This is a topic that will irritate you, but make your handicap go down.

Some of the yardages for wedges quoted is very very low IMO, based on my game and what I see from my peers, many that are very VERY low caps

Now that said I have always delofted my short irons a lot and hit them far relative to other players of the same speed.  I can remember playing the Canadian Am way when and my x-14 pro-series stock shot with a 9i was 160 carry 

I have to basically whiff a PW to hit it 120.  I can comfortably hit a 50* GW 120 with a very smooth action and even 130 if the shot calls for that (ie left pin over a trap etc)

Stock swings, 44* PW 140, 50* GW 125, 54* SW at 110, 59* LW at 95

Sorry to be the contrarian

I do hit my wedges a lot softer and with more release than I used to .... and as referenced in the punch thread I knock down the majority of them to hit hop and stop shots 

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

On 11/28/2020 at 5:51 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

The thread on punch shots made me think of  discussing this.  So I just wanted to get some examples to show how golfers hit their wedges way too hard and too far and it makes it more difficult to manage distance because trajectory and spin are not consistent.  Almost without exception, golfers over the handicap of 0 improve their proximity when they hit more club,  with a shorter backswing, with less speed and keep trajectory and spin down on most shots.  

There’s no world long wedge contest, they are made for accuracy not distance.  You ever notice how higher level players have much shorter swings on wedges than driver?  Most of you know that even though I’m an old fat man, I can carry a driver 3 bills without much trouble, yet my PW is 130-135.  140 is NEVER a PW unless there is an extenuating circumstance.  

Whenever I have this discussion with people, here are the comments I get and what I respond.

1.  “I can easily hit it that far, that’s my stock PW.”  I don’t doubt you can, but why would you want to?

2.  “I’m a very good wedge player.”  I don’t doubt it, but you’re not on the PGA and even they are trying to be better.

3.  “I don’t do well hitting partial wedges.”  It’s not always a partial wedge, it managing the length of your swing better because it’s too long.

4.  “Tour players hit their wedges far, and high.”  Yes, but they are skilled enough and practice to manage trajectory, distance and spin...and have you every watched carefully at how many lower trajectory shots they hit inside 150 on the range and course?

5.  “The greens at my course are firm and I need to do that to hit it close to tucked pins.”  See Scott Fawcett’s thoughts on going for the pin.

Learn to hit all your short irons 2 clubs shorter than what you think you hit now with a shorter backswing.  This is especially helpful for those with excess arm swing in their backswing, but even if you go back to your full yardage, you’ll have another shot in your bag, but most will find a much better level of consistency not trying to hit short irons full (max distance).

I think a good player would pick a club based off shot shape, yardage and conditions.  Key is, know your true distances vs what you think you hit them on a day with the wind at your back.  So many amateurs are trying to be like a PGA player on the course but would challenge them to club up one or two, control your tempo and you'd be amazed to see how many pins you'll find.  I partially blame the narrative of big OEM's pushing the whole distance/low spin thing.  SPIN in your friend people!  

That is all.  

- KC 

• Like 1

Wood Bros Kool Cat F-1 - 11°

TaylorMade Tour Cleek - 16°

Ping Eye 2 - 1 Iron

[Irons - TBD]

Cleveland Reg. 588 - Special 49°

Wilson Staff Dyna-Power - SW

Scotty Cameron CA Coronado - 34"

1 hour ago, cardoustie said:

Some of the yardages for wedges quoted is very very low IMO, based on my game and what I see from my peers, many that are very VERY low caps

Now that said I have always delofted my short irons a lot and hit them far relative to other players of the same speed.  I can remember playing the Canadian Am way when and my x-14 pro-series stock shot with a 9i was 160 carry 

I have to basically whiff a PW to hit it 120.  I can comfortably hit a 50* GW 120 with a very smooth action and even 130 if the shot calls for that (ie left pin over a trap etc)

I do hit my wedges a lot softer and with more release than I used to .... and as referenced in the punch thread I knock down the majority of them to hit hop and stop shots 

Well, my PW is 48*, so that's probably a good 10-12 yards right there. I'm about 260-270 driver and 123 PW.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

I practiced hitting the gap wedge 80 yards today (115 stock) with a lower flight and hit them all on line. The pull was gone so the tip about not letting your arms get away from you in the backswing was spot on. Keep them coming @MonteScheinblum

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

2 hours ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

Of course, I agree.  "May" is appropriate, and I was hoping the loose correlation was the caveat.  I am sure we do not want to get started on PW lofts, as they can easily range from 42-48 degrees.  Not the point @Howard_Jones was making, and I was relaying.  Thanks!

