2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Golf equipment is getting too expensive...

tgoodspe1991

So a week ago in nz..716mb 4..pw sells $1300nz,say 850us...4 years old...so string demand.. a set of T100 ex demo similar price,so i can agree with ex demo price...

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I am minded to agree but also remember either the Great Big Bertha or the Biggest Big Bertha back in the 90’s came out with a RRP of $500 or £500 over here in the UK. That said, that was something of an outlier with not many of the big name brands getting close to that price whereas now, the likes of Callaway, Taylor Made, Titleist, etc are all much of a muchness.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Black Stiff
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Driver prices have gotten out of control, but only if you think you need to upgrade every year.  Still decent value(relatively) to be found with some irons like Srixon Z585/785, JPX Hot Metals and Ping G and i series.  Hope Srixon stays reasonable with their new irons.  Putter prices are a bit absurd as well.  When Ping put out its Karsten series you got a great putter for $79 - now the entry point is the Sigma 2 at $199.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

I'm still young, but even I remember a time not too long ago when buying a $200 Scotty Cameron was a big purchase

There's never been a $200 Scotty Cameron.

I paid $275 for mine in 1996.

Other than that, all of my clubs have been purchased new or like new, but 2-3 years old, for 50% or less of new prices.

You can buy prior model drivers for ~$200, fairway woods for ~$100, and iron sets in the ~$500 range, in new or like new condition.

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 LS MK II 9.5° - Attas 11 70S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 7 wood)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

I disagree.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas-Leisure/Outdoor-Sports/Golf/Callaway-Edge-10-Piece-Golf-Set-Right-Handed/p/273385

I don't recall a time when I could get a full set of Callaway clubs and a odyssey putter for £490.

Off the rack drivers (before mainstream custom fit) were always £350-£500. Custom fitted clubs back then when they had glued hosels were £800 all in with the shaft+labour. 

Now you can get one fitted for RRP as long as you don't go for an upcharge shaft.

910D3 8.5* 
910F 17* 
AP2 (714) 3-PW 
Cleveland 588 Forged 50*/54*/60* 
SC Newport2 Pro Platinum

I agree

Prices here have gone through the roof, a new driver now is the same price as a great set of irons way back when. And some putters actually... And the problem with looking at 2nd hand stuff here is people charge too much or the stuff is in terrible condition... might find a good deal on the rare occasion.

• Like 1

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

2 hours ago, Tommyj said:

Driver prices have gotten out of control, but only if you think you need to upgrade every year.  Still decent value(relatively) to be found with some irons like Srixon Z585/785, JPX Hot Metals and Ping G and i series.  Hope Srixon stays reasonable with their new irons.  Putter prices are a bit absurd as well.  When Ping put out its Karsten series you got a great putter for $79 - now the entry point is the Sigma 2 at $199.

Wilson Harmonized putters are $50. It's crazy.

I think the whole tech and upgrade every year thing helps drive a perception of higher price. Back when every iron was some variation of the blade and every wood some variation of the sculpted wooden block, there was no need to buy a new set of clubs every year, much less every season, and some pros' woods became legendary for how long they'd been in the bag. 

If I just dropped $499 on a brand new SIM, and now next year Taylormade introduces the 2IM for $549 and it renders the SIM obsolete, there doesn't seem to be any value in my purchase. The expectation that a club will give you multiple years of service is not there.  Everyone talks about just buying 2 years ago's clubs for 50% off, but someone had to buy that club new, and for them it depreciated 50%. Makes the high price feel artificial. 

• Like 2

Sometimes I think that too, but really its just certain club types:

Drivers - I bought a brand new Great Big Bertha in ~1997? for $500. I bought a SIM and a Speedzone xtreme for essentially the same price 20+ years later

Balls - Titleist Professional were $50/box when they came out!!!

