How many shots have you made from longer than 100 yards? With what club? List circumstances and golf courses if you wish as well as your handicap.

GoletaGolfer

Hey Everyone, here is a chance to brag a bit about our finest or luckiest moments in this stupid hard game. 

I have been playing for 25 of the past 40 years since I first picked up a club.  Lowest HC was a 5 on a par 71, 69.7 rating.

I think I am very lucky to have holed out as much as I have only being a 5.

Cherry Island: Elverta

Albatross. Driver off the deck from about 240/245 - short par 5.

La Purisma: Lompoc

140 yard uphill 8 iron to back left pin on a shelf to end my calendar year of golf.

7 iron on 18 from 161.  In the dark. 😎

Wild Horse: Davis

Ace - 181 eight iron - landed it short of the green on purpose the greens were so hard. Bounced 5 feet in the air on the first hop.

Bigwood Country Club - Sun Valley ID

Ace, 5 iron 8th hole.  Total fluke. I was about a 30 HC at the time.

Soule Park GC - Ojai

Ace - Hole 3, 130 yds, 9 iron. Half skulled it, but don't tell anyone.

Glen Annie - Goleta

Aces:

Hole 2 - 122 yard knockdown into a stiff breeze with a 9 iron, came back off the slope. Hit it flush this time.

Hole 17 - 182 yards back left pin with a 5 iron draw. Dead nut flush. Could not hit it any better.

Eagles:

9 iron on number 7, back right pin from about 135.  Called the shot, too, almost.  Told my buddy "I am going to hit this one to a foot."

Knock down PW from 125 on hole 12. Spun it left into the cup.

Sand wedge on 13, 105 yards uphill to back right pin.

9 Iron on 13, 130 or so, to same back pin.

Gap wedge from 120 on hole 3.

Runner Up: Playing for a few dollars with my buddy at GA. Hole #3 he hits it to five feet.  "You are going to have to do better than that," says I.  I then proceed to flush a SW right at the pin. It buried itself in the top, back left edge of the cup. We both made three and I won nothing.

Hit 'em straight, gentlemen, and ladies.

Edited by GoletaGolfer
  • Like 2

• GoletaGolfer changed the title to How many shots have you made from longer than 100 yards? With what club? List circumstances and golf courses if you wish as well as your handicap.

First time was in my 30s - 7i from around 150 for Eagle on par 5.  Second time was in my mid/late 50s - hole in one with 9i from around 120.  Third time was last year at 59 - 6i from around 150 on a par 4.  Interesting fact is that I didn't see any of them go in the hole because on all three (and all were different courses), you could only see the top of the flagstick.  The first time it happened, I actually spent about 5 minutes looking for the ball and was cursing up a storm when I couldn't find it because I thought I'd hit a really good shot.  My handicap is that I like to play golf.

• Like 2

Only have ever holed 3 shots longer than 100 yards. 

Par 3-142 yards, PW 

Par 3-121 yards, GW 

Par 5-153 yards, 7 Wood chip slice out of the Trees (Albatross)

+2 handicap, have still never eagled a par 4 with a 2nd shot of longer than 12ish yards hahaha

Edited by b.mattay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

Handicap 5.3

El Caballero CC- 6th hole that plays downhill par 3.  I hit 9 iron that I hit slightly thin.  It hit the green bounced twice then rolled about 5 feet and jarred the pin and went in.  My mother and one of the caddies was witness to it.

E Caballero CC- 16th hole par 3.  I flushed a hard 9 iron into the wind.  It flew over the front bunker towards the pin and disappeared.  I walked to the hole and looked and to my surprise it was there.  No witnesses unfortunately.

Wood Ranch CC- 18th hole par 5.  Hit driver, then skulled a 3 wood.  3rd shot was a duffed 5 iron. 4th shot hit a flushed PW from 162(down wind) which hit 5 feet past the pin bounced once and spun back into the hole for birdie. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I had one in 2012. I was playing in day 1 of the club championship. On hole 10, which is a dogleg par 5. I tee off with 3 iron which puts me in the fairway just around the corner. 

Hit my second shot, and it comes off the toe and heads into the woods on the right. I stand there with my head down saying to myself "seriously, dude??" I find my ball, it's about 3 feet into the brush from the edge of the fairway. No way I can hit it, so I pull it out, drop, and take a penalty. I've got 165 yards in for my 4th shot. 

7-iron, drops in for birdie. I finished the first round in 2nd place in my flight that day, and that birdie got me a net skin. 

The only other one I can remember from 100+ out was one of my eagles this year, on a par 4 at my home course. Pin was in the middle, and the trick is to aim to the left side of the green because it'll run towards the right. I was about 130 out, and hit what I thought was a shot that was going a little too far left. It hit the left edge of the green, and it looked like it took nearly a 90 degree bounce to the right and was rolling right towards the hole. 

