In all seriousness, is it time for Tony Finau to give up the Piretti?

stormin70

I mean it's not like he's Adam Scott or something. Talk about putting scared. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

Man...I thought this was Tony’s week! Shot a 64 on Sunday, was 23/23 on putts within 10 ft, and looked confident and loose down the stretch and in the playoff.

I’m a big fan of him as a person and of his game...and the stat of his Top 5 and Top 10 finishes over the last 5 yrs is nothing to sneeze at.

I feel like once he gets another W and the monkey off his back, many more Wins will come...just needs to break the ice on another one!

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Max LS (10.5*) / Hzrdus Smoke 6.0

Callaway Epic Max (15*) / Hzrdus Smoke 6.0

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max (19*) / Ventus Blue 7-S

Srixon ZX5 (4-5), ZX7 (6-AW) / Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 (56-SB & 60-LB) / Dynamic Gold S200

TaylorMade TP Collection Soto (36")

WITB on WRX

17 hours ago, stormin70 said:

No, it’s not the putters fault - he just doesn’t seem to putt well with the Piretti when it counts.

A good point...but his 1st chance was on the first playoff hole. Homa made a world-class par, but Finau could have chipped closer and had a very short putt for birdie.

The 2nd chance was Finau not hitting it into the bunker, making par difficult.

You never want to get beaten with a par...make the other guy earn it.

And you could even go all the way back to 18 when Finau missed the green and didn't give himself a putt for birdie to win outright.

Congrats to Homa...the par at 10 was one of the best I've seen considering the pressure, and the fact hat he kept his cool.

• Like 1

Huge Tony fan. I don't think he needs to change his putter but looking back on the whole week he left a few out there. Should'a, could'a, would'a but if you want to win you can't have some of the breaks or missed shots he had. At the same time Max got a few huge breaks to give him a chance despite missing on #18. Having any shot at all on the first playoff hole by the tree was big and somehow on #11 he didn't hit a tree on his 2nd shot. The gap was a few inches at most between two trees and he was aimed 5 feet right of where the ball actually went. 

"Every shot counts" - First round #2, from 160 yards in the fairway he puts it in a bunker and makes double, missing a 7 footer and the 9 foot come backer.

On #15, credit to him for the aggressive line trying to give himself an easy approach. He missed clearing the bunker by a few inches and needed to lay up but couldn't get up and down to save par with a poor 3rd shot leaving 40ft for par. Bounced back great with two birdies to keep himself in it which you love to see but not clearing that bunker was too much to overcome. Everyone knows Tony has more in the tank than his high 170s, low 180s ball speed he played with all tourney.

He made a lot of putts but still missed some in the final round despite having the best round of the day. Best missed opportunity was #7 but probably could have made #2, #7, #9, #12 or #14.

Birdie opportunities

#1 - 9.5ft make

#2 - 15ft miss, tap in

#3 - 6.5ft make

#4 - 31ft miss, tap in

#5 - 20ft miss, tap in

#6 - 3.5ft make

#7 - 10.1ft miss, tap in

#8 - 7ft make

#9 - 11ft miss, tap in

#10 - 16.5ft make

#11 - 4ft make

#12 - 13ft miss, tap in (shot tracker isn't accurate for this hole but looked about 13ft from the fringe, overcooked a draw from the fairway)

#13 - 68ft birdie chip to tap in

#14 - 16.5ft miss, tap in

#15 - missed clearing the bunker on the drive, laid up, 3rd shot from 54yrds, poor approach, 42ft for par, tap in bogey

#16 - 10ft make

#17 - 5.5ft make

#18 - 48ft chip, 3ft for par make

Edited by enfuego
  • Like 4

Wrx’rs are a tough crowd.  Guy shoots 64 and makes every putt all day and then misses a few 10-12 footers and 1/2 the people want an equipment change and the other half just think he is feeble minded.  He must have been first or second strokes gained putting yesterday...

he has missed some opportunities (everyone does from time to time) and had some situations where he was in a good spot and played well but didn’t win (times where he gained strokes on the field but it wasn’t enough).  He will be fine and get some wins.  He isn’t going to go down as one of the greatest ever but he is going to get some wins and have a very good career.  Things just haven’t aligned for him.

