A fave & a peeve about your regular partner…

My regular game is with my buddy whom I like to call, Da Playah.

Good guy, a year younger than me.

Fave: Playah strikes the perfect balance between wanting to play well but not taking it all too seriously.

Peeve: When we ride he has the annoying tendency to park the cart so the front of the cart is pointing away from the direction of his next shot. Can’t figure out why he does this. Who wants to be facing the tee when your partner is hitting his approach? He’ll reposition if I ask quickly enough but he does it almost every time, so I usually end up getting out just so I can see what the heck happens with his next shot.

I still love playing with the guy and frequently taking his lunch money from him. We met on the golf course but we eventually became friends away from the game, too. I’m really glad we crossed paths all those years ago. He’s a great friend.

So, what’s a fave & a peeve of your regular partner?

• Like 2

I have two buds I play golf with but usually play separate. One is a really good golfer and is encouraging and is genuinely happy at my improving. My peeve is that he has rabbit ears. People barely whispering in a cart on the other side of the fairway disturb him. He will usually comment, "Don't let my golf game ruin your conversation." Quite embarrassing when we are at a place and get paired up with strangers. 

The other partner is usually barrel of laughs and when we get paired up gets along well with the strangers. My home course is not in the greatest shape and some would call it a goat track. When we play there he usually plays terrible and ends up throwing a tantrum about what a bad course it is and how it messes up his game. It is very strange. We play his home course, which has greatly improved over the last 5 years and he is a different guy.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

1 hour ago, sticksgolf said:

Fave: Playah strikes the perfect balance between wanting to play well but not taking it all too seriously.

Peeve: When we ride he has the annoying tendency to park the cart so the front of the cart is pointing away from the direction of his next shot. Can’t figure out why he does this. Who wants to be facing the tee when your partner is hitting his approach? He’ll reposition if I ask quickly enough but he does it almost every time, so I usually end up getting out just so I can see what the heck happens with his next shot.

I still love playing with the guy and frequently taking his lunch money from him. We met on the golf course but we eventually became friends away from the game, too. I’m really glad we crossed paths all those years ago. He’s a great friend.

Why don't you drive?

• Like 1

my regular partner ?

fave.... I married her.

Peeve.... I married her.

The guys I play golf with ? They're all former college jocks, pro and mini-tour players. They take my lunch money because they only give me a couple strokes and I play along because they're a blast to play with. 

The "digs" are a deep, deep ditch and un mercifully funny.

• Haha 1

Pros: teammate from college hoop, lifelong friend that would give you the shirt off his back, the laughs last the whole round.

con: doesn’t work on his game properly or take advice, which is weird because it is the only aspect of his life he is that way then gets frustrated because he can’t break 90. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

13 minutes ago, sticksgolf said:

Sadly, the last decade has seen me drive more than 20 golf carts into a collection of ponds, lakes, rivers, reservoirs and at least one ocean.

Accidents? Possibly…

Intentional? As yet unproven…

How can that be, are you incompetent or intoxicated.

Edited by JimmyC59

1 hour ago, flip flappy said:

I have two buds I play golf with but usually play separate. One is a really good golfer and is encouraging and is genuinely happy at my improving. My peeve is that he has rabbit ears. People barely whispering in a cart on the other side of the fairway disturb him. He will usually comment, "Don't let my golf game ruin your conversation." Quite embarrassing when we are at a place and get paired up with strangers. 

The other partner is usually barrel of laughs and when we get paired up gets along well with the strangers. My home course is not in the greatest shape and some would call it a goat track. When we play there he usually plays terrible and ends up throwing a tantrum about what a bad course it is and how it messes up his game. It is very strange. We play his home course, which has greatly improved over the last 5 years and he is a different guy.

Both sound tough to handle.

I used to play in an occasional foursome. The organizer guy was a tool. If he thought someone was conversing during his preshot he wouldn’t say anything. He’d save it up until he had a chance to talk during the offender’s actual swing. Didn’t like the guy before I witnessed this and wouldn’t waste my time playing with him thereafter.

I used to play a bunch at a local 36-hole  muny as a single. Got paired with a guy who was a very good player. Problem was that his head wouldn’t fit between a standard doorway…total figjam. Anyway, the guy was even or one under thru 16. He then bogeys 17 looks at the scorecard and announces that he should be able to birdie 18 since it’s so easy. Instead, the guy flares a high bomb that runs thru the right fairway’s rough. The guy says, “I can’t believe I could finish over par on a lousy course like this.” I waited until we got to his ball to point out that not only was he likely to finish over par but his ball was also OB (it came to rest on the first hole of the other course, way beyond the OB stakes).

