2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Fights on a Golf Course

I’ve come close but have never gotten into a fight with someone. I have seen a few in life time though. I remember playing with a guy that I didn’t know, and the group behind us kept hitting into us.  The guy said something to another guy and before I knew it, they were on the ground wrestling.  A few of us tried to break it up.  No punches thrown though. Just lots of grabbing, pushing and holding. 

The closest I’ve gotten was on the first tee at Harding, well before the remodel, so we’re talking 20 years ago.  I topped my first tee shot of the day, but it just got on to the fairway and rolled a bit.  I was about 240 away.  The guys were on the green and I didn’t think I’d reach them with an irons.  I took out my 4 iron and absolutely striped it.  It took one big bounce 30 yards from the green and rolled on, then through while the group ahead was still putting.  Not sure If it hit a yardage marker or what. I got up and apologized to them while they were teeing off on #2.  All of them were pretty nice about and understanding, but one just kept looking at me, even after hit tee shot. He started walking and just mean mugged me for about 15 yards.  I finally asked “what the hell are you looking at?”  He replied with a “nothing” and kept walking.  #3 is a par 3 so we caught up to the group and this same guy kept looking at me.  I told him if he had a problem then let’s just settle it right now because I was getting tired of the way he was looking at me.  He responded with a “its cool” and that was the last time he did look my way.  

One of my playing partners got into a heated argument with a guy in the twosome behind us when he thought the guy had hit into us (it really wasn't close).  It was actually rather comical, as had they gotten into the physical altercation that was threatened, it would have looked like something right out of Monty Python.  They caught up to us on 10, and everything got smoothed over.

Edited by jordan2240
  • Haha 1

Never seen a fight on the golf course. In fact, it’s been extremely rare that I have heard what I would even consider to be harsh words between different groups. The odd argument but nothing more than that.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

3 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

In fact, it’s been extremely rare that I have heard what I would even consider to be harsh words between different groups.

Agree with this -- I think a lot could have to do with geographical locations. I've played most of my golf in Oregon throughout my life where people are just generally quite friendly.

I've accidentally snuck a good few balls up on groups throughout the years after some bad distance judging and the worst I've ever heard is "nice shot man you piped that!" after I apologize

Perhaps it is because im 6'4" 240lb and people just don't want beef? Hard to say 😂 

Edited by rooski
  • Like 3

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

2 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Haha, so your avatar is a selfie? 😂

Hah yeah bud it's not so far off, I've been known to have the touch of king kong around the greens so maybe quite applicable. I think that there is maybe a bit of reflection in the group ahead of me when they realize the ball that just rolled up to their feet is pin high on a 345y par 4 😂

I'd love to play in Scotland, I think the entire vibe of golf out there must be completely different than anywhere in the world and I presume like you say that in some ways it would reflect back into the people playing it there

• Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

I've never really seen an all out fight, have seen some shoving but i don't really know the circumstances as it wasn't my group, we just witnessed it.

I've only been a part of 2 incidents that even came close to fights--And they didn't really come close. Just times where i was really dealing with jerks

1) We were at a private club and saw another member keep parking his cart on the fringes of greens. We figured he was a new member, and we told him he couldn't park his cart there (pretty politely). He pretty much exploded on us, told us we "didn't know who we were f*cking with" and said things like "you know i could be in the hells angels". I wanted to ask "well, are you?" but thought better of it. We just said OK man and later told the pro shop.

2) I accidentally hit into a group once, it wasn't really my fault --Was the 10th hole so when i showed up to the tee the hole was empty. We had stayed and had a hot dog after 9 so it was perfectly possible they had played the full hole. Turns out all of them were in the woods (with their push carts) and they started walking out just as i hit. 3 of the guys were cool about it, one of the guys picked up my ball and basically stole it. I borrowed my friends cart and drove up to the green, apologized for hitting into them but then asked if any of them picked up my ball. The guy denied it, i said i saw him do it, and then he said "you want the ball back?" and then threw it in a pond next to the green. I just left and said sorry again for hitting into them

A few holes later ^^^ one of the other 3 guys waited on the tee and gave me a new Pro V and apologized for his friend--Which i thought was very nice

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I have a hard time envisioning a "fight" on a golf course. My fights take place on boats in Rhode Island. 