BUT

Irons - I bought new MP-14's in 1997 for I think $699, new Mp-20 are what almost double

Wedges - THEEEE wedge to have in the 90's were $80 588's, again now almost double

Putters - The Black Cameron's (1998ish) were <$300, basic Bettinardi's are $300

• Like 2

Tsr2 9*

BRNR Mini 13.5*

Gen 5 XF 17.5*

818 H1 20*/24*

Ping i210 6-P (29*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*/Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

Let's all remember that inflation is still a thing and I'm not sure people account for that. @spring7 mentioned a lot of prices and dates. That GBB he bought in 1997 for $500 would be $820 now. That's insane, you know the kinda driver I can build today for that price vs an OTR GBB? That box of ProV1s back in 2000 would be $72 now, imagine paying $72 for your favorite ball. The iron set about $1200 which is reasonable, about on par with the MP-20s today.

So in some cases prices have gone up, in some case prices have gone way down. Just be smart about your buying, do you need a new driver and iron set every year? If you do cool.  

• Like 4

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

3 hours ago, Tommyj said:

1 hour ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

It's only expensive if you decide to make it expensive.

If you need to have the latest and greatest, then yeah it's gonna hit you in the wallet.

If you're fine with trying multiple OEMs and you don't feel the need to upgrade your bag every year, then it's not expensive at all.

If you're fine with buying used, it's even less expensive when you take a minute or two to shop around for deals.

No one said you needed to rush out and buy new top end clubs the second they hit the shelves.

As the two above posts, it's only expensive if you want to make it so and want the newest gear every year. My clubs are all from 2016/2017 and all bought used, and I see no need to replace them - they fit me and my swing pretty well, and given the amount I play and practice, it works just fine.  So if you factor a 4 year lifespan, yearly costs aren't that much even if you buy new. Of course there are some brands/clubs/shafts  that charge a premium but that's just market forces at play and you can choose to go that route or cheaper if you really want new.

Me, personally, if I were to go custom fit and new, I'd want it to last me at least 4-5 years (maybe wedges about 3 but I've never worn out a wedge to be honest).

Don't forget - unless your custom fit clubs have some really out of the ordinary specs, you can recoup a lot of the cost in the used market if the clubs are in decent shape.

I'd counter the annual cost to play courses is getting quite pricey with memberships and green fees if you want variety and not stick to your same home course all the time.

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed 9.0 Kai'li Blue S

Callaway Mini Bertha 1.5 Kuro Kage S

TaylorMade Gapr Mid 3 KBS S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore

Callaway Jaws Raw Fullface 56 and 60

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide

No need to buy new if you like trying lots of clubs. New sets are like new cars — they drop in value immediately after you buy them. The used market is full of good deals. 

Or, it’s easy to buy new equipment from 2-3 releases ago for half of its original retail price. There is no difference performance wise vs the current models. 

Or buy new from the direct to consumer companies — Ben Hogan, Sub 70 and New Level all have great equipment at much lower prices. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

There could be an interesting side effect.....

In the 90s and early 2000s, component clubs were a viable alternative to OEM purchases, with price being a not insignificant player in the decision for many.  I'm not talking about the clones, but the product found at GolfWorks, Golfsmith, Dynacraft/Hireko, the artist formerly known as SMT, and so on.  

A fair number of the advances in clubs came from the component world.  400cc and up drivers being a notable mention.  Carl Wolter, anyone?

The acceleration of product cycles in the OEM world, and the resulting effect on the used club market, reduced the component allure for many.  Especially for those entrenched in the Club Ho world.  Now, with prices rising as they are, component options are looking more attractive than they were a dozen years ago.

Personally, I've picked up a few wedges from GolfWorks, a couple from Hireko, and even built a Pinhawk SL set for myself just to see what it was about.  

It also doesn't hurt that the new gear doesn't catch my interest all that much.  😉

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I think you'll see some negative bias on equipment prices mainly from folks here...no data to back that up, but

The more you read forums, check the bst, etc, the more you feel like you need to try something new. My lowest spend months came when I took a break from these forums and logged off...

• Like 2

There is no law saying that you HAVE to buy clubs brand new.  I've been playing this game since 2000 and USED clubs have never been more affordable and more available.  Thanks to local classifieds like Craigslist once can get a decent set of clubs made within the last 10 years for under $500.  I personally got my blades in a 2-PW from that site for $80....CDN (from a former staff pro of all people)!  Unfortunately, because of the resurgence of interest of golf because of this pandemic it has driven up demand for clubs (new and used) and thus prices, especially for the used market.  Golf tech has stagnated for years so you're not missing out on anything of you buying used clubs within the last 15 years.  

