LIV with some big money announcements (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)

CCTxGolf

1 hour ago, ebrasmus21 said:

Interesting.  What would Rory say in his presser if he did announce joining after he publicly crappped on the entire idea? 

“can you blame me?”

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

37 minutes ago, rkelso184 said:

Let's stop focusing on where the money is coming from for a second and think about what this can do for the game of golf.

To get your card on the PGA is hard, to get your card on the DP is hard, to compete on the KFT is hard! This series is allowing another 50 golfers the opportunity to make $, This will also open up for more club company sponsorships within our sport, open the door to more golfers around the 200ish OWGR an opportunity to compete and will only help the sport and athletes along the way.

Bryson has said before making money isn't as easy as we all assume for these guys. I think the PGA and DP need to not punish this series but embrace it, they need to realise the competition is healthy and the PGA will ALWAYS be the premier event. However, why can't there be another nice 2nd series tour?

Lastly, if someone like Tiger (I know it won't ever happen) was to jump in and play as walking 54 holes will be easier, if someone like Tiger says "this is great" or if someone like Tiger embraced another tour would we even all be here criticizing? would we be so negative towards the series? would we be calling it "crap" etc?

Someone is literally investing huge money into our sport yet we are all so against it? It is very hard to find "clean" money in this day and age. Yes killing anybody in my opinion isn't acceptable, but also I don't agree with kid ran workshops, I don't agree with slave labour, I don't agree with any forms of abuse yet as I am writing this I am sitting in a Nike jumper, I played with golf clubs yesterday made by companies like this and I fill my car weekly with oil which I assume comes from these locations only wishing they produced more to help rising fuel prices.

Very good perspective. I feel the same as you. Seems as though a lot of people have the holier than thou, judgmental attitude. We can only do what we can do. In an idea world none of this bad stuff would happen but unfortunately it does. Sometimes we as individuals are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I think it would be cool if some of the lower ranked/younger players would have an opportunity to make a decent living doing what they have worked their whole lives to do. We all have dreams. It would be nice if some of those people could fulfill theirs. 

• Like 1

$$$$

1 hour ago, ChipStrokes said:

“can you blame me?”

"I made a comment on the series without all the information, I wasn't educated about all the facts and I should have remained silent until everything was detailed. I'm sorry for any bad press and negativitiy I have provided towards the series but I do feel this is great for the game of golf and I can't wait to tee it up this week"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rkelso184 said:

Let's stop focusing on where the money is coming from for a second and think about what this can do for the game of golf.

By that logic, you'd be happy to take the money from anyone. A global sport like golf cannot simply ignore where the money is coming from...especially when you're talking a fundamental change to the professional game worldwide. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, WhostherealSlimShady said:

Week in and week out the PGA Tour is boring and has some of the worst televised events in sport. Commercial after commercial, drivel from CEOs interrupting what little coverage is shown. Bad announcers, hiring people to do post round interviews who are clueless The PGA Tour can do a LOT better, and quite frankly a bit of competition is good for business. Makes them re-evaluate and hopefully produce a better product. 

For starters everyone in the field should get paid, including the caddies, cut or not. Say 20k or so per tournament. 

LIV may or may not make it, but their are others with deep pockets that could give the tour a real run for the money. The PGA Tour needs a wakeup.

I’m not a fan of the SGL, but you are right. The PGA Tour has been coasting with a product that doesn’t care about the fans for a long time. Giving bonuses out to Tour VPs because they flooded the schedule with too many bland tournaments has come back to bite them.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

6 hours ago, WhostherealSlimShady said:

Week in and week out the PGA Tour is boring and has some of the worst televised events in sport. Commercial after commercial, drivel from CEOs interrupting what little coverage is shown. Bad announcers, hiring people to do post round interviews who are clueless The PGA Tour can do a LOT better, and quite frankly a bit of competition is good for business. Makes them re-evaluate and hopefully produce a better product. 

For starters everyone in the field should get paid, including the caddies, cut or not. Say 20k or so per tournament. 

LIV may or may not make it, but their are others with deep pockets that could give the tour a real run for the money. The PGA Tour needs a wakeup.

Then vote with your fingers. Watch NASCAR. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Root for LIV at your own risk.

It’s the worst possible thing for competition and worst thing for a great tour and experience for fans.

The PGA Tour is 100% competition and merit based.

It’s Darwinism at its best and that’s what you want. 

Bottom up, dog eat dog. The players learned this as kids and it’s still consistent throughout their careers into the tour. 

There are a handful of examples where top players get a free payday.

But overall it’s still “kill or be killed”. 

But, the LIV, is “top down” at its core, and will disincentivize performance. 

Take a guy like JT. His whole life he’s fueled by two thing,

Desire to win and fear of losing. 

