AK in 2021

lhahn

2 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Half the golf world disliked him for the same reasons. He was interesting to watch but I still don't understand the fascination with him almost 10yrs on.

That's fair. I usually don't pay much attention to the AK sightings but as I've mentioned, the caption piqued my interest as it seemed to suggest "big things" for AK in 2021 and came from a reputable source (his long time coach).

Anyway, I'm probably making much ado about nothing. 

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

2 hours ago, cardia10 said:

Sad to say, but $10,000,000 is a drop in the bucket of his potential earnings. He quit on himself. About a year ago, he was doing insurance work, like health insurance on company conference calls. I hope he invested wisely, but him working an insurance job that soon after the end of his career screams he needs the cash.

$10m tax free (due to insurance payment) is more than a drop in the bucket, especially 10 years ago.  This is the first i've heard of him being an insurance salesman.  Where did you get that info?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

3 hours ago, J13 said:

He took that $10m invested it and is enjoying his life.  Golf on tour was a job to him (it is to many) and he got to retire early thanks to a smart investment with insurance.  Good for him 

10 mil is a drop in the bucket these days.  He could've made a hell of a lot more just on golf equipment sponsorship alone even if he never won the rest of his golf career.  He had so much game.  If I remember correctly, he shot 5 under the day we went out to Riviera CC and that's a tough course. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 hours ago, cardia10 said:

Sad to say, but $10,000,000 is a drop in the bucket of his potential earnings. He quit on himself. About a year ago, he was doing insurance work, like health insurance on company conference calls. I hope he invested wisely, but him working an insurance job that soon after the end of his career screams he needs the cash.

From 2015.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/anthony-kim-breaks-silence-exit-rumors-insurance-article-1.2380045

Kim's immediate future is a business venture with Dallas-based Quality Metrics Partners that was started with longtime friend and caddie Brodie Flanders and two others, including Mike Knall, a former punter for the Oklahoma Sooners. It provides ancillary service management in the health care industry. Kim said he made a substantial investment, which he made back within months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I understand Kim was a great player for a period of time, but why is he talked about like he's the chosen one? How many young guys have we seen get super hot and then cool off rapidly "looking at you YJS". Is it just a hype show or what am I missing that AK would be some phenom after a decade (?) off from professional golf? 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

This makes a lot more sense. @cardia10 made it sound like he was working in the call center at some health insurance company. There is a big difference between investing in an insurance company and "doing insurance work, like health insurance on company conference calls".

I know he isn't in the background as just an investor. He got his license and is on conference calls regularly with guys I play with. I'm all for him being invested in what he is doing. I never enjoyed his golf or flair. He as as likely to shoot 79 as he was 69. A bit like Daly with less talent but more mystique. For someone with his marketability, he could be making $20,000,000 in endorsements per year. He didn't bet on himself. 

Edited by cardia10

2 hours ago, DFS PFD said:

I understand Kim was a great player for a period of time, but why is he talked about like he's the chosen one? How many young guys have we seen get super hot and then cool off rapidly "looking at you YJS". Is it just a hype show or what am I missing that AK would be some phenom after a decade (?) off from professional golf? 

This short vid explains it all... 

“T-Dub, what’s up?” 😂

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

As much as it pains me, I agree with you on this one.  I played a round with AK many moons ago at Riviera CC.  Supremely talented and dedicated when he wants it bad enough.  His parents and mine are friends from back in the day.  He's a good kid, but time and age have not been kind to him. 

Sad.  I really liked him.  It seems like he liked to party but he was young with lots of money and it happens a lot to young sports stars.

I assume he has that insurance policy that is void if he plays again.   He looks thinner and leaner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I know he isn't in the background as just an investor. He got his license and is on conference calls regularly with guys I play with. I'm all for him being invested in what he is doing. I never enjoyed his golf or flair. He as as likely to shoot 79 as he was 69. A bit like Daly with less talent but more mystique. For someone with his marketability, he could be making $20,000,000 in endorsements per year. He didn't bet on himself. 

You might be right but he never came across like he loved the game and wanted to grind.  I've met him a few times and he always had a "I don't give a $%T attitude.  Maybe that helped him play well who knows.  Either way life moves on and sounds like he's into what he's doing plus he's not traveling 300 days a year which gets old real quick.  

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

55 minutes ago, Christosterone said:

To be fair, Kim dropped 11 birdies in 1 round at the masters in 09...maybe 2010

he was paired with Rory who was gobsmacked...

kim is a [golfing] tragedy...he was said to be a Tiger level talent at 21 by Mark O’Meara who knew Tiger at 21...

this praise was not an internet myth but legitimate...

that’s not to say his life is a tragedy because he didn’t attain Hall of Fame status in a sport but from a golfers standpoint, we wonder what could have been

-Chris 

He would’ve been fine with a reverse C ....

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

5 hours ago, grm24 said:

From 2015.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/anthony-kim-breaks-silence-exit-rumors-insurance-article-1.2380045

Kim's immediate future is a business venture with Dallas-based Quality Metrics Partners that was started with longtime friend and caddie Brodie Flanders and two others, including Mike Knall, a former punter for the Oklahoma Sooners. It provides ancillary service management in the health care industry. Kim said he made a substantial investment, which he made back within months.

Owning an insurance company isn’t the way you framed it initially. You made it sound like he was answering phones at the office Lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stingerfade said:

Owning an insurance company isn’t the way you framed it initially. You made it sound like he was answering phones at the office Lol

My impression is that he had cash and a name and some buddies make him do the work since he is the name. They try to sell his name. Not sure what kind of name AK has in the insurance world, but I guess a lot of those insurance guys are impressed by golfers? I 100% know he does sales calls for them. 

4 hours ago, cardia10 said:

My impression is that he had cash and a name and some buddies make him do the work since he is the name. They try to sell his name. Not sure what kind of name AK has in the insurance world, but I guess a lot of those insurance guys are impressed by golfers? I 100% know he does sales calls for them. 

AK walk in sales meeting, prospect be like,

”Anthony Kim, you da man, play a round with me and I’ll buy some insurance!”

AK say, “Uh, I’d like to but I’m not allowed to play golf”

Prospect like

D055738E-80C0-4640-A74D-36AB298FBEFF.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DFS PFD said:

Because for a while he was talked as the next big thing, and won an impressive 2.5 points in the 08 Ryder Cup as a 23 year old. He could get as hot as anybody for short periods of time, and had such a simple swing that looked poised to be repeatable for years to come. And then just as quickly as he arrived, poof, he was gone.

It's more the mystery and silence behind his disappearance for the game, and from the public in general, without answers, that fuels the interest and the speculation.

• Like 3

My bet is it has something to do with the company on the sweatshirt, Trulieve. An online marijuana dispensary that will ship to your door... Maybe he plans on opening a dispensary in AZ since they just legalized marijuana or in NV.

• Like 3

TM SIM 9* Ventus Black 6TX 
TM SIM Ti 19* Ventus Black 9TX 
TM P790 3 DG X100 

TM P7MC 4, 2014 MB 5-PW DG X7
TM MG 52, 56, Hi-Toe 60 DG S400
TM Spider Tour Black

22 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I think he got hurt and fortunately he had the big insurance policy.  The policy supposedly said "swing a club in competition and you have to pay it all back."  A blessing and a curse. 

He was fun, had a lot of flair and could play some serious golf.   He came from modest means too.  I wish him well.

2 hours ago, FakeClubPro said:

I think he got hurt and fortunately he had the big insurance policy.  The policy supposedly said "swing a club in competition and you have to pay it all back."  A blessing and a curse. 

He was fun, had a lot of flair and could play some serious golf.   He came from modest means too.  I wish him well.

I bet Callaway would pay it for him or any other OEM if he would do a long term deal. To me, that’s why I feel like he quit. 10 mil is one year of on and off course earnings for his level. He took the money and gave up. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, cardia10 said:

I bet Callaway would pay it for him or any other OEM if he would do a long term deal. To me, that’s why I feel like he quit. 10 mil is one year of on and off course earnings for his level. He took the money and gave up. 

Not everyone wants to be a tour pro. To us it’s insane but it’s true 

Edited by stingerfade

On 1/4/2021 at 1:17 PM, DFS PFD said:

That is the thing though, he never really "cooled off" so to speak. He got hot and then vanished, and things like that always leave a vacuum of interest and "what could have been" speculation. A build up without a crescendo, and made even weirder and more talked about given the complete radio silence. Whether or not the attention is deserved, I think it makes sense. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 1/4/2021 at 5:51 AM, Rangeballz said:

Interesting to see a 50 year old trying to dress like an 18 year old.......

I would of said the same thing about 20 years ago, but I'm pretty close to 50 now.  He's got on jeans, a hoody and a hat. I would wear that on any given day running to home depot or around town. No biggie. 

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

That is the thing though, he never really "cooled off" so to speak. He got hot and then vanished, 

Disagree. AK was last hot in 2008. After his 2nd win in 2008 based on actual PGA Tour results he very much did cool off. His results don't lie.

FWIW AK's last win was in Houston April 2010. Top tens the next 2 weeks at Augusta and Quail Hollow. After Quail Hollow in 2010 he was like the Road Runner falling off a cliff holding onto an Acme umbrella. His last 80 official PGA Tour events he had 1 win. Injuries were part it. Not all of it. No way around those numbers.

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, grm24 said:

Disagree. AK was last hot in 2008. After his 2nd win in 2008 based on actual PGA Tour results he very much did cool off. His results don't lie.

FWIW AK's last win was in Houston April 2010. Top tens the next 2 weeks at Augusta and Quail Hollow. After Quail Hollow in 2010 he was like the Road Runner falling off a cliff holding onto an Acme umbrella. His last 80 official PGA Tour events he had 1 win. Injuries were part it. Not all of it. No way around those numbers.

Back in the mid-Nineties, I stopped playing or following golf for about 15 years, so I missed the Anthony Kim phenomenon (and most of Tiger Woods, but that's for another day...). I watched the 2010 Masters recently on Youtube, and saw his final incredible back nine when he went birdie-birdie-eagle-birdie from 13 to 16. Hard to believe he didn't win again.

50 minutes ago, grm24 said:

The numbers do support that, you're right, I guess I was just thinking about uninjured AK and kind of giving that period an asterisk in my head. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant