Would you rather be....

putterboy75

I have a friend who insists on presenting himself as you'd see on the Tour, but I doubt he breaks 90 once a year. You've no doubt seen this person somewhere on your golfing journey.

It got me thinking.... would you rather look and be treated like a scratch player (we all know good players are treated better by everyone and granted unsaid privileges no matter where they go compared to players who appear newer to the game, or unfortunately even worse, women players who receive no initial respect no matter how good they are) but score far higher, OR... the opposite: look like you've recently taken up golf and have old equipment, a homemade swing, less polished appearance, etc....but shoot par?

I hope I know the answer, but am intrigued by others feelings.

3 minutes ago, bigred90gt said:

Give me the game over the looks any day. I’ll play in gym shorts and a tank top if I could play to a scratch index. 

Id prefer to play in gym shorts and a tank top. Par every day for me

Titleist TSi3 9* - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue 17* - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 10tx

Titleist TSi3 19* - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 10tx

Titleist T100•s 4-9 - True Temper Dynamic Gold X7

Titleist SM8 46F, 50F - True Temper Dynamic Gold X7

Titleist SM8 54D, 58LBK - True Temper Dynamic Gold TI X100

Scotty Cameron Champion’s Choice - Fujikura MC X-Firm
Byron Morgan 620 - Fujikura MC X-Firm

I much prefer posting low numbers. Do not care one bit what anyone is wearing or what gear they are packing.  

I'll dress nicely for a tournament or interclub event but outside of that the stuffiness annoys me.

Lowest score wins. 

Edited by Mcgeeno

There are some members at my club that wear scratch outfits even though they are 15 hcps, sometimes they'll draw a joke or two but for them dressing the part might be an important part of them enjoying the game (just like for some it's cool to say they shot 75 wearing jean shorts and a tank top "because they're not country club snobs!"). Even though I'd rather be a scratch player than look like one I wouldnt want to make fun of someone trying to express themselves in a non-offensive way. Besides if they wear it with some confidence and behave like decent people they'll be liked nonetheless.

Different issues to me. I’d love to play as well as I can. In a world where men wear sports jerseys to church , tee shirts in fine restaurants restaurants I dress nicely on the course for me not attention

• Like 1

Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

16 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I'd rather not see the "us" vs. "them" over-generalizations ---- really pointless and, as this OP demonstrates, usually way off.

Dress however you want if it is within the limits of what the course you are playing allows at either the more casual or more formal end of the spectrum.  I don't care. Play how you want, with whatever clubs you want, with whatever bag or accessories you want.

I see golfers young and old all the time "presenting themselves" as tour players in terms of nice dress, great etiquette and some play par golf and some shoot 90 or even 100 (!) and everywhere in between and who the _____ cares.  There is no "ideal" or even set "mold" of what a player looks like vs. what they shoot.

There's always the old scruffy bag, humble look, plus handicap take your lunch money thing - yes, these people exist.  And guess what? Some are super nice folks and some are complete jerks, just like . . . . all these snappy dressed folks that apparently can't break 90 and apparently annoy the OP.  

Tired of the "this annoys ME" threads - it's not the so-called "stuffy" private club/privilege people that are always blamed for golf's ills that are the problem with "golf" - it's just "people" who can't be either tolerant or welcoming.

For the record @Hawkeye77, I wasn't trying to start a "us" vs. "them" discussion, so please accept my sincere apologies if it read to you that way. Neither of these players I describe annoy me one bit. I play my game, leave the course in better condition than when I arrived, and appreciate and respect others that do too. I'm sure you're also annoyed with a lack of respect for the course (meaning any course, not just the "stuffy" private ones you mention,) a club or courses traditions, other playing partners, or the game in general. I've seen a lot of different types of golfers over the years and my post was not at all intended to read as one of annoyance, but of curiosity to learn other readers perspectives / thoughts since I've played all types of courses in a wide variety of geographies in the past few years after moving out of New York because of the pandemic. 

You might be surprised to learn that based just on looks, I'd probably one of these players blamed for "golf ills" you describe. However, as alluded to in my post, I've learned not to assume anything or any level of skill based on appearances, perhaps you could apply that approach to my question. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, putterboy75 said:

For the record @Hawkeye77, I wasn't trying to start a "us" vs. "them" discussion, so please accept my sincere apologies if it read to you that way. Neither of these players I describe annoy me one bit. I play my game, leave the course in better condition than when I arrived, and appreciate and respect others that do too. I'm sure you're also annoyed with a lack of respect for the course (meaning any course, not just the "stuffy" private ones you mention,) a club or courses traditions, other playing partners, or the game in general. I've seen a lot of different types of golfers over the years and my post was not at all intended to read as one of annoyance, but of curiosity to learn other readers perspectives / thoughts since I've played all types of courses in a wide variety of geographies in the past few years after moving out of New York because of the pandemic. 

You might be surprised to learn that based just on looks, I'd probably one of these players blamed for "golf ills" you describe. However, as alluded to in my post, I've learned not to assume anything or any level of skill based on appearances, perhaps you could apply that approach to my question. 

Your point wasn't misunderstood - so called good players get all sorts of unspoken privileges, women are treated with no respect but you are sticking to your view of the system a little bit/swimming against the tide if you are a little homespun and shoot really low.  I don't see the dichotomy, but I do see perpetuating it as selling most people I know that play golf really short. I still don't know what a scratch player looks like.  

Fair point - if your real outlook doesn't match the stated hypothesis, good for you.  Heck, I'm liking you post because you are one of the few on the Internet who can use the word "alluded" properly instead of "eluded" - should be able to wear dungarees or Sansabelts and get English correct! 

