Not a good start for Paul Azinger

Wildwing55Wildwing55 Members Posts: 287 ✭✭
I know it's tough taking over for Johnny Miller. But:



Paul, you are an announcer, not a cheerleader. The Phoenix is not over yet, but from the beginning, you were pretty much begging for Fowler to win the tournament. You would hate to see him blow that big a lead, etc, etc, hope he pulls it out, etc.



Get this, and get it good. Your job is not to root for any player, no matter how popular he is, and no matter how big a lead he has going into the final round. Your job is to call the action as you see it, from a player's prospective. You didn't do that today.



Not an easy job, is it? But learn, and be more objective than you were today, no matter how this one turns out.
«134567

Comments

  • sui generissui generis Members Posts: 3,800 ✭✭
    Wildwing55 wrote:


    I know it's tough taking over for Johnny Miller. But:



    Paul, you are an announcer, not a cheerleader. The Phoenix is not over yet, but from the beginning, you were pretty much begging for Fowler to win the tournament. You would hate to see him blow that big a lead, etc, etc, hope he pulls it out, etc.



    Get this, and get it good. Your job is not to root for any player, no matter how popular he is, and no matter how big a lead he has going into the final round. Your job is to call the action as you see it, from a player's prospective. You didn't do that today.



    Not an easy job, is it? But learn, and be more objective than you were today, no matter how this one turns out.




    And, take four days off and go to a PGA/USGA Rules Workshop. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.
  • wfrogge1wfrogge1 Members Posts: 1,192 ✭✭
    I couldn’t stand Johnny Miller and his constant “when I played in 1974” comments myself. Kind of enjoying Zinger today
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,347 ✭✭
    wfrogge1 wrote:


    I couldn’t stand Johnny Miller and his constant “when I played in 1974” comments myself. Kind of enjoying Zinger today




    The main thing I won't miss from Miller is him talking about himself. I prefer Azinger already.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,823 ✭✭
    Zinger will improve but he won't "replace" Miller
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Diamana Blueboard 63x
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,011 ✭✭
    Really hoped Zinger's neighbour would finally be able to put that overhanging fruit tree dispute behind him and not bring the animosity to the forum, but I guess not.
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,304 ✭✭
    Wildwing55 wrote:


    I know it's tough taking over for Johnny Miller. But:



    Paul, you are an announcer, not a cheerleader. The Phoenix is not over yet, but from the beginning, you were pretty much begging for Fowler to win the tournament. You would hate to see him blow that big a lead, etc, etc, hope he pulls it out, etc.



    Get this, and get it good. Your job is not to root for any player, no matter how popular he is, and no matter how big a lead he has going into the final round. Your job is to call the action as you see it, from a player's prospective. You didn't do that today.



    Not an easy job, is it? But learn, and be more objective than you were today, no matter how this one turns out.




    Over dramatic, much? Directing this directly at Azinger as if he gives a flying f what you think is just a joke. He’s five minutes in and you’re ridiculous.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,113 ClubWRX
  • provxprovx Members Posts: 827 ✭✭
    Azinger is doing fine and will be a good announcer, but that comment about tour players not choking in their body only in their thought processes was idiotic
    Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
    Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
    Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
    Biomech Acculock
    Snell MTB Black
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,760 ✭✭
    Man I wouldn’t want to be Zinger after the beating OP just dished out to him.
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

    The feedback system is annoying
  • 00steven00steven Members Posts: 184 ✭✭
    I like Paul *shrugs*
    Driver: Taylormade M3
    3 Wood: Taylormade M2
    3 Hybrid: Taylormade M2
    4-PW: Titleist AP1
    Wedges: 52/56 Titlest SM5 60 Titleist SM6
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 3
    Ball: Titleist ProV1x
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,192 ✭✭
    Did you hear that... Paul said there are no golf Gods? What next? He's gonna tell us that there is no Santa Claus?
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,323 ✭✭
    Looks like the top of Don Kings head!



    Ok, ok, not bad
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,657 ClubWRX
    duffer987 wrote:


    Really hoped Zinger's neighbour would finally be able to put that overhanging fruit tree dispute behind him and not bring the animosity to the forum, but I guess not.




    Perfect!
  • SheriffBoothSheriffBooth Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 4,429 mod
    Azinger’s that playing partner that reminds you about the OB and water hazards, rather than telling you where a good shot should go.
    Taylormade M6, 9.0*, Hzrdus Smoke 60 S
    Taylormade M5, 15*, Hzrdus Smoke 70 S
    Callaway Apex 3H, Kuro Kage S
    Taylormade P-790, 4-PW, Recoil 110 F4 +1"
    Taylormade MG 50, 56, 60 Recoil 110 F4 +1"
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black, 36"
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,657 ClubWRX


    Azinger’s that playing partner that reminds you about the OB and water hazards, rather than telling you where a good shot should go.