Above all, lessons and practice trumps all.  A club's performance is only as good as the person using it regardless how old the club is (within reason).

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Just like many other hobbies and industries...once a price goes up and people keep paying it, the manufacturers go "Well, look at that...." and it never goes back down. As is economics, you can expect prices to keep going up until they reach an uncanny peak of slowing sales then it will plateau. Maybe the data is already there for that - I'm not sure. But super premium product line off-shoots from the standard product lines are already a thing and you'll see more of it as other people have mentioned.

• Like 1

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / PHNTM7.5

Yea, I  remember seeing the first 400 dollar driver and getting confused about the direction of these prices. I thought they were trying to get more people into the sport not price them out. 

Either way, if you are not trying to get fit then there are still deals to be had. If you buy used and buy 2-3 year old models you can build a bag reasonably.

Just this year I picked up:

Titleist t-mbs 4-pw for 299

Titleist ZB forged 3-pw for 165

2 Sets of Callaway xprotos - conforming 5-p heads for 225 and non conforming 2-pw for 450 

Taylormade m2 (2017) driver head - 135 

Taylormade M2 3w (picked up one with an addi for 180 and another for 95 bucks)

I even ventured off my rule and got a new club! Sim TI 3 wood for 250 with 2 upgraded shafts. Felt like a good deal considering they retail for 400 and are rarely under 300 used right now.

Now, when I write out all of this it is kind of alarming... but I digress. All of these clubs perform as well or close enough as their modern counterparts. They are affordable and they are classic and cool clubs IMO.

Used market is where I dwell, SIMs are 699.99 otr here.... 1000-1200 for a fitted one with aftmrkt shaft. P7MC 4-pw here are 1649.99 off the rack. 620mb 3-pw 1879.99.

I'm only makin tradesperson money ova hee. lol But I agree the prices have gone up fairly consistently along with inflation and increased wages. New golf clubs were a big purchase then and they are still now. 

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Wilson FG Tour V4 4-PW DG Pro S300

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

There are touring pros still playing G400 drivers, 818 and even 913 fairways and hybrids, etc.

Just because a new driver exists for $600+ doesn't mean that that is the only way to play good equipment. I saw somebody comment that Taylormade replacing the SIM would make the SIM obsolete. Hardly. There may be some tiny incremental improvement, but nobody on here is limited by the quality and technology in a SIM or virtually anything else sold. 

Putters. The most overpriced club. I can understand driver prices creeping up as the technology has continued to advance with multiple material composition, specialized machining and the use of unobtainium. Putters are a block of steel, some with minimal multi material composition. Huge markup on material and labor to produce. I don't even want to talk about "stability shafts".

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gripandrip said:

Putters. The most overpriced club. I can understand driver prices creeping up as the technology has continued to advance with multiple material composition, specialized machining and the use of unobtainium. Putters are a block of steel, some with minimal multi material composition. Huge markup on material and labor to produce. I don't even want to talk about "stability shafts".

I have nothing wrong with a putter being the most expensive club in the bag considering it's the club you use the most and if playing very competitive golf can be the difference between wins and losses. 

Now mark ups for metal like GSS or similar I'm not for that and find it to be pretty stupid, more GSS than anything else. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Yes to the statement.

The talk about buying used is not what he asked. 
Reasons: The market allows for it. The club R&D costs. Overall costs of making a club goes up, which includes wages, factory costs, materials, etc. And Greed. 
No particular order on any of these reasons. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

It's hard to complain about price when golf has as many options as it does.

If you want to pay high price, you can. If you want to pay low price equipment you can. If you want to buy nice equipment and a lower price, you can.

I find it frustrating when in a market with no realistic competition to push prices down. In this case, there is plenty at all levels.  Name brand, non-name brand. Game improvement sets, etc.

Also, golf clubs aren't exactly a consumable. You can keep the same clubs for a very long time, and from a competitive design standpoint, I don't think you'll see any groundbreaking designs that will magically play better in 3-5-10 years that will be significantly better than what you buy today.

I'm more frustrated by pricing for items you need to buy monthly, or every couple years (cars if you need to drive a lot), where prices continually rise.

Golf equipment isn't one of those areas.

• Like 1