Who else mostly walks off after 9 holes ?

mangohead

I play single.  Easy to get an AM time.

I always walk w/ pull cart.   Nice little 3 mile exercise walk to start the day.

I rarely play 18.  It's not even the time, but that it drains me from further productivity for the rest of the day.

Too bad there isn't a 9 hole price, but whatever.    I pay my $35, walk 9, and am done by 11am.   

Sometimes, I would be in a mood to play a few more, but not 18.   More like 12 or 13 would be fine.

• Like 2

I usu only play 9, sometimes only 6. But I'm solo in a cart. I typically only hit 1 drive unless it's very bad or a par 3. I hit 3 on par 3's and generally 3 balls on approach. Because my club is short, I will often play my drive, but drop 2 from 150+ out.

It's way more practice than a round, but it's fun and it beats the range because I know true yardage of all my shots. It's an hour to 90 minutes to start my day about 4 days a week now.

I played a legit 9 yesterday at a new to me course by the office in an hour with a cart. I did 18 at Wildwood last week in just over 2 hours with a cart solo. But I can only go solo if I'm first out there.

<edit> the club is $15 for 9 holes for non members but the cart is $6. Wildwood is $18 for 9 I think, $32 for 18, I think it was also $6 for the cart for 9.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I tend to avoid 9 hole rounds just for one simple reason particularly for myself: I find it hard to be excited / engaged if I'm only playing 9. It goes by too quickly for me and I can really never get myself in a groove knowing it's not a full round. 

I wish I could. I'd be on the golf course at least two times more per week. If I only have a couple hours to spend, I'll usually just go to the range and practice for a while to keep the game as sharp as I can. 

6 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

More 9 hole golf courses would be great for the growth of the game.

Economically - 9 holers are usually very difficult to make work. The “growing the game” clientele is very price adverse, and once the 9 hole course has done it’s job of introducing people to the game and advancing their ability to play those players move on to full length 18 courses and don’t return. So the customer base is a revolving door of low paying customers but all of the expense of labor, mortgage, carts, equipment, maintenance, etc remains. 

I know someone is going to say “the 9 holer by me rakes it in so this isn’t true at all” but it takes exceptional circumstances for a 9 hole course to be in demand enough to be a viable business. 

• Like 3

If early enough in the morning, I'm surprised the golf course doesn't offer a few back 9 only tee times for a 9-hole rate. A few courses in my area do that.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

2 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

Economically - 9 holers are usually very difficult to make work. The “growing the game” clientele is very price adverse, and once the 9 hole course has done it’s job of introducing people to the game and advancing their ability to play those players move on to full length 18 courses and don’t return. So the customer base is a revolving door of low paying customers but all of the expense of labor, mortgage, carts, equipment, maintenance, etc remains. 

My comment reads "More 9 hole golf courses would be great for the growth of the game" , and it's absolutely true.

So, the golf industry organizations and corporations  which talk about "growing the game" , such as the USGA, PGA of America, PGA Tour, Titleist,Callaway, Ping, TM etc... should take the initiative to own, manage, maintain , rehabilitate, subsidize etc... 9-hole courses, par 3 courses, driving ranges etc...

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Recently joined a cc.  I rarely play 9 and I always ride in a cart.  Lately, I've been finding myself doing 9 holes more often.  I own my own personal training business so I try and get out to play whenever I can.  I find myself having a little time for myself late afternoon so I'll sneak out and do 9 holes around 4 to 5pm.  Sometimes I will play with some of the members who like to go out late as well on the weekdays.  I almost always play on Sundays now so I will def do the entire 18 then. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

7 minutes ago, Dannyboy44 said:

its $5 to walk 9 at my local course. 

Can't really beat that.  There is one about 45 minutes from where I live that costs $7 or $8.  It is a short 9 hole course that is in ok condition, but the greens are horrendously slow and furry.  About the time I finally get used to the green speed the round is over, lol.  

Anyway, I personally prefer to play a full 18, although when playing after work I can usually only get in 9 plus some range time.  I have a season walking pass to my city's 3 courses with one being a 9 hole executive course.  I haven't played there at all this season.  

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

1 hour ago, Moonlightgrm said:

Every golf course in my neck of the woods has a 9-hole rate. 

I honestly thought this was the accepted norm.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

2 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

If early enough in the morning, I'm surprised the golf course doesn't offer a few back 9 only tee times for a 9-hole rate. A few courses in my area do that.

I've seen courses do this also, but it can be tough for most to offer it. You have to remember that the maintenance crews are usually out there early AM and most will start on #1 and work their way to #18. 

If you let groups tee off on the back 9 there is a good chance they catch up to those crews around hole #12 or #13.

Although if a course doesn't cut their fairways and/or greens daily then this isn't an issue. 

• Like 1

All the courses in my area have a 9-hole rate, as far as I know, but it is always at least 2/3rds the price of the 18 hole rate.  Regardless, I never thought I'd enjoy playing 9, but hooked up with a group of older guys that do so every Monday morning, and I've found it's a great time to experiment with some stuff, especially since we play better ball.  But overall, I prefer to play 18.

30 minutes ago, trilerian said:

Can't really beat that.  There is one about 45 minutes from where I live that costs $7 or $8.  It is a short 9 hole course that is in ok condition, but the greens are horrendously slow and furry.  About the time I finally get used to the green speed the round is over, lol.  

Anyway, I personally prefer to play a full 18, although when playing after work I can usually only get in 9 plus some range time.  I have a season walking pass to my city's 3 courses with one being a 9 hole executive course.  I haven't played there at all this season.  

Its a 18 hole flat course along the Ohio river. Decent shape but yes the greens are extremely slow. Its only 5 minutes from where I work so its a good place to build confidence. 

3 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

I know someone is going to say “the 9 holer by me rakes it in so this isn’t true at all” but it takes exceptional circumstances for a 9 hole course to be in demand enough to be a viable business. 

Yeah, it's a difficult business proposition because if it's a nice course, it's usually 18, but if it's a little exec course, it's quickly one that players may "outgrow".

I do have a little course/range near me that I like though. They make the bulk of their money off their "player's club", which for just over $40/mo gets you a free large range bucket any day you go, reduced rates on the 9 hole course, etc. They have a short game practice area with bunkers and a putting green as well as the range, and for a small added fee a grass range. 

The course is nothing to speak of. It's 1115 yards and par 29. But with the player's club membership it's only $7 to play, and if I want to get a quick early morning weekday 9 in, it's not a bad place to work on wedge play and short game. I'd probably never play there without the membership, but since I'm paying the membership to have access to the range balls, it's sometimes nice as a change of pace. 

This is one that has managed to stick around as a nicer 9 hole though:

https://www.theranchlb.com/golf/overview

Beautiful setting deep in a canyon, right by Laguna Beach so the weather's always nice. I need to book a round there again soon...

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

9 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Same.  Some places will bake in a cart but I have most always seen a 9 and 18 rate.

Where I live currently, some courses have an "earlybird" 9 hole rate during the first ~1.5 hours of the tee sheet where they send you off the back nine. Most don't have a specific published 9-hole rate during the rest of the day, but a few will give you such a rate if you ask in the shop and others have dirt cheap twilight rates which encourage 9 hole play. They don't offer a 9-hole rate during prime time off #1 tee because frankly I think they don't need to as they can fill the tee sheet with 18 hole players at full price.

5 hours ago, mangohead said:

I play single.  Easy to get an AM time.

I always walk w/ pull cart.   Nice little 3 mile exercise walk to start the day.

I rarely play 18.  It's not even the time, but that it drains me from further productivity for the rest of the day.

Too bad there isn't a 9 hole price, but whatever.    I pay my $35, walk 9, and am done by 11am.   

Sometimes, I would be in a mood to play a few more, but not 18.   More like 12 or 13 would be fine.

Early AM time???  9 holes and done by 11am?  What did you do between 6am and 9am?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

9 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

Where I live currently, some courses have an "earlybird" 9 hole rate during the first ~1.5 hours of the tee sheet where they send you off the back nine. Most don't have a specific published 9-hole rate during the rest of the day, but a few will give you such a rate if you ask in the shop and others have dirt cheap twilight rates which encourage 9 hole play. They don't offer a 9-hole rate during prime time off #1 tee because frankly I think they don't need to as they can fill the tee sheet with 18 hole players at full price.

The price of nachos and hot dogs is on the board places I go.

• Thanks 1

I'm a walker and usually play 9.  At 67 years, it just feels right, and I have the rest of the day to do other stuff. 

• Like 1

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

I play almost exclusively 9 holes. My home course is more of an executive course, but you can hit driver on all non par 3 holes. Of course, it helps that I'm not a bomber.

I find that it's hard to take the time to play 18, with family needs and everything. I could do it more often, but I'm not really a morning person and it requires getting up earlier than I'd like to on my day off.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft