Got Graphite Shafts in your Irons?? Like them? Other Thoughts?

memberguest

Just looking to hear from more guys who play graphite shafts in irons. Which shafts are you playing? How do you like them? Are they stock graphite offered by the irons' OEM or were you fitted and had the clubs built for you? Other thoughts on graphite shafts in irons. 

I play steelfiber i95 in Taylormade P770s. They are ok. I am considering going to a slightly heavier shaft. 

Edited by memberguest

I’ll be trying a set of kbs  tgi or pgi 100 grams with in the next year just as an experiment.

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

I have been playing graphite since Callaway X-16 irons due to wrist/elbow injuries.  It has improved greatly since then.  I really like Recoil shafts, been too cheap to buy Steelfibers, but I have hit them during a fitting and liked them.  I play Mitsubishi MMT right now and no complaints at all.  Helps so much with shock absorbing on iron shots.  I also play them in my wedges.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LHGolf4 said:

I have been playing graphite since Callaway X-16 irons due to wrist/elbow injuries.  It has improved greatly since then.  I really like Recoil shafts, been too cheap to buy Steelfibers, but I have hit them during a fitting and liked them.  I play Mitsubishi MMT right now and no complaints at all.  Helps so much with shock absorbing on iron shots.  I also play them in my wedges.

Same story. Originally went to graphite because of joint pain. Made a world of difference and can play/practice longer without the pain. 

But I wasn't too picky on the shafts at first. Now that there are many more offerings in graphite from manufacturers (and the tech is getting pretty good maybe even better than steel in terms of capability and customizability) I am looking to get fit again and start playing the best graphite shafts for me.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, memberguest said:

Same story. Originally went to graphite because of joint pain. Made a world of difference and can play/practice longer without the pain. 

But I wasn't too picky on the shafts at first. Now that there are many more offerings in graphite from manufacturers (and the tech is getting pretty good maybe even better than steel in terms of capability and customizability) I am looking to get fit again and start playing the best graphite shafts for me.  

Absolutely, it is a great time to be playing graphite with all the different varieties and heavier weight options make it even easier to transition from steel to graphite.

I should have been fitted before just going right into graphite iron shafts. I had the misconception that 95 gram graphite shafts would play like 95 gram steel shafts and have found that besides the weight itself, the 95 gram Stiff graphite plays much more stout than 95 gram Stiff steel. May not always be true, but thats what i have observed so far.

I have Steelfiber i110 R in sets of G425 and i210, Steelfiber i95 R in a set of G410, and Steelfiber fc115 stiff (ss 1x) in a set of PXG Gen 2.  My favorites are the i110, then fc115, then i95.  I like that weight in the 105-110g range, so however good the i95 are (and they are great), they trail a bit behind the heavier Steelfibers for me.  Amazing shafts overall, and much easier on the body.

I’ve played Recoil 95, which are nice as well, though not in the top range for me.  I love the Project X Catalyst 100 as well.  Have never really given the MMT 95/105 a test, but would like to.  Tons of great options out there these days, like the ones I mentioned, plus KBS TGI/PGI.   

Edited by jeffrey r
  • Like 1

Taylormade Sim Max D 9* Driver, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 6F3

Cobra SpeedZone 3 Wood, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7 R

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood, Accra FX 2.0 200F M3

Srixon Z H85 4 Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.0

Ping G425 Irons 5-UW, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 R

Cleveland RTX Zipcore SW (54*/10) and LW (58*/10), Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S

Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

My shoulder was being weird so I decided to swap out my irons with the same 80g Kuro Kage shaft I had in my 3 wood and love them. Put them in both sets I have now. They were pretty cheap, too.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

Have three sets with graphite shafts.  Golden Rams with NV105, more Golden Rams with RIP Tour 115, and MP37s with Recoil Proto 125.

Like all of them.  Wrist irritation is way down.  Like the ballflight I get with these sets better than I was seeing with steel.  See no reason to go back.

Toying with trying a set with NV95, Steelfiber i95, Recoil 95 or 110, maybe Fuji Pro 95 TS.  Might be acquiring new (to me) irons, which combined with end of season has me waiting to decide.  Won't be long and I'll have the usual forced vacation.  🙂

Glad I've switched.  Can't see going back.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

I have been playing graphite shafts in my irons for several years. I moved to them because of increasing pain in my hands, arms and shoulders. I am a serious range rat and have been pretty much pain free for 5 yrs.

I started with the SF i110CW R in some Titleist 695 CBs. Played them for one season then got a set of Amp Cell Pros with Aldila RIP Tour 115 R flex. Fell in love with the shafts. Bought two more sets of these shafts before they disappeared. I have a set of Mizuno MP69s and a set of MP5s with them. I also have a set of MP25s shafted with UST Recoil Proto 125 F4s which are pretty sweet. Lastly, I have a set of black chrome MP14s shafted with Fuji Tour 115 S which I actually have only hit sparingly. They feel really good though for a parallel shaft.  I won't go back to steel ever.