Yes, I enjoyed waiting to let him know.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sticksgolf said:

Sadly, the last decade has seen me drive more than 20 golf carts into a collection of ponds, lakes, rivers, reservoirs and at least one ocean.

Accidents? Possibly…

😂 two brief thoughts…

1- you should relinquish your right to complain about HIS driving habits.

2-if your friend were a site member we probably already know what his “con” would be for you.

• Haha 3

Ping Tour 60* wedge

When you can diagnose how the club is moving in the swing but cannot make any changes that show during the round lol

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

1 hour ago, MikeW2 said:

😂 two brief thoughts…

1- you should relinquish your right to complain about HIS driving habits.

2-if your friend were a site member we probably already know what his “con” would be for you.

Sorry, but that was a joke.

Still, I AM hoping to buy a land/sea capable golf cart some day.

(Hint: That was also a joke…)

• Haha 1

My Dad.

Love: We have a Blast playing together twice a week.  Nothing but jokes, teasing, and laughter.  Win or loose, who cares.  We have fun.  My best friend.

Hate:  He takes ready-golf to a bad level.  He will zoom the cart to his/my ball, and have no concept of players in our group hitting behind us.  I have to constantly tell him that our playing partner is hitting into him.  He gets a little cranky, but quickly moves on.  

He plays a lot without me, and I think he has a reputation as a good golfing partner, but I'm worried this particular personal foible isn't widely liked......  How do I stop this?

• Like 1

Fave: lifelong family friend and is a member at a highly exclusive club that basically treats me like a member as well. $25 a week to play at a course where the guest rates are $175. I’ll take it. 

Peeve: Anything inside 5 ft is good for him, but he’s an atrocious putter. I don’t call him out on it because obviously it’s one hell of a hookup. 

He’s listed as a 5-HCP, but it’s likely a 9 or 10. Lol. 

Pro: He and I have extremely complementary games that work well in a scramble/tournament. The things I'm best at (short game around the green, 120 in) are his weaknesses, and he's much more consistent with long irons than I am. He's a great lag putter, I'm better from 15 feet in. 

Con: He's one of those people who a bad shot is never his fault. "I slipped do you see that turf??" "Did you hear that noise, right in my swing!" "what a terrible lie" etc etc. Always an external blame. 

17 hours ago, sticksgolf said:

Accidents? Possibly…

Love to see your buddy's "peeve".

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, sticksgolf said:

My partner enjoys her privacy when going it alone as well, depending on the lighting that answers both questions.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

There is a guy I play with frequently who is in many ways the ideal person to play with; plays fast, walks, knows when to be quiet and when it's good to be chatty, not too serious, good player, plays the same tees as I do, no lengthy routines or odd traits like rabbit ears, doesn't drink booze or smoke on the course, likes to play the same time of day I do (very early), if he commits to a tee time he is guaranteed to show up and not cancel last minute, etc.

The main negative is he insists on playing the same course over and over, he won't play anywhere else despite there being many other courses nearby in better condition or a better value. It's not like he has a season pass to this course or gets free rounds or anything. The course has been in absolute terrible condition for the last month but he won't go elsewhere so I am actually taking a break from playing with him until that course improves. A lesser negative is that he is a militant walker who wouldn't ride if you chained him to the cart, whereas I tend to draw the line on ride vs. walk when the temp is 100 degrees. If I take a cart when it's that hot he will act seriously offended and give me crap because he is older than I am but still walks. Thing is, he is retired and can go home, take a 3 hour nap after the round and do nothing for the rest of the day, whereas I usually have to go to work after the round and need some energy left.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 2

My uncle is probably my most common playing partner, been playing with him since I was little. 

Pros: Always a good sense of humor and the trash talk always feels natural and never goes too far. No etiquette or social issues really (save for below) and he is pleasant to play with regardless of how he is playing. All of this is especially true since he got sober right before the pandemic (auspicious time to do so). 

