Got Graphite Shafts in your Irons?? Like them? Other Thoughts?

memberguest

Just looking to hear from more guys who play graphite shafts in irons. Which shafts are you playing? How do you like them? Are they stock graphite offered by the irons' OEM or were you fitted and had the clubs built for you? Other thoughts on graphite shafts in irons. 

I play steelfiber i95 in Taylormade P770s. They are ok. I am considering going to a slightly heavier shaft. 

Edited by memberguest

I’ll be trying a set of kbs  tgi or pgi 100 grams with in the next year just as an experiment.

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I have been playing graphite since Callaway X-16 irons due to wrist/elbow injuries.  It has improved greatly since then.  I really like Recoil shafts, been too cheap to buy Steelfibers, but I have hit them during a fitting and liked them.  I play Mitsubishi MMT right now and no complaints at all.  Helps so much with shock absorbing on iron shots.  I also play them in my wedges.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LHGolf4 said:

I have been playing graphite since Callaway X-16 irons due to wrist/elbow injuries.  It has improved greatly since then.  I really like Recoil shafts, been too cheap to buy Steelfibers, but I have hit them during a fitting and liked them.  I play Mitsubishi MMT right now and no complaints at all.  Helps so much with shock absorbing on iron shots.  I also play them in my wedges.

Same story. Originally went to graphite because of joint pain. Made a world of difference and can play/practice longer without the pain. 

But I wasn't too picky on the shafts at first. Now that there are many more offerings in graphite from manufacturers (and the tech is getting pretty good maybe even better than steel in terms of capability and customizability) I am looking to get fit again and start playing the best graphite shafts for me.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, memberguest said:

Same story. Originally went to graphite because of joint pain. Made a world of difference and can play/practice longer without the pain. 

But I wasn't too picky on the shafts at first. Now that there are many more offerings in graphite from manufacturers (and the tech is getting pretty good maybe even better than steel in terms of capability and customizability) I am looking to get fit again and start playing the best graphite shafts for me.  

Absolutely, it is a great time to be playing graphite with all the different varieties and heavier weight options make it even easier to transition from steel to graphite.

I should have been fitted before just going right into graphite iron shafts. I had the misconception that 95 gram graphite shafts would play like 95 gram steel shafts and have found that besides the weight itself, the 95 gram Stiff graphite plays much more stout than 95 gram Stiff steel. May not always be true, but thats what i have observed so far.

I have Steelfiber i110 R in sets of G425 and i210, Steelfiber i95 R in a set of G410, and Steelfiber fc115 stiff (ss 1x) in a set of PXG Gen 2.  My favorites are the i110, then fc115, then i95.  I like that weight in the 105-110g range, so however good the i95 are (and they are great), they trail a bit behind the heavier Steelfibers for me.  Amazing shafts overall, and much easier on the body.

I’ve played Recoil 95, which are nice as well, though not in the top range for me.  I love the Project X Catalyst 100 as well.  Have never really given the MMT 95/105 a test, but would like to.  Tons of great options out there these days, like the ones I mentioned, plus KBS TGI/PGI.   

Edited by jeffrey r
  • Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

My shoulder was being weird so I decided to swap out my irons with the same 80g Kuro Kage shaft I had in my 3 wood and love them. Put them in both sets I have now. They were pretty cheap, too.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Have three sets with graphite shafts.  Golden Rams with NV105, more Golden Rams with RIP Tour 115, and MP37s with Recoil Proto 125.

Like all of them.  Wrist irritation is way down.  Like the ballflight I get with these sets better than I was seeing with steel.  See no reason to go back.

Toying with trying a set with NV95, Steelfiber i95, Recoil 95 or 110, maybe Fuji Pro 95 TS.  Might be acquiring new (to me) irons, which combined with end of season has me waiting to decide.  Won't be long and I'll have the usual forced vacation.  🙂

Glad I've switched.  Can't see going back.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I have been playing graphite shafts in my irons for several years. I moved to them because of increasing pain in my hands, arms and shoulders. I am a serious range rat and have been pretty much pain free for 5 yrs.

