2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Matthew Fitzpatrick whines about BDC...

manku

1 hour ago, tungstenplug said:

His height has nothing to do with his driving distance. I was commenting on his poor mental approach

I was commenting on your comment on his frame and how he couldn’t add mass and hit it harder.   I simply said Rory has done it.  And I’m certain his frame is smaller than Fitzpatricks.   

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, Troutfly said:

Blade is on the money..but I don't think he takes B in the 40.😄

I’m old now.  In a land far far away I’d take all the side action on that I could get 😂

Edited by bladehunter

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Muscle is way over rated for golf

I was an olympic style lifter in college and my coach held the US press record in his class ( standing press - not bench)

He was a decent golfer and we often played together- I was not nearly as strong but at least a club longer in persimmon days

I am 6 inches taller and that gave me a bigger advantage than pure strength

• Like 1

"It’s not a skill to hit the ball a long way in my opinion,” Fitzpatrick told reporters. “I could put on 40 pounds. I could go and see a bio-mechanist and I could gain 40 yards; that’s actually a fact."

The "I could if I wanted to" statement has always been a red rag to a bull to me. "I could have got an A on that test if I wanted to". "I could have run that race in <awesome time> if I wanted to". "I could hit it 40 yards further if I wanted to". FFS, either you're too lazy to do what you "could" do or full of BS or both.

• Like 3

I always love the “Dude would be as good if he didn’t have [important part of the game]” thing.  Shaq could barely hit the backboard from outside 10 feet, and rec leagues are full of 5’9” dudes who can rain threes but couldn’t make a DII roster.  Saying BAD wouldn’t be as good without the length is as silly as saying Shaq wouldn’t have been as good if he was only 5’9”.  It’s a tautology, like saying someone wouldn’t be good if they weren’t good.

Here, however, it goes one step further.  We have a guy (Fitz) who (1) fully recognizes the advantage length gives a player, (2) says he can do it if he wants, and (3) declines to do so.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I was commenting on your comment on his frame and how he couldn’t add mass and hit it harder.   I simply said Rory has done it.  And I’m certain his frame is smaller than Fitzpatricks.   

Sorry to interrupt again...but, what?

Rory has always been long. Added mass never caused him to become long.

Rory #12 in driving distance in 2010 at 300 yards. Rory #5 in driving distance in 2012 at 310.1 yards.

Also, tungstenplug said, "Under no circumstance could he put on 40lbs of mucle/fat and still be good at golf. "

He never said Fitzpatrick could not "add mass and hit harder". Reading comprehension my friend.

Sounds like jealousy to me. Everything Bryson has done is within the rules of the game. He put weight on himself, he plays clubs that are allowed, and takes a scientific approach to the game. So whats the issue. I think Fitzpatrick is mad that Bryson actually thought outside the box and is successful. To say that length is everything, but he can also make shots into the green and putt well enough to win. The thing about golf that is great is that you can get to the hole using any of the 14 clubs in your bag. Bryson has utilized his power and driver to narrow that down to about a 9 iron in. How much easier is that to get closer to the hole. So other players are now having to think outside the box and hit a longer ball. Cant mess with the ball, restrictions on the clubs. Figure it out. Looks like Bryson is starting to. 

Edited by llewol007
  • Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Fitzpatrick was on the earn your edge podcast the other week expanding on this - its not sour grapes, its just how he sees the game and what he wants to do to get better.

In the pod he says that he is more comfortable being 40 yards further out in the fairway than in the rough, so for him getting much longer and less accurate wouldnt help his game

The Luke Donald 2.0 comments are pretty spot on but also slightly flawed - Luke made it to no1 while being 'shorter' than his peers. The difference was at that time the 'long guys' still strived to hit more fairways than they do now.

