Carry a 5 wood or 2/3 hybrid?

wareagle902

Which do you prefer in that spot in your bag?  Haven’t carried a 5 wood since I was probably 10 but seems more popular than the hybrids with the pros these days. 

Would primarily want it to be a reliable option off the tee that I can flight down a bit but also an option from the fairway/ light rough. 

Got a GAPR mid 18* in that spot now which I like off the tee but toying around with a new 5 Wood or 2 hybrid. A little more distance/ forgiveness be nice. 

For ten years, I have had some combination of 4W + 7W after 3W got too hard to launch. 5W was solid club, just too close in yardage to 4W.

For you, sounds like a 5W or a hybrid might do it. A 3H might more versatile than a 2H... 2H is hard for some to hit, especially out of the rough.

Also, some people hit fairways better than hybrids, could be a factor. My guess: 5W or 3H would work best.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

24 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

For ten years, I have had some combination of 4W + 7W after 3W got too hard to launch. 5W was solid club, just too close in yardage to 4W.

For you, sounds like a 5W or a hybrid might do it. A 3H might more versatile than a 2H... 2H is hard for some to hit, especially out of the rough.

Also, some people hit fairways better than hybrids, could be a factor. My guess: 5W or 3H would work best.

Yeah starting to like the idea of a 5w. I’ve got a mini driver in the 3 wood slot and put a 4h in the bag over the 4i. 5 Wood might be the play in between gimme a better option from the fairway/rough than the 2H. Might even be better off the tee too. 

• Like 2

Bag has to be fluid. I’m in this situation right now. I have an apex 2h that I rip off the tee, and while I can hit it pretty high off the deck it doesn’t really hold greens from 230 out. Some courses that doesn’t matter but when you have a few accessible par 5s it makes sense to swap it out for a high spinny 5w. I am on the hunt for one now. 

• Like 1

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
UW 17* Smoke 70s

Fli-Hi 19* Smoke 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

I started the year with 5W, one of my favorite clubs in the bag. I noticed over time, however, I wasn’t really getting ideal results off the tee. Mostly playing a short, tight course, lots of trees; being in play off the tee is essential. And the 5W was a little too loose, risking penalty or recovery shots at a much higher percentage than my other options.

So I switched to a 3Hy I had sitting on deck, perhaps not as good off turf, but fantastic off the tee. On the short, tight course, it’s about equal to driver in terms of strokes gained/lost. 5W generally scores better than 3Hy in strokes gained off the deck; but it’s a trade off I’ll accept.

Now I’m trying 4W-3Hy, with some success. But when I go back to 3W, I may sub in the 5W on longer, wide open courses where I’d be hitting driver/3W off the tee 13 or 14 times.

Winter 2022-23

Ping G400 1W 10.5° Chrome 6F4

Ping G400 3W 14.5° EvenFlow Blue 75

Ping G400 3Hy & 4Hy NV 2KXV Green 85

Ping i200 5i-UW AWT 2.0

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange / Odyssey Stoke Lab Double Wide CS

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

26 minutes ago, DaRiz said:

Bag has to be fluid. I’m in this situation right now. I have an apex 2h that I rip off the tee, and while I can hit it pretty high off the deck it doesn’t really hold greens from 230 out. Some courses that doesn’t matter but when you have a few accessible par 5s it makes sense to swap it out for a high spinny 5w. I am on the hunt for one now. 

Definitely. I got so many clubs in that area of the bag lol. Pretty much given up on a 3 wood liking the mini driver there. Usually have that 18* GAPR and a strong 4 utility iron then 5 iron.  

Put the 4H in the bag recently and kinda liking that. 5 Wood probably be good on a more long open course where I won’t need the another option I can hit 240ish in play but wanna be able to get after a couple par 5s in 2 possibly. Maybe a 2H gimme the best of both though definitely don’t need something spinny just something I can get up in the air a little easier off the deck.  

Have had my eye on the new ping 2 hybrid but their 5 wood has a strong loft on it. Or maybe some other 5 wood with a lower spin profile. 

1 hour ago, wareagle902 said:

Which do you prefer in that spot in your bag?  Haven’t carried a 5 wood since I was probably 10 but seems more popular than the hybrids with the pros these days. 

Would primarily want it to be a reliable option off the tee that I can flight down a bit but also an option from the fairway/ light rough. 

Got a GAPR mid 18* in that spot now which I like off the tee but toying around with a new 5 Wood or 2 hybrid. A little more distance/ forgiveness be nice. 

Not a club out there that’s easier to hit straight than the GAPR, but I get better length out of the 5 wood in both the fairway and rough.

I retired my Taylor Made 19 degree 5 wood, replaced it with a 19 degree 3H, which is better in every respect. I'm donating the 5W to the local high school team.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

Struggling with this exact same question over the last couple of weeks.

Right now I’ve got a 19* 5W (Rogue) and a 19* 3H (SIM 2 Max) that I’ve been testing out and putting head-to-head over the last few weeks. 

What I’ve noticed for me in terms of results is that the 5W launches much higher and spins a lot more, whereas with the 3H I get much lower launch and way less spin, so because of that I get more rollout and more yardage with the Hybrid.

Both have their pros and cons, and both can be really good in the right situations.

For now I’m going to carry both since I have an extra spot in the bag, and going forward will potentially just keep both and swap them in and out depending on course conditions and layouts that I’ll be playing on a particular day.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Which to play depends on which YOU hit better.  There is no right or wrong answer.

Back in the day I loved my Wishon designed Snake Eye's Quickstrike hybrids.  I could hit the 18* long enough that I didn't need to hit a wood off the tee on any par 4 unless it was longer than 410 or so.  Hitting the fairway trumped hitting the ball longer.  