Edited by jomatty
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, jomatty said:

Wrx’rs are a tough crowd.  Guy shoots 64 and makes every putt all day and then misses a few 10-12 footers and 1/2 the people want an equipment change and the other half just think he is feeble minded.  He must have been first or second strokes gained putting yesterday...

he has missed some opportunities (everyone does from time to time) and had some situations where he was in a good spot and played well but didn’t win (times where he gained strokes on the field but it wasn’t enough).  He will be fine and get some wins.  He isn’t going to go down as one of the greatest ever but he is going to get some wins and have a very good career.  Things just haven’t aligned for him.

Was he ?  Real question.  What is the stat ? He may have been. But it’s also entirely possible he was #1 in approach and just hit it that good which made the score.  Don’t know.  

it’s not the putter. For sure. I just mean to say that occasionally you just have to trick the mind into a reset.  And looking at a different putter is definitely one of those tricks. 

edit.  If I looked at it correctly he was 18TH for the week. And is hovering around 80-100 on tour this season.  

Edited by bladehunter

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensei CK blue 80TX 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Was he ?  Real question.  What is the stat ? He may have been. But it’s also entirely possible he was #1 in approach and just hit it that good which made the score.  Don’t know.  

it’s not the putter. For sure. I just mean to say that occasionally you just have to trick the mind into a reset.  And looking at a different putter is definitely one of those tricks. 

I’d bet quite a bit he was top 3 strokes gained putting sunday.  Don’t have time/not motivated to dig for it right now.  If I’m wrong then I’m wrong, but the guy made everything he needed to all day.

Just now, jomatty said:

I’d bet quite a bit he was top 3 strokes gained putting sunday.  Don’t have time/not motivated to dig for it right now.  If I’m wrong then I’m wrong, but the guy made everything he needed to all day.

Yea I hear that. I hate digging for that too.  18th for the week is as far as i have brain power to dig right now. Lol. 

Just now, jomatty said:

Credit to NLU Tweet

Final round 64 for Finau

2nd in SG Putting (Homa 17th)

5th in SG Tee to Green (Homa 6th)

9th in SG Approach (Homa 13th)

1st in SG Total (Homa 2nd)

Edited by enfuego

2 hours ago, enfuego said:

Huge Tony fan. I don't think he needs to change his putter but looking back on the whole week he left a few out there. Should'a, could'a, would'a but if you want to win you can't have some of the breaks or missed shots he had. At the same time Max got a few huge breaks to give him a chance despite missing on #18. Having any shot at all on the first playoff hole by the tree was big and somehow on #11 he didn't hit a tree on his 2nd shot. The gap was a few inches at most between two trees and he was aimed 5 feet right of where the ball actually went. 

"Every shot counts" - First round #2, from 160 yards in the fairway he puts it in a bunker and makes double, missing a 7 footer and the 9 foot come backer.

On #15, credit to him for the aggressive line trying to give himself an easy approach. He missed clearing the bunker by a few inches and needed to lay up but couldn't get up and down to save par with a poor 3rd shot leaving 40ft for par. Bounced back great with two birdies to keep himself in it which you love to see but not clearing that bunker was too much to overcome. Everyone knows Tony has more in the tank than his high 170s, low 180s ball speed he played with all tourney.

He made a lot of putts but still missed some in the final round despite having the best round of the day. Best missed opportunity was #7 but probably could have made #2, #7, #9, #12 or #14.

Birdie opportunities

#1 - 9.5ft make

#2 - 15ft miss, tap in

#3 - 6.5ft make

#4 - 31ft miss, tap in

#5 - 20ft miss, tap in

#6 - 3.5ft make

#7 - 10.1ft miss, tap in

#8 - 7ft make

#9 - 11ft miss, tap in

#10 - 16.5ft make

#11 - 4ft make

#12 - 13ft miss, tap in (shot tracker isn't accurate for this hole but looked about 13ft from the fringe, overcooked a draw from the fairway)

#13 - 68ft birdie chip to tap in

#14 - 16.5ft miss, tap in

#15 - missed clearing the bunker on the drive, laid up, 3rd shot from 54yrds, poor approach, 42ft for par, tap in bogey

#16 - 10ft make

#17 - 5.5ft make

#18 - 48ft chip, 3ft for par make

Whoa, this must’ve taken a lot of time to research and type up. Great break down!