Also - taking clickbait commnents from yahoo is never the whole story

• Thanks 1

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

13 hours ago, tungstenplug said:

Matt Fitzpatrick is 5'8" 155lbs. He is physically small compared to other men. Under no circumstance could he put on 40lbs of mucle/fat and still be good at golf. He doesn't have the frame or the work ethic. He is Luke Donald 2.0, an elite short game will bring him plenty of earnings in pro golf but he won't reach the upper echelon in terms of wins and career status

His comments were made out of jealousy for another man who is better than him. He wishes he could be like Bryson

There's a picture I'm struggling to find (though might have been a brief television still), but it was of MF standing between Rose and Stenson at the Ryder Cup back in 16. It looked like two dads out on a trip with their son, MF was that small in comparison

Disagree with Fitzpatrick. I don’t love Bryson’s game, but I da*n well respect what he has achieved. No way the body can hold up at that speed, so he’s striking a Faustian deal, though. The question is for how long can he dominate? Time will tell, as it always does. In the meantime there will be others to challenge, as always. I do expect the golfing bodies will try to address the situation. It will be interesting when the rulings come down the pike. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

As expected, most people piling on to Fitzpatrick with comparisons about baseball, basketball and other sports. But unlike those sports, golf is not played on a standard layout, and the implied issue here is really that the design of some modern Tour courses provide an undue advantage to BdC. The debate is not really whether BdC should be able to hit the ball as far as he likes - of course he should, but whether the design of courses should play into his hands. Some of the current courses reward bombers, and players like Graeme McDowell or Zach Johnson are going to struggle on them. Others reward accuracy more, but there are fewer of those. The traditional fix for power players overpowering a course has been that the longer you are, the straighter you have to be. It would have been interesting to see him in The Open Championship, which tends to offer opportunities to players of all length and a tidy short but straight player can win, but so can a bomber but he must keep it on the course.

Edited by mjtoal
  • Like 1

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

15 hours ago, tw_focus said:

If you want to hate on him, do it because of the fire ant situation, the "brand" situation, maybe because he's from Fresno? Don't hate him because he's good at golf because he's really not.

As a guy who went to high school in Bakersfield, this made me laugh!

Edited by the bishop

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

16 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I mostly agree. But it’s not entirely true the last part.  Plenty of us hate pro football and basketball and much prefer the purer games of college football and basketball.  I love both of those sports.  But despise those pro games since around 2000.   

College football and basketball are pro sports. The only difference between them and the pro leagues is who gets paid.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

13 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

College football and basketball are pro sports. The only difference between them and the pro leagues is who gets paid.

Are you saying good college players don't get paid Bad?😏

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

🤫

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

2 hours ago, Bad9 said:

If you watch both you’ll see the difference Im speaking of.  

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

9 hours ago, straightshot7 said:

Sorry to interrupt again...but, what?

Rory has always been long. Added mass never caused him to become long.

Rory #12 in driving distance in 2010 at 300 yards. Rory #5 in driving distance in 2012 at 310.1 yards.

Also, tungstenplug said, "Under no circumstance could he put on 40lbs of mucle/fat and still be good at golf. "

He never said Fitzpatrick could not "add mass and hit harder". Reading comprehension my friend.

So what added the 10 average yards ???  Answer - all the workouts we saw him do on video.   He was a smaller pudgy guy.  He works that into more mass and muscle. Gains yards.   

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

20 hours ago, mahonie said:

You have to give BCD a lot of credit for figuring out how to maximise performance with the tools and courses presented to him. I think I saw he was averaging 352 yards yesterday...amazing. I saw a tee shot with an iron that carried 271 yards!!!

The question is, would he have had the same approach with clubs with steel shafts and heads the size of the old persimmon drivers and balls with the spin profile of the old balata balls? The characteristics of modern equipment allow that swing for the fences approach that was never possible before. In essence, the core principles embedded in the rules of the game to test all aspects of play have been shattered, and for this I can understand Fitzpatrick’s stance...it is making a mockery of the game.

The USGA/R&A let the genie out of the bottle when they failed to put in place appropriate equipment limits which most sports have had to do to keep them relevant. There will be some restrictions put in place in order to get golf back to its very essence...I think BCD may just be accelerating the programme. Augusta will be very interesting.

I agree.  Matt should be directing this angst at the R&A not BDC.  

