Kevin Na vs WRX

chisag

From GOLF Magazine:

"If you’re good enough to own a PGA Tour card, then you possess the chops to handle a traditional blade iron. That’s the general assumption from weekend golfers when it comes to the best in the world. Surely everyone is playing the smallest iron profile available. Except not everyone wants to use a tiny blade that lacks any semblance of offset.

During a recent chat on GOLF’s Fully Equipped podcast, Callaway staffer Kevin Na he admitted blade irons aren’t his cup of tea. You read that right: a 4-time PGA Tour winner is openly championing for forgiving cavity-back irons. “I can’t play a blade,” said Na. “It’s too difficult, and I’m a pro golfer. I think a blade goes shorter. Off-center hits aren’t going to perform as well as cavity-backs. I don’t see a reason why you’d want to play a blade. I really don’t. I played blades in my early 20s, maybe one year — when I was dumb. But I’m wiser now and play a cavity-back.”

Na’s iron of choice is Callaway’s Apex Pro 16, but with the goal of embracing the perfect blend of workability and forgiveness that most better-player irons possess, he opted for a slightly larger Rogue Pro 4-iron at the top of the set. “In the longer irons, I even look for more — I don’t want to say a high-handicapper club — a more forgiving club,” Na said.

What can be learned from Na’s advice? If you’re a strong mid-handicapper with aspirations of breaking 80 for the first time, don’t think the route to a better game requires you to play a smaller iron profile when the handicap drops. Instead, embrace Na’s philosophy and play an iron that blends forgiveness with a better-play iron profile. Callaway’s Apex Pro is a perfect example. Bottom line: You don’t need to play a blade to feel like a single-digit stick."

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

... Is this true? If so, I will delete it. I just thought it was an interesting perspective from a Tour Player.

• Like 2

I think so too, but majority rule. Many of our members dont like bad things being said about blades so this will probably get locked

Meanwhile there are multiple threads where people say game improvement clubs dont help at all and those will remain open

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Why?

Why are you in?

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I will say this, I know when I miss hit the ball - I’m a decent player that shoots anywhere from low to high 70s the majority of my rounds - but during quarantine and messing using my personal launch monitor it is becoming evident to me that even what feel like very good strikes with anything above a 6 iron are very penal with my blades. My 6 iron is 180-185 carry and even the tiniest miss strikes with 4 or 5 iron will drop back to that to that distance. I believe a lot of the blade forgiveness perpetuation on here is due to either vanity HCers or those that are just so inconsistent that it probably doesn’t matter what they have in their hands. For someone that can hit it solid over and over it off of a perfect mat lie it is evident how much of a difference minor imperfections of strike can affect carry with those long irons.

IBTL

Of course, while Na is a good professional golfer, he isn't a high CHS player. The higher the club head speed, the more likely a blade will be required. The high VCoG keeps the ball flight lower and manageable. Na does not have that issue. He is a tour winner because he is a short game savant.

• Like 3

HELLO???https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1822571/pga-tour-winner-kevin-na-says-i-cant-play-blades-so-why-are-you.

• Like 2

DRIVERS:  COBRA DARKSPEED LS Tour Length9*, Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 60s // Standard length: Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s;  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR:  10.5*, Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Exactly why I have a 5 hybrid in my bag. Even with the PXG 5 iron I notice that off center hits loose some distance and I feel that the 5 hybrid gives me a slight advantage over the 5 iron. LOL several years ago I tried to play some Hogan blades and soon realized that I suck at hitting the center of the face every time and all the blades ended up doing was making me tighten up and try to swing harder. The one advantage I saw with the blades was that they did not seem to hot spots or whatever where the ball goes 10 yards over the green every now and then like game improvement irons seem to do. Instead I was 10 or 20 yards short on a large percentage of shots due to off center hits. The PXGs seem to have less of this hot spot problem so I am pretty happy with my set makeup at the moment. I definitely want as much off center hit forgiveness as possible!

... I just received the GOLF email this afternoon and checked todays posts and didn't see anything. Had I seen that thread, obviously I would not have posted it. My bad, Mods can lock or delete.

That's a curious take on it. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

If you have not figured it out already, golf is all about playing the equipment that suits you, the game that suits you and really playing your own game. The thing I like about Kevin Na is that he seems a bit cocky and can hold his own as seen when watching him on television. That being said, most tour pros end up playing a combo set anyways and rarely do I see to many blade players. Even pros need a edge to make the game that much more easier to reproduce. Lesson here is play what works.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Glad to see everybody’s in, LOL

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

I'm rarely the conspiracy theorist, but the first Na thread got shut down immediately and at one point we had 16 different blade threads open in the equipment section, many of them saying things like GI irons are all marketing BS.

Why is that allowed but we cant discuss a pros comments on blades?

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My Favorite Kevin Na moment Tiger Woods and Kevin Na laugh on No. 17 at THE PLAYERSI got no opinion on Na's clubs -I haven't won a tour event yet LOL!

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Hi I'm not too bright SO

Loving my MP100's

pw 9 8 7 6 then mp63 5 4

Just the Best Irons I have ever bought while a member here...as Bugs Bunny says

That's All Folks

Say calm,well,in the fairway!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

The debate of blade vs cavity back I think the reality is somewhere in between.

There are some amateur golfers out there that can handle a playing blades. And I think there are a lot of golfers out there that could score better and a lot more consistently if they played a cavity back, but they enjoy the challenge of playing a blade. Why should anyone else to tell them how to enjoy their game. This is the same reason I think it is short sighted for some of the "pro blade" population that thinks everyone should play blades, or that everybody should play "retro" lofts. Who are they to tell anyone else how to enjoy the game.

If someone says to me "I hate the look of cavity back clubs, and I love the look of blades, so that is why I play blades", I personally think that's awesome and it's great that you play something that helps your enjoyment of the game. But if someone tells me they play blades and to justify it to themselves they start to spew the nonsense and myth that cavity back clubs have hot spots, then that just tells me that they are not nearly the ball striker that they think they are, and maybe they should be playing cavity backs. Because I guarantee that anyone who swears that cavity back clubs have hot spots, if you watched them during a round of golf with blades, they will come up short a lot more often than they would go long with cavity back clubs. Anyone who has the skill to pure a blade consistently, should have the skill to pure a cavity back even more consistently.

What I have seen over the years is that a great short game trumps everything else. If you have a great short game from 60 yards in, and are a decent putter, there may not be a lot of difference in scoring between blades and cavity backs. However if you do not have a good short game, but are a good putter, then hitting a few more greens in regulation can shave quite a few strokes during a round, so cavity backs should have a significant advantage for this style of player.

Me personally I love the look of blades, and my ball striking is good enough to get by with blades. But if I am honest with myself, on average I will score slightly better with cavity backs. And for me the lower score matters more than how my club looks or sounds.

• Like 1

One of posters above has it right. Na is a great player, skilled short game and can get hot with the putter, but he’s not a power player. The irons he likes help give him a little more pop across the face, a little more margin for error. Just because he’s a Tour player doesn’t mean no one below that level should play blades. It helps him get the most out of his game at a level at which he needs everything to hang with these guys

Most amateur players I see who are rockin blades aren’t being held back by them, it’s other parts of their games. Seen plenty of very solid iron strikers who get wild off the tee or can’t putt at all or hit pitches close. In fact, their iron play is what keeps them in the round.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Jason Day, Matthew Wolff, Bubba Watson, Ryan Palmer, Kokrak and many other long hitters using cavities. I own blades and CBs. I’m not super long but as I said I hold I own with 185 carry on my bladed 6 iron. I do think CBs protect on miss hits.

I don’t take any offense to Na’s remarks, they are certainly applicable to a certain % of golfers out there. It’s just an opinion, not sure why this topic of blades breaks out into a Holy War so often. We all have our preferences, just respect other’s choices. This is an individual sport, if blades are beneficial or detrimental to a player’s game he/she is the only one who it really matters to.