Chipping trajectory - club selection and/or ball position

2bGood

I'm not really worried about trajectory on a chip but focus more on the spot I want the ball to land. Seldom will a chip get above head high. I normally want to get the ball on the green ASAP and let it run to the hole. So usually it's simply changing clubs to get the correct air to green ratio.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

2 minutes ago, nitram said:

I'm not really worried about trajectory on a chip but focus more on the spot I want the ball to land. Seldom will a chip get above head high. I normally want to get the ball on the green ASAP and let it run to the hole. So usually it's simply changing clubs to get the correct air to green ratio.

Isn't trajectory how you achieve the "air to green ratio"? 

Don't you use different trajectorys when you want the ball to land 2 yards away and roll 10 yards, vs land 5 yards away and roll 5 yards? 

Not me. There are folks who do but for me, it's hitting a toe-down, stiff left wrist off my right big toe and use whatever club gives me the correct air to rollout ratio. For example, my 8-iron is 3 to 1 so on a 12 yard chip I hit a spot 3 yards away and expect it to roll 9 yards to the hole. my P is 2 to 1, etc. But the trajectory is normally from belt to shoulder high. 

I'll flight my pitch shots like you describe .

• Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I use my 60 degree and change my ball position, handle height, face angle and arc length. Definitely don't like changing clubs much, it messes with my touch. 

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I just shared a TaylorMade video in another topic here, but Jason Day goes through his technique in it and that’s what I use as well (since watching that video) and it’s been very consistent for me. 

The short version is minimal changes in ball position but changing how much or how little forward press you use and keeping your arms solid. The amount of press dictates the delivered loft and the flight of the chip. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

52 minutes ago, b.mattay said:

I use my 60 degree and change my ball position, handle height, face angle and arc length. Definitely don't like changing clubs much, it messes with my touch. 

I guess that is what I am getting at. One club, multiple set ups or one set up multiple clubs. 

5 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

I just shared a TaylorMade video in another topic here, but Jason Day goes through his technique in it and that’s what I use as well (since watching that video) and it’s been very consistent for me. 

The short version is minimal changes in ball position but changing how much or how little forward press you use and keeping your arms solid. The amount of press dictates the delivered loft and the flight of the chip. 

Yes, that 'my old' technique. I have moved to keep forward press the same, but have not settled on moving the ball position to change how far it will fly, or switch clubs. Right now I am mixing the two. 

Both. I very rarely chip with anything other than my 54 or 60 because those are the only clubs I spend practice time with. 

Ball forward - higher trajectory, stops faster

Ball back - lower trajectory, more run out

After I've assessed what a shot will do once it hits the green, I look for the right landing spot for the ball to rollout properly. Then i execute the shot for that landing spot. 

I used to play 75% of chips with the ball back. Now i play 75% of them with the ball forward. 

10 hours ago, nitram said:

Not me. There are folks who do but for me, it's hitting a toe-down, stiff left wrist off my right big toe and use whatever club gives me the correct air to rollout ratio. For example, my 8-iron is 3 to 1 so on a 12 yard chip I hit a spot 3 yards away and expect it to roll 9 yards to the hole. my P is 2 to 1, etc. But the trajectory is normally from belt to shoulder high. 

I'll flight my pitch shots like you describe .

I use this same method.  Alwasy club change.  If I use a sand or gap wedge it’s to fly it mostly to the hole and have it hop and stop dead.  Never a lob unless it’s severely downhill .    I prefer 9 iron and PW for most shots.  And trajectory is always low.  You cannot control something hitting it over shoulder high like you can keeping it down. 

and I’m a guy who can and will hit the super lob if the lie and shot calls for it.  But I don’t prefer the lofted club until it’s really called for.  I leave way too many short doing that. If I hit a lob wedge it’s going to stop where it lands.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

A handy shot especially for longish uphill chips is to use a "honda grip". Set up with your left thumb on the back of the grip at 9 o'clock. Grip down and play the ball back in your stance. The "honda grip" prevents the shaft from releasing so the shaft doesn't pass your hands. The ball comes out low and runs like a scared rabbit. 

The "honda grip" also works great if you have tree trouble and have to hit a punch shot. 

I try to keep the set up as consistent as possible and change the club if I want a higher shot and/or less runout.

