Could you become a scratch golfer using only the practice range?

RCGA

Let's say you have a decent single digit handicapper who wants to become a scratch golfer. 

But because of life situations (new born, work, etc.), they no longer have time to play rounds of golf, but can practice 3-4 times per week for an hour each. The practice facility has everything you'd need (grass range, unlimited balls, bunker, putting green, chipping area, etc.). 

Obviously you'd need to play several rounds to establish a handicap. So if it is possible, how much time do you think it would take before you're ready? 6 months? 1 year? Longer?

Similarly, could you become a scratch golfer on a real course using only an indoor simulator for practice and simulated rounds?

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

Not a chance!!

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

I think its possible. I know a few coaches that only play 3 rounds a year but are + caps. 

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

There are many low single digit handicaps that practice 3-4 hours a week as well as play rounds and never make it to scratch.  So it would take someone pretty spectacular to do it without playing.

Making the jump from a low single to scratch is hard.  I can’t see doing it without a lot of real time reps on the course.

I think it would be possible, if you were basically a robot and never missed a shot.  Range can do a lot, but never seen a practice area with a tree or other potential hazard/bad lie you get on a course.

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

Is it possible...? Maybe. Is it likely...? No. People do not realize how hard it is to be a "scratch" golfer. If you aren't playing on the course and only really practicing you would in my opinion probably also have to have a natural knack for the game to be able to reach "scratch".

Edited by stephenmatt

Nope. Scratch golf swing and scratch golfer are two different things. Even the best ball strikers on the planet are averaging 12-13 GIRs per round. Learning to get up and down from various lies, learning green speed of the day, grinding out the 4-8 footers, avoiding 3 putts etc can't really be replicated anywhere but on the course

• Like 3

Honestly scoring is a skill in itself which can’t be developed without course exposure.

Nothing like missing a 3 footer which are “gimmes” in practice.

• Like 3

Ping G430 LST 10.5* GD AD-DI 8X

Taylormade Sim Ti 15* UST Lin-Q 8F5

PXG 0311X HZRDUS 105 TX

Ping Blueprint S 4-5 KBS Tour V 120X

Ping Blueprint T 6-PW KBS Tour V 120X

Titleist SM10 52F/56F/60T KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S
Taylormade Spyder Aluminum Face

Count me in the group that says no.  I do believe you can take a 3-4 handicap range practice golfer and possibly see get near or at scratch if they play often and have a terrific short game.  Learning how to score, as others have stated, is not to be overlooked. 

I have a friend who is the epitome of a range rat.  He strikes the ball really well on the range.  He simply doesn't play much for who knows what reason.  When I can coax him to play a round he has a tendency to blow up because he has forgotten how to score.  I've told him this many times to which he says, "I know, I know."  He just doesn't play and gets frustrated, especially at my home course where it is tight due to narrow fairways and an abundance of trees.  Conversely, I play more than practice and have learned to drive the ball rather straight.  Driving and my short game recovery is now my best part of my game.  I am currently at 3.7 with hopes of being scratch in the next year or two.  I am the proverbial 4-6 handicapper on the range because I am working and practicing with a purpose ..... to improve my weak areas of my ball striking.

Edited by RobotDoctor

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

6 hours ago, RCGA said:

Let's say you have a decent single digit handicapper who wants to become a scratch golfer. 

But because of life situations (new born, work, etc.), they no longer have time to play rounds of golf, but can practice 3-4 times per week for an hour each. The practice facility has everything you'd need (grass range, unlimited balls, bunker, putting green, chipping area, etc.). 

Obviously you'd need to play several rounds to establish a handicap. So if it is possible, how much time do you think it would take before you're ready? 6 months? 1 year? Longer?

Similarly, could you become a scratch golfer on a real course using only an indoor simulator for practice and simulated rounds?

yes it's possible but you would have to be a great ball striker. I hit balls every day for 1 hour to an 1 1/2 and became a very good ball striker and I was very long. And eventually was always around par--a little under a little over. Hardly played. But I hit balls in an open field and would pitch 100 balls a day at the ballbag when I was done and collected the balls--and I guess I forgot that made me exceptional with my  SW around the green.  And of course, it matters how good of a natural putter you are...