Haha, I almost mentioned loft and agree!

First, altitude is 3,343 feet.  Driver 260 & 47* PW at a full swing is 140.  Only take a full PW swing when it is the best option.  If open shot into a green is 140, use the 9 iron and take the swing back to the 11 o'clock position.

Monte, if you see this....really would like your input on my technique.  The obvious...hands of the clock approach to distance.  Now what I wonder about is my process.  When I take the swing for where ever I am wanting the "position" to be at, I still have my body react like a full swing.  Example: RH golfer so at set-up my weight is positioned on the inside of the left foot.  Start the backswing & shift the weight to inside of right foot.  Get hands to desired position & swing.  Biggest mistake with this can be the feeling that you have to accelerate the downswing to make up for the shorter backswing.  At the least, this will result in a pull.  Short story on the process.

Really wanting your input on this because an old high school friend retired this year & moved to my area.  After playing so many rounds this year together, he wants me working with him on trying to control his yardage on approach shots.  He caught the concept really quick, now it is just working at the hand position during the winter.  Granted, told him in the beginning that just because it works for me does not mean it will work for him.  But we both thought that if nothing else, it might help him discover what does work for him.  I am always leery of teaching people what I do.  But when it is a 40+ year old friend...big exception.  So am I totally off in my approach.....or at least in the ballpark...or even lucky to even be in the infield!

Just to add....I will do this with any club (except putter).  Depends on the yardage needed & where the ball has to go.   

1 hour ago, Ty_Webb said:

Well, my PW is 48*, so that's probably a good 10-12 yards right there. I'm about 260-270 driver and 123 PW.

That’s why you’re a great player.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I seldom feel like I don’t take full swings anymore. Hard to replicate. I always suggest to other players to take in 9 holes as a practice round when the course has died down and what I found helpful is establishing some variations of wedge shots from 120 yards in. Meaning 120, 110, 100 ,all the way till your shortest wedge. Typically I play two shots with each club I.e one with hands at my ear and one with my hands at shoulder level. Others might push the position of the ball more forward or take it more towards the back of your stance. Different ways to approach it. I take Pw and jot down my distances, then I do the same with my Gap and my 58. You gotta have a shot that is just as easy to replicate during a regular shot versus when there is something on the line. Not sure how others approach it. I found that when you have your shorter approach irons figured out, you find yourself feeling more in control over all. 

• Like 2

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

That’s why you’re a great player.

Haha - I wish - it's because I stall and flip and add loft. Doesn't really hurt too much with driver, but wedges go nowhere. 123 is my flat out number. I am unable to hit a 60* past 70 yards (unless I blade it). 

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

36 minutes ago, Gsea said:

play with just your even irons or odds and a sw.  you will learn how to flight shots.

Gold

• Like 1

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Driver 240-245 carry

PW 118yds.

To @MonteScheinblum point; spot on.

Lots of people hit their mid-short clubs too hard and far and have minimal ability to adjust swing length to create shorter shots.   You're correct, it's prevalent with better golfers too. 

The games driver, strong lofted short/mid irons and 4 - 5 wedges are quietly having a derogatory affect on golfers when it comes to distance and trajectory control techniques.  The down side to 4-5 wedges is having one swing per wedge = 4-5 swings.  Yet, we can trust golf guarantees us in-between yardages.  Also, IMO - with the influence of technology today, too many people are focuses on hitting the ball as far as possible, as opposed to targeted distances.

When I took up the game, my role model uncle said; hit every club in your bag 10yds longer and 10yds shorter then it's stock yardage.  In other words, I have 13x3 different lengths in my bag.  My 47* PW is about 90 - 110 - 118yd club.

I had a 3rd shot yesterday on a Par 5 of 89yds, into a late afternoon breeze.  Greens were running and the Pin was in the front, 4 paces on.  Using SW the ball would have had too much spin and probably spun off the green.  I pulled PW, hit a nice 3/4 knock down shot that hit bounced once and stuck 4' and I made the birdie putt.   Boy do I love 🤩 this game.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Driver 275, PW 125

@MonteScheinblum  I have some buddies up in Jersey who need to read this thread.  They take pride in hammering their (jacked lofted) PW almost 150.  Very few of them can break 90.  And they don't see the correlation between one and the other.  