And even now, he knows that, while his bank is flush, and “he’s the man”, if he doesn’t get out there a work his fingers to the bone, he’s gonna get his but kicked. 

And Poof! It all disappears.

But let’s say he takes 100MM from the LIV. 

His whole ingrained incentive mentality is thrown out the window. He’s not gonna work as hard.

Just look at Rory to see how crazy bank waters down a players motivation to “kill” anybody who challenges them. 

Rory used to have a chip on his shoulder. Desperate and paranoid to prove he’s the best. 

Now, Rory, if he doesn’t win…ahhh golf isn’t everything. 

That’s the LIV. 

That's a brilliant post in its sentiment.

Also, one line is wordplay gold.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

15 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

It’s the worst possible thing for competition and worst thing for a great tour and experience for fans.

Bottom up, dog eat dog. The players learned this as kids and it’s still consistent throughout their careers into the tour. 

And even now, he knows that, while his bank is flush, and “he’s the man”, if he doesn’t get out there a work his fingers to the bone, he’s gonna get his but kicked. 

His whole ingrained incentive mentality is thrown out the window. He’s not gonna work as hard.

Just look at Rory to see how crazy bank waters down a players motivation to “kill” anybody who challenges them. 

Rory used to have a chip on his shoulder. Desperate and paranoid to prove he’s the best. 

That’s the LIV. 

You still have to work their entire life to get chosen. People who make it to that level have a different mindset so I don’t think it changes everything. If you think of it in a different way..for the most part the pga tour only sells performance. Liv being a bringing in the team aspect opens the door to other dynamics that can potentially be capitalized monetary ie personality/trash talking.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

That’s the LIV. 

Interesting take. The quality of golf could get worse, but I think overall it would still be competitive.  The whole "team" concept could create new reasons to play hard.  I don't know if I would agree that "the worst possible thing for competition" is more competition.  That seems to argue against what you are arguing for.

While you can make the argument the money ruined Rory, it does not appear to have with Tiger. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

That’s the LIV. 

This is true it may make some players less hungry. Probably the mid career to late career players would gain the most from this.

Do not forget in your anecdote that JT makes $100m. That’s VERY important 

Thats a very important part.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Interesting take. The quality of golf could get worse, but I think overall it would still be competitive.  The whole "team" concept could create new reasons to play hard.  I don't know if I would agree that "the worst possible thing for competition" is more competition.  That seems to argue against what you are arguing for.

While you can make the argument the money ruined Rory, it does not appear to have with Tiger. 

Agreed. I feel that the fierce competitiveness in the Tigers, JTs, Phils, Rahms etc. are the impetus for the great play they have given to us. They all started at some point having to prove their mettle, as it were, to even be on a stage where they can showcase their game to the world and against the best. Not a single one of those guys ended up with a tour card and their winning reps because someone gave it to them.

@bscinstnct I agree with your post overall, but my question is going to be a bit more forward-thinking and IMO opens Pandora's Box: the guys the SGL would be targeting are going to be existing performers (Rory, DJ, Phil) or proven performers (Poulter, Casey, Scott) that draw a crowd and recognition. I don't see the SGL targeting the up-and-comers who haven't put a peg in the ground on a big tour. Right now, they're going to want a majority to be named players. So after a few years (pending it's successful on some level), other players will need to come to the SGL just based on attrition and turnover and if the money's really there, they'll want to. I wonder what the qualifications would be to stay on the SGL? Something like the NFL/MLB/NBA etc. where you are "drafted" and given a shot and then a contract? Can you be "cut" so-to-speak if your performance isn't up to par (pun fully intended)? Here's the crazy one: would the SGL end up essentially using the PGA/Euro Tour as its feeder Tour? Where this all goes way down the line will be quite interesting.

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, oikos1 said:

Put simply, money is one of the best incentives

Too much…the best disincentive 

Look at the “curse of the lottery” ; )

Look at Billy Joel and U2 to see how money destroys performance 🤣

And Tiger?

Tiger would have gladly beat the crap out of the golf world for free cheeseburgers 🍔 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, DON SVO said:

Agreed. I feel that the fierce competitiveness in the Tigers, JTs, Phils, Rahms etc. are the impetus for the great play they have given to us. They all started at some point having to prove their mettle, as it were, to even be on a stage where they can showcase their game to the world and against the best. Not a single one of those guys ended up with a tour card and their winning reps because someone gave it to them.

@bscinstnct I agree with your post overall, but my question is going to be a bit more forward-thinking and IMO opens Pandora's Box: the guys the SGL would be targeting are going to be existing performers (Rory, DJ, Phil) or proven performers (Poulter, Casey, Scott) that draw a crowd and recognition. I don't see the SGL targeting the up-and-comers who haven't put a peg in the ground on a big tour. Right now, they're going to want a majority to be named players. So after a few years (pending it's successful on some level), other players will need to come to the SGL just based on attrition and turnover and if the money's really there, they'll want to. I wonder what the qualifications would be to stay on the SGL? Something like the NFL/MLB/NBA etc. where you are "drafted" and given a shot and then a contract? Can you be "cut" so-to-speak if your performance isn't up to par (pun fully intended)? Here's the crazy one: would the SGL end up essentially using the PGA/Euro Tour as its feeder Tour? Where this all goes way down the line will be quite interesting.

