Low-profile, forgiving, easy to launch fairway woods

ChristopherMcDonald

Alright guys need some help. I'm looking for some fairway woods to potentially replace my 2007 Burner Fairways. 

Short list of wants:

1. Low Profile - specifically a shallow face; not opposed to a slightly larger footprint.

2. Easy to hit/Forgiving - Apparently I still need some help getting the ball in the air. My miss is low on the face 

3. Preferably from the last couple of years to benefit from whatever tech advancements have been out there.

4. Sound - preferably a muted/solid/less tinny type of sound (Cobra LTD's sound great, but I can't hit them to save my life)

EDIT: Please do your best to avoid dropping in your favorite better-players-club. I'm a 20 handicap and almost all of my strokes are lost off the tee/long second shots. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by ChristopherMcDonald
  • Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

I'd say Ping G410 LST but option #4 rules that out a bit unless you get hotmelt in the head. Other options I'd say Callaway is pretty shallow and the TSI woods are not bad, but those Ping fairways are shallow. I'm a mid to high teen cap and I was fitted into the LST and I hit it fine for a 159cc head. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

8 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I'd say Ping G410 LST but option #4 rules that out a bit unless you get hotmelt in the head. Other options I'd say Callaway is pretty shallow and the TSI woods are not bad, but those Ping fairways are shallow. I'm a mid to high teen cap and I was fitted into the LST and I hit it fine for a 159cc head. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the LST heads lower spin and therefore less forgiving/harder to get up?

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

SIM or SIM MAX.  They tend to be larger profile but are easy to launch off the tee and deck and are shallow face.  Forgiving as well. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Just now, Jeff58 said:

Rogue Sub Zero with Evenflow Blue.

Not very forgiving as I understand it.

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

Callaway Mavrik Max has a nice shallow profile that hugs the ground. It's ridiculously easy to launch. In fact, I'm currently switching the shaft out in mine because I find it launches too high. It definitely has a larger footprint than most, FWIW.

I'm not sure how to describe the sound. I wouldn't call it "tinny", but I also don't think it's as deep and muted as the Cobra F9 I have. Solid crack is what I'd say.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

3 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

My first thought was Tour Edge.  You could go back to the XCG7 or E8 (2nd Swing has some of each on their site as I type), which are low profile, forgiving, and have that TEE "stupid hot" rep.

Only bummer with TEE is testing. I go in for a Driver fitting Saturday and hope to hit some 3 woods as well. Golf Tec (at least the location I'm going to) are basically limited to the large brands

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

4 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

Callaway Mavrik Max has a nice shallow profile that hugs the ground. It's ridiculously easy to launch. In fact, I'm currently switching the shaft out in mine because I find it launches too high. It definitely has a larger footprint than most, FWIW.

I'm not sure how to describe the sound. I wouldn't call it "tinny", but I also don't think it's as deep and muted as the Cobra F9 I have. Solid crack is what I'd say.

My pops recently put these into play, I certainly don't mind the sound. Solid crack I would say is accurate. For sure the wrong flex but I'll have to give them a wag next time I'm with him

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

As mentioned above, ping g425 Max fairway is super easy to launch and is very hot off the face.  The sound is very “tinny” though.  You can fit with hot melt, but it will change the swing weight some.  They are already on the heavy side so just be cautious if you go that route.

Don’t rule out Cobra.  Their fairways are some of the best looking and feel and sound fantastic!  Easy to launch as well.  Not incredibly shallow, but not overly deep either.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

Just now, wam78 said:

As mentioned above, ping g425 Max fairway is super easy to launch and is very hot off the face.  The sound is very “tinny” though.  You can fit with hot melt, but it will change the swing weight some.  They are already on the heavy side so just be cautious if you go that route.

Don’t rule out Cobra.  Their fairways are some of the best looking and feel and sound fantastic!  Easy to launch as well.  Not incredibly shallow, but not overly deep either.

Unfortunately I won't be able to hit the more forgiving cobra offerings at my fitting but I can probably get my hands on some at Roger Dunn.

Never really got along with the ping fairways, the sound being a big issue

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

1 hour ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the LST heads lower spin and therefore less forgiving/harder to get up?

It's not that hard to get up, you can easily go into the regular G410 which is a larger footprint. The LST is just more compact. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I played a Ping G400 7w for a couple of years and its hits all of your criteria. I have not seen or hit the G410 or G425 but I can't see how they'd be much different.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

The latest version of the Adams Tight Lies fairway wood features an invisible slot for improved aesthetics.  Lives up to the Tight Lies name by being incredibly easy to elevate from any lie.  Surprisingly long.

Introduction

The original Tight Lies is such a great golf club that you can still find it in play on plenty of courses.  Players love the fact that it’s easy to elevate from absolutely any lie on the course: fairway, rough, bunkers, or hardpan.  So how did Adams make this latest version of the Tight Lies better?  They made it long…really long.

Adams Tight Lies Fairway Wood (13)

Looks

As you can see, the Adams Tight Lies fairway wood combines a clean matte black crown with an appealing pear shape.  What allows for this clean look is the Ghost Slot Technology – this club does have Adams’s velocity slot but it’s filled with a gel to make it look like a traditional club.

The footprint is average to just a touch smaller than average.  The other thing you’ll notice is that the face is shallow which really helps to boost confidence when hitting it from the turf, but may bother some players when hitting from the tee.

Adams Tight Lies Fairway Wood (10)

Sound & Feel

• Like 2

I have an Epic Max 3+ wood that is ridiculously easy to launch; I tend to deloft and the Max version helps fight that.  Reasonably small 179cc and shallow.  I also have a Maverick 4W non max version but I would recommend going max to help with the launch aspect. 

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

My first thought was Tour Edge.  You could go back to the XCG7 or E8 (2nd Swing has some of each on their site as I type), which are low profile, forgiving, and have that TEE "stupid hot" rep.

I thought of those too.  Excellent advice. 

To the OP, proper shaft selection has a great deal to do with ease of getting though the ball and elevating the ball.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Recently fitted for three wood. Thinking I would end up with the 425LST or SIM. Walked away with the Sim2 MAX. It is stupid easy to hit and flies. 

I think the profile is shallow-ish?

Edited by Bunker2Bunker
  • Like 1

G430 LST 10.5* (Ventus Velocore Black 5S)
SIM2 MAX 15* (Ventus Blue 6S)

G425 7w (Tensei RO 75S)
G430 4h (Tour 2.0 85S)

T300 5-P, 48 (PX LZ 6.0)
SM9 Raw 54s (@53) (DGS200)

SM9 Raw 58s (DG Spinner)

Newport 2 Studio Style

30 minutes ago, Steele47 said:

The latest version of the Adams Tight Lies fairway wood features an invisible slot for improved aesthetics.  Lives up to the Tight Lies name by being incredibly easy to elevate from any lie.  Surprisingly long.

Introduction

The original Tight Lies is such a great golf club that you can still find it in play on plenty of courses.  Players love the fact that it’s easy to elevate from absolutely any lie on the course: fairway, rough, bunkers, or hardpan.  So how did Adams make this latest version of the Tight Lies better?  They made it long…really long.

Adams Tight Lies Fairway Wood (13)

Looks

As you can see, the Adams Tight Lies fairway wood combines a clean matte black crown with an appealing pear shape.  What allows for this clean look is the Ghost Slot Technology – this club does have Adams’s velocity slot but it’s filled with a gel to make it look like a traditional club.

The footprint is average to just a touch smaller than average.  The other thing you’ll notice is that the face is shallow which really helps to boost confidence when hitting it from the turf, but may bother some players when hitting from the tee.

Adams Tight Lies Fairway Wood (10)

Sound & Feel

bagging this hybrid. Depending on how it plays (just got it) I may look into these. Do like the compact look from address and in my limited use of the hybrid, seems very forgiving. 

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

I would say the Callaway Rogue or the Epic Flash (not the sub zero versions).  I have tried just about every fairway wood out there over the past couple of years and nothing has kicked the Rogue out of the bag.  It is long, forgiving, easy to launch off the deck and fantastic off the tee.  It checks all the boxes for me, the only ones that have come close to it was the TS3 and 915F.  However, I am intrigued by the Sim Max, but at this point it would take an act of congress for me to take the Rogue out of the bag.

• Like 1

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

Tight lies would be my choice and they do make new ones, the problem would be shaft selection from their website, but the 2013 and 2014 can be had online, and there hasn’t been any substantial changes since then. They are going to have a maxed out COR like all the OEMS 

Maybe a Tour Edge Exotics C521 they come in higher lofts than most 5 woods at 19* 

https://shop.touredge.com/products/tour-edge-hot-launch-c521-fairway-wood?variant=33025817411693

On 6/24/2021 at 11:30 AM, NRJyzr said:

The more recent EXS and EXS 220 are probably in your zipcode, though I don't know how they are in terms of face depth.

I’d say the EXS 220 is not too shallow, but also not too deep.  A bit larger head, great looks, sound, and feel.  Easy to launch and forgiving.  

• Like 1

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

On 6/24/2021 at 11:30 AM, NRJyzr said:

The more recent EXS and EXS 220 are probably in your zipcode, though I don't know how they are in terms of face depth.

You beat me to it..

I thought of my XCG7's I played until I replaced them with the C721's this yr. 

The XCG7's fit the profile of what the op is looking for..

I going with the C721 though. Not exactly the same profile but I launch them better off the fairway.

• Like 1