Grips...Why the cost? Budget vs OEM

mvhoffman

So, why so expensive?  Most grips are rubber, most ALL grips are some form of rubber.  What rubber is used that is 75% more expensive than the other.  This is a rabbit hole of questions and debate, however.... buy OEM at $140 a set for the quality, but make sure to regrip once a year at least.  Buy $30 grips on Amazon/ebay/etc and make sure to regrip once a year at least.  If something happens that the grips get slick or something happens to them it is still 1/4 of the cost.  I know that there are some made in the USA, but most are made in the orient somewhere.  Same factory, different paint, logos,etc...?

• Like 2

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

12 minutes ago, mvhoffman said:

So, why so expensive?  Most grips are rubber, most ALL grips are some form of rubber.  What rubber is used that is 75% more expensive than the other.  This is a rabbit hole of questions and debate, however.... buy OEM at $140 a set for the quality, but make sure to regrip once a year at least.  Buy $30 grips on Amazon/ebay/etc and make sure to regrip once a year at least.  If something happens that the grips get slick or something happens to them it is still 1/4 of the cost.  I know that there are some made in the USA, but most are made in the orient somewhere.  Same factory, different paint, logos,etc...?

If your question is why are some grip sets  $140 and others $30  I believe the answer is about branded versus non branded companies. The advertised brands have costs including marketing, product research and development , employee payroll, cost of carrying the inventory of a broad line of grips etc...

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, mvhoffman said:

Lots of the more expensive popular grip models (Golf Pride NDMC, all Winn models, for instance) are actually multi-material or feature a proprietary composite surface layer for performance purposes. Those materials and development cycles cost money, and those companies have marketing costs, and consumers pay up if they feel the performance is worthwhile. If you prefer pure rubber, there are a handful of smaller companies that offer less expensive options. I play Royal Grips Perf Wrap ($4) in my woods and irons, and Star Grips Sidewinder ($7) in my wedges. I would put them up against any rubber wrap or perforated grip out there.

Edit to add: and grips with built-in alignment ridges should be illegal.

Edited by RolandofGilead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

I admit at $10 each my grips (Concept Helix) aren't cheap. But they are so easy to put on and take off. All the various clubs I've been testing, it's awesome to swap the grip if I change shafts or decide to sell the club.

I have a few grips that have been on 4 different clubs already.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Grip prices  have increased significantly and unfortunately for me they don't perform any better and actually worse.  They don't grip or last like they used to.  

Lamkin was always my goto but they've gone the route of Golf Pride with a slew of synthetic style grips.  I think their last really good, long lasting all purpose grip was the X10 Crossline. I still have one on a J33 that's 5 years old that feels now.

That's why I will only use Golfwork's Royal Link Cord grips. Discovered them by accident as I noticed that they have reduced taper and I had some success with Royal grips in the past.  IMHO, best grip out.  No taper, great grip and feel great without being rough.  Can't beat 13 for $44.

• Like 1

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

I think it’s real rubber vs flubber.  

but seriously.  Having seen a few fake Cameron grips.  They always have a petulant smell.  I don’t know what they are. But it’s not rubber.  I’d. Bet the other multi compound knock offs etc are same. 

• Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, Ivyguy said:

I mean, I guess. 

but irons are now about 1200 dollars. To go cheap on the only part that we touch, seems counterintuitive. 

similar to putting junk tires on a sports car. 

I get what you’re saying, but I wouldn’t. 

Great analogy.  I once had a customer who griped  about the tires on his corvette.  How it was hard to find off brands in his size etc.  Was a 90s zr1.  Of course had very wide rear and less wide front.  So no rotation, and wear was fast.  I told him simply “ if you can’t afford the tires , you can’t afford the corvette “. He could he was just tight. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, laxdogg22 said:

I still think GP Tour Velvets are the best deal. When they got slick hit them with med grit sandpaper and they are good to go again.

I do agree the newer versions of some of the other grips are not as good. I found some old MCCs in my basement this off season and they are just so much better than the newer ones.

Agree completely - I used ndmc for a while, but that got expensive quickly.  Especially when the lower portion would wear out so quickly.  Tour Velvets are less than half the price and last longer.  I don't agree with manufacturers/magazines who advocate grips should be replaced once a year.  I think they should be replaced when they need to be replaced.  May be a year on your most used clubs, but can easily go longer on clubs you use less.  I practice and play mostly with my driver and that tour velvet grip has lasted almost two years.  I'll hit it with sandpaper if it starts to need it, but I actually find that tour velvets get a little tackier with some use and they get better.

• Like 2

WITB - Persimmon, Rust, Wool, and Lead

I've gotten some cheap grips on used clubs and they are awful, they stunk, didn't feel good and probably didn't last long. 

I find the good grips if taken care of they'll last longer and feel better longer too. I don't play as much as some guys here but I clean my clubs and grips after every round and my grips look and feel great. 

It's also the only thing between you and your club, why get something cheap. Like the same with tires for your car, do you buy the cheapest thing possible just cause they are all rubber? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I have always used GP Tour Velvets...  I clean my grips after every other round with a cleaner called "Awesome" I get at the Dollar Store.  "Awesome" cleaner is the only thing I have even been able to find that takes the black streaks off of our race car trailer...  by chance the spray bottle was next to the sink in the garage when I needed to clean my clubs up a few months ago.  I use a moderately stiff nylon bristle brush to scrub the grips down with the "Awesome" and some warm water.  The grips always feel new...  39 rounds so far this year with at least that or more trips to the range.

