How far do you hit your driving iron, REALLY?

Duffner's Waggle

So I know this is WRX, and some of you hit Koepka-like bombs 270 yards, but for the vast majority, if you hit iron off the tee as your driving club, how far do you hit it. 

I have been through SIM UDI, U510, HMB, U85, CB ProH...I just don’t hit driving irons very straight or very far. I’ll have a day where I stripe it, but on the whole it’s not really giving me accuracy or a ton of distance. Maybe 225-230 at MOST. 

Been thinkin about putting a low loft hybrid in the bag and using 4i as my longest iron, and hitting that from the tee. It would probably go about 215 or so when flushed. 205-210 more often. 

That feels like it’s probably long enough most places when I have to find the fairway or the longer clubs are not working that day. 

So how far do you hit your driving iron? Or do you just play the longest iron in your set as a “driving iron?”

If Not hitting it far enough, then more long irons into greens doesn’t seem like a totally great move either. So just tryin to decide about the top end of my bag. 

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

You’re off 3 woods and on too driving irons ?  Lol.  Try a g410 2 or 3 hybrid.  Easiest to hit on earth.   Very flat setting if you hit a draw.   

as for driving irons.  It depends on my opinion on your approach.  Here’s what I do off the tee. I tee the ball up a little and pick it off the tee. I hover the club and return it to wherever I start.  I’ve been told that messes with some people’s minds.  I don’t know. That comment came when somebody saw me hit a iron off a driver tee.  I did it to elevate over a dogleg from a tee that was moved way up by maintenance.    I guess my point is I can hit a driving iron a mile teeing it up an inch and picking it.  But off the deck I hate them for the wide sole.  That’s me. I struggle with crisp contact.  That’s why I won’t play one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

You’re off 3 woods and on too driving irons ?  Lol.  Try a g410 2 or 3 hybrid.  Easiest to hit on earth.   Very flat setting if you hit a draw.   

as for driving irons.  It depends on my opinion on your approach.  Here’s what I do off the tee. I tee the ball up a little and pick it off the tee. I hover the club and return it to wherever I start.  I’ve been told that messes with some people’s minds.  I don’t know. That comment came when somebody saw me hit a iron off a driver tee.  I did it to elevate over a dogleg from a tee that was moved way up by maintenance.    I guess my point is I can hit a driving iron a mile teeing it up an inch and picking it.  But off the deck I hate them for the wide sole.  That’s me. I struggle with crisp contact.  That’s why I won’t play one. 

Haha I am off 3 woods, and driving irons are the current craze, yes. I have a Mizuno CLK 16* hybrid comin that should be a pretty straight shootin 240ish club, but never know. It arrives today (assuming FedEx doesn't royally botch this like the 3 boxes that have been sittin on a trailer at the FedEx shipping station for 11 days!!). 

I don't love hitting iron anyways, but obviously there are some holes where you cannot go right or left or you're dead, or the layup is a number that only an iron can get to, and anything longer would be trouble. I used to hit a Srixon 545 3 Iron bent a couple degrees strong with an old school Speeder shaft in it, but it snapped right above the hosel, which sent me on this wild goose chase for a new driving iron. Replaced the shaft, but it was never the same. 

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

20 minutes ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

Haha I am off 3 woods, and driving irons are the current craze, yes. I have a Mizuno CLK 16* hybrid comin that should be a pretty straight shootin 240ish club, but never know. It arrives today (assuming FedEx doesn't royally botch this like the 3 boxes that have been sittin on a trailer at the FedEx shipping station for 11 days!!). 

I don't love hitting iron anyways, but obviously there are some holes where you cannot go right or left or you're dead, or the layup is a number that only an iron can get to, and anything longer would be trouble. I used to hit a Srixon 545 3 Iron bent a couple degrees strong with an old school Speeder shaft in it, but it snapped right above the hosel, which sent me on this wild goose chase for a new driving iron. Replaced the shaft, but it was never the same. 

Do you hit a hybrid high or low ?  Or I guess a better question. Do you hit everything really high ?    If so I have a hybrid for you.  A    B stone tour B 18.  Let me know if that CLk doesn’t suit.  I’ll send this head up to you , no strings.  I’d love to see someone use it.  Lowest launch hybrid on earth.   ( as in stingers not hard to hit low ) I played it as a 2 iron for a while. Actual launched too low off the deck for effective par 5 use for me on big courses.  But perfect for tee work.   