    LOL, more shots fired! I've always thought Paul was more FIGJAM than genius when it came to all things Ryder Cup, but I was going to give him a pass on his latest announcing maiden voyage, at least for today. I guess now I didn't. ;-)
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,554 ✭✭
    I watch the golf and formulate my opinions on what I see. I don't hinge on the announcer's every word like some of you guys.



    This board is turning into a bitchh fest.
    PING Rapture V1 Driver 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* & 23* hybrids
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 46/54/58
    Odyssey #1WS
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,657 ClubWRX
    BMC wrote:


    I watch the golf and formulate my opinions on what I see. I don't hinge on the announcer's every word like some of you guys.



    This board is turning into a bitchh fest.




    Turning into?
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,431 ✭✭
    sdandrea wrote:

    wfrogge1 wrote:


    I couldn’t stand Johnny Miller and his constant “when I played in 1974” comments myself. Kind of enjoying Zinger today




    The main thing I won't miss from Miller is him talking about himself. I prefer Azinger already.




    I only paid half attention to today’s show, but Zinger mentioned twice that he had won this tournament. Might have been more, but I caught at least two.
  • IVMIVM Members Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Azinger’s head size (ego) is as big as anyone’s”. He will never replace Johnnie Miller but he might be appreciated over time . But not for me .
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members Posts: 565 ✭✭

    sdandrea wrote:

    wfrogge1 wrote:


    I couldn't stand Johnny Miller and his constant "when I played in 1974" comments myself. Kind of enjoying Zinger today




    The main thing I won't miss from Miller is him talking about himself. I prefer Azinger already.




    I only paid half attention to today's show, but Zinger mentioned twice that he had won this tournament. Might have been more, but I caught at least two.




    Yep, I only watched the last 3 holes and I heard two.
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    Wow. Azinger not bragging about himself is a win over miller. I don’t care if he or anyone else is being a fan boy and mist of the time the announcers are just white noise when I’m watching, that is if it’s not the pip that has no sound
  • DNice26DNice26 Members Posts: 4,144 ✭✭
    Not a fan. Lame, lame, lame commentary.
    Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
    TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
    Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
    TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
    Ping Tyne, 35"

    https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/
  • sspssp Members Posts: 1,021 ✭✭
    He was fine ....
  • soap1984soap1984 Members Posts: 705 ✭✭
    I thought he was good also and a welcomed change. His voice is a tad monotone but his actual commentary was good.
    M2- Hzrdus Black 6.0
    0341x 3 wood
    19 degree 0317 and G400 22 degree hybrids
    0311T Gen2 5 -w (KBS C-taper lite)
    0311t 52, 56, 60 (Romeo)
    Bat Attack P
  • munichopmunichop Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    I always thought Azinger was at his best when he was paired with Faldo many moons ago. I agree that he appeared to root for Fowler. I tape most of the golf I watch and ff thru the commentary most of the time now. I don't have high expectations for him but with all the graphics a lot of the commentary is trivial. BTW I thought some of the short game errors today were due to the reduced spin a lot of the balls now have around the green. They don't seem to skid and check as well as they used to do. I just got and ERC from Callaway to tryout and it didn't spin any better to me than my gamer soft. i am still trying to replace that ball in my bag but nothing quite matches it yrt- especially for the price.
  • Wildwing55Wildwing55 Members Posts: 287 ✭✭
    munichop wrote:




    I agree that he appeared to root for Fowler.




    Which was the point of my post. Many fan boys came on to show distemper, as they do. But the point of being an announcer is what I said, above. You are one of the few who have caught it. Being an announcer is not easy, but you have to remember who you are. As an announcer, you do not express a preference for a winner.



    Of course, some of the fan boys here will still be in a lather. Over what, who knows, and probably temporary.
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood? Members Posts: 1,401 ✭✭
    I think Azinger said it best early on, no one likes to see the 54-hole leader with a good cushion implode. That's not being a homer and overly rooting for Rickey.



    You can't even begin to count the number of times a golf announcer favors the leader when the gap gets to 3-4 shots. And was there ever an announcer that was not falling all over themselves when Tiger was in his prime?



    Give Azinger a break, he just started with this team, it will take a bit to gel.
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,593 ✭✭
    BMC wrote:
    I watch the golf and formulate my opinions on what I see. I don't hinge on the announcer's every word like some of you guys.



    This board is turning into a bitchh fest.




    I agree.
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,832 ✭✭

    sdandrea wrote:

    wfrogge1 wrote:


    I couldn't stand Johnny Miller and his constant "when I played in 1974" comments myself. Kind of enjoying Zinger today




    The main thing I won't miss from Miller is him talking about himself. I prefer Azinger already.




    I only paid half attention to today's show, but Zinger mentioned twice that he had won this tournament. Might have been more, but I caught at least two.
    there was .. "when I ..... " from Azinger at least a half dozen times.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,518 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:


    Looks like the top of Don Kings head!



    Ok, ok, not bad


    Actually think he may catch some flack for that one
Sign In or Register to comment.