The most fun "era" of your golfing life

caeye0710

It's a tie. 

Junior high golf - I thought I was one of the best golfers in the province (but never shot below 75). Bought all my clubs on eBay. My golf balls were all found in the woods. Parents dropped me off at 9 and would pick me up at 5. 

Golf in your 30s - Now I have money and can basically buy whatever I want. Prov1s? Buy two boxes. New driver? Sure. Simulator? Done. High end green fee? Book it. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

My early teens was fun hanging out with friends but got yelled at by old crotchety dudes.

Set golf aside for other things and came back in during my late 20s still fun hanging out with friends more access to courses still yelled at by old crotchety dudes. But could buy my own stuff without the need of asking my parents like before.

Now early 30s can play some nicer courses, can buy even nicer gear, on my way to a private membership to play even more. Don't think the old dudes yell at me anymore.

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

High school golf without a doubt.  Not a care in the world… some of my best friendships have come from that time.   Played college golf with 2 out of our starting 4 in high school which was enjoyable as well. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Mine was my early 30’s when I had some extra disposable income to devote to golf and my wife could care less if I hit balls a few times per week after work and was no big deal to play 27 on Saturday of most weekends and sometimes 27 on sat and then 18 on Sunday. My HC was around an 8. But kids and more work responsibilities changed all that. My HC has swelled to like a 15 or 16 something BUT my rounds are now more fun and my daughter is my whole world. Right now life could not be sweeter. My golf blows but life is fantastic!

• Like 2

Right now.  I play once a week and I've finally figured out how to play.  Playing the best golf of my life and loving it.

Other time would be late high school - my friends family had a country club membership and we used to jump on the course in the evening...it was totally empty and we could play at our own pace and mess around.

• Like 1

My early 30s . Divorced,  golf when I liked. Took lessons improvement was remarkable for me. Remarried at 37 . Family time took priority. Good bye to  golf anytime. BUT enjoyed the second time around with the wife and son much better than golf. Really stop laughing…. 

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

When I started playing and broke 40 over for the first time, and then 30 and then 20 and then 10. Nowadays a bad shot is magnified, not breaking 80 is a disaster and starting with a double bogey is enough reason to start shopping for new clubs. Luckily I have good playing friends that loose every now and then that brings nothing but joy 🙂 

Most fun?  Late 20s to now (38).

Everything all the way back to elementary school through my mid 20s was such a grind.  I was playing competitively and every single shot was life or death (or so I thought).  The goal was the tour and I got as low as a +4 at around 22 but I soon realized a couple things. 

One, +4 ain't sh*t to those guys.  Unless you've truly seen it up close and personal you really can't even fathom how freaking good those guys are.  Korn Ferry dudes are so much better than the best amateur you've ever played with.  Hell, there are some CADDIES on tour who are better than anybody you've ever played with. 

Second, the game just wasn't fun back then.  It felt like work.  Sure, I won some stuff, but the high of winning was never equitable to the lows of losing.  There just wasn't genuine joy with the wins, it was more relief.  And the losses would run the gamut from frustration, to depression, to rage and everything in between.

Now I just play to play and enjoy the game again.  I'll put up some 68s and I'll put up some 82s, but either way, I'm out there having a good time.

• Like 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

Right now for sure, at 47 years old.

Played a little in early high school with my dad's leather bag and crappy clubs at a 9 hole par 3.  My early years were tennis and baseball.  During college swung with a baseball grip with a buddy who inspired my love of golf.  Finally moved to overlap and played with that buddy two weekends a year through my 20's as we lived in different cities.  Played a bunch with my dad in my 20's as well.  My 30's were a dark period with no golf due to work/kids etc, but was able to play a lot of tennis cause I could play weekday evenings.

Now my kids are both in high school and don't "need me" as much.  Member at a private club with a core group of folks.  ON a few core invite lists for golf, and organize a few myself.  Got down to a 3.8 but now hovering at a 5.  Played 75 rounds last year between weekends, late afternoon weekdays and golf trips.  This year played Pebble, Spanish Bay, Spyglass, Oakmont, Arcadia, Kingsley, and am headed to Bandon in late October with the same college friend.

Club is 7 minutes away so easy to go up and putt or chip or hit or walk a quick 9 almost whenever I want.  Life is good right now, but I did have to promise my wife that my golf trips will be reduced next year.

• Like 1

Right now. 

I have money, free time and a great group of regulars I play with. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60TX

Fairway: PING G425 SFT | Diamana 'ahina 80X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX6 | Dynamic Gold TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

Like they said above, high school years were just golf and golf and more golf, no big things to worry about and long summer days to spend at the golf course.  

And then a few years before my first kid was born I could manage to play more and got some strong game.  Played a lot of tournaments and I feel now that was the last time I played very good golf for an extended period of time.  These days I've got more time to play again but my game is nothing to do with those bygone golden years.  

High school was great!