BT

• Like 2

Cobra LTD Pro 10.5° HZRDUS Blk 75 6.0 @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP25 4-PW Mamiya Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

I was selected by @KBS Golf Shafts and GolfWRX to test the 100G KBS PGI shaft. First time trying graphite in irons. Long time DG S400 player. I can confidently say that I’m not going back to steel. I have mild tennis elbow on the left. It flares up especially after hitting balls off a mat at the the range. With the PGIs, my elbow feels totally fine.  The vibration reduction is impressive.  Even with that, the feel of this shaft is smooth.  Good shots feel good and poorly struck shots are noticeable, but not painful. Knowing that my elbow won’t hurt has enabled me to swing normally without fear. 

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 9.0 Aldila Rogue 130msi 70X

Cobra F7 Diamana Blueboard 80X

Callaway RAZR X Tour 18 degree GD AD-DI -95 HYB X-Stiff

Callaway RAZR X Tour 21 degree GD AD-DI -95 HYB X-Stiff

Mizuno MP-64 4-PW KBS PGI 100

Fourteen 53 and 59 wedges DG S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34 inches/Odyssey Stroke Lab 7S 34 inches

Mmt125tx here.  Also went due to elbow injury.  I’ve found better performance actually. Dispersion is tighter snd ballspeed is up 3-4 mph per club.  

But I think you have to go with a heavy enough shaft to keep feel.  I think a lot try to go too light all at once.  And don’t assume all graphite is similar.  It’s really not.  Steel fiber feel nothing like MMT.  MMT feels nothing like Fujikura pro.  Etc etc. just like steel shafts. Kbs feels nothing like DGx100.  

best part is how easy it is on my body. I just don’t have any elbow pain.  And my joints etc don’t bother me at the end of a round like before.  I played modus 130x before.  For comparison 

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensei CK blue 80TX 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

callaway xforged UT 21* ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw  MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

My first set of irons (25+ years ago) had graphite shafts and now my latest have graphite shafts. I think I'll stick with graphite iron shafts!

DR: Searching.......

FW: Taylormade SIM MaxD 16° + Tensei AV 75x @ 42 1/2".
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 22° + White Tie HX4 @ 40 1/2".
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 52°/56°/60° + C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

8 hours ago, Ri_Redneck said:

I have been playing graphite shafts in my irons for several years. I moved to them because of increasing pain in my hands, arms and shoulders. I am a serious range rat and have been pretty much pain free for 5 yrs.

6 hours ago, kidcardio said:

I have mild tennis elbow on the left. It flares up especially after hitting balls off a mat at the the range. With the PGIs, my elbow feels totally fine.  The vibration reduction is impressive...   Knowing that my elbow won’t hurt has enabled me to swing normally without fear. 

33 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

best part is how easy it is on my body. I just don’t have any elbow pain.  And my joints etc don’t bother me at the end of a round like before.  

When I tried my first set of graphite, my thinking was to head off the eventual forced change.  I didn't feel I was there yet, but wanted to explore options.

After playing them for a couple months, I came to realize my hands and wrists felt a little odd.  It was the absence of irritation that I didn't even realize was there. 

How about that?  🙂

Went back to steel for a couple years because a ho has got to ho.  Earlier this year, I'd taken my Super Peening Blue X set out on the course, to see if I still could (getting older, not Xstiff guy anymore).  I can hit them, but the firmer flex aggravated my irritated wrists enough that I wasn't sure I could finish the round.  

Couldn't ignore that as a sign.  Graphite has been in the bag since then and the wrists are happier.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

Mitsubishi OT 105S here.  Best decision I have ever made.  Steel shafts are so harsh, very few are smooth if you really think about it, especially the higher weights.  Played Project X, KBS C Taper, and Tour.  

Once I got fit for these, and I test the steefiber (which are awful), Recoils, Paderson (very underrated), I never looked back.  Wonderful feel and lively thru the swing.  One thing I can truthfully say is graphite shafts do not feel light, they certainly make them feel like steel in terms of weight.  The shafts made today are not your typical whippy iron shafts from 20 years ago.  Kids playing the game now that end up on tour in 15-20 years will most likely be playing graphite.  It just inevitable.

I can say that my left elbow has been killing me lately, made the switch to graphite and have not had this problem.  It really does make a difference.  

• Like 1

Yes, hell yes, and never going back to steel, never.

• Like 1

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           Diamana ZF 80TX

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 18*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA CB 57  4-6                                     MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001  7-P                                  MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto  52, 57, 60                      MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

Years and years ago, I got "fit" - really, sold in a rush - into Cobras with graphite shafts of all things. They were floppy and messy. I then moved on to Rocketbladez with steel shafts and now play AP1s with steel shafts.

However, I recently put graphite shafts into my 4 and 5 irons. Those clubs went from just manageable to absolutely in the mix now.

I have Recoil 780 ES SMACWRAPs in them.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max

Wood: TaylorMade M6

Hybrid: Taylormade M3

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7

Putter: TaylorMade Ardmore 2 Black Copper

I replaced my modus 130 for steelfibers 110s this year for two reasons: 1) elbow and wrist pain returned (modus offered some relief coming from PX but ultimately came back) and 2) experiencing late round fatigue. Im goin on 40 now and just thought why not. I chose steelfibers bc they allow to build at longer lengths without comprising swingweights too much, which in hindsight, wasnt needed because i ended up adding headweight anyways to get them to “feel” right. Lost a total of 15g per club. So far i really like them, but wish i woulda at least tried mmt, but was afraid of the swingweight thing.

If LAGP ever releases Texas Rebar I'll be a graphite guy.

Cobra King LTD Pro 8.5 LAGP Tour AXS BLU 60X

TM Sim2 Max 15.0 Ventus Black Velocore 7x

TM M3 19.0 Diamana WB 80x

TM 2019 P790 4-P Project X 6.5 Taper

Vokey Sm8 50F 60M Project X 6.0 Taper

Cleveland Zipcore 54 Project X 6.0 Taper

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Bridgestone Tour B X (Testing Pro V1x Left Dash) 

I play Catalyst 100 and my son plays MMT 125 at my suggestion. I’m 47 hes 16. The difference in pain is hard to believe actually and the shaft performance is every bit as good as steel. Wish I would have had the quality of shafts available now when I was my sons age.  I’m a plus 2, and former club pro and my iron play is as good as ever. 

COBRA RADSPEED 9.0 HZRDUS RDX BLUE 6.0                                        SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               WILSON M5 TOUR 17* ALDILA ROGUE STIFF.                                           TITLEIST U510 3 ALDILA PHENOM 100 stiff.                                       SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                         SRIXON ZX7 A WEDGE 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 54* MMT 125 Stiff.                                        CALLAWAY JAWS FULL 58* MMT 125 Stiff.                                         NATIONAL CUSTOM NICOLL BLADE SNELL MTB-X

Switched from Lz 6.0 (120g) and Elevate Tour X (122g) in my last 2 sets to a set of Recoil 110 F5’s (110g) and absolutely love them. I do wish they were in the 115-120g range as they are just a tad light. But I’ve been able to make it work just fine. 
Really wanting to try the Mmt in the 125 range for that additional weight. 

Driver (Bag #1) PXG Gen4 0811x (10.5) - Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 60 (6.0) / (Bag #2) Cobra Radspeed XB Season Opener - Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch PVD 60 (6.0)
Fairway(Bag #1) Taylormade Sim Max Rocket (14)  - Aldila Tour Blue 65 (stiff) / (Bag #2) Cobra Bio Cell (17) - Aldila Tour Blue 65 (stiff) "Tour Pink"

Fairway: (Bag #1) Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5) Hzrdus Red 75 (6.0)

Driving Iron: (Bag #1) Taylormade Tour Preferred UDI (2-18') - Steelfiber 110s / (Bag #2) Taylormade RSI UDI (3-20') - S400 

Hybrid:  (Bag #1) Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) - Aldila Tour Blue 85 (stiff)
Irons:  (Bag #1) PXG Gen3 0311P (5-G) - True Temper Elevate Tour (x-stiff) / (Bag #2) Mizuno 921 Hot Metal / Project X LZ 6.0 Black
Wedge:  (Bag #1) Cleveland RTX Zipcore Raw (54/12) / Nippon Modus 125w
Wedge:  (Bag #1) TM Hi-Toe (60/10) / KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putter:  (Bag #1) Mannkrafted MA/55 (Custom) / (Bag #2) Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa #9Ht (Custom)
Bag:  (Bag #1) Bennington LQO-9 stand bag / (Bag #2) Nike 14 cart bag

Been playing graphite in my irons for more than 20 years now.

• 1st set was stock graphite in a set of TM 320's - and they worked out great.  a 95 gm shaft made for TM by Fujikura.   Might have been a bit on the light side coming from DG's but the relief of not having to deal with the pain any more made me not really care about how good a fit they might have been.
  • 2nd was stock in a set of Ping's (i5's) - and they were HORRIBLE despite being "fit" into them - (although now that I know better it wasn't really much of a fitting.)  Too light and way too soft.
  • 3rd set - after doing my own research and testing, I found shaft that really was a good shaft - Aldila vs-proto 100 custom ordered in a set of Cally RazrX tour's.
  • 4th set.  VS-proto's working great - no need to change so got another set for some TM SLDR heads.
  • 5th Aerotech FC90's  in Cally Rogue Tour's.  Was still happy with the previous set but won the shafts in a contest here.  I wasn't actually thinking of moving on from the vs-proto's but Aldila stopped making them.   The FC90's actually turned out to be a nice transition from the vs-proto's as age and shoulder surgery started to slow down the swing.

• Like 1

Aldila RIP Tour 90 "Reg" flex for me for about 6-7 years.  I still love them, but I can't find any more.  I need something for my next build. Steelfibers and TGI haven't worked out for me. 

[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 10.5 - GD YS7 Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway 815 14 - GD YS7 Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21 - Tensei Pro White 90 S[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Bridgestone J15 DF/CB 5-PW - RIP Tour 90 R[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone J15 50 - Modus 120[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Miura [/color][color=#0000FF]54, 57C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]