• Like 1

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

I’m generally going against what everyone else is saying.  I think your handicap can improve dramatically if you just practiced at a range/bunker/putting green and could put in the time and try to hit different shots.  Don’t know if you would reach scratch since 99% of players don’t, but you will jump up pretty far (assuming you can develop a decent/repeatable swing)  Yes things change on a course, but your swing shouldn’t.  You may need to learn breaks, but putting is putting.

Edited by taki27

Many years ago I golfed with a guy at San Jose Muni who was pretty good player though I don't remember what he shot that day.  He mentioned that he had played wide receiver for the Jets.  He said that the first time he played golf he shot over 100 and then did not play again for some period of time maybe six months or a year while he practiced every day.  When he went back out to play for the first time after learning to swing he shot a 74 I believe.  So I would say that the scenario mentioned by the OP is possible with the right practice facility and a super talented individual.  Seems extremely unlikely to ever happen though!  By super talented I mean that he or she would be a top tour pro with and appropriate amount of game practice.  

I'd say no way. What I don't quite understand is if you have some time to practice why not play a quick 9 at times.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

This was basically the approach I took in my early teenage years. Spent many, many hours a day practicing all aspects of my game, but only occasionally went to the course. My thought process was that I could get more reps and thoughtful practice in on the range/green then on the course in the same amount of time. The reality is that the course isn't a controlled environment and that learning to score well is a skill that is just as important as the technical swing. My scores got much better when I transitioned to only playing and never grinding on a range/green. To play to a true scratch level you both have to a skillset built by practice time and equally as important the knowledge of how to apply those skills on the course to get the ball into the hole in as few strokes as possible. That knowledge only comes with lots and lots of rounds under your belt.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

You absolutely cannot become a true scratch player only using an indoor simulator. By default, your lie will always be well groomed and flat indoors, which will never be the during a round of golf. You also can't groom the short game required to be a good player inside (unless you have a warehouse style facility with real bunkers, slopes, a mix of turf types/lengths (real or artificial), and distances up to 50 yards.

Not to say that indoor simulators can't be useful, they 100% can be, I use one multiple times a week just to get full swing reps in, but they can't be the only piece of the puzzle.

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

Its an interesting thought.

Right now my situation is - Play on the course 1 or 2 times a week. Practice at the range 2,3 or 4 times a week with chipping and putting thrown in. 

Transferring the range to the course is hard. I have been playing well lately but yesterday my technique went out the window and I had a very bad day - good shot bad shot. The course I played on had so much grain around the greens that my chipping was so poor and couldn't save me. I know the cause for the long game troubles so will sort it at the range today. It's getting the feel from the range to the course for me is the hard bit as I don't think about technique on the course; maybe I should now. 

What I miss most is that few holes of play which are basically practice, playing a quick 6-12 holes where you just play, chuck down balls if you hit a bad one, try a shot from different places, I have not practiced a bunker shot in 2 years.

I will be back to playing golf in 5 weeks time with a membership and my on course play will certainly improve. I will range 1 or 2 times a week and play at least 6 holes 3 or 4 times a week. I will just need to get used to fast, windy links golf from hot, grainy, soft golf. 

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Nope, you have to play. It's just not the same. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

In theory, can’t see why it absolutely could not happen but it is unlikely.

If you had enough variety in your practice, different lies, different winds, bunker shots, chipping, etc, etc, then you could get your game to a point where it was at a level you could go and do it.

I am not sure that you could be a competitive scratch golfer doing it that way though. There is a big difference between someone who plays to scratch in competition and someone with a vanity cap.

1 hour ago, scott_Donald said:

I will be back to playing golf in 5 weeks time with a membership and my on course play will certainly improve. I will range 1 or 2 times a week and play at least 6 holes 3 or 4 times a week. I will just need to get used to fast, windy links golf from hot, grainy, soft golf. 

Things have gotten so bouncy in the last couple of weeks. Love walking around feeling like Bryson after a drive runs forever 😂

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

2 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Things have gotten so bouncy in the last couple of weeks. Love walking around feeling like Bryson after a drive runs forever 😂

from the looks of the pics lately; it will be in great shape! I am so used to hitting driver all the time here, started to practice my 2 iron again!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPur7qPNgpb/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I just hope I don't have to quarantine! I have been fully vaccinated for 3 months but its certainly not looking likely right now!  

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217