3 hours ago, mjtoal said:

As expected, most people piling on to Fitzpatrick with comparisons about baseball, basketball and other sports. But unlike those sports, golf is not played on a standard layout, and the implied issue here is really that the design of some modern Tour courses provide an undue advantage to BdC. The debate is not really whether BdC should be able to hit the ball as far as he likes - of course he should, but whether the design of courses should play into his hands. Some of the current courses reward bombers, and players like Graeme McDowell or Zach Johnson are going to struggle on them. Others reward accuracy more, but there are fewer of those. The traditional fix for power players overpowering a course has been that the longer you are, the straighter you have to be. It would have been interesting to see him in The Open Championship, which tends to offer opportunities to players of all length and a tidy short but straight player can win, but so can a bomber but he must keep it on the course.

He should have emphasized layouts in his comments.

Then again, he points out that US Open was very tight...

“But in the U.S. Open at Winged Foot, fair play to Bryson, he won and shot six under. But the fairways were tight as hell. I drove it brilliantly and actually played pretty well [despite missing the cut by one stroke], but I was miles behind. He’s in the rough and miles up and he’s hitting wedges from everywhere. It just makes a bit of a mockery of the game”

So, I read it as a bit of frustration at his own lack of length. But there is a point of balance in rewarding length but not too much at the expense of accuracy.

Yesterday, BD went out in 38. He was wild off the tee and the high numbers piled up fast...

B4C1BA63-CF62-4CDF-BB38-5E5268C2513E.jpeg

55 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

So what added the 10 average yards ???  Answer - all the workouts we saw him do on video.   He was a smaller pudgy guy.  He works that into more mass and muscle. Gains yards.   

From 2010 to 2012, the ball got longer and the driver got hotter.  Bingo.

Also, the average PGA Tour driving distance increased from 288 to 292 in those two years, so it might have been due to drier conditions - more run on the ball.

Edited by gvogel
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Matt is a tool. A few of his fellow countrymen are tools too, including Cam smith having his 10 seconds of fame after sounding off on Reed last year for the bunker debacle and Matt making a dig for Bryson being able to go yard is literally hilarious.

Greater length also means great ability to mess up. Dispersion grows the longer you hit.  And Wolff, DJ, Rory, Finau, Champ along with a ton of other guys are hitting the ball a ways. 
Sounds like Matt needs some orgain protein, a gym, and a few months to understand the benefits of hitting the ball hard. 

12 minutes ago, Stanks said:

Matt is a tool. A few of his fellow countrymen are tools too, including Cam smith having his 10 seconds of fame after sounding off on Reed last year for the bunker debacle and Matt making a dig for Bryson being able to go yard is literally hilarious.

Greater length also means great ability to mess up. Dispersion grows the longer you hit.  And Wolff, DJ, Rory, Finau, Champ along with a ton of other guys are hitting the ball a ways. 
Sounds like Matt needs some orgain protein, a gym, and a few months to understand the benefits of hitting the ball hard. 

Takes a tool to know a tool...Cam Smith is an Aussie 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Both Rory and Matt are saying the same thing and I think they are not saying what is really going on. 

The Pga tour has done a great job of making the courses easier for the long hitters and players in general. They have cut down trees, cut down the rough, with their practically unlimited budget refused to put or extend bunkers so that it effects every player in the field equally. Even the bunkers they do play out have sand a certain way so this it settles to the middle of them...how often do you see a plugged ball in a bunker? Rarely every and the ball should plug every time you hit one going into the wind. 

All of this is known and that’s fine and dandy until someone makes a mockery of the pga tour setups to the point they have to spend millions to “fix” it. We all know the pga and the vast majority of their players don’t want to see the equipment nerfed. It’s no coincidence that when the usga and Ra said they were going to study the distance problem the pga tour distances tailed off and even decreased. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if they changed the 2 holes at each tournament they measure distance on to get a driver and a 3 wood instead of 2 drivers or something to that affect. 

So to me Rory and Matt are basically saying “Dude the tour are trying to stay under the radar here, and you are going to mess all of it up!”  I said when Bryson first started hitting bombs that he would by himself the get the equipment nerfed..that thought is aging quite well at the moment. 

• Like 1