• Like 2

Countdown to The Masters has begun!

I agree with Hawkeye , i don't see this as really being an issue or a much of a thing to debate. There's nothing wrong with looking nice, it would be like telling an entry level worker not to wear a nice suit. Remember "dress for the job you want" and all that. It's OK for 90's shooters to look good on the course.

I also don't really know what special privileges scratch golfers get, other than guys wanting to play with them to see someone shoot a low score...This is understandable, if i had a friend who was a great basketball player, i'd rather watch him throw down some dunks than some jabroni who can't touch the rim LOL

But it's not like i get free drinks in the clubhouse because i shot 72

Callaway Mavrik 9 w/Aldila Rogue White 60 MSI130

Callaway Mavrik SZ 13 w/Aldila Rogue White 70 MSI130

Callaway Apex 2019 Hybrid w/PX Catalyst 70

PXG 0211 ST 4-GW w/ TT Elevate Tour

PXG 0311 Forged 54 and 60 w/TT Elevate Tour

Putter under NDA--I CANT SAY

1. would you rather look and be treated like a scratch player but score far higher?

2. OR...look like you've recently taken up golf and have old equipment, a homemade swing, less polished appearance, etc....but shoot par?

Re: (2) Questions

I have been playing golf for a long time and can honestly state I have never contemplated any sort of correlation between "a look" and scoring.   

I'm guessing image is important to the OP.   Possibly some issues fitting in at work or school - perhaps moved a lot as a kid.

And, OP - if your friend is a phony, why do you call him a friend?

• Like 1

Obviously the most important thing to to look the part, full on golf uniform(and yes it exists)-clean, well kept conservatively coloured polo shirt, neatly pressed pants(preferably khaki), saddle or wingtip shoes(spikeless not permitted) and a baseball style hat that is very clean. You should not be allowed on a course without wearing this.

Ping G410 Plus 12°/Xcaliber SL55, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 HyWay 21°/Xcaliber SL r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby TSW 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I am scratch and have no idea what you are talking about. 

Most of my playing partners want to see me crumble and have the worst day of my life hahahaha. 

I say dress and look however you want. A lot of good golfers I know dress like bums and do not care. Money spent on playing, not looking the part. 

• Like 1

Give me the game, I hate dress codes.  If the course doesn't have one I'm in athletic wear 100% of the time. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

I dress for comfort and most golf gear these days is super comfortable so that's what I wear. I don't care what others at the course think of me I'm dressing for me and if I could shoot par and wear a tank top, athletic shorts and golf shoes I would. 

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Trad II - Lajosi Sensor - Kingdom Putter - - and more. 

WITB Thread

Well, I basically already am the under-polished guy who shoots par, so I'll just stick with that.

And for the record, real players can spot that 15 cap poser from a mile away.  Game recognizes game.

• Like 1

TaylorMade R11 TP (8°) - Fujikura Blur TP 65X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper DynaGold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper DynaGold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper DynaGold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

The only time I really ever see anyone's game match up to the way they dress on the golf course is typically when I am the guest at a local country club and that is because to them buying Peter Millar apparel takes the same hit (or less) out of their wallet as me buying clearance Callaway clothes from Ross.   Pretty much every guy at the muni that looks the part of a tour pro from the clothes down to the latest and greatest clubs couldn't break 90 from the middle tees but insist on playing blues or tips.  

Edited by PhilsFanDrew

I basically wear "golf clothes" all the time anyway.  Wear polos and slacks most days to work.  When I am not at work I wear polos and shorts unless I am doing yard work or something like that.

If I am feeling casual is more appropriate I will wear the polo untucked.

So give me my definition of casual and the scratch golf game.  It would be nice to have the capability to play on any course in the world and pretty well know you are going to keep it in the 70's.  On a really tough track or bad day shoot 82.  Yeah, that don't sound too bad to me.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 7:42 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

Your point wasn't misunderstood - so called good players get all sorts of unspoken privileges, women are treated with no respect but you are sticking to your view of the system a little bit/swimming against the tide if you are a little homespun and shoot really low.  I don't see the dichotomy, but I do see perpetuating it as selling most people I know that play golf really short. I still don't know what a scratch player looks like.  

Fair point - if your real outlook doesn't match the stated hypothesis, good for you.  Heck, I'm liking you post because you are one of the few on the Internet who can use the word "alluded" properly instead of "eluded" - should be able to wear dungarees or Sansabelts and get English correct! 

Agree 100% with what you said in the 1st paragraph. I can see how it reads with an annoying tone towards the two types of players I described by just asking the question (wasn't my intention, I didn't really think much of it other than I wonder what people will say?) I could have made my casual intrigue a little clearer but I do admit that playing as a junior golfer I look back and see that I assumed lots of things that turned out to be very wrong. Finally I figured out that making these types of assumptions was not a good way to go about life and golfing and thankfully I didn't get in too much trouble before I did. As everyone that chimed in says, appearance and skill are not very correlated to each other.

To your point about a lack of respect towards women, I see it all the time now because I play most rounds with my fiance. She's rarely given the time of day by most other players and sometimes the golf staff seem perplexed that she's playing at all. I love seeing their looks of amazement when she hits it out there 250 down the middle on the first hole, but she still goes into every round with something to prove.

Good golfers (I suppose everyone defines that differently) have found what works for them and "own" their game so to speak. The journey to getting "good" is why we all keep playing but I can only define that for myself... which brings to mind a great golfing (and life) phrase "different strokes for different folks" - I do appreciate you prompting me to think about this a little differently than I first intended.

• Like 2