The LIV is like

Taking Tigers  out of the wild. They kill everything to eat. Predatory skills honed to perfection and a sight to behold. 

Then you put them in captivity and throw them 20 pounds of Kobe beef in their cage everyday. 

In a few months a house tabby will kick their butt ; )

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2022 at 5:15 PM, BNGL said:

Definitely excited to see the courses, Pumpkin Ridge and The International. Trump Golf Links and Rich Harvest Farms is first rate as well. I’d assume the international venues are first rate as well!

Pumpkin will be dialed, I will be in attendance if this actually plays out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

On 3/17/2022 at 3:56 AM, hunterdog said:

While I generally don’t like the idea of the SGL because, well, it’s the Saudis.  I am interested in the logistics. In no particular order:

A.  Players. I think that a player who holds a PGAT card must request an exemption at least 45 days before an unsanctioned event.  If exemptions are requested and not granted, and still plays in the Saudi event, will that Tour card holder be suspended from the Tour?

B. Television and broadcast. NBC, ESPN, and CBS have committed to broadcasting the PGAT, at least through 2019.Televised golf, as it is, a sport with relatively limited viewership.  Are the Saudi events going to broadcast?  I assume no sponsors will be needed but a broadcaster, somehow, has got to make some money.  I don’t see Callaway, Titleist, or Cadillac advertising during a Saudi event.

C. Assuming that the Saudis want live fans at the events. What’s the logistics for marshals, food vendors, bathrooms, etc.  I have always thought the PGAT has a sweet deal with local charities supplying free laborers.  Is that going to be the Saudis’ model as well?

D. Player accommodations.  PGAT card holders have a pretty good thing g Ling at events. Free cars, food, and, importantly, the equipment company tour vans.  How is that going to work?  Maybe the players can go to a local Club Champion?

E. Player sponsors.  How are sponsors going to react.  Will the companies want their endorsers also endorsing the “scary mo…f…” who own the Saudi Tour?

The reaction of the sponsors will be critical.

Given the state of the world we are in today, how many sponsors will want even the slightest controversy associated with their players????  It doesn't take much to have a "boycott" this company because their player is playing for Saudi blood money get started.

Can a player risk losing their sponsorship money and earn enough in the Saudi league to replace it?

Edited by Golfnuck

13 minutes ago, BNGL said:

Pics please! Heard lots of good things used to play it on PGA Tour for PlayStation

Will do!

PR.jpg.87ae3f1e2412902ec173f69a7706cbc5.jpg

• Like 2

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

Over the decades, did golf get better to watch because of the bigger purses?  While there is some influence, I am not going to credit money as the main reason golf gave us:

Bobby Jones, Walter Hagen -> Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson -> Ben Hogan, Sam Snead -> Palmer, Nicklaus, Player -> Watson, Trevino, Miller -> Norman, Seve, Faldo -> Tiger, Phil, and then a bunch of others.

So I am not buying we need LIV to give golf a kick in the pants.  This talk of mega money in new tournaments to help incentivize the best to be better???  Huh?  Isn't that why we have the 4 majors?   

49 minutes ago, Golfnuck said:

Given the state of the world we are in today, how many sponsors will want even the slightest controversy associated with their players????  It doesn't take much to have a "boycott" this company because their player is playing for Saudi blood money get started.

all of these huge corporations would be hypocrites for cutting and running. they all (or almost all) do business in SA, or have saudi oil money on their books. 

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

11 hours ago, Dicka said:

By that logic, you'd be happy to take the money from anyone. A global sport like golf cannot simply ignore where the money is coming from...especially when you're talking a fundamental change to the professional game worldwide. 

Yep agreed. I also don’t ask myself daily where the money or product I’m using day to day is coming from, I’m asking myself what will make my personal life easier, life better for my family and better for my business.

From a sport perspective, I don't find the format compelling at all.  only 48 players 54 hole no cut.  Outside of the money there is nothing that makes this any fun to watch.  Nobody really knows the courses outside of Bedminster or Pumpkin Ridge.  I don't see this adding value to the view experience. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Yes, PGA is merit based from previous accomplishments, but is it the "best of the best" at the current moment?

If the PGA is based on the current "best of the best, dog eat dog" tour they would get rid of all the long term exemptions. Only the "best of the best" who are currently playing well get to play. Not saying PGA tour should be without exemptions, but there are a lot of exempt players on PGA that are not playing well and very low on the OWGR that have been exempt for a while, so it is not necessarily the "best of the best" at the current time. 