Second great era: Made a pile of money and "retired", i.e, walked away, but only stayed retired for a few years before starting a new gig. Golf 2-3 times a week and practicing and the gym the other days. 

But the absolute best has always been playing with my now adult son. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

Now.

Was a better golfer when I was younger and at twelve was competing with adults. PGA professional offered to mentor me but I was, then, and past then, not the mentoring type and had interests beyond golf that would belie the relationship in any event. Stayed with the game on an off and on basis and then for a good long time, off, but while on never really paid attention to what goes into making a golf course work and the dedication it takes to sustain it.

Paying attention now and appreciating it in a much more real sense, more fully realizing others are truly involved in the fun (and meaningfulness) that is experienced. It's profit but it's also about much more. One is not alone. 

Many that started out before and with me cannot for one reason or another any longer play and they are missed but I carry them with me when I play but now win more of the silly conversations we used to enjoy! Don't play as well these days but I play better than at any time in the past and enjoy it more, score notwithstanding, because I am now more open to the moment for what it means in the moment and how it opens me to other moments that may come with others. Have a moment from time to time, of course, but they are rare and feelings of silliness subsequently intervene and my deserved shame evolves into laughter. I am alive; can hit it right, left, not at all. And then do it again.

Old Cuss

• Like 1

Probably from 2001-2008 when I was in my 30s.   I played like a high/mid handicapper at the time and can barely break 90 but my income was never higher as I was a corporate foreign currency trader at the time and times were good.  Had lots of disposable income.  Had a private membership at a club, golfed in Mexico and the Caribbean.  It was a good time to live in those days.  Maybe that is the main reason why I prefer to play clubs made in that era.

Then 2008 came along and the financial crisis that came with it.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I would say right now. My kids are grown, my career is stable, I can afford the clubs and courses I want to play and I'm still relatively healthy enough to do it 3+ times a week. I've got about 10 more years before I retire and can golf full time. But for now, it's pretty damn good.

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

High school golf days - school, golf, compete, repeat. Similar stories to others here who made lifelong friends with teammates and other kids in the junior golf circuit, practicing every day together and competing in junior tournaments. Now 28, the one thing I've come to appreciate is how much amazing access we had as junior golfers to all the best courses in Southern California. Courses that charge $150+ public rates, used to cost us $1-5 as kids, or something like $100 for the whole season. Makes me want to continue supporting junior golf programs anywhere I can.

I do hope my golden era of golf is still to come... a flexible work schedule, private club membership / access and competing in am / mid-am tournaments doesn't sound like too bad of a lifestyle 🙂

Back when I was in the Navy.  Played courses overseas and near our home ports.  Those jaunts were a great release on port visits or after long deployments.  Our groups would compose of anything from a Seaman Apprentice to a Lt. Commander.  Everyone was on a first name basis on the course, regardless of rank.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Probably mid to late 20's.  I was experiencing financial hardship so I moved back in with my parents for awhile.  Lived with them rent free and had access to my father's cc until I was 29.  Normally, member's kids are g2g until 26, but nobody really cared until then.  Had a part time job as a result which allowed me to play and practice often.  This was also the time I was the longest off the tee as well.  I would play 3x a week and practice 3 to 4x a week.  Didn't realize how good I had it at that time until I got married and had to get a real job, haha. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

For me it's two "eras", and each for their own reasons:

The first era being when I started playing golf in the mid 90's. I was fresh out of college, and didn't have a lot of money. So I'd grab a friend, and we'd go stink it up at one of the many local public courses. I remember one course had a weekday deal, $25 for 18 w/cart, and it got you free lunch at the turn. That was a great deal for two dudes making maybe a little above minimum wage. The other thing I remember is I wasn't very good at golf, would usually shoot in the high 90's. But I also remember having no fear, and would just pound driver off the tee every time. And playing smart shots to get myself back into position? Hell no! Always went for the hero shot! Probably why I could barely break 100, LOL. One thing I like to do at least a couple times every season nowadays is try to get down to play one of these old courses I used to play. Sort of a fun nostalgia thing. 

Second era would be nowadays. My wife and I joined a private club in '18, and she plays a lot of golf with me. We take a few golf trips together, so we get to play a lot of better courses than I used to. I also am a much better player than I was, and I play smarter golf with far better course management. Not as exciting as my older days, but I like the end result a lot better. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I'm living in my best time right now.  I didn't play much in high school or college and didn't take it serious when I was younger.  I'm 43 now and have a regular group I play with on the weekends, a FIL who I enjoy playing with and maybe the best part, my 11 and 13 year old sons have taken up the sport and I get the play with them often.  I couldn't ask for more.  

I have a few:

High school golf before we all got summer jobs, we would play the local junior golf tournaments on Mondays, then head to the course all day the rest of the week. 

College golf especially during the spring schedule coming into conference and trying to make it to nationals.

I'm actually having a lot of fun now too, I have my frustrating days simply due to lack of practice but I feel like I understand a lot more about how to play and appreciate when I get to more. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x