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Do you hit a hybrid high or low ?  Or I guess a better question. Do you hit everything really high ?    If so I have a hybrid for you.  A    B stone tour B 18.  Let me know if that CLk doesn’t suit.  I’ll send this head up to you , no strings.  I’d love to see someone use it.  Lowest launch hybrid on earth.   ( as in stingers not hard to hit low ) I played it as a 2 iron for a while. Actual launched too low off the deck for effective par 5 use for me on big courses.  But perfect for tee work.   

I hit most clubs high (including 2,3 iron). CLK should be lower, but will have to see. I will definitely let you know....Lord knows I'm always up for trying something new! 

1 minute ago, VNutz said:

I hit my Srixon u45 20* about 225, give or take, dhy 4h goes about 210 or so. I hit the Srixon fairly low so it's not like I ever bomb it, nor am I trying to. Just want something low and straight that hits the fairway.

Yea that's kinda what I'm thinking. If I can hit this Hot Metal Pro 4i 215 or so, I'm probably ok. I don't need 270 out of this club, but I also don't wanna be hitting 4 iron - 4 iron into the green on par 4s. That doesn't seem like a good solution to help score. 

1 hour ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

Been thinkin about putting a low loft hybrid in the bag and using 4i as my longest iron, and hitting that from the tee. It would probably go about 215 or so when flushed. 205-210 more often. 

My iron set came with a 22* 4i. I refitted from KBS Tour 90-R (about 95 grams trimmed) to a SteelFiber HLS 780 hybrid shaft (R, 75 grams). I use this primarily as a driving iron for tight holes where a driver would bypass the landing area. Also good on longish par 3 holes where a hybrid could fly the green.

It carries about 170-180, and will run out another 15 yards or so. From the tee, I tee it about 1/4" high and swing it like a driver.

If I'm swinging well, I can also hit it from a good fairway lie. 

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I've been playing a Srixon U65 18* that I hit 220-235.  I can hit it further, but high spin kills it. The Miyazaki Stiff shaft has too much flex, and when I try to really turn on one, it is a hook machine. 

I recently got a TM TP UDI 2 iron with a C-Taper Lite 110 S that matches my irons. It is 2 in shorter than the Srixon and goes about the same distance, but with a lower spin, and lower trajectory. Carry is 220-225, but it will roll out further than the Srixon if the fairways are dry.

The thing is that I really don't want it to go any further, as I use it on dogleg Par 4s and par 5s where a 250 yard shot gets you in trouble. Straight is the priority with the DI, which is my the Srixon is out of the bag until I get around to reshafting it.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9* (+1, neutral), Ventus Red TR 6X

Callaway X2Hot pro 3Deep 14* with Aldila Tour Green 75 S

Titleist T200 3i and 4i, Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist T100 (2020) 5-PW, Project X Precision 6.0

PXG Sugar Daddy 50, 54, 58

Taylor Made Spider

7 minutes ago, COL_B said:

I've been playing a Srixon U65 18* that I hit 220-235.  I can hit it further, but high spin kills it. The Miyazaki Stiff shaft has too much flex, and when I try to really turn on one, it is a hook machine. 

I recently got a TM TP UDI 2 iron with a C-Taper Lite 110 S that matches my irons. It is 2 in shorter than the Srixon and goes about the same distance, but with a lower spin, and lower trajectory. Carry is 220-225, but it will roll out further than the Srixon if the fairways are dry.

The thing is that I really don't want it to go any further, as I use it on dogleg Par 4s and par 5s where a 250 yard shot gets you in trouble. Straight is the priority with the DI, which is my the Srixon is out of the bag until I get around to reshafting it.

Good stuff! Sounds like the UDI is the ticket. Thanks for sharing

I have a Ping G410 hybrid 3 on order, but I ordered it from a builder to get an X shaft, and they are taking their sweet time with it. I have gotten so spoiled by eBay and Golf Galaxy I failed to read the fine print on Fairway Jockey's fulfillment policy: 

Stock Clubs – 2-4 weeks, Ping is 5-6 weeks

They added that Ping part after I submitted my order on 24 August.

I'm looking at this as a Par 5 approach stick, not for the tee. Generally hybrids don't agree with me, and seem to exaggerate my miss - either left or right. Which is why I went with DIs in the first place.

But I am totally enamored with my G410 LST driver, so I ordered the hybrid on a whim.

Edited by COL_B

Titleist TSR3 9* (+1, neutral), Ventus Red TR 6X

Callaway X2Hot pro 3Deep 14* with Aldila Tour Green 75 S

Titleist T200 3i and 4i, Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist T100 (2020) 5-PW, Project X Precision 6.0

PXG Sugar Daddy 50, 54, 58

Taylor Made Spider

I know exactly how far I can carry my utility iron. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Cobra King Utility set at 20.5*. According to Shotscope, I average 215, long of 235. My target distance for that club is 220-225, so I'm in range.  