I started with the SF i110CW R in some Titleist 695 CBs. Played them for one season then got a set of Amp Cell Pros with Aldila RIP Tour 115 R flex. Fell in love with the shafts. Bought two more sets of these shafts before they disappeared. I have a set of Mizuno MP69s and a set of MP5s with them. I also have a set of MP25s shafted with UST Recoil Proto 125 F4s which are pretty sweet. Lastly, I have a set of black chrome MP14s shafted with Fuji Tour 115 S which I actually have only hit sparingly. They feel really good though for a parallel shaft.  I won't go back to steel ever.

BT

• Like 2

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I was selected by @KBS Golf Shafts and GolfWRX to test the 100G KBS PGI shaft. First time trying graphite in irons. Long time DG S400 player. I can confidently say that I’m not going back to steel. I have mild tennis elbow on the left. It flares up especially after hitting balls off a mat at the the range. With the PGIs, my elbow feels totally fine.  The vibration reduction is impressive.  Even with that, the feel of this shaft is smooth.  Good shots feel good and poorly struck shots are noticeable, but not painful. Knowing that my elbow won’t hurt has enabled me to swing normally without fear. 

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 9.0 Aldila Rogue 130msi 70X

Cobra F7 Diamana Blueboard 80X

Callaway RAZR X Tour 18 degree GD AD-DI -95 HYB X-Stiff

Callaway RAZR X Tour 21 degree GD AD-DI -95 HYB X-Stiff

Mizuno MP-64 4-PW KBS PGI 100

Fourteen 53 and 59 wedges DG S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34 inches/Odyssey Stroke Lab 7S 34 inches

Mmt125tx here.  Also went due to elbow injury.  I’ve found better performance actually. Dispersion is tighter snd ballspeed is up 3-4 mph per club.  

But I think you have to go with a heavy enough shaft to keep feel.  I think a lot try to go too light all at once.  And don’t assume all graphite is similar.  It’s really not.  Steel fiber feel nothing like MMT.  MMT feels nothing like Fujikura pro.  Etc etc. just like steel shafts. Kbs feels nothing like DGx100.  

best part is how easy it is on my body. I just don’t have any elbow pain.  And my joints etc don’t bother me at the end of a round like before.  I played modus 130x before.  For comparison 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My first set of irons (25+ years ago) had graphite shafts and now my latest have graphite shafts. I think I'll stick with graphite iron shafts!

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

8 hours ago, Ri_Redneck said:

I have been playing graphite shafts in my irons for several years. I moved to them because of increasing pain in my hands, arms and shoulders. I am a serious range rat and have been pretty much pain free for 5 yrs.

6 hours ago, kidcardio said:

I have mild tennis elbow on the left. It flares up especially after hitting balls off a mat at the the range. With the PGIs, my elbow feels totally fine.  The vibration reduction is impressive...   Knowing that my elbow won’t hurt has enabled me to swing normally without fear. 

33 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

best part is how easy it is on my body. I just don’t have any elbow pain.  And my joints etc don’t bother me at the end of a round like before.  

When I tried my first set of graphite, my thinking was to head off the eventual forced change.  I didn't feel I was there yet, but wanted to explore options.

After playing them for a couple months, I came to realize my hands and wrists felt a little odd.  It was the absence of irritation that I didn't even realize was there. 

How about that?  🙂

Went back to steel for a couple years because a ho has got to ho.  Earlier this year, I'd taken my Super Peening Blue X set out on the course, to see if I still could (getting older, not Xstiff guy anymore).  I can hit them, but the firmer flex aggravated my irritated wrists enough that I wasn't sure I could finish the round.  

Couldn't ignore that as a sign.  Graphite has been in the bag since then and the wrists are happier.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Mitsubishi OT 105S here.  Best decision I have ever made.  Steel shafts are so harsh, very few are smooth if you really think about it, especially the higher weights.  Played Project X, KBS C Taper, and Tour.  

Once I got fit for these, and I test the steefiber (which are awful), Recoils, Paderson (very underrated), I never looked back.  Wonderful feel and lively thru the swing.  One thing I can truthfully say is graphite shafts do not feel light, they certainly make them feel like steel in terms of weight.  The shafts made today are not your typical whippy iron shafts from 20 years ago.  Kids playing the game now that end up on tour in 15-20 years will most likely be playing graphite.  It just inevitable.

I can say that my left elbow has been killing me lately, made the switch to graphite and have not had this problem.  It really does make a difference.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5*

Stealth+ 3W

Stealth+ 5W

Honma TR20V 5-GW

Edel SMS 54/58

Custom Built Putter by Myself

Years and years ago, I got "fit" - really, sold in a rush - into Cobras with graphite shafts of all things. They were floppy and messy. I then moved on to Rocketbladez with steel shafts and now play AP1s with steel shafts.

However, I recently put graphite shafts into my 4 and 5 irons. Those clubs went from just manageable to absolutely in the mix now.

I have Recoil 780 ES SMACWRAPs in them.

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I replaced my modus 130 for steelfibers 110s this year for two reasons: 1) elbow and wrist pain returned (modus offered some relief coming from PX but ultimately came back) and 2) experiencing late round fatigue. Im goin on 40 now and just thought why not. I chose steelfibers bc they allow to build at longer lengths without comprising swingweights too much, which in hindsight, wasnt needed because i ended up adding headweight anyways to get them to “feel” right. Lost a total of 15g per club. So far i really like them, but wish i woulda at least tried mmt, but was afraid of the swingweight thing.

If LAGP ever releases Texas Rebar I'll be a graphite guy.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

I play Catalyst 100 and my son plays MMT 125 at my suggestion. I’m 47 hes 16. The difference in pain is hard to believe actually and the shaft performance is every bit as good as steel. Wish I would have had the quality of shafts available now when I was my sons age.  I’m a plus 2, and former club pro and my iron play is as good as ever. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Switched from Lz 6.0 (120g) and Elevate Tour X (122g) in my last 2 sets to a set of Recoil 110 F5’s (110g) and absolutely love them. I do wish they were in the 115-120g range as they are just a tad light. But I’ve been able to make it work just fine. 
Really wanting to try the Mmt in the 125 range for that additional weight. 

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

Been playing graphite in my irons for more than 20 years now.

• 1st set was stock graphite in a set of TM 320's - and they worked out great.  a 95 gm shaft made for TM by Fujikura.   Might have been a bit on the light side coming from DG's but the relief of not having to deal with the pain any more made me not really care about how good a fit they might have been.
  • 2nd was stock in a set of Ping's (i5's) - and they were HORRIBLE despite being "fit" into them - (although now that I know better it wasn't really much of a fitting.)  Too light and way too soft.
  • 3rd set - after doing my own research and testing, I found shaft that really was a good shaft - Aldila vs-proto 100 custom ordered in a set of Cally RazrX tour's.
  • 4th set.  VS-proto's working great - no need to change so got another set for some TM SLDR heads.
  • 5th Aerotech FC90's  in Cally Rogue Tour's.  Was still happy with the previous set but won the shafts in a contest here.  I wasn't actually thinking of moving on from the vs-proto's but Aldila stopped making them.   The FC90's actually turned out to be a nice transition from the vs-proto's as age and shoulder surgery started to slow down the swing.

• Like 1

Aldila RIP Tour 90 "Reg" flex for me for about 6-7 years.  I still love them, but I can't find any more.  I need something for my next build. Steelfibers and TGI haven't worked out for me. 

[color=#0000ff]Titleist TSR3 8*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 15*[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Srixon ZX Utility 23[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone 221CB 6-PW[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Miura 50, 54, 58C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]