Cons: He has ONE specific habit that sometimes drives me nuts. It doesn't matter who is putting, but if the ball is on the way and anywhere near the hole he'll go "It's in......IT'S IN......IT'S IN!" or "Got a chance.....GOT A CHANCE.....GOT A CHANCE!!" in a rising level of excitement implied by the font, lol. The problem is, 95% of the time its not, nor is it even particularly close, which is especially irritating when the putt is clearly coming up short. And the weird thing is, he often WON'T do this on the putts that actually do go in or ARE extremely close, which suggests the he actually knows what the putt is doing and I don't know....tries to will them in with excitement? I don't care most of the time, but sometimes he'll go on a long stretch of doing this on lousy putts and you have to make a comment on whether or not his eyes are working correctly today. 😅

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

2 hours ago, Bonneville85308 said:

There is a guy I play with frequently who is in many ways the ideal person to play with; plays fast, walks, knows when to be quiet and when it's good to be chatty, not too serious, good player, plays the same tees as I do, no lengthy routines or odd traits like rabbit ears, doesn't drink booze or smoke on the course, likes to play the same time of day I do (very early), if he commits to a tee time he is guaranteed to show up and not cancel last minute, etc.

The main negative is he insists on playing the same course over and over, he won't play anywhere else despite there being many other courses nearby in better condition or a better value. It's not like he has a season pass to this course or gets free rounds or anything. The course has been in absolute terrible condition for the last month but he won't go elsewhere so I am actually taking a break from playing with him until that course improves. A lesser negative is that he is a militant walker who wouldn't ride if you chained him to the cart, whereas I tend to draw the line on ride vs. walk when the temp is 100 degrees. If I take a cart when it's that hot he will act seriously offended and give me crap because he is older than I am but still walks. Thing is, he is retired and can go home, take a 3 hour nap after the round and do nothing for the rest of the day, whereas I usually have to go to work after the round and need some energy left.

Yeah, I don’t get being stuck on playing one course, especially one that’s in marginal condition. Since I turned 60 my GF has outlawed me walking 18 when it gets north of 100, which is pretty much every day where I live between July and September.

Oh well.

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

My uncle is probably my most common playing partner, been playing with him since I was little. 

Pros: Always a good sense of humor and the trask talk always feels natural and never goes too far. No etiquette or social issues really (save for below) and he is pleasant to play with regardless of how he is playing. All of this is especially true since he got sober right before the pandemic (auspicious time to do so). 

Cons: He has ONE specific habit that sometimes drives me nuts. It doesn't matter who is putting, but if the ball is on the way and anywhere near the hole he'll go "It's in......IT'S IN......IT'S IN!" or "Got a chance.....GOT A CHANCE.....GOT A CHANCE!!" in a rising level of excitement implied by the font, lol. The problem is, 95% of the time its not, nor is it even particularly close, which is especially irritating when the putt is clearly coming up short. And the weird thing is, he often WON'T do this on the putts that actually do go in or ARE extremely close, which suggests the he actually knows what the putt is doing and I don't know....tries to will them in with excitement? I don't care most of the time, but sometimes he'll go on a long stretch of doing this on lousy putts and you have to make a comment on whether or not his eyes are working correctly today. 😅

Played with a guy like that once. Another player in the group finally says, “Please don’t talk to my golf ball unless it’s in my pocket.” The guy still did it, but not quite as indiscriminately. Old habits…

On 7/17/2021 at 7:14 PM, MikeW2 said:

con: doesn’t work on his game properly or take advice, which is weird because it is the only aspect of his life he is that way then gets frustrated because he can’t break 90. 

This is a weird peeve to me.  Are you offering unsolicited advice?  99% of the people I know despise that.

Edited by sekrah

The older guys i play with are happier for me when i play well than I am for myself bc they have seen me come from shooting 140 on easiest course we play to being a better golfer. 

Cons 

They are like hound dogs when i hit my ball OB and will look for it forever even though i tell them I dont look for balls and I get them for free

They walk to there ball by the 150 marker without any clubs and laser the flag then walk back to there cart to get a club, then walk back to the cart to get another club when they change there mind. (Regardless if its CPO or not) 

It could be a monsoon and they want to try to play and keep saying I think its passing through even though I just saw a cow fly by. 

Edited by Dannyboy44

6 hours ago, sekrah said:

This is a weird peeve to me.  Are you offering unsolicited advice?  99% of the people I know despise that.

Absolutely not! We both started really playing after college and he’s still never broken 90 30 years later. He’ll ask questions or advice and try stuff out on the range or even on course but usually just does it the way he was going to before. Ex: how should I play this chip? Take your 8 iron and roll it over that spot. Ok…grabs 60* wedge and chunks it. Why didn’t you use the 8? I’ve never practiced that. Ok what do you practice? I don’t…ok if you don’t practice don’t be upset. He’s still a really good athlete in his 50’s and could easily shoot low 80’s. Wish I could help him more.

Ping Tour 60* wedge