It's on it's way out of the bag though. I hit my hybrid more consistently and about the same distance (hybrid slightly longer), so I'm leaning toward replacing the driving iron with a 60 degree. 

Edited by Mych

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I play the Callaway UT 18 degree with the evenflow hybrid 85 x shaft.  I find it works best if you treat it like a mid iron and hit down on it - get some turf interaction.  I can get about 230 yards through the air out of it and on a very flat trajectory.  It will roll another 20 yards or so on most tee shots.  

Edited by Dr. Block

3 hours ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

So I know this is WRX, and some of you hit Koepka-like bombs 270 yards, but for the vast majority, if you hit iron off the tee as your driving club, how far do you hit it. 

I have been through SIM UDI, U510, HMB, U85, CB ProH...I just don’t hit driving irons very straight or very far. I’ll have a day where I stripe it, but on the whole it’s not really giving me accuracy or a ton of distance. Maybe 225-230 at MOST. 

That feels like it’s probably long enough most places when I have to find the fairway or the longer clubs are not working that day. 

So how far do you hit your driving iron? Or do you just play the longest iron in your set as a “driving iron?”

If Not hitting it far enough, then more long irons into greens doesn’t seem like a totally great move either. So just tryin to decide about the top end of my bag. 

I don't have a "driving iron" because I play older irons, but I have a '94 Hogan Apex 2-iron at 19° and it averages 240y (224 carry) with rollout. I only use it course dependently, for links golf or on windy days as an alternative to 3w or 3h off the tee. The rest of the time it stays home.

It's probably nowhere near as optimal as a proper utility or driving iron because my 4i at 25.5° carries just north of 200y and my 19° 3h carries 220 with less roll.

Edited by Bubbtubbs
  • Like 1

Was playing a 23* U85 as a 4 iron replacement, but predominately used off the tee on short Par 4s. Hitting 205-210. Just changed up my bag though. Now using a 17* hybrid in the "driving iron" role. Lower flight, lower spin, 240-250. 

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

18 degree U45 and off the tee it ranges from 240-250 on "good" strikes.  It gets the ball up there, so downwind it can really go - I've used it a few times as a "safety" club to be short of a hazard only to find myself right in said hazard.  Off the deck it's a good amount less - more like 230 at most.  I use this club to bridge gap from my 4 iron to 4W.  Can effectively choke it down to take enough off for 220-230 gap where 3 iron would be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

I know exactly how far I can carry my utility iron. 

Cool....

• Haha 4

I recently added a hmb 3i with a 100g hybrid shaft. It will swap in and out with my 3h depending on the course and conditions. I carry it 215-220. But when I hit it off the tee it's almost always a low bullet stinger type shot. No idea of the carry number but it will run out between 240 and 250. That same low trap bullet draw with the hybrid can get away left if I'm not careful. 

4 hours ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

I'm about 6 months ahead of you in this journey I guess.  I spent a few years trying different driving irons -- all the ones you mentioned.  I could hit them great some days but other days I'd have one or two bad swings where they killed my round (or I killed my round with them).  I actually had a few versions of the Srixon U series in different lofts and really wanted to love them.  Eventually switched to TM Rocketballs FW metals.  I have a 5 metal at 19 degrees that I almost always hit really well with no bad tops or hooks.  Realized that I have way more confidence with it and it makes the game much easier than the DI.  I also have a 22 degree F7 hybrid that I use as a 4i.  Much more consistent than the DIs and about 15 yards shorter than the RBZ 5 wood.  I'm pretty sure this end of my bag is pretty much set.  Can't imagine it getting any more consistent.  I hope you find what works for you. 

Still have the Srixon 545 3 iron lying around?  

I played a TM UDI (original) forever.  It was a 18* and I hit it 240-260 depending upon the fairway.  It didn't go very high, but was great when I went to Scotland.  All of a sudden it stopped going anywhere.  It was going 210-220.  I had others hit it and the head itself was fine.  I tried different shafts, but for some reason I hit it high on the club head every time and it went nowhere.  I went with a SGI 18* iron for awhile and it was good for awhile, then the longish heel to toe length issue I have with irons started revealing it's ugly head again.

Now I am on to a 17* Ping G400 hybrid.  My swing went wonky for two weeks and it was horrible, so was everything else.  I hit it well again last weekend too, back to my happy place.  I am in the process of testing the Tour Edge Exotics 17* hybrid, but need to put a shaft in it that I like.  I find the correct weight and profile is even more important with the low lofted hybrids than it was with the driving irons.  I can hit it 250-260 and I have played a high cut from 220(I really need a club between it and my first 24* iron) 

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One