Years ago I read an interview in one of the golf magazines with a top 20 pro at that time (I forget who).  The quote that stood out was "its not how far you CAN hit that club.  Its hitting that club the same distance every time".  

Edited by hagimihale

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

6 hours ago, cardoustie said:

Golf is all about contrarians. 🙂

• Like 1

D = 250

PW = 125

10.5* Cobra LTDx Driver w/ Veylix Alpina Shaft

14.5 * Taylormade Stealth + Fairway wood w/ Veylix Rome Shaft

19.0* Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ Graphite Design Tour AD 75 shaft

4-PW Callaway Apex 21 w/ Accra steel 105g shafts

Edison Wedges w/ Accra Steel 115g shafts (49*, 54*, 59*)

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft

3 hours ago, hagimihale said:

Driver 275, PW 125

@MonteScheinblum  I have some buddies up in Jersey who need to read this thread.  They take pride in hammering their (jacked lofted) PW almost 150.  Very few of them can break 90.  And they don't see the correlation between one and the other.  

Years ago I read an interview in one of the golf magazines with a top 20 pro at that time (I forget who).  The quote that stood out was "its not how far you CAN hit that club.  Its hitting that club the same distance every time".  

I agree.  

• Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, jmkenn0 said:

275/145, but I randomly had a similar epiphany the other day.  Started hitting all my wedges with more of a 3/4 knockdown swing holding off the finish (I have a lot going on in my swing clearly) - lost about 10 yards, but just laser straight every time and very consistent distance/spin/ball flight.

Like I said in the original post, it’s not can you hit it that far, or that you are successful doing it.....it’s about being more successful with less effort.  So far, getting people to make a shorter swing on wedges and hitting them shorter, has had a 100% success rate across all skill levels.  Even those saying that they weren’t swinging hard and they’re a very good wedge player.

• Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

8 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

More like 5 to 7?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Great topic! Learning the control distance wedge over the past few years has saved me at least 1-2 strokes a round. I no longer try to hit a 135 yd PW (even though I can). Instead I take a controlled but aggressive 1/2 or 3/4 swing with my 9i with much better results. Driver carry is 260+ and most guys I play with are 230 range. I love it when they pull W into a green side bunker from 125 and I stick one all over the pin and they ask what I hit and I proudly show them my 9i. I get some confused looks,...like it just does not compute for them why I use less club even though i'm a club longer than them through the bag... Haha. 

Edited by mholmstrom
  • Like 1

DRIVER: Cobra Speedzone 10.5°  UST Elements Gold 6F4 

3-4 WOOD: Cobra King F7  14° Fujikura Pro 65S 

3 HYBRID: Titleist 910H  19° Diamana Ahina 90S 

IRONS 5-PW: Taylor Made P7-MC  Nippon  Modus  Tour 130S

GW: Titleist Vokey SM 8 F Grind  50.08 

SW: Titleist Vokey SM8 S Grind 54.10

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 S Grind 58.10 

P: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Black 

BALL: Taylor Made TP5 Pix 2.0

On 11/29/2020 at 8:20 AM, MonteScheinblum said:

First things first.

1.  How far do you hit a decent driver under normal conditions?

2.  Under normal conditions, what distance do you pull a PW from?

1. 220m on average. And I'm a longer hitter than most I play with.

2. Full swing - 100m. But I use my PW all the time. I love chipping and pitching with it.

45 minutes ago, mholmstrom said:

Great topic! Learning the control distance wedge over the past few years has saved me at least 1-2 strokes a round. I no longer try to hit a 135 yd PW (even though I can). Instead I take a controlled but aggressive 1/2 or 3/4 swing with my 9i with much better results. Driver carry is 260+ and most guys I play with are 230 range. I love it when they pull W into a green side bunker from 125 and I stick one all over the pin and they ask what I hit and I proudly show them my 9i. I get some confused looks,...like it just does not compute for them why I use less club even though i'm a club longer than them through the bag... Haha. 

Winner!!!!!!!

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, mholmstrom said:

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Winner!!!!!!!

It takes real discipline to learn to take more club and make a committed swing. The couple holes I mustered the discipline to take more club and make the compact well sequenced swing have left me very pleased with the proximity to the hole. But it’s hard to shake the habit of hitting the 125 club from 125.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x