Your 4 iron spot-iron,hybrid, FW or driving iron?

VanTheMan0519

In my prior set-up, I played Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten irons with set 4i. Also carried a 4H.

The CBPTs were hollow headed, and I refitted the set 22* 4i from KBS Tour 90 steel to a SteelFiber 780 HLS hybrid shaft. The reshaft gave me a solid driving iron - a lower, hot trajectory - and a club for approaches into wind out of good fairway lie.

The 4H, both the current Callaway and an earlier Cobra, launched the ball higher and about 15 yards longer on carry.

In my current MAX iron set-up, the irons have slightly stronger lofts and lighter shafts. I'm getting about 10 yards longer with irons, so the new 5i flies about as long as the old 4i, plus higher and with more spin.

The 4H has stayed in the bag, with the two fairways shown in sig line.

Note: the new MAX irons did not arrive until early October, so I'll need a few spring rounds to figure out the actual distance yardstick.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

He uses a Titleist 718 tmb 4 24*..it’s okay.  

Jack Pearsall suspects their are probably better options.

• Haha 1

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I’ve found that for my needs gapping and utility wise (after trying many setups) that going 3 wedges is functional.

Driver 8,25°, TSi3

3 wood 15° SIM2 Max

7 wood 20,25° TSi2

3 UT 20° U505

4 iron 23° Vapor Pro Combo

The 7 wood head is still small enough to use it as a rough club, while I hit it longer than the 3 UT. The UT is my go to FW finder for shorter holes, and even though it’s wide soled and bulky, I can flight it little lower in the wind. For those calm summer days on shorter courses I adjust my 7W up in loft and add another wedge.

Carry numbers (meters):

Driver, 235

3W, 215

7W, 200

3UT, 190

4i, 175

Driver: Titleist TSr2 9

Woods: TM Qi10 3HL & 7

Irons: Titleist T200 UT 4, T150 5, Artisan LS720MB 6-9

Wedges: Artisan LS720 MB 47, 51S, 55SB, 59DS

Putter: Odyssey Ai-ONE Milled Seven T CH

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Jones Trouper R

Toyed with a 4h recently , but a windy day poked holes all in that . Down wind it was “ touch em all “ home runs everywhere.  Good lord would it launch and go.  

went back and did some adjusting on the 4 iron.  Took it another degree upright , and added a few grams of lead  tape and got it in balance feel wise.  And all is well.   Put the x forged UT 3 iron back in and my setup goes like this now 

driver 

300 mini 13.5 

4 wood 17 

X forged uT 3 iron 21 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4i driving iron for me. Will probably replace the 5 iron with a similar "driving iron" head in the future. 

The main reason: I don't wear out my long irons as fast as my 6-pw. And with the increasing cost of irons, it's simply cheaper to buy a 6-PW set vs a 4-PW.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

Gear Effect I think is a big reason why we see so many different setups and opinions, in relation to strike variations and swing.  Set iron = maybe no gear effect, DI/UI = little, Hybrid = more, FW = most.  Helps to explain hooks on hybrids and woods (maybe more on hybrid with little face bulge), flyer type low spin shots, a little bigger dispersion every direction. 

*If you strike center all the time, you can make anything work.*

Fast and aggressive - possibly bigger strike variation:  Might prefer set iron or DI/UI. YMMV

Smooth, controlled, maybe not as fast or aggressive - possibly tight strike pattern (thinking a lot of LPGA swings):  Might prefer the ease of a hybrid without seeing big misses that faster more strike-varied people can see.  A fast swinger might dial down to this too..  YMMV

It's possible a 7 wood length gives people "easy speed" so they're not going so hard, even the more aggressive swingers, for pretty consistent strike pattern. Also YMMV!

This is why I think shorter length hybrids/irons at this spot can benefit me and others to go at it hard with less misses.  But whatever, YMMV lol.

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

41 minutes ago, joostin said:

Gear Effect I think is a big reason why we see so many different setups and opinions, in relation to strike variations and swing.  Set iron = maybe no gear effect, DI/UI = little, Hybrid = more, FW = most.  Helps to explain hooks on hybrids and woods (maybe more on hybrid with little face bulge), flyer type low spin shots, a little bigger dispersion every direction. 

*If you strike center all the time, you can make anything work.*

Fast and aggressive - possibly bigger strike variation:  Might prefer set iron or DI/UI. YMMV

Smooth, controlled, maybe not as fast or aggressive - possibly tight strike pattern (thinking a lot of LPGA swings):  Might prefer the ease of a hybrid without seeing big misses that faster more strike-varied people can see.  A fast swinger might dial down to this too..  YMMV

It's possible a 7 wood length gives people "easy speed" so they're not going so hard, even the more aggressive swingers, for pretty consistent strike pattern. Also YMMV!

This is why I think shorter length hybrids/irons at this spot can benefit me and others to go at it hard with less misses.  But whatever, YMMV lol.

I can thin a 9wd & still hold the green - easily

thin a 4i & one is lucky to hit the green much less hold

Center strikes mean squat.....its the misses that count - more of where my bad shots end up

7wd is a 3i

Edited by animalgolfs

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

40 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

I can thin a 9wd & still hold the green - easily

thin a 4i & one is lucky to hit the green much less hold

Center strikes mean squat.....its the misses that count - more of where my bad shots end up

7wd is a 3i

Right, gear effect can help in that case.  It'll help gear higher spin with a thin 9 wood, but nothing for a 4 iron, even if they have the same loft at impact.  Gear effect might hurt though on toe or heel strikes by amplifying a draw or fade.  Low strike gears higher spin, high strike gears lower spin just like driver.  Hey, whatever works and is comfortable is cool.

• Like 1

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I now carry 3-6 hybrids. And I probably could drop the 3 and not miss it too much. The 6 is an experiment but it could possibly stay in the bag.

PXG 0211 12° driver with Project X Cypher shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Srixon Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° and 22° 3 and 4 hybrids w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

Maltby KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid with KuroKage Black shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid 
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

Cleveland CBX2 50° GW w/Rotex wedge flex shaft
Maltby M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
Cleveland  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

I had to double take to be sure I didn't start this thread. That spot has been a revolving door in my bag. 

I'm in a major testing/transition phase as the moment. 

Clubs currently in my possession and vying for a spot at the top end of the bag: 

Ping G425 LST 8*

TM 300 Mini 11.5* - OR - Ping G400 Stretch 13* - OR TM SIM Ti 14* Rocket

SIM Max 5W - OR - TEE CB Pro U 16* - OR -  Titleist TSi3 20* Hybrid - OR Ping G20 4w (Old faithful)

ZX5 4i - OR Titleist TSi3 20* Hybrid  (Tried eleventy billion utility irons here....didn't love any of them).

I'm a high ball hitter, so even 4i isn't a low bullet type of club for me, and sometimes hybrids can fly way too high. The TSi3 with a Tensei White 100X flies fairly flat, but then when it does, it can often be too long for the 4i slot. Thought about bending the 5i a degree or 2 strong and going 

Driver, Mini, 5w, 3h, 5i-PW, etc. 

The mini might get turned down to 9.5* and knock the driver out all together, so lots of transition, but I only play 3 wedges at the bottom, so that 4i slot is just always in flux. 

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

On 1/3/2022 at 9:55 PM, doctorgriffo said:

Has anyone taken a GI/SGI 4 iron (the lofts of these seem to be in the high teens loft) and stuck a decent shaft in there? The amount of offset might be a bit of a challenge (but my ballflight is left to right and I don’t get the hooks) and if the goal is a straight, easy to hit club then I’ve always wondered if this would work. For example, you can put a steelfiber 115 (which I have in my other irons) in the PXG GI iron in their current sale and just buy a 3 or 4 iron. I guess it might launch a bit high if you have tons of speed, but the loft is very low in these. Be interested to know if anyone has tried this. 

We have all tried it and why JDay never stuck with that M2 2i he was hitting 285yards.  They are FUGLY and hard to get over the off set, hands forward and how thick and long the heads are.  

I have a s55 sets with i25 4-5irons and those are hard enough to play.  

As a couple have said on here its about the course you are playing, conditions and what works for your gaps.  I am always messing around with this too.  I have 2x hybrids, 7 and 5 woods, driving irons, long irons.  Mostly to tinker but when I find something that works and I can hit I keep it around for the courses and conditions.  

If you are a high handicap stick with 1x set up.  Just easier and allows for consistency.  Lower sticks have fun playing with different looks. 

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

I carry both a 4 hybrid (21*) and a 4 iron (21*) now.  Originally when I got a new set of irons last year I ordered just a 5-PW, but I found I had a pretty significant gap between the 4 hybrid and my 5 iron so I ordered a 4 iron which is the same loft as the 4 hybrid.  For me the 4 iron carries 190-200 yards and is the club I use for tee shots on some short, tight par 4 holes or when I need a long second shot into the wind.  The 4 hybrid with its longer shaft carries 210-220 depending on conditions and is also used on tee shots on short par 4 holes that have a little more open fairway.  I also tend to use it more for the second shot on par 5 holes than my 3 metal depending on the lie and how narrow the landing area is.  Even though both clubs have the same loft the difference in the length of the shaft and the club face results in about a 10 yard difference in carry distance.

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

I go:

Driver

3w+5w

3 hybrid 

Adams XTD black 4i with Tour ADI 85 DI shaft cut to 5 iron length for gapping 

Ap2 715 5i down

I could easily play the set 4i but it’s much harder to hit the high floating shot for our par 3 @ 215 yards with it than with the Adams. 

Our course has savage rough hence the hybrid. It gets swapped out for a driving iron for 90% of away days. 

I’m a firm believer that going more GI in the longer irons as opposed to hybrids will suit the majority of players.

I very rarely see length of club being altered to get the gapping right for blended sets as opposed to adjusting lofts. Our pro always does length first to get it as close as possible and then final tweaks with loft if needs be. I massively prefer this approach as the shaft length reduction allows for more control also. 

For me the three options are almost interchangeable. So it actually depends on what I think ill find for conditions. 

The more rough I will play in.. I'll use a 21° FW/Hybrid style club, its longer than the other two but great out of cabbage. Mild rough and it's a 21° hybrid. Muni style golf and it's the 21° 4 i. Given a very clean lie all three go as far and react nearly the same. Only the FW/Hybrid club will fly higher than the other two. 

All the fours here.

4 wood @ 16.5, need the higher launch because I like fairway woods much shorter than stock

4 hybrid @ 20.25, hollow body and hotter face make enough of a gap difference with the 4 iron

4 iron t100 @ 24, it's already a progressively larger club than the rest of the set. Plus it’s fun to hit.

also have played 

smaller 4 hybrid like an Adams pro @ 23

3 driving iron @ 19

3 wood @ 15

Still using a 4 iron in the 4 iron slot, with each of the three sets that worked their way thru my bag during 2021.  Will keep the 4i in play for 2022.

If it matters...  using a 3i above that, it's the 17* - 18* slot where more variation happens in my bag.  Used a hybrid much of the year, going to try an MP20 HMB in that slot.  Got it at end of season, managed one round with it, shows promise.

Have been thinking of replacing the 3i and maybe 4i with a Maltby TS1 or perhaps a Sub 70 699 Pro, but its all just prospective at this point.

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Interestingly on this topic, I was looking at Shane Lowry's WITB last night and saw that he has 3 of the 4 options. 

Lowry goes 5W (TM M5 19*), UT (ZX 20*), and 4i (ZX5 22*): https://www.golfwrx.com/666698/shane-lowry-witb-2021-december/

Obviously there's a trade off, so for him at the bottom of his bag he's only got PW-50*-58* for wedges.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I’ve done this dance until landing on my current irons. I started playing Zx7s this year and it’s the first in the last 3 sets I’ve played (Mizuno HMB, TM770, Mizuno MMC) that I’ve found the 4 iron to be the right fit. 

I’ve rotated a TM UDI and DHY iron in, a 4 hybrid, and 4 irons from the set. Until the Zx7s I wasn’t finding anything I loved or that gapped correctly. 

Can’t say enough good things about the Srixons.

• Like 1

I'm currently using a Cobra F9 21° hybrid and I like it (put it in the bag mid-summer). I also have a forged tec 4 iron, but it's only seen basement sim swings. I have the 5 iron in the bag and really like it, so one day I might get crazy and try it on the course. I worry that it will fly too low. Some days that's good and some days that's not. I probably wouldn't use it off the tee as a lay up club that often, because my 5 wood has won that jobs hands down.

I've messed around between a 4 hybrid and a 4 iron for years. With my swing, I tend to make way more consistent contact with the 4 iron. My hybrid ends up either going 180 or 220, nothing in between. My 4 iron is generally a solid 195-200 total distance which is exactly what I need. It also helped switching to JPX HM Pro irons, if I was still playing the JPX forged I would most likely be using the hybrid, the 4 iron on the HM Pro is ridiculously forgiving.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

I still play my set 4 iron, though the 223s look really good and are tempting for a bit more help vs the MP-20 MB. I have more issues 1 spot up the bag where I have a TSi2 7 wood and T200 3 iron currently battling it out. T200 is the early leader. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

hybrid

one of the best golf decisions i ever made a few years ago.

in fact i play a 3-4-5 hybrid...

easier to hit (fairway or rough), forgiveness, long, etc.

ask yourself, how many holes are you hitting driver and then hybrid? cant be many at all. so then why not hit driver then hybrid on par 5s? or long par 3 hybrid?

handicaps dont matter but im a 5 and i still play game improvement hybrids. when i have playing partners hit 3-4-5 irons not well i ask myself why!

I have a 22 degree hybrid but  that's really my 3iron since I haven't switched to jacked lofts yet. I'm going to test some newer irons soon though, then probably skip right over 4iron to the 5iron since most 5's are 25-26degrees these days. 

My hybrid is an original TM rescueTP I put an s300 2iron shaft in. So maybe a slightly more player geared hybrid in your 4iron slot might be worth trying? 

For what it's worth I carry a 18* 5w as my next club down from my 22. I hit the 22  205yds. and have tried several newer 19* hybrids but the gap is less than 10yds.. I went down to a 17* and finally got to 218, which I might try. I like a 5w off the tee but think a hybrid would be better off the deck for me. 

Edited by ezra76