I knew it rolled close, but didn't realize it had gone in. I remember my wife and I walking closer to the green, and her saying "where's your ball?". I replied "I don't see it, I thought it was snuggled up close". That made me start jogging toward the hole. It was my first and only eagle on a par 4 I've ever had. All the rest I've had were par 5's. 

Edited by Roody
  • Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Probably 25ish lifetime but they were mostly 1994 - 2010 when I played a lot and at a +2 to scratch level. In the last 10 years I think 3 and they all came within about a month. 
made my first hole in one at Talking Stick with a 7 iron on #6. A few weeks later dunked a wedge at a course in Ft Myers (Eagle Landing I think appropriately enough) while on vacation on the 11th hole. The next week back at home same thing on #1 at AZ Golf Resort.  Drought since as far as I can remember and actually the poorest play of my life since as well. 

• Like 1

Only once, a Gap Wedge for eagle on a par 5. From about 115yds

my second longest hole-out was 90yds

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Besides my ace (144 yards) and my albatross (243 yards) I don’t really know, ~ 12 more times?

Cap around 3 with 40 years of golf, about to turn 53

I can recall a handful of them right now, I know I have 4 at my current home club (all 2’s on par 4’s except for one which was about 110 for an eagle on a par 5) and can recall 2 from my club as a junior going way back..  one of them an 8 iron from an opposite fairway from approx. 150.   The extras are spread out from ages 21-35 where I wasn’t a member at a club

I do recall one just now playing thru a famous hockey player at a course 1 hour north of my house and I holed a wedge from 120 and got some solid ribbing on fast play

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Just twice actually, and basically once on the legit. I've hit the pin and cup so many times without things dropping, but it's not supposed to be easy right?

First one was playing a 9 hole course by myself. In true WRX fashion I bought a hybrid off the BST and immediately took it onto the course. Tee shot on a par 5 put me in perfect range, so being by myself with the course wide open I knocked a couple from the spot. One missed left, one short right, but one I flushed right on the pin. Upon reaching the green I found the others but not the one at the pin. Checked the front bunker, nope, behind the green, nothing. So I finished out the hole and low and behold, there she was in the bottom of the cup. It was exciting and embarrassing all in one, but it felt great just to know if could be done.

Second was my ace, 118 3/4 PW. Hit a little punch that landed 5 feet short right of the pin, took a hop and then spun back down a slope and into the cup. Nothing better than hearing that pin from a distance and seeing the ball disappear.

Beyond that my longest is a 70 yard pitch shot.

• Like 1

On a warm morning on the 7th of May in 2003, on the 7th hole, I struck a 4 iron from 208 yards.  It was a nice high draw coming in slightly left of the pin.  As the ball hit into the face of a slope on the green, it shot up and towards the hole like a putt being struck on a perfect line.  It was a perfect line. 

On a warm morning on the 7th of May in 2004, on the 7th hole,  I struck a 7 iron from 196 yards.  With the ball flying downhill to a peninsula green it did a little one hop and release into the hole for my second hole in one.

(Different courses BTW)

Other notables were one hopping one in the hole from 296 after my first drive went OB.  Nice birdie. On Christmas day once, I holed a 6 iron from like 180 after my first ball went into the hazard.  Nice par.  Holed out a PW from 136 on a par 4 for eagle once.  Nice eagle.

At the time of all of these I fluctuated around a scratch to +2.  I'm a pretty scrappy 3 now because my body doesn't work. 😛

• Like 2

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

First hole out ever: 8i from about 160.  Was in the middle of the fairway and it was just totally pure.  Landed like 1 yard short of the flag and rolled in for eagle.  That was pretty exciting for me.  At the time I was probably a 12 or 13 handicap. 

Second hole out: SW from 105 for eagle.  This was a "good" shot but got lucky for sure because it rolled for like 20 feet before going in.  Handicap was probably a 9. 

Third hole out: GW from 120.  This was one of those shots where I played the shot exactly like I wanted to.  Pin was 120 or so and there was a backstop behind the pin a few yard.  I flew it into the backstop and spun it back into the hole for eagle.  Handicap was 4

Fourth hole out: 5i from 220.  This was both a pure strike and a very lucky hole out.  Pin was back on a par 5 with firm greens so I only needed to carry it to the front edge.  Hit a really good shot and thought it would be good but too far away for my eyes to actually see where it ended up.  When I saw that it wasn't on the green I walked to the back bunker because I figured it rolled all the way through the green but the ball was no where to be found.  One of my scramble partners looked in the hole and there it was!! Albatross on a par 5 which was awesome except it was a scramble and I didn't hit the drive.  Still a fun memory with my friends.  Handicap was around 4 

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

3 aces on a 97 yard hole... don't count though. 

My first ace on my birthday, 8 iron 165, Palmetto Dunes, Arthur Hills

3rd ace in a tournament, 8 iron 168, Connecticut National

5th ace, 8 iron, 160, Garden City Country Club.

Hole outs:

I made another 8 iron for birdie at Eisenhower Park, I've holed out from 112 in a US open qualifier, and I have a double eagle in dense fog from 240ish. But I think that's it over 100. I have more aces than hole outs. 