Actually I try to chip with the same action and same club as much as possible, unless I absolutely have to change trajectory 

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

14 hours ago, Mcgeeno said:

Cool topic!

I use different clubs all over the green to control trajectory and spin.

From 7 iron to lobber 

I can't say I get beyond gap wedge as I fin it runs pretty low. But I use a Mickelson too set up with a fair amount of forward press. 

I just use a 47 degree pitching wedge for everything up to 20 yard carry with the "use the bounce" Monte technique from his free video on his website.   Never could get confident with the 56.

Stock shot is off the lead big toe with feet right together, toe down, slightly open, pick a spot and hit to it.  If I need a little more elevation I just move the ball to lead pinky toe.  I've had more one putts in the last 3 months that I started this than in the 3 years before that.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

44 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

I can't say I get beyond gap wedge as I fin it runs pretty low. But I use a Mickelson too set up with a fair amount of forward press. 

Gotcha.

I'm more of a Furyk putting stroke style chipper. I battled some issues for a few years with chipping so I tried to dummy proof it as best as I could. 

Honestly I'll putt if at all possible first choice.

• Like 1

I use a combination of both. There are certain clubs that are always going to dictate a certain type of shot, and therefore setup - like the 9-iron chip from the fringe or the lob wedge flop shot. 

For those clubs in the middle - like gap and sand wedge - I like to have options. With those clubs I will set up with the ball off the lead or trail foot to control trajectory, as well as moderating my force through contact to adjust spin and potential rollout.

I'll also add that I practice chipping religiously. If you don't, you might want to simplify things. 

Edited by jholz

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

generally changing the height by opening the face. mostly using the same club, and prefer the same ball position but adjust as needed for different lies. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Club selection and face angle, I don't mess with ball position much if it's just a standard chip. Try to keep it middle or slightly forward and use the bounce. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I have to admit the how part of changing trajectory is not something I give much thought to. I suppose 25 years of playing some things have just become second nature. 

When I actually picked up a club and gave it some thought to try and participate in this discussion I realised that I do it through a mix of ball position and technique. I generally use the same club around the greens (58 Wedge) but move the ball and also my hand position at address. So I will add or remove shaft lean and loft to the wedge. I will also alter my technique slightly (not a conscious action) to produce different results. I noticed that when I want to hit a lower more driven shot in I will keep my hands ahead of the ball a little more through impact and after, while if I want to float the ball, I will release the club earlier, drop the bounce into the ground and almost drop kick the ball forward. 

Non of this is a conscious move and I'm not sure if it's more than just feels and there is not discernible difference but it appears the method I've developed. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jedaigeki said:

I have to admit the how part of changing trajectory is not something I give much thought to. I suppose 25 years of playing some things have just become second nature. 

When I actually picked up a club and gave it some thought to try and participate in this discussion I realised that I do it through a mix of ball position and technique. I generally use the same club around the greens (58 Wedge) but move the ball and also my hand position at address. So I will add or remove shaft lean and loft to the wedge. I will also alter my technique slightly (not a conscious action) to produce different results. I noticed that when I want to hit a lower more driven shot in I will keep my hands ahead of the ball a little more through impact and after, while if I want to float the ball, I will release the club earlier, drop the bounce into the ground and almost drop kick the ball forward. 

Non of this is a conscious move and I'm not sure if it's more than just feels and there is not discernible difference but it appears the method I've developed. 

Now that you've given it some thought you'll be no good!!! 

It's like a publisher approaching a good player for a book deal and all of a sudden they have to explain something they never had to think about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last summer I finally put in the practice time to get comfortable hitting chips with lower lofted clubs (50* PW, 41* 8i, 33* 6i) and they are shots I find immensely useful. More predictable out of light rough and I am getting very consistent results from the fringe. I use my LW for pretty much everything else around the green as it is what I've practiced the most with and I feel like I have the most control over. Sometimes the lie or conditions will send me to use something else, but on the course I stick to what I feel comfortable with.

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

I pretty much exclusively use my 60 degree around the greens. I adjust the ball position for trajectory and preset my wrist and shaft angle. From there I just turn back and through the ball. If I need to add speed for a longer shot I just release the club and wrist angle through the ball. 

For me, this is the easiest way to get consistent trajectory and spin. If I want to add spin I open the face and open my stance a bit to cut across it. 

Just find a system that works for you and experiment hitting different shots with that system.