• Thanks 1

I've never really thought about this --Golftown does 1/2 price grip deals every February and i just buy boatloads of them for like 5$ each. I still have 30-40 grips that i'll probably never use

It's just never been hard to find a good grip for a reasonable price

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4 hours ago, mvhoffman said:

‘it’s interesting, a long time ago golf pride ran an advertising campaign AGAINST those cheaper grips complaining about how those knockoff companies were simply stealing all their research and development by copying their designs.  That campaign died down quickly, but that was the gist of the advertisements.  A picture of their grip and the knockoff, saying something like “we spent XX on research and development and company Y just copies it”.  I think they also implied it was a violation of patent rights, but I can’t quite remember.

maybe that’s actually the explanation. 

I'm a cheap MF'er by nature, and if I'm playing a lot, I like to regrip once a year. So, I'm not breaking the bank when it comes to buying grips. 

But, I also like a reasonable level of quality. So, I have generally just stuck with Lamkin Crosslines for most of my golfing career. Occasionally a used club will come with a multi-compound or something on it - and I use them - but I honestly can't tell much of a difference. At least not a $6/per grip difference. 

Last year, I bit the bullet on some super cheap Grip One's from Golf Works. I think I paid $1.99/grip on those. They've been absolutely fine. I also found a pretty good deal on some Iomic Sticky Evolutions a month or so back.

My current bag has a mixture of Grip Ones and Iomics. I haven't seen any impact on my scores. 

So, I'd just say shop wisely. You can get good grips at reasonable prices if you apply yourself like George Costanza. 

• Like 4

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Once I switched to Jumbomax Ultralites I cant go back to standard grips, but yikes they are pricey at about $15 a pop, and almost impossible to get right now.

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX F3

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 7-GW - Nippon NS Pro850gh Neo

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

The grips I use (BestGrips Microperf leather slip on) retail for $20/grip.  While these are not inexpensive, to say the least, they will last for several years.  They are tacky so moisture does not affect grip.  They simply don't slip.  I have a set on my former gamers that were 4 years old and still going strong.  If I still gamed those irons the grips would most likely last another 3 or 4 years.  I find most rubber grips to be made from cheaper materials and certainly compromise performance when moisture is present.  Leather isn't for everyone but there is no doubt the quality of BestGrips.  For those looking for an alternative to the quagmire of rubber grips give these a try.

• Like 4

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I love the Lamkin UTX gray grips. For me they are great and the gray kinda goes with most clubs.  I love then A

little cord but not too much. I clean them a few times a year and maybe some light sandpaper once a year.  For me I can easily get about 100 rounds before needing to replace. I usually buy in bulk as I replace all clubs I buy with these so comes out to $6 a grip on average. For me, worth it for the durability. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

The grips I use (BestGrips Microperf leather slip on) retail for $20/grip.  While these are not inexpensive, to say the least, they will last for several years.  They are tacky so moisture does not affect grip.  They simply don't slip.  I have a set on my former gamers that were 4 years old and still going strong.  If I still gamed those irons the grips would most likely last another 3 or 4 years.  I find most rubber grips to be made from cheaper materials and certainly compromise performance when moisture is present.  Leather isn't for everyone but there is no doubt the quality of BestGrips.  For those looking for an alternative to the quagmire of rubber grips give these a try.

I was highly hesitant to take the plunge into leather, simply due to cost.  I managed to snag a big deal with Grip Master Kidd's the other year and have never looked back.  Those lasted 3+ season without an issue, and would still have them if I didn't swap shafts.  I threw some Midsize Augusta BestGrips on the new clubs and love them.

The value they provide long term, exceeds the upfront cost as you could easily get 4-6 seasons out of them if not more. 

Edited by bubbagump
  • Like 3

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

3 hours ago, TonyDAnnunzio said:

I have always used GP Tour Velvets...  I clean my grips after every other round with a cleaner called "Awesome" I get at the Dollar Store.  "Awesome" cleaner is the only thing I have even been able to find that takes the black streaks off of our race car trailer...  by chance the spray bottle was next to the sink in the garage when I needed to clean my clubs up a few months ago.  I use a moderately stiff nylon bristle brush to scrub the grips down with the "Awesome" and some warm water.  The grips always feel new...  39 rounds so far this year with at least that or more trips to the range.

I think you mean LA's Totally Awesome cleaner.  It's not just awesome.  It's totally awesome.

Purchased my irons used and they came with GP Tour Wrap grips.  I only wear a glove when it's 100F or raining.  They are soft, squishy, and very tacky as long as they're not wet.  They are great, as long as you don't get them wet.  I'm going on my 3rd season with them.  No signs of wear or degradation.  

I have about 60 or 70 Lamkin grips that I bought for $1 each when GolfSmith went out of business that are waiting for their turn.  I too, am not a fan of MDCC grips.  They wear out very quickly.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bubbagump said:

I was highly hesitant to take the plunge into leather, simply due to cost.  I managed to snag a big deal with Grip Master Kidd's the other year and have never looked back.  Those lasted 3+ season without an issue, and would still have them if I didn't swap shafts.  I threw some Midsize Augusta BestGrips on the new clubs and love them.

The value they provide long term, exceeds the upfront cost as you could easily get 4-6 seasons out of them if not more. 

Worth the investment if you play your clubs for 4 - 6 seasons.  

8 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I've never really thought about this --Golftown does 1/2 price grip deals every February and i just buy boatloads of them for like 5$ each. I still have 30-40 grips that i'll probably never use

It's just never been hard to find a good grip for a reasonable price

Except for the rest of the year if you didn't stock up during the grip sale.  Nothing like paying $16 plus tax for a +4...

I'll usually buy 30 or so during the sale anyway as I'll regrip some sets I buy throughout the year.  

A Revolving Door