LIV events are not going to replace PGA nor was it their goal. It was just to provide an addition to the PGA tour and open up some different formats of tournaments for pros to play and fans to watch, and to increase earning potential for the pros. Now that the talent is so deep, there is more room for more money and events with world class players. If you were to play a round with a player ranked 200-250 in the world and the top 25 in the world, you would be hard pressed to really tell any difference. They all have the same distances, shots, talent levels, etc, etc. LIV is looking for increasing ratings especially among younger demographics (average age of people who watch golf is 65 years old) and  the top players are not always the highest rating players by the viewers. The PIP money rankings show that. 

I don't understand the team aspect, a new team each tournament? How are fans supposed to get behind that?

I also don't see the PGA tour granting exemptions for the stateside LIV tournaments that are in direct competition, John Deere, Rocket Mortgage are the two big ones. In addition Bryson for example is sponsored by RM, https://brysondechambeau.com/partners . He going to give that up for LIV?

Edited by aus10KC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tacklingdummy said:

Yes, PGA is merit based from previous accomplishments, but is it the "best of the best" at the current moment?

If the PGA is based on the current "best of the best, dog eat dog" tour they would get rid of all the long term exemptions. Only the "best of the best" who are currently playing well get to play. Not saying PGA tour should be without exemptions, but there are a lot of exempt players on PGA that are not playing well and very low on the OWGR that have been exempt for a while, so it is not necessarily the "best of the best" at the current time. 

LIV events are not going to replace PGA nor was it their goal. It was just to provide an addition to the PGA tour and open up some different formats of tournaments for pros to play and fans to watch, and to increase earning potential for the pros. Now that the talent is so deep, there is more room for more money and events with world class players. If you were to play a round with a player ranked 200-250 in the world and the top 25 in the world, you would be hard pressed to really tell any difference. They all have the same distances, shots, talent levels, etc, etc. LIV is looking for increasing ratings especially among younger demographics (average age of people who watch golf is 65 years old) and  the top players are not always the highest rating players by the viewers. The PIP money rankings show that. 

Why would you think the PGAT, and thereby the KFT, would still exist, at least as it now?  How many sponsors are going to want to pony up big dollars to get the “B” players on the “B” tour?  Who is going to watch it and who is going to televise it? Essentially, the PGAT becomes what is now the KFT except it won’t have a group, like the PGAT, to subsidize it.

5 hours ago, hunterdog said:

Why would you think the PGAT, and thereby the KFT, would still exist, at least as it now?  How many sponsors are going to want to pony up big dollars to get the “B” players on the “B” tour?  Who is going to watch it and who is going to televise it? Essentially, the PGAT becomes what is now the KFT except it won’t have a group, like the PGAT, to subsidize it.

First, it is only 4 events in the US. The PGA tour has 48 events. So that is only a small fraction of PGA tour market share. Secondly, as I said before the average age of golf viewers is 65 years old. LIV is trying to get a younger audience to watch their events which would open up new sponsors. I think LIV is trying to make events different than the PGA tour and going to mix things up some. PGA tour events are still a good product and good to watch, but has become complacent in their events. 

Personally, the one thing I hope LIV does is have at least most of the audio on mic'd up players/caddies dialogue rather than analysts and announcers. Tired of listening to same old analysts/commentators say the same things. Player/caddie interactions would be great to hear and could have some serious drama.

44 minutes ago, tacklingdummy said:

First, it is only 4 events in the US. The PGA tour has 48 events. So that is only a small fraction of PGA tour market share. Secondly, as I said before the average age of golf viewers is 65 years old. LIV is trying to get a younger audience to watch their events which would open up new sponsors. I think LIV is trying to make events different than the PGA tour and going to mix things up some. PGA tour events are still a good product and good to watch, but has become complacent in their events. 

Personally, the one thing I hope LIV does is have at least most of the audio on mic'd up players/caddies dialogue rather than analysts and announcers. Tired of listening to same old analysts/commentators say the same things. Player/caddie interactions would be great to hear and could have some serious drama.

Absolutely love this idea.  The PGA makes a feckless attempt at this and never really seems to give the viewers enough.  They have so many "feeds" these days that they could easily have a non-announcer feed that gives us all caddy and player.  LIV would most likely give player interactions as well, especially if they go with the team concept. 

• Like 2

I am looking forward to watch more golf. After reading the proposal and the format, I believe it will make for good golf.

I don't understand the non-profit, PGA Tour's greedy attitude, but alas, is not like I watch PGA Tour events that often.

• Like 2

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

• GwrxMod changed the title to DJ and Phil's reception by players at the US Open (*** TOPIC MODERATED ***)
  • SheriffBooth locked this topic
  • Gxgolfer unlocked this topic