This is just me though, not you.  Play which ever you have more confidence in.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Completely course dependant. I've got a 2 iron, 2 hybrid and 5 wood that get rotated regularly. Sure, a flathead screwdriver will work on a philips screw, but the job is easier with the right tool.

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

I use a 3 hybrid but at 17 more like 2 hybrid. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I keep going back and forth on this. I have a 3 GAPR Hybrid that I love, but go between a 2 hybrid and a 5 wood. 

The 3 wood I am looking at is 16* so I am not needing a 17* 5 wood, but maybe an 18*. My existing 3 wood 15* is amazing though, so a matching 5 wood might be awesome.

I may never decide and just have clubs I swap out all the damn time. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I keep going back and forth on this. I have a 3 GAPR Hybrid that I love, but go between a 2 hybrid and a 5 wood. 

The 3 wood I am looking at is 16* so I am not needing a 17* 5 wood, but maybe an 18*. My existing 3 wood 15* is amazing though, so a matching 5 wood might be awesome.

I may never decide and just have clubs I swap out all the damn time. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I think the right answer is a combo of what works for you personally (i.e everyone perfers/hits diff clubs better than others - I prefer irons over hybrids as an example) and giving yourself options. 

Top end of the bag can be tricky, but if you have a few options its nice to sort of have a game plan for the course you are playing. For me, I regularly play a few courses, and depending on what tees we play, different clubs make more sense. 

I am generally pretty hard wired on Driver and driving iron, but swap between 13.5 mini driver and regular 3 wood in that slot depending on the course. Longer and wide open I will go regular 3 wood as I may need it off the deck (which i prefer over mini), and can generally hit driver on all par 4s. Shorter and tighter I bring the mini as I am far less likely to have a super long shot off the deck, but like the mini option as an alternative from the tee (more accurate for me than standard 3 wood).

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST (10) - Tour AD XC 7TX

Taylormade 300 Mini Driver (13.5 @ 43") - Tensei Pro White 80 TX

Mizuno STZ 5 Wood - Ventus Red 9X

-or-

Mizuno MP20 HMB 3 Iron (18*) - Aldila RIP Alpha 105X Hybrid Shaft

Taylormade P750 Tour Proto (2017) - PX 6.5 - 4-P

Cleveland RTX4 Black - 50/54/58

Scotty Phantom X5 (2022) - 34" - 10G weights

5W for me, but YMMV given conditions and confidence.  I carried a 17* 2H for a few years and it was good off the tee and even rough, but I never really liked the look.  Occasional hook but only with a bad swing.  5W has more speed though with the longer length, and easier height, and that gives me more options.  I can work a lower shot like 2H or stinger, but the 2H couldn't get as high as the 5W.  2H could run out farther, but 5W just has more tricks and is easier to work any way.  It's a club I can think of the shot and hit it.  I still make room for a 3 iron, but 5W is overall the better club.

Edited by joostin

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I carry a 15 year-old 3-Iron/Hybrid/Driving Iron when it's windy and a 5WD when it's not.

Either one is the most trusted club in my bag sans the putter and what I lean on when I absolutely have to have a tee shot on the fairway.

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I have a 18* 2h....does it still qualify as a 2h🤔😋

Have a 2h/18* and 3h/21*, both .335 and they are $. Although I don't hit the 2h terribly high, enough to be useful into the green.  I use it enough off the tee on short/ish par 4's.

IMO choose which club you hit the best, if you but both well, then change up based on course/conditions!

Edited by ode

26 minutes ago, nitram said:

I carry a 15 year-old 3-Iron/Hybrid/Driving Iron when it's windy and a 5WD when it's not.

Either one is the most trusted club in my bag sans the putter and what I lean on when I absolutely have to have a tee shot on the fairway.

Curious how ball flight is for you with that Bridgestone J33 AM in your sig - low, mid?  Always wanted to try one in the 3i spot thinking it's easy hitting DI bliss.  Sorry to derail OP

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

On 9/26/2021 at 9:50 AM, joostin said:

Curious how ball flight is for you with that Bridgestone J33 AM in your sig - low, mid?  Always wanted to try one in the 3i spot thinking it's easy hitting DI bliss.  Sorry to derail OP

With the Veylix it's mid on a stock shot but very workable both vertically and horizontally and amazingly friendly from the fairways well as the rough. With the stock NV Green shaft it was more mid-high. I'm admittedly biased but I haven't found a better performing nor better feeling club of it's type to replace it, and I've sampled several. By all means snag one and try it.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I am old enough that it helps to come up with ways of remembering stuff.

It isn't just distance but launch and landing!  A hybrid is better suited for launching the ball from the rough.  The wood needs a good lie.

The opposite is true landing a low lofted iron or hybrid.  Running the ball up to the tee requires a lengthy runway. 

A high lofted wood may be able to  "stick the landing" right on the green.

Edited by ShortGolfer

I just went through this dilemma, too. I landed on a 5W and have been extremely happy. Since I like my 3H so much, I thought a 2H would be the natural way to go, but I've already come to appreciate the variety I now have in type of shot. I was hung-up on the small loft difference and the potential lack of difference in distance to my hybrid, but as soon as I played in real life, those apprehensions went away.

In addition to driver, 4 iron, and 3 hybrid, I can now hit tee shots with the 5W, teed down low, that have a nice, high launch and definitely travel farther than my hybrid. It's also preferable for me off the fairway and sitting up in the rough. It's just a better ball flight for me all around. 

The 3 hybrid is right to get me out of worse rough and when I want to hit an iron shot with some more zip on it. But I'm glad I didn't go with a 2 hybrid - I'm not sure it would've given me anything appreciably different than my 3H, except maybe that it would be harder to launch.

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Hybrids every day. Good with any lie, whereas woods need decent lies. About to order a 2h again for long fairway shots. 

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping