Kevin Na vs WRX

chisag ·  
chisagchisag Chicago SuburbsMembers  3374WRX Points: 801Handicap: +0.3Posts: 3,374 Titanium Tees

From GOLF Magazine:

"If you’re good enough to own a PGA Tour card, then you possess the chops to handle a traditional blade iron. That’s the general assumption from weekend golfers when it comes to the best in the world. Surely everyone is playing the smallest iron profile available. Except not everyone wants to use a tiny blade that lacks any semblance of offset.

During a recent chat on GOLF’s Fully Equipped podcastCallaway staffer Kevin Na he admitted blade irons aren’t his cup of tea. You read that right: a 4-time PGA Tour winner is openly championing for forgiving cavity-back irons. “I can’t play a blade,” said Na. “It’s too difficult, and I’m a pro golfer. I think a blade goes shorter. Off-center hits aren’t going to perform as well as cavity-backs. I don’t see a reason why you’d want to play a blade. I really don’t. I played blades in my early 20s, maybe one year — when I was dumb. But I’m wiser now and play a cavity-back.”

Na’s iron of choice is Callaway’s Apex Pro 16, but with the goal of embracing the perfect blend of workability and forgiveness that most better-player irons possess, he opted for a slightly larger Rogue Pro 4-iron at the top of the set. “In the longer irons, I even look for more — I don’t want to say a high-handicapper club — a more forgiving club,” Na said.

What can be learned from Na’s advice? If you’re a strong mid-handicapper with aspirations of breaking 80 for the first time, don’t think the route to a better game requires you to play a smaller iron profile when the handicap drops. Instead, embrace Na’s philosophy and play an iron that blends forgiveness with a better-play iron profile. Callaway’s Apex Pro is a perfect example. Bottom line: You don’t need to play a blade to feel like a single-digit stick."

Posted:
Cobra Xtreme 9* Tour Length ... Tensei Orange 65s
Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
Cobra SZ 17* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
TaylorMade GAPR Mid ... KBS 80Hys
TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90Hys
4-pw TaylorMade P790/760 ... Steelfiber 95's/Recoil Prototype 95's
SM6 52* F Grind /SM8 M Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Jeff58Jeff58 Bend OregonMembers  297WRX Points: 183Posts: 297 Greens

Look at the second page. We’re not allowed to talk about this any more since it has to do with ‘blades’.

Posted:
  • chisagchisag Chicago SuburbsMembers  3374WRX Points: 801Handicap: +0.3Posts: 3,374 Titanium Tees

... Is this true? If so, I will delete it. I just thought it was an interesting perspective from a Tour Player.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • mukstermukster A lot can happen in a year. North of the 49thMembers  3727WRX Points: 484Posts: 3,727 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic 3 Wood , Fubuki Z65 shaft
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood,  Tensei CK Blue shaft
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons
    , KBS Tour V shafts
    Srixon A wedge 51° bent to 50°
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers  5472WRX Points: 508Handicap: 6Posts: 5,472 Titanium Tees

Personally, I know and golf with single digit hc's,

And I don't recall anyone of them that gave a

thought about what type of iron, blade or cb

that any of us use at any given time.

Posted:

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2588WRX Points: 1,634Handicap: 5Posts: 2,588 Titanium Tees

I will say this, I know when I miss hit the ball - I’m a decent player that shoots anywhere from low to high 70s the majority of my rounds - but during quarantine and messing using my personal launch monitor it is becoming evident to me that even what feel like very good strikes with anything above a 6 iron are very penal with my blades. My 6 iron is 180-185 carry and even the tiniest miss strikes with 4 or 5 iron will drop back to that to that distance. I believe a lot of the blade forgiveness perpetuation on here is due to either vanity HCers or those that are just so inconsistent that it probably doesn’t matter what they have in their hands. For someone that can hit it solid over and over it off of a perfect mat lie it is evident how much of a difference minor imperfections of strike can affect carry with those long irons.

Posted:
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX  2478WRX Points: 1,452Handicap: +1.7Posts: 2,478 ClubWRX

IBTL

Of course, while Na is a good professional golfer, he isn't a high CHS player. The higher the club head speed, the more likely a blade will be required. The high VCoG keeps the ball flight lower and manageable. Na does not have that issue. He is a tour winner because he is a short game savant.

Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 8° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Jim Kronus JK-1 Custom Grind 54/06 w/DG S200
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Snell MTB-X in yellow
  • BirdieBobBirdieBob Member of the 1 iron Club! Members  4662WRX Points: 532Posts: 4,662 Titanium Tees
    Posted:

TITLEIST TS4 Driver, 9.5*, JDM Limited Edition 2016 Basileus AAA, 69g X
    CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X/Ventus Black w/velocore, 65g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ Wood, 13.5*, Ventus Black w/velocore, 78g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5, 80g X
    CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 5 Wood, 18*, Accra TZ6/M5, 90g X
    TAYLORMADE P-7TW, 3 - P, TW Lofts, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    PXG GEN2 0311X Black, #4 DI, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    PXG GEN3 0311T, 4 - P, DG AMT Tour White, x100
    PXG GEN3 0311 MILLED SUGAR DADDY, 50/10, DG AMT TOUR WHITE, x100
    VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 54/10F; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX
    BETTINARDI 20 Limited Edition Queen B #5 Black Series Putter, w/QB Black HC
    SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Carbon CircleT HC
    NIKE Sport Lite Carry Bag, Black
    SUN MOUNTAIN 20 Tour Series Bag, Black
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Black
    GARMIN Approach Z82, GPS/Rangefinder
    GROOVEIT Wet Brush

Advertisement
  • DMartiniDMartini at home on the rangeMembers  117WRX Points: 60Posts: 117 Fairways

nice, i see he uses Apex Pro '16, my fave set of sticks also.

oh and, in before the lock

Posted:

⟻ gamer set ⟼

Ping G 9° ✦ Ping G 22° ✦ X-Forged UT 18° ﹢ 21° ✦ Apex Pro '16 4-AW ✦ Callaway PM Grind 2.0 56° ✦ Callaway MD5 Jaws 58° ✦ Ping Cadence TR

⟻ practice/backup set ⟼

Ping G 9° ✦ Ping G 22° ✦ Apex UT 18° ﹢ 21° ✦ Apex Pro '19 4-AW ✦ Callaway PM Grind 1.0 56° ﹢ 58° ✦ Ping Cadence TR

• Nels55Nels55 Members  333WRX Points: 154Handicap: 9Posts: 333 Greens

Exactly why I have a 5 hybrid in my bag. Even with the PXG 5 iron I notice that off center hits loose some distance and I feel that the 5 hybrid gives me a slight advantage over the 5 iron. LOL several years ago I tried to play some Hogan blades and soon realized that I suck at hitting the center of the face every time and all the blades ended up doing was making me tighten up and try to swing harder. The one advantage I saw with the blades was that they did not seem to hot spots or whatever where the ball goes 10 yards over the green every now and then like game improvement irons seem to do. Instead I was 10 or 20 yards short on a large percentage of shots due to off center hits. The PXGs seem to have less of this hot spot problem so I am pretty happy with my set makeup at the moment. I definitely want as much off center hit forgiveness as possible!

Posted:

Driver Mizuno ST190 9.5* / Paderson Ballistic KG70-D40. Hybrids: 3 and 4 Rogue / Steelfiber HLS980. Irons 5 through Wedge PXG 0311 / Steelfiber i110. Wedges 50*, 56*, 62* MacDaddy 4 / Steelfiber i110.

• chisagchisag Chicago SuburbsMembers  3374WRX Points: 801Handicap: +0.3Posts: 3,374 Titanium Tees

... I just received the GOLF email this afternoon and checked todays posts and didn't see anything. Had I seen that thread, obviously I would not have posted it. My bad, Mods can lock or delete.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7299WRX Points: 1,360Handicap: 7Posts: 7,299 Titanium Tees
    Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.5"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.5"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer San Jose, CaClubWRX  3705WRX Points: 234Handicap: 4.1Posts: 3,705 ClubWRX

If you have not figured it out already, golf is all about playing the equipment that suits you, the game that suits you and really playing your own game. The thing I like about Kevin Na is that he seems a bit cocky and can hold his own as seen when watching him on television. That being said, most tour pros end up playing a combo set anyways and rarely do I see to many blade players. Even pros need a edge to make the game that much more easier to reproduce. Lesson here is play what works.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic SZ 9* Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Callaway Epic SZ 14* Hazardous Smoke 6.5
    Callaway Subzero 18 Accra M5
    Callaway 3 iron Epic pro C taper 110
    Callaway 4 iron Epic pro C taper 110
    Callaway Apex Mb 5-PW 2016 C taper 110
    Callaway MD4 52/58  C taper 110
    Titleist Fast back
    Taylormade Tourpreffered X
  • mukstermukster A lot can happen in a year. North of the 49thMembers  3727WRX Points: 484Posts: 3,727 Titanium Tees

Glad to see everybody’s in, LOL

Posted:
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic 3 Wood , Fubuki Z65 shaft
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood,  Tensei CK Blue shaft
    Cobra F8 22* hybrid
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons
    , KBS Tour V shafts
    Srixon A wedge 51° bent to 50°
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter

Advertisement
  • FuscinatorFuscinator Members  462WRX Points: 273Posts: 462 Greens

If Mo Martin doesn't play a 4iron, what's Kevin Na playing one for? (She, at least, won a British Open.)

Posted:
  • dcfasdcfas Capital Region, NY Members  1041WRX Points: 192Posts: 1,041 Platinum Tees

He plays what works for him. I play what works for me. Not all pros play blades, obviously. I recall years ago when someone pointed out Jim Furyk was using a gi club. It’s not something most people expect from a pro.

Posted:

Mixed bag includes TM, Mizuno, Ping, Cleveland, and Guerin Rife.

• sailfishchrissailfishchris Long Island NYMembers, ClubWRX  1103WRX Points: 291Handicap: 4Posts: 1,103 Platinum Tees

My Favorite Kevin Na moment

I got no opinion on Na's clubs -I haven't won a tour event yet LOL!

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW Proto
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Orange 80 TX
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Super Peening Blue X
    Vokey SM6 raw 52, 56, 60 DGTI-s400
    Byron Morgan Proto DH89
    TPX5
    Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
    Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers  2855WRX Points: 286Posts: 2,855 Titanium Tees

Hi I'm not too bright SO

Loving my MP100's

pw 9 8 7 6 then mp63 5 4

Just the Best Irons I have ever bought while a member here...as Bugs Bunny says

That's All Folks

Say calm,well,in the fairway!

Posted:
    2020  31st May all Well🙂

Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
    Cleveland Launcher FL 3wd
    with 60gram PLPlatinum
    Titleist 904F 7wd steelshaft

MP100=33  pw 98765

54 SM Vokey 2006
    60 RTX2
    ProPlatinumMidSLT

17May back at Range
    re learning to hit a ball again
    rusty but accurate.

Advertisement
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2588WRX Points: 1,634Handicap: 5Posts: 2,588 Titanium Tees

Jason Day, Matthew Wolff, Bubba Watson, Ryan Palmer, Kokrak and many other long hitters using cavities. I own blades and CBs. I’m not super long but as I said I hold I own with 185 carry on my bladed 6 iron. I do think CBs protect on miss hits.

Posted:
  • sfong33sfong33 Members  74WRX Points: 79Posts: 74 Bunkers

I don’t take any offense to Na’s remarks, they are certainly applicable to a certain % of golfers out there. It’s just an opinion, not sure why this topic of blades breaks out into a Holy War so often. We all have our preferences, just respect other’s choices. This is an individual sport, if blades are beneficial or detrimental to a player’s game he/she is the only one who it really matters to.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers  12576WRX Points: 1,581Handicap: 3.2Posts: 12,576 Titanium Tees

For some reason the mods don’t like us bickering about some subjects more than others. But your claim that “Most amateur players I see who are rockin blades aren’t being held back by them” is likely not true. They may not be held back significantly but if the guy sitting at 29th in the all time money list realizes he is aided by some more forgiveness in irons it is more than likely the amateur would be as well. Na gets paid by the stroke. If the amateur gets more enjoyment playing blades than shooting the best possible score so be it. But it is unlikely he scores as well on average.

Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.