That’s usually the case with a close loss...it’s not just one missed shot, there are lots of missed opportunities along the way that combine in the missed Win.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Epic Max LS (10.5*) / Hzrdus Smoke 6.0

Callaway Epic Max (15*) / Hzrdus Smoke 6.0

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max (19*) / Ventus Blue 7-S

Srixon ZX5 (4-5), ZX7 (6-AW) / Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 (56-SB & 60-LB) / Dynamic Gold S200

TaylorMade TP Collection Soto (36")

WITB on WRX

If I made the money Tony made with a putter that "didn't work" I wouldn't complain. 

• Like 1

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Trad II - Lajosi Sensor - Kingdom Putter - - and more. 

WITB Thread

So he was 2nd strokes gained putting Sunday.  

this made me think of something.  This is a clear indication of how well he would do /improve it he were to be a top 10 sg putter week in and week out.     His distance etc is that good.     So for a player like Tony.  He needs to spend more thought , and time on putting that anything else.   Be it putter change or not. He should live on a putting  green. 

• Like 1

That tournament came down to 3 guys that just aren't closers when the tournament is up for grabs. One of them had to win, just wasn't Finau. He played very good overall though. 
I think out of the 3 of them, Homa is the guy who's going to learn how to step on it and close tournaments out. 

Edited by Skhacker

On 2/21/2021 at 6:50 PM, iBanesto said:

Finau has 8 top 10 major finishes in 18 major starts.

CHIII has 1 in 50 major starts.

Okay, so he’s CHIII on steroids. Are we allowed to say steroids around here?

I do want to see him win. I think we all do, the guy is impossible not to like. As much as I normally would advocate for an equipment change, I think he’s just a nervous nelly. 

TaylorMade SIM 10.5° | Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 60-S
TaylorMade M2 15° | Project X Evenflow Blue Handcrafted 75 6.0
TaylorMade SIM2 Rescue 19.5° | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 80S
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-5, Tour 6-PW | KBS Tour $-Taper 120 

Titleist Vokey SM7 50°, 54°, SM8 58° | Nippon N.S. PRO Modus³ 115

Toulon Design Seattle
Titleist ProV1X 

• 4 months later...
On 7/18/2021 at 12:41 PM, Greg_B said:

Someone (Faldo?) noted this morning on Finau's first green that not only did he change putters but that the new one put his eye line almost directly over the line of the putt instead of being way inside it like the previous one did. He putted really well today.

Changed to what?

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 6:32 PM, stormin70 said:

Seems (TF) always close but can’t close the deal due to his putting.  Anyone else think it’s time for him to move to a new putter?

News Flash ! ! !

Tony Finau had a new Ping flat-stick in the bag last week as he recorded his fourth top-25 Open Championship finish in his fifth start.

The Utah native had most recently been gaming a Piretti Elite Custom putter but played a new Ping blade over the four days at Royal St. Georges.

The new putter is listed on the company’s website as a ‘Ping Prototype Putter PLD Anser 2’, with the following specs: “37 inches, 22.5 degree lie, 5 degree loft”.

For details see Finau - Ping

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

This has probably been said before, and this is coming from someone who has Tony in his top 2-3 favorite players on tour, but Tony doesn't win because:

1) He's too nice

2) He cares more about his family / life than golf 

These are not character flaws and they are not criticisms. They are both admirable. However, if you look at his IG, while he may be playing golf all the time, he's playing with his son, his brother, his coaches family, etc. He's out having fun. He cares more about his family than he does losing. That's totally ok, but it's not the personality trait that necessarily leads to winning, unless one is truly that much more talented than every other player. 

That said, a new putter / better putting stroke couldn't hurt...