• Like 2

3 times in 25 years of playing...

2006ish, 6i from 212 in the desert, albatross, Picacho Hills CC hole 16

2012, 9i from 158, ace, hole 16, Red Hawk GC

Saturday 🙂GW from 110, eagle, hole 3, New Mexico State Univ GC

Best hole out I've ever witnessed was hole 2 at NMSU GC, par 3 playing 210 or so and he skanked his tee shot, hit a huge tree and came back to within a foot of his tee shot, immediately stepped up an fired and holed it for birdie, full emotional range in 15 seconds 🙂

• Like 1

None yet. I just started hitting greens in regulation a few times a round. Soon maybe?

This was about 90 yards out with my PW.

PXL_20201201_215324979.jpg

• Like 4

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I have had 3 in the last 10 years of playing. The first one was on a par 5. I hit my tee shot into a hazard and took a drop then hit the 3rd shot to 135. PW into the hole for a birdie. My BIL and wife’s uncle was playing. 

Next one was my only eagle on a par 4. I hit  my tee shot to 105. Hit a 52* wedge that one hopped into the hole with my daughter and friend witnessing. 

My favorite one was an eagle on a par 5. Popped up tee shot that only went about 150 yards. I then hit a 4 iron to 128 yards. Ping U wedge flew past the hole and spun back into the hole. Same friend from the par 4 hole out was there to witness. 
All three hole outs were on different courses 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

9 hours ago, BogeyPutt34 said:

Once, par 5, tee shot into the water, 4 iron skips on the water and out on the other side on the bank, 56* from 105 in the hole: birdie. Couldn’t make it up if I tried 

That result is likely a function of clean livin' and helping little old ladies across the street. Well done!

Handicap is 4ish

Only one Ace, when I was 15 years old. 9 iron from 140-145ish. 

However - hole outs for eagle? Ummm definitely upwards of 10, maybe somewhere in the 15 range, I can't remember them all. Last one was 2 years ago from 165 with a 7 iron, and had a wedge from 115 a couple months before that. 

• Like 2

Last year was really abysmal.  Had to pull a ton of call, so had many incomplete rounds.  Went over two months of weekends not even being able to complete a single round.  This year was much better.  Switched from steel to graphite shafts, but kept steel in the 52 & 58 wedges.    Call became much more tolerable, so able to complete most of the rounds played. Only play my local course.  Got a few eagles this year from off the green, however only one was over 100.  It came on a tight 315yd par 4 with a 15' gully in front of a small green that has a rock wall & pine covered hill behind it.  That was a 105yd eagle.

• Like 1

Funny, somewhat related story, my +3 bud is away at a resort in Florida last winter, makes an eagle two on the opening par 4 the first two days he's there.  Both holed out 9 irons

Day 3 he hits it to 3"

• Like 3

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Three Aces:

7 iron - 155ish (good shot, but really just trying to get it on the green),

8 iron - 154y told my buddy I was going to hit a little fade.  Hit the exact shot and one hop in,

9 iron - 137y  knockdown shot and draw it back to the hole - went in.

That last one was 24 years ago and since then - nothing.

Made a number of Eagles on par 4's by holing out from over 100y.  Only a few still in the memory banks... 8 iron from about 170 downwind for a 2.  A low punch under a tree from about 120 that got lucky.  And last year from about 140 with a 9 iron.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

8 hours ago, dmecca2 said:

3 aces on a 97 yard hole... don't count though. 

My first ace on my birthday, 8 iron 165, Palmetto Dunes, Arthur Hills

3rd ace in a tournament, 8 iron 168, Connecticut National

5th ace, 8 iron, 160, Garden City Country Club.

Hole outs:

I made another 8 iron for birdie at Eisenhower Park, I've holed out from 112 in a US open qualifier, and I have a double eagle in dense fog from 240ish. But I think that's it over 100. I have more aces than hole outs. 

Those three aces sure do count! I am the OP and I simply made a mistake in the subject line. 🙂   Good for you!

I remember a few. The toughest hole at our course, I’ve holed out twice with a seven iron from the 170 yard range. One from the right trees, one from the left. I can remember three shots holed out from the 115 range. One eight iron punched from under a tree from around 140 yards to the toughest pin on the green. Probably the best shot of the bunch. 

Plus two hole in ones. Been playing seriously around 30 years. Handicap in the 2-4 range for probably the last 10-15 years (although not that low any more). 

Too many to remember, but two that standout are my albatrosses. My first “double-eagle” was in 1980. I hit a 3-wood from 230-yards that one-hopped into the cup. My second “double-eagle” was in 2001. Technology was starting to make advances in distances. On a 530-yard par 5, my tee ball left me about 240-yards into the green. A well struck 2-iron landed just short of the green, bounced up and rolled right into the cup. 

I was near scratch in my youth. My current index is 3.8. I’m 63-years old.

• Like 1