Moving from Blades to P970's. Lazy?

Tgolfer66

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

Absolutely. On a par 3 for instance. I’d rather pure my 919 and be just off the green, than slightly mishit my T300 hear and feel the “ting” and be on the green. Like you said, we all have our reasons for playing this great game. 

Interesting take on the game. But that’s the beauty of it, for me it’s all about making my bad shots better.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Not as extreme,  but I went from a players iron to the 770s, haven't regretted it.   My scores haven't gone down,  but it's a lot less work to maintain my handicap, especially since I don't have as much time to practice.   

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

As someone who’s made a similar move, scores may not go down but they do become more consistent.  I have my league scores tracked for my last 3 sets, mc’s, 770s and 790s.  While my lowest round with all 3 was the same, my highest was with the mc’s and my lowest average was with the 790s.  My point…it’s fun to shoot low rounds more often.  Take the plunge!!!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tgolfer66 said:

After trying a buddies P790's I'm thinking of moving from Mizuno blades to P790's. I have plenty of distance and still play decent (4ish hcp) just figure I why not make golf easier. Am I just being lazy or are others doing this?

I tend to hover between +1 and +3 throughout the summer and I'm going to be testing the same thing this spring. I'm switching from combinations of P7TW and P7MC to a full set of P790. My approach play is statistically the weakest part of my game, so I want to see if some technology help in the irons will improve that. 

It's not lazy. It's all about shooting lower scores. If my approach play stats are better with the P790s after the first month, I'll keep them in the bag as my tournament season begins. If not, I'll go back to my other irons.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2024)

My WITB Post

Play what you enjoy hitting. That's really all that matters. 

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

5 hours ago, TiScape said:

Absolutely. On a par 3 for instance. I’d rather pure my 919 and be just off the green, than slightly mishit my T300 hear and feel the “ting” and be on the green. Like you said, we all have our reasons for playing this great game. 

Sorry, not in a demeaning way, but a 919 forged is more a GI iron than a "players" club. And since they can come in the forged variety, similar to what you are getting from the 919 forged, you can get both help and a decent feel from a GI iron.

5 hours ago, TiScape said:

Repost

Edited by sadclevelandsports

16 hours ago, GHIN n Juice said:

As someone who’s made a similar move, scores may not go down but they do become more consistent.  I have my league scores tracked for my last 3 sets, mc’s, 770s and 790s.  While my lowest round with all 3 was the same, my highest was with the mc’s and my lowest average was with the 790s.  My point…it’s fun to shoot low rounds more often.  Take the plunge!!!

what did u think the difference was between the 770 and 790

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

13 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

what did u think the difference was between the 770 and 790

770 flight was higher and they were almost a club shorter but that was most likely due to the difference in loft.  I did not notice a substantial difference in forgiveness but there is definitely some.  For me the biggest difference was the sole and turf interaction.  770s are so much better especially if you are a used to taking a nice divot.

• Like 1

not lazy, you do you.

To add to the score changing topic, - My experience: I went from J40CB's to fitted 718 AP1's, my miss is a low pull, the low pull with the J40's were just left and just short, the AP1's were OB or put me in a real bad situation.

Friend of mine was fit for 2019 790s a couple years ago....  He gamed them with some real success getting down to a +.5.  Eventually he was looking for more height in his long irons and got fit for a set of 0311T.  He got the height he wanted but for some reason had trouble in a lot of other areas.  Cap went up to a 3 and he has since gone back to the 790 and is putting up some great scores again.  I do think if you can find the right set up in a more forgiving iron, they will be beneficial on those "not so great" strikes which is what we are all trying to improve on.  Thinking of going this route now myself honestly.

• Like 2

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

On 3/17/2022 at 6:03 PM, Tgolfer66 said:

After trying a buddies P790's I'm thinking of moving from Mizuno blades to P790's. I have plenty of distance and still play decent (4ish hcp) just figure I why not make golf easier. Am I just being lazy or are others doing this?

With all due respect, it’s your game, who the hell cares what someone else thinks about what you use to play.  4HC is awesome, 95% of the players on the course can’t sniff a 4HC.  So let your scores do the talking!

On 3/17/2022 at 5:03 PM, Tgolfer66 said:

Do whatever makes you happy! I was playing GI irons for the longest time. A few years ago I got to single digits to as low as a 6. I started to look at players irons because I felt that I was ready for better players irons and they look so good plus my buddies got into club hoeing. LOL 

Well, I am now back to GI irons and my score has been the same but I tend to practice less now, so I need all the help I can get. Sure I heard some jokes from my buddies who were gaming HMB's, 770's and the likes but I all beat them all so far.

2 hours ago, msg said:

Do whatever makes you happy! I was playing GI irons for the longest time. A few years ago I got to single digits to as low as a 6. I started to look at players irons because I felt that I was ready for better players irons and they look so good plus my buddies got into club hoeing. LOL 

Well, I am now back to GI irons and my score has been the same but I tend to practice less now, so I need all the help I can get. Sure I heard some jokes from my buddies who were gaming HMB's, 770's and the likes but I all beat them all so far.

what kind of GI irons are u rockin?

1 hour ago, Htk084 said:

what kind of GI irons are u rockin?

I got Cobra Fly Z irons from 2015 for like $200 from 4 iron to AW. I had no idea how good these were. I was supposed to go with a brand new set Mizuno Hot Metal 921's but I changed my mind and went with the Cobra's  just to piss off my buddies even more. lol I'll stay with these Cobra's for a season or two and maybe I'll finally get fit for a new set. 

For the longest time I was playing 714 AP1's.  Those irons I used and kept for like 4 seasons and when I got better I tried so many irons - JPX900 Forged, Cobra Forgedtec 2021, Cobra F9's, Srixon 585's and 785's, T300's.  While forged players irons are indeed good looking and feels good, I just am comfortable playing these chunky GI irons. I don't shape the ball and I often aim at the middle of the green and I have become so lazy to practice. I guess they suit what my current situation is right now. 

6 hours ago, msg said:

I got Cobra Fly Z irons from 2015 for like $200 from 4 iron to AW. I had no idea how good these were. I was supposed to go with a brand new set Mizuno Hot Metal 921's but I changed my mind and went with the Cobra's  just to piss off my buddies even more. lol I'll stay with these Cobra's for a season or two and maybe I'll finally get fit for a new set. 

For the longest time I was playing 714 AP1's.  Those irons I used and kept for like 4 seasons and when I got better I tried so many irons - JPX900 Forged, Cobra Forgedtec 2021, Cobra F9's, Srixon 585's and 785's, T300's.  While forged players irons are indeed good looking and feels good, I just am comfortable playing these chunky GI irons. I don't shape the ball and I often aim at the middle of the green and I have become so lazy to practice. I guess they suit what my current situation is right now. 

You sound just like me.  Hit it to the middle of the greens don’t shape the shot and just want something consistent and make the game easier.  I’m lookin at the ping G irons for this.   Thanks for the reply 👍

• Like 2

I am always fascinated when someone says his choice in iron, "is about making his bad shot better."  Lot of people believe that, and that's fine.  Thankfully, we're all different with different skill levels, expectations and goals.  That's what's great about golf as opposed to any other activity or sports I have been a part of.

Keeping that in mind, I want to be the one that makes my bad shot better, and have the club impact the ball and the ball do what it's told.  I also accept responsibly for the bad shots, that's part of it.  Nevertheless, good ball striking is maybe the most satisfying part of golf for me.  Looking at the ball, creating a shot plan and making the ball travel in the manner I envisioned, in other words, let my ball striking determine my score.  

A week or so back, full carry over ravine, 187yd Par 3, pin back right, left to right wind. I pulled 620 4i and hit a baby fade beauty that landed 180+yds checked and rolled right towards the pin, 6' leave...birdie!  The ball did what it was told, and because I executed my shot plan, the gratitude resonates in my memory still, till I can do it again.  Positive feedback fathers more positive results.

This brings to mind Kevin Na's sales pitch when signing on with Callaway.  He as much as said, his skill wasn't good enough as it was, he needed help meeting the cut challenge.  Even though I understand the need to make cuts, that statement turned me off to him, and why I am a fan of J.Thomas. and a few others...they are ball strikers.  For me, it's NOT about how many wins a tour player has it's how he tackles his profession.  As an ardent fan I support the most skilled out there, not someone that puts his skill in the back seat and lets the clubs make or break him.

PS, sad that some people rather look for excuses.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

13 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I am always fascinated when someone says his choice in iron, "is about making his bad shot better."  Lot of people believe that, and that's fine.  Thankfully, we're all different with different skill levels, expectations and goals.  That's what's great about golf as opposed to any other activity or sports I have been a part of.

Keeping that in mind, I want to be the one that makes my bad shot better, and have the club impact the ball and the ball do what it's told.  I also accept responsibly for the bad shots, that's part of it.  Nevertheless, good ball striking is maybe the most satisfying part of golf for me.  Looking at the ball, creating a shot plan and making the ball travel in the manner I envisioned, in other words, let my ball striking determine my score.  

A week or so back, full carry over ravine, 187yd Par 3, pin back right, left to right wind. I pulled 620 4i and hit a baby fade beauty that landed 180+yds checked and rolled right towards the pin, 6' leave...birdie!  The ball did what it was told, and because I executed my shot plan, the gratitude resonates in my memory still, till I can do it again.  Positive feedback fathers more positive results.

This brings to mind Kevin Na's sales pitch when signing on with Callaway.  He as much as said, his skill wasn't good enough as it was, he needed help meeting the cut challenge.  Even though I understand the need to make cuts, that statement turned me off to him, and why I am a fan of J.Thomas. and a few others...they are ball strikers.  For me, it's NOT about how many wins a tour player has it's how he tackles his profession.  As an ardent fan I support the most skilled out there, not someone that puts his skill in the back seat and lets the clubs make or break him.

Pepper, I like how you think. I personally have played my best rounds of golf with blades. I love trying new stuff all of the time. Recently acquired a nice set of Wilson Staff FG59 Tour blades for a song. They are easily the smallest blade I've owned and I can't wait to get them on the course. I've been practicing with them along side my Maltby DBM's (which look enormous next to the Fg59). With the Fg59. I feel like I have a precision instrument in my hand. I never think about what will happen with a mishit. Instead, I'm focused hitting a specific shot and love the gratification of pulling it off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2022 at 5:09 AM, Tgolfer66 said:

The 790’s come with dg105’s. Has anyone put something heavier in them? X100/px6.5 or modus 125x? 

Play with PX 6.5's and enjoy them.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

Pretty sure no one here is thinking that terrible swings, and bad shots are going to magically become good ones. But if a more forgiving club is the difference between being short in that water, or safe on the other side when making decent but not perfect contact, it’s pretty much a simple choice.  But you guys go in the water if that makes you happy.  If you’re a tour pro than you can count on perfect contact 99% of the time, and it’s not an issue for you.  The rest of us mortals will use what we think will help us the most.