2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Reason not to play multiple hybrids?

jetandollie

Now that companies (Ping, PXG, Mizuno, Titleist) are making hybrids up to 28-34* with several shaft options is there a reason that the majority of us should not be playing them to as high a loft as we can find? 

All of the review videos and numbers always show that they go higher, land at a steeper decent angle and are significantly more forgiving and consistent than irons. 

I get that the main point of rebuttal is too high of a ball flight and playing in a windy location, but over the course of 60-80 rounds per year (1500-2000 long/midiron shots) will the shots saved from the forgiveness and higher launch/steeper decent not outweigh the iron mishits or shots lost in the wind? 

Will we get to the point with the way tech in clubs is progressing that the norm will be hybrids to the 6 or 7 iron in most bags? 

Edited by jetandollie
  • Like 2

They take up a lot of space in the bag. I have one hybrid and a GAPR mid and that's enough for me.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Cleveland has been trying to do this for at least a decade now. I don’t think it’ll ever catch on. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Just now, MPAndreassi said:

Cleveland has been trying to do this for at least a decade now. I don’t think it’ll ever catch on. 

Not suggesting to play the entire set down to PW. 

But what percentage of golfers would be more consistent with a 3-4-5-6 hybrid than a 3-4-5-6 iron? If we are being realistic, it is quite low, no? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jetandollie said:

Now that companies (Ping, PXG, Mizuno, Titleist) are making hybrids up to 28-34* with several shaft options is there a reason that the majority of us should not be playing them to as high a loft as we can find? 

All of the review videos and numbers always show that they go higher, land at a steeper decent angle and are significantly more forgiving and consistent than irons. 

I get that the main point of rebuttal is too high of a ball flight and playing in a windy location, but over the course of 60-80 rounds per year (1500-2000 long/midiron shots) will the shots saved from the forgiveness and higher launch/steeper decent not outweigh the iron mishits or shots lost in the wind? 

Will we get to the point with the way tech in clubs is progressing that the norm will be hybrids to the 6 or 7 iron in most bags? 

You will notice many slow swing speed sets (senior/light flex) are hybrid head shape throughout the irons. 

Inability to flighting it down, and difficulty swinging longer shaft, only reasons imo. 

also, I like that my mishits loose ball speed. It more predictable than 130 mph slice

• Like 3

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

4 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

I play with old guys and gals a lot. Cleveland launcher-type irons are pretty prevalent 

• Like 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

29 minutes ago, MPAndreassi said:

Spaulding did it in the 90’s with the Cannon series.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

I have a friend who has recently switched to hybrids for all of his irons through the gap wedge.  I think that he said he ordered a lob wedge also.  Anyway he is hitting a lot more shots into the green that look like golf shots with hybrids.  It it is a little odd to see him hitting a hybrid from 100 yards but if it works it works!  I remember years ago I would see guys carrying all woods I think they went up to a 12 wood or something like that so the concept is nothing new really...

Edited by Nels55
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, cpang05 said:

Price. For the average guy I see at the muni, starting with a 4H, 5H then 6i seems really popular. But those hybrids are half the cost of a full set of irons.

This is exactly my setup.  Don’t have the swing speed for 4 iron and 5 iron.  I was fit into this set and it works.  But cost is definitely a factor!

9 hours ago, jetandollie said:

Not suggesting to play the entire set down to PW. 

But what percentage of golfers would be more consistent with a 3-4-5-6 hybrid than a 3-4-5-6 iron? If we are being realistic, it is quite low, no? 

Hard to put a % on it. I think it's pretty rare to see a 3 iron in the bag these days. And it's getting more and more rare to see a 4 iron. 

The choice to put hybrids in comes down primarily to swing speed. Hitting it high is great and many people need help hitting it higher but there is a point where you can hit it too high. You don't see pros hitting 7 irons 150 feet in the air. Many good players talk about flighting their wedges down to gain control, hitting an 80 yard shot 130 feet in the air doesn't make a ton of sense either (just more than can go wrong at that height). Lastly, I can't remember if it was Ping or Mizuno that did some studies showing that as the club head gets larger/longer it gets a bit harder to control face angle at impact. So while hitting it higher, and having more forgiveness will be helpful for a lot of people, especially high handicappers, there will be reductions in accuracy, especially as you get closer to the green. IMO anyways. 

9 hours ago, jetandollie said:

@jetandollie you might like to check out @Obee’s WITB... lots and lots of hybrids including a 6h/7h 32*(?)

IiRC... @Obee is a single handicapper (scratch?) and club champion

TL;DR: Worth trying higher-lofted hybrids. I use my cobra F7 hybrids everywhere, including 120-130yard punch shots and some greenside chips 🍟 happy golfing!

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

I think a lot of people could benefit from an extra hybrid.  I have always played a 4H, and I cycle between a low-lofted hybrid and 5w to replace the 3i.  I tried a 5H last year too, and I actually liked it quite a bit—easy to elevate and nice results from mishits.  I moved back to a 5i again this year though after finding the DCB incredibly easy to elevate.  What I’ve noticed is that when both are struck well, I tend to get a more consistent ball flight and carry yardage from the iron.  That’s very pleasing to me, but as a higher cap, I’m not always flushing it, so I do have a Ping G425 5H ordered (if it ever ships…) for those rounds where I’m not feeling especially confident with my iron swing.  

• Like 1

Vessel Players III Matte Grey Bag

Titleist TSR2 9° Driver (C1) | Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6s

TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° Mini Driver (-0.75°) | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

TaylorMade Qi10 5 Wood | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 4 Hybrid | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 8s

Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW Irons (1° Weak) | KBS Tour Black Pearl S

Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 54D, 60T Wedges | True Temper DG120 Onyx S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X Proto Putter | KBS Black PVD 

Callaway Chrome Tour X Triple Track Ball

I replaced my 3 and 4 irons with 21° and 24° Adams DHy’s and I’ve been loving them this year. Clubs are a little older but the give me a lot more confidence when standing over the ball. They are not near as big as hybrids but not quite as small as my long irons. I play Adams MB2 irons so they definitely help at the top end of my bag. 

• Like 2

I had two hybrids for a while (19 and 23 degrees) but found the 23 launched too high. I felt I had a bit more control over the ball flight with a 4 iron (at least vertically, not horizontally 🙂 ) and switched to a 21 degree hybrid. I'll even take that out for a 3 iron for when I play a particularly tight local course, where I know I'll have a handful of punches in my round. 

I just can't keep the ball down enough on full swings and punches with anything higher lofted than a 21 degree hybrid. That's important to me. If it wasn't, I'd probably play multiple hybrids. 

Ping G425 Max, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 33.5"

Z-Star Diamond 

Love my 19 3H and my 23 4H. Replaced my 2i and 3i years ago. That 4H is especially easy to hit in wet conditions and out of the rough, unlike a 3i.

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

I think you have two crowds of hybrid users (maybe more): 

1. Those that lack SS or strike consistency to  produce good launch conditions with long iron X and either a chunky hybrid iron, or an actual hybrid provide more consistent results/gapping. 3H common, 4H should be more common, 5H is not a bad idea for many where ego gets in the way 

2. Those who have the speed to hit the long irons but by gawd the hybrid is more forgiving for them either with objective data/LM/results or just the confidence factor

I am squarely in camp 2. I trimmed the shaft of my 23d 4h to be similar to my 23d 4 iron. I still practice with both as on a rare very windy/dry course the 4i can be handy. Distances are similar, hybrid 20ft or so peak height delta.  Dispersion consistency hands down better with the hybrid. 

I know I know...middling a 4i to produce that piercing shot feels so good. On course the 4H gets me out of trouble more 🙂 

• Like 1

I'm 55 now and have slowly come to the realization that I need help as my clubhead speed has slowed. Got a set with softer shafts- 4&5 hybrids, larger headed 6&7 and reg 8-GW. Hitting them great with less effort. Higher and straighter than I have hit shots in 10 years. Not as pretty as my old Mizzy's but I'll take performance over how nice my bag looks anyday. Bottom line- more hybrids is better for me and lowers my scores. 

• Like 2

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

I currently have 3H, 4H, 5H, and 6H in the bag, all PING G25.  The 3H has the stock graphite shaft, the 4, 5, and 6 all have Tour V 110.  My irons have the Tour V 120, so I used the 110 in the hybrids just to reduce weight a bit.  I find the hybrids are quite a bit easier to hit than the longer irons, and that is saying something considering the irons are G25s.  That 6H is freaking fun to hit, let me tell ya.  I did try a set of the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo irons, but they weren't for me.  I had them from 4 iron all the way through GW, and found I just hit the G25s better.  I prefer a traditional hybrid head shape, and it was just weird looking down at the Clevelands.  I also hit the Cleveland long irons lower than the G25 hybids, which I did not like.  I am in the group that has plenty of swing speed to hit the longer irons, but I just prefer the ease of use and confidence from hitting hybrids.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

Have a Cally 2 hybrid at 17 degrees. But I really think of this more like a fairway wood.

Have G410 3 and 4 hybrids.

I will stop playing a 5 irons when I stop hitting good shots with it. I get plenty of height out of my G410 5 iron. I do know when I make the switch I will never go back like what happened with the 4 hybrid. 

Still like irons better off the tee. 5 and 6 irons are staples in my par three game. 

I will say one thing about 5 and 6 irons though. About four to five years ago the OEMs started making them longer. In my mind when you start going much beyond 23 inches the consistency of the club starts to diminish. And that might have some peeps thinking more about hybrids because if the irons are starting to get unpredictable, that will motivate the move.

For Ping, the length issues started between the Ping G25 and G30. For others the lengths started to increase earlier than that.

Not too hard to shorten an iron. Some might have the answer already in their bag.