2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Daly, no cart at The Open, he's upset

Ferguson

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @BMC said:

> > Dude only has to walk 36 holes.

>

> Plus the walking in between pubs. That's probably why the 18 holes is too much to walk.

Probably uses cart for that too

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @new2g0lf said:

> > @ExTrumpet said:

> > Now battling necrosis from a brown recluse bite. I'm a JD fan, hope he loses weight, gets his knee functioning and calls an exterminator.

>

> To my knowledge there aren't any brown recluse spiders in the UK, more likely a false black widow.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/uncategorized/2358307/brown-recluse-spiders-how-to-spot-treat-bite/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2355686/brown-recluse-spider-bite-wound/

Maybe, maybe not

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

> @loneacer said:

> > @dlygrisse said:

> > Correct, he needs to lose 100lbs, and he also needs a knee replacement. Until he does both of those he just comes across as a whiner.

> He said before that doctors told him he's too young for a replacement. Whether true or not, I don't know.

That's total BS. I own a healthcare biz and we see some people with knee replacements in their 40's. That is an exception though and 50 is generally considered the starting point but it does happen. The biggest concern with doing them that young is the replacement joint will actually wear down over time and can require a second replacement.

John has a lot of personal demons, and I feel bad for him. He seems to have always hated himself even though pretty much everyone loved him. His mental health has seemed to be in bad shape for most of his life.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he hasn’t had surgery yet because he’s worried he’ll die under the knife, or something along those lines.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> John has a lot of personal demons, and I feel bad for him. He seems to have always hated himself even though pretty much everyone loved him. His mental health has seemed to be in bad shape for most of his life.

>

> It wouldn’t surprise me if he hasn’t had surgery yet because he’s worried he’ll die under the knife, or something along those lines.

It crossed my mind that he or his physician knows he appears to have an addictive personality and some type of opioid could be prescribed for pain management post surgery. Based on history, there's a higher propensity for him to potentially develop a new addiction and they might both be trying to avoid that.

I don’t think he is playing MattyO. His latest clusterF is a spider bite that nearly resulted in death.

> @MattyO1984 said:

> The most disappointing aspect of this all is that he is still going to play! Someone who could do something with that spot is going to miss out so he can drag his sorry **** around for a couple of rounds before missing the cut.

> @Konklifer said:

> He withdrew. No big loss.

Oh good, I was picturing him tumbling down one of the sand dunes and then the R & A having to call the military to borrow a Chinook helicopter to air lift him out.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @loneacer said:

> > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > Correct, he needs to lose 100lbs, and he also needs a knee replacement. Until he does both of those he just comes across as a whiner.

> > He said before that doctors told him he's too young for a replacement. Whether true or not, I don't know.

>

> That's total BS. I own a healthcare biz and we see some people with knee replacements in their 40's. That is an exception though and 50 is generally considered the starting point but it does happen. The biggest concern with doing them that young is the replacement joint will actually wear down over time and can require a second replacement.

The surgeon probably told him to lose some weight before the surgery and he has not done that yet.

• Like 1

> @loneacer said:

> > @dlygrisse said:

> > Correct, he needs to lose 100lbs, and he also needs a knee replacement. Until he does both of those he just comes across as a whiner.

> He said before that doctors told him he's too young for a replacement. Whether true or not, I don't know.

I know younger guys that have had it done. More likely, he's too fat.

• Like 1

> @Kaysquare said