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

The closest I came to an on course "fight" was on Pinehurst #2 during the PEAF Tournament last year.  Of all places, there was a guy that decided to berate our caddie for an honest accident and things got really heated.  It escalated as the gentleman continued to go on and on about how the guy would be nothing but a caddie for the rest of his life until one of our guys asked him if he wanted to compare back accounts (he's a MLB pitcher).  Guy got into his cart and moved along.  The best part was the remainder of the day if someone hit a bad shot or missed a putt they would shout "F*ck you Jim" as we knew it was his name due to it being embroidered on the side his hat in 68 font! End of the day, Jim came back around and apologized and all was well in Pinehurst.

• Like 1

"Worse than some...better than most"

OG Sim 9-Ventus Blue 6s

OG Sim 3w-Ventus Blue 7s

Srixon ZX MkII 3- Tour AD95

TM P-770 4-W - Project X

Vokey SM9- 50/54/60

Scotty Phantom X 5.5 LAGP 135

4 hours ago, rooski said:

Agree with this -- I think a lot could have to do with geographical locations. I've played most of my golf in Oregon throughout my life where people are just generally quite friendly.

I've accidentally snuck a good few balls up on groups throughout the years after some bad distance judging and the worst I've ever heard is "nice shot man you piped that!" after I apologize

Perhaps it is because im 6'4" 240lb and people just don't want beef? Hard to say 😂 

I had a similar one. I wasn't actually all that close (ball rolled out to about 15 yards short of the green where they were putting on the 6th hole. It's a 300 par 4 and so I expected to be about 30 yards shorter than that...

I didn't get a chance to catch up and apologize until the 12th tee (par 3) which is right next to the 13th, but I apologized for hitting it a little close as I felt like it was certainly an etiquette gaffe to be even that close. 

Got the "nah, no worries, great shot man!" 

'course I've got an inch of height and 20 lbs on you, so maybe that had something to do with it 😉

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

I did witness a fight on the course many years ago, pretty sure I've posed about it here on other threads, but forget the details by now.

I do recall a fight in the grill room at a private course I belonged to. The "club drunk" was at the bar, on probably his 5th gin and tonic, complaining loudly and in very poor taste about a small "memorial flower garden" that was just constructed next to the clubhouse in memory of a board member's wife who had recently passed away from cancer. It was constructed at the board member's personal expense. Being at the bar, the club drunk had his back to all the people seated at the tables behind him, and didn't realize that said board member was seated right behind him. The board member was a bit of a hothead to start with, in addition to the fact that his wife just passed, so he jumps up, goes over to the drunk, starts punching him and yelling. Club drunk falls off the bar stool. Board member stops hitting him and walks off. Both received a 2-week suspension from the club premises.

If I ever get in a fight on the golf course I will know that some sort of intervention is needed.  I quit playing softball after a fight.  I would have never thought it possible but sure enough it happened. Unless someone just attacked me or something I can’t imagine what could make me not just walk away on a golf course...

2 hours ago, Blonde Line Lizard said:

With the whole "growing the game" BS along with playing music on the course for every one to hear, I think on-course confrontations are just going to increase in the future.

How does playing music have anything to do with a potential increase of on-course confrontations?

I am not seeing the correlation here.

Edited by madchens
  • Haha 1

Just now, Duffer222 said:

I think you missed the key point of the playing music statement…

”playing music on the course for everyone to hear”

and yes, that will indeed cause more confrontations, which leads to the potential for more fights.

I missed that bit. I have never had a situation where somebody was playing music so loud everyone could hear it.

For reference, I play probably 50-70 rounds a year on average and generally always at public courses.

Feels like the music thing is quite overblown. Even if they played it too loud, I can't imagine it would lead to more confrontations or fights. In general, people do everything possible to avoid a fight. I'd imagine the amount of confrontations wouldn't swing up or down in any memorable way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, double_d said:

You almost got into a fistfight over they way someone was looking at you? He didn't say anything? He didn't touch you or your stuff? He just looked at you?

Must have been giving him the "evil eye."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

Never saw a fight but I was playing with a friend who was a former pro boxer; a twosome had hit into us for the third time in nine holes and the boxer picked up their ball and threw it back towards them, then waited at the halfway house to 'discuss' the matter, which amounted to him telling off the offender in a profanity-laced tirade. 

My friend is 5'6 and the offender was over 6' and must have thought his height and bulk were intimidating; he advanced toward the boxer as if talk was over and he meant to shove or punch him. The boxer didn't back away or raise his arms, he just looked up and said "If I put my hands on you you'll feel it" in a time-to-go-back-to-work tone that gave the golfer second thoughts; he stopped his advance, mumbled some apology and backed off.  The rest of the round was without incident.

• Like 1

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

I came pretty close to a fight a few years ago.

Was out playing some twilight golf with my buddy from college and the group ahead of us was a foursome of guys in their early 20's. One of the guys was noticeably heated the entire round as we saw a few club throws. We mostly just thought it was really funny and didn't mind because they were actually keeping up a good pace of play.

Later on a short par 4 I was in the fairway probably 50 yards away from the green waiting for them to putt out. The heated guy missed a short putt, and then did the unthinkable -- took a full swing with his putter right into the green taking a massive divot right next to the hole. Swung so hard I think it actually broke his putter. Couldn't believe what I just saw.

The golfer in me was so mad, that I just picked up my ball from the fairway and made a beeline to catch up to them on the next tee box to confront him. To no surprise, he didn't take kindly to me calling him out for being a d***head and within seconds we were face to face insulting each other. He did the whole "what the f**k you gonna do about it?" while being an inch away from my face. Thought it was inevitable that hands would be thrown, but luckily that didn't happen.

I may have been in the wrong for going out of my way to call the guy out, but just couldn't help myself after seeing him blatantly destroy the green.

Edited by Blaiser
  • Like 1

Been really close once. Won't go into details. It involved people I knew in a yearly tournament I played in. Last hole, down on the 9hole bet and a press. Tried to razzle a guy into a stupid bet on a putt. He got offended and it got heated.

The other one was at the ritz. Just as covid hit last year. I figured golf was about to be locked down so I got out for a quick round...took my then 6yr old. I buzz around the course and get to the par 4 12th. Group in front me me was a 6-some. I wait for them to clear the green. I play up and quickly finish the hole. Par 3 next hole. I pull up to the tee as the 3rd guy hits. I am.playing back and they're playing 2 sets up. So I hop on the tee so I'm ready to hit as soon as they wave me through. Before I know it, my 6yr old pops his mini hybrid right toward them and hits one of the carts. Was probably the best shot he hit all day. They didn't get razzled at that. But they finish hitting and then drive off. As they get to the green I put my hands up like "um, you gonna let me.play through?". One guy yelled back at me. Can't remember what he said but i replied "I'm a single " so it had something to do with me playing through. They finish the hole. I hit and quickly finish. I pull up to the next tee and they've split into 2 two 3somes. The 1st 3some was in the fwy and the 2nd 3some was waiting to tee off. The 2nd group fees off and leaves...still no acknowledgement that I was there. They seemed to come to their senses and waved me up. When I got into the fwy one of the guys said something about me joining them. I played the hole out with them. On the next tee one of the other guys piped up and started yapping. He said something about me being rude and that "there's nowhere to go", insinuating that there were groups ahead. This was on 14 tee. I said "I've been doing this a long time and I can get through groups if I'm a single". He chimed in with "you don't know where you're playing, you're just a jerk who wants to push his way through the course". The 3rd guy who was in the group, had been quiet the entire time. It was his time to hit and he just went back to his cart, clearly flustered. The other "nicer guy" in the group told.me to just play through. I was a little hot and said "I don't understand why that was so hard". The jerk of the group said "just hit, I hope it goes in the water". I proceed to pipe it, centered cut, about 285. I just gave him a little smile. He gave me a parting shot of "I'll make sure you never play out here again"...to which I laughed. 

I got to my ball, Finished the hole, and the group on the next tee (friends of Mr doosh) let me play right through. 

The next group I saw was on 18. They were on the green as I got to my ball in the fwy. 

I pretty much laughed it off. Thought the guy's flex was interesting. Pulling the "you'll never play here again" on a daily fee course that has a small membership. Guess he doesn't have the ante to join bayhill or lake nona...

6 hours ago, Blonde Line Lizard said:

With the whole "growing the game" BS along with playing music on the course for every one to hear, I think on-course confrontations are just going to increase in the future.

I love playing music with by bluetooth speaker while we are out, but it's never loud enough for anyone else to hear it and I definitely cut it down when we get even remotely close to anyone. I want to respect the other folks who paid to be out there, and never assume they want to hear me blaring my Miley Cyrus album. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, rooski said:

Hah yeah bud it's not so far off, I've been known to have the touch of king kong around the greens so maybe quite applicable. I think that there is maybe a bit of reflection in the group ahead of me when they realize the ball that just rolled up to their feet is pin high on a 345y par 4 😂

I'd love to play in Scotland, I think the entire vibe of golf out there must be completely different than anywhere in the world and I presume like you say that in some ways it would reflect back into the people playing it there

My nickname is "Bear", from football days, then there's all my contractor training.  Sometimes all that's needed is a person's appearance to slow the roll of overzealous mouths.  Never had an issue, myself. 

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX