / 48° and 54°... MD4 / 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)

For details see: WITB_Long.docx

I've been playing a Srixon U65 18* that I hit 220-235.  I can hit it further, but high spin kills it. The Miyazaki Stiff shaft has too much flex, and when I try to really turn on one, it is a hook machine. 

I recently got a TM TP UDI 2 iron with a C-Taper Lite 110 S that matches my irons. It is 2 in shorter than the Srixon and goes about the same distance, but with a lower spin, and lower trajectory. Carry is 220-225, but it will roll out further than the Srixon if the fairways are dry.

The thing is that I really don't want it to go any further, as I use it on dogleg Par 4s and par 5s where a 250 yard shot gets you in trouble. Straight is the priority with the DI, which is my the Srixon is out of the bag until I get around to reshafting it.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, COL_B said:

I've been playing a Srixon U65 18* that I hit 220-235.  I can hit it further, but high spin kills it. The Miyazaki Stiff shaft has too much flex, and when I try to really turn on one, it is a hook machine. 

I recently got a TM TP UDI 2 iron with a C-Taper Lite 110 S that matches my irons. It is 2 in shorter than the Srixon and goes about the same distance, but with a lower spin, and lower trajectory. Carry is 220-225, but it will roll out further than the Srixon if the fairways are dry.

The thing is that I really don't want it to go any further, as I use it on dogleg Par 4s and par 5s where a 250 yard shot gets you in trouble. Straight is the priority with the DI, which is my the Srixon is out of the bag until I get around to reshafting it.

Good stuff! Sounds like the UDI is the ticket. Thanks for sharing

My "Golf Digest" WITB

I have a Ping G410 hybrid 3 on order, but I ordered it from a builder to get an X shaft, and they are taking their sweet time with it. I have gotten so spoiled by eBay and Golf Galaxy I failed to read the fine print on Fairway Jockey's fulfillment policy: 

Stock Clubs – 2-4 weeks, Ping is 5-6 weeks

They added that Ping part after I submitted my order on 24 August.

I'm looking at this as a Par 5 approach stick, not for the tee. Generally hybrids don't agree with me, and seem to exaggerate my miss - either left or right. Which is why I went with DIs in the first place.

But I am totally enamored with my G410 LST driver, so I ordered the hybrid on a whim.

Edited by COL_B

I know exactly how far I can carry my utility iron. 

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 UST Proforce V2 8F5
Taylormade Gapr low 2 
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Cobra King Utility set at 20.5*. According to Shotscope, I average 215, long of 235. My target distance for that club is 220-225, so I'm in range.  

It's on it's way out of the bag though. I hit my hybrid more consistently and about the same distance (hybrid slightly longer), so I'm leaning toward replacing the driving iron with a 60 degree. 

Edited by Mych

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: Cobra F9 9.5 ~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h ~ Cobra King Utility ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL ~ Ping Sigma G Piper 3

I play the Callaway UT 18 degree with the evenflow hybrid 85 x shaft.  I find it works best if you treat it like a mid iron and hit down on it - get some turf interaction.  I can get about 230 yards through the air out of it and on a very flat trajectory.  It will roll another 20 yards or so on most tee shots.  

Edited by Dr. Block
3 hours ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

So I know this is WRX, and some of you hit Koepka-like bombs 270 yards, but for the vast majority, if you hit iron off the tee as your driving club, how far do you hit it. 

I have been through SIM UDI, U510, HMB, U85, CB ProH...I just don’t hit driving irons very straight or very far. I’ll have a day where I stripe it, but on the whole it’s not really giving me accuracy or a ton of distance. Maybe 225-230 at MOST. 

That feels like it’s probably long enough most places when I have to find the fairway or the longer clubs are not working that day. 

So how far do you hit your driving iron? Or do you just play the longest iron in your set as a “driving iron?”

If Not hitting it far enough, then more long irons into greens doesn’t seem like a totally great move either. So just tryin to decide about the top end of my bag. 

I don't have a "driving iron" because I play older irons, but I have a '94 Hogan Apex 2-iron at 19° and it averages 240y (224 carry) with rollout. I only use it course dependently, for links golf or on windy days as an alternative to 3w or 3h off the tee. The rest of the time it stays home.

It's probably nowhere near as optimal as a proper utility or driving iron because my 4i at 25.5° carries just north of 200y and my 19° 3h carries 220 with less roll.

Edited by Bubbtubbs
  • Like 1

Was playing a 23* U85 as a 4 iron replacement, but predominately used off the tee on short Par 4s. Hitting 205-210. Just changed up my bag though. Now using a 17* hybrid in the "driving iron" role. Lower flight, lower spin, 240-250. 

• Like 1

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

52 Ping Glide 3.0

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

18 degree U45 and off the tee it ranges from 240-250 on "good" strikes.  It gets the ball up there, so downwind it can really go - I've used it a few times as a "safety" club to be short of a hazard only to find myself right in said hazard.  Off the deck it's a good amount less - more like 230 at most.  I use this club to bridge gap from my 4 iron to 4W.  Can effectively choke it down to take enough off for 220-230 gap where 3 iron would be.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

I know exactly how far I can carry my utility iron. 

Cool....

• Haha 3

My "Golf Digest" WITB

I recently added a hmb 3i with a 100g hybrid shaft. It will swap in and out with my 3h depending on the course and conditions. I carry it 215-220. But when I hit it off the tee it's almost always a low bullet stinger type shot. No idea of the carry number but it will run out between 240 and 250. That same low trap bullet draw with the hybrid can get away left if I'm not careful. 

4 hours ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

I'm about 6 months ahead of you in this journey I guess.  I spent a few years trying different driving irons -- all the ones you mentioned.  I could hit them great some days but other days I'd have one or two bad swings where they killed my round (or I killed my round with them).  I actually had a few versions of the Srixon U series in different lofts and really wanted to love them.  Eventually switched to TM Rocketballs FW metals.  I have a 5 metal at 19 degrees that I almost always hit really well with no bad tops or hooks.  Realized that I have way more confidence with it and it makes the game much easier than the DI.  I also have a 22 degree F7 hybrid that I use as a 4i.  Much more consistent than the DIs and about 15 yards shorter than the RBZ 5 wood.  I'm pretty sure this end of my bag is pretty much set.  Can't imagine it getting any more consistent.  I hope you find what works for you. 

Still have the Srixon 545 3 iron lying around?  

I played a TM UDI (original) forever.  It was a 18* and I hit it 240-260 depending upon the fairway.  It didn't go very high, but was great when I went to Scotland.  All of a sudden it stopped going anywhere.  It was going 210-220.  I had others hit it and the head itself was fine.  I tried different shafts, but for some reason I hit it high on the club head every time and it went nowhere.  I went with a SGI 18* iron for awhile and it was good for awhile, then the longish heel to toe length issue I have with irons started revealing it's ugly head again.

Now I am on to a 17* Ping G400 hybrid.  My swing went wonky for two weeks and it was horrible, so was everything else.  I hit it well again last weekend too, back to my happy place.  I am in the process of testing the Tour Edge Exotics 17* hybrid, but need to put a shaft in it that I like.  I find the correct weight and profile is even more important with the low lofted hybrids than it was with the driving irons.  I can hit it 250-260 and I have played a high cut from 220(I really need a club between it and my first 24* iron) 

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 3 Wood - TM M5 (15*) on HZRDOUS Yellow or Ping G410 (14.5*) on HZRDOUS yellow
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17* on Tour 85. ************* Member Tester TE Exotics Pro 17* on Tensei AV silver ****************
  • Irons - SUB70 testing ongoing
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 54 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 58 and 62
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or  Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV