Best Course for The Money You Have Played?

There is an intersection of price vs. value at any course. What course, for you, has been the best bang for the buck? What criteria did it meet?

Mine is La Purisma outside of Lompoc Ca.  Well kept, great green conditions, ony 2 adjacent fairways on the whole course, hard, hit most clubs in the bag, greens not silly to putt slope wise (10.5 - 11 stimp), Play well, shoot your handicap. Play stoopid, forget it. 4 Tee box lengths. Not a house to be seen. Golf course is on a huge plot of land.

Used to host Q school.

$50 to walk. Sometimes cheaper.

Delightful test.

Have not played any $150 course I liked better.

• Like 3
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I knot the title says best course, but as far as best experience for the money, I'd have to say playing Banff Springs in Alberta. It costs around $100 US dollars and it was just unreal the views, and

Off the top of my head I'd have to say Black Mesa in New Mexico. For $60 it was an absolute steal.       Full photo set: Black Mesa  

Pacific Grove muni for $18 twilight. Front 9 is a warm-up for the back, which has the same views as Spyglass, MPCC and Cypress. The back 9 is a really fun, playable links that is always in good condit

Posted Images

Might be taking this in a weird direction, but it was the Old Course at St Andrews for me. I don’t remember what it cost me, but something like 190 pounds, and it was by far my favorite golfing experience ever. Considering I paid 5 bills to play Pebble Beach and it wasn’t even that great (to me), and I’ve typically paid high 100s to mid 200s for course like Torrey Pines and Kiawah Ocean Course, etc. (both very good courses but not the Old Course) then that seemed well worth it to me. 

• Like 3

When I was a kid my family used to spend a week each summer on Hilton Head. Harbor Towns junior rate, at least back then, was absurdly low. I could play before 7 or after 3 for something like $50. Spent more than one day waking up early, playing golf, meeting my family at the beach, then going to play more golf. Man those were the days...

Memorial Park in Houston, for residents, is outstanding value in my mind. The course is a tour stop, is in great shape considering the volume of rounds it does (~60k per year 🤯), has plenty of strategic interest courtesy of the Doak redesign, and has some of the most fun green complexes I’ve ever played on. $30 during the week or $38 on the weekend - hard to beat that in my mind. 

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 - Diamana ZF

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* - Diamana Kai'li

Mizuno MP Titanium 18* - Diamana Kai’li | Mizuno MP H4 2 iron - True Temper DG

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Veylix Rome | Mizuno MP68 (raw) 3i - KBS Tour

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - KBS Tour

Vokey SM7 55M & 60L (raw) - KBS Tour

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid Slant

Lamkin Crossline Cord Midsize | ProV1

Cabin Creek Golf Club in Griffin, GA. In forty years of golf this was the best bunch of derelicts I've ever had the pleasure of teeing it up against. Nothing fancy, just a good course (with a story) and better golfers. There were two or three contestants who played there that were on the first couple of Big Breaks.

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3 & 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                          Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-7                           MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tournament Blade 8-P      MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 33/350gr. 1.5 Beach Prototype (A010656)

Southern Dunes in the Phx area. We go down quite a bit in the winter, and it may cost over $200 to play most of the high end courses. You can usually play Southern Dunes for like $80 and it is the best course in that area in my opinion. I always love playing it, there are no houses on the course, the range is amazing, it is never busy. Best course I have played for the money for sure when compared to other Phx area prices.

• Like 3

Driver & 3 wood: Ping G400

Hybrid: Adams

Irons (4 to 9): Ping I200

Wedges (46, 50, 56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0

Putter: Ping Anser or Myday

2 hours ago, LeftDaddy said:

Might be taking this in a weird direction, but it was the Old Course at St Andrews for me. I don’t remember what it cost me, but something like 190 pounds, and it was by far my favorite golfing experience ever. Considering I paid 5 bills to play Pebble Beach and it wasn’t even that great (to me), and I’ve typically paid high 100s to mid 200s for course like Torrey Pines and Kiawah Ocean Course, etc. (both very good courses but not the Old Course) then that seemed well worth it to me. 

I actually was going to say The Old Course as well. I agree, I think it was 330 for 2 rounds (Old and Castle when I went). Which is a hell of a deal. 

2nd answer would be Bethpage Black. 

• Like 2

Good question, Dinosaur Mtn. in Gold Canyon, AZ was amazing and only $50 or so off peak season. Another favorite was this weird little Muni called Cedar Ridge that I stumbled upon on vacation in Cedar City, Utah. No tee times, just show up, about $20 for 18. I got there right at sunrise and was the only one out there. Its right up against the red rocks and mountains, and was phenomenal. Awesome views, great condition. 

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0* 

Callaway Mavrik 15*

Mizuno JPX 900 18*

Titleist 818H2 22*

Apex Pro Raw Double Dot L 5-PW (Soon to be ZX7's)

Cleveland ZipCore Tour Rack 50,54,58

Odyssey O-Works #7

Srixon ZStar XV

1 hour ago, mikedejong33 said:

Southern Dunes in the Phx area. We go down quite a bit in the winter, and it may cost over $200 to play most of the high end courses. You can usually play Southern Dunes for like $80 and it is the best course in that area in my opinion. I always love playing it, there are no houses on the course, the range is amazing, it is never busy. Best course I have played for the money for sure when compared to other Phx area prices.

I agree , it is a very good value for a very good course. Coincidentally, Southern Dunes in Haines City Florida (no connection to Southern Dunes in Arizona) is also an excellent course that is a great value compared to other Orlando area courses. 

Southern Dunes AZ photo tour

Southern Dunes Florida photo tour

607367045_AkChinSouthernDunes4apar3165yards138.jpg.90501b99b602ca1752ea2107ad63524c.jpg

(Ak Chin) Southern Dunes (AZ) Golf Course

Southern Dunes AZ

Southern Dunes (FL) Golf Course

Southern Dunes Florida

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22RB7LV][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/4672/39286409325_4177826849_5k.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/22RB7LV]

Ak Chin Southern Dunes #4  par 3 165 yards [/url] 

Edited by sabram
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, doctorgriffo said:

Pacific Grove muni for $18 twilight. Front 9 is a warm-up for the back, which has the same views as Spyglass, MPCC and Cypress. The back 9 is a really fun, playable links that is always in good condition. 

I agree. Hence, Pacific Grove is called "poor man's Pebble Beach". I enjoyed playing there, looking at the back 9 views without breaking my wallet. 

Edited by Medson

Bethpage Black. $85 for a major championship course, for residents. 

Chuck Corica South. $45 for residents for a great track. 

M1 8.5 Diamana D+ 70 X
M2 Tour Kuro Kage 70 X
Rescue 11 18 RIP 105 X
P790 4 X100 SS
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow

Well, not counting Muirfield Village, which I've played for free 3 times 😬, I'd have to say Rustic Canyon outside of L.A. is probably the best value for the money that I have found. Wonderful course, and it's often less than 30 bucks to walk it during the week.

Ping G410 LST 9* (set to -1* Flat), 44.5", Fujikura Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x
Scratch SB-1 3-4 & 6-PW Nippon Modus3 120x or Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW Nippon Modus3 125x
Corey Paul 52*/Titleist Vokey Forged 58* K-Grind, Nippon Modus3 125 Blue Wedge shafts,  Titleist Vokey SM6 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Timberstone in Iron Mountain, MI. 

Back when Golf Digest published "Places to Play" Timberstone achieved the rarified air of the list of 5-star courses which included the usual list of Pebble, Bethpage Black, Pinehurst #2, Blackwolf Run River, Whistling Straits, etc.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, CallawayOffCenter said:

Good question, Dinosaur Mtn. in Gold Canyon, AZ was amazing and only $50 or so off peak season. Another favorite was this weird little Muni called Cedar Ridge that I stumbled upon on vacation in Cedar City, Utah. No tee times, just show up, about $20 for 18. I got there right at sunrise and was the only one out there. Its right up against the red rocks and mountains, and was phenomenal. Awesome views, great condition. 

With you on Dinosaur Mountain! Have only played it a few times and love the course. But...most of the locals are not fans and I've never understood that.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

With you on Dinosaur Mountain! Have only played it a few times and love the course. But...most of the locals are not fans and I've never understood that.

You asked why locals don't like it so I'm only saying this because you asked: It is mostly because it is an absolutely terrible golf course from a design perspective.  I mean, it has some very pretty views but other than that I can't think of anything that is even a little good about it.  The 1st and 3rd holes have two of the worst green designs I have ever seen but the whole course is a design mess.  

My answer would be Enniscrone.

6 hours ago, Austincountyag said:

I knot the title says best course, but as far as best experience for the money, I'd have to say playing Banff Springs in Alberta. It costs around $100 US dollars and it was just unreal the views, and scenery. The course was very good as well, but the overall experience was worth well over the 100 I paid for it. 

Banff Springs Golf Club - Sulphur/Tunnel in Banff, Alberta, Canada | Golf  Advisor

Fairmont Banff Springs Golf Course, Stanley Thompson #2, Banff, Canada

reckon that'll do ... 

9 hours ago, doctorgriffo said:

Pacific Grove muni for $18 twilight. Front 9 is a warm-up for the back, which has the same views as Spyglass, MPCC and Cypress. The back 9 is a really fun, playable links that is always in good condition. 

I had forgotten about Pacific Grove! Great bang for the buck, and as you said, a wonderful back 9. Five deer watching me from the bunker about 20 feet away. They did not seem a bit bothered by me, and I was delighted to be in their presence. And $18 is a bit better that the $375 for Spyglass. 🙂

10 minutes ago, GoletaGolfer said:

I had forgotten about Pacific Grove! Great bang for the buck, and as you said, a wonderful back 9. Five deer watching me from the bunker about 20 feet away. They did not seem a bit bothered by me, and I was delighted to be in their presence. And $18 is a bit better that the $375 for Spyglass. 🙂

When I lived in Pacific Grove in 1982, the "ocean 9" was actually the front nine holes.   There was no better golf for the money.   The par 5 3rd hole (now the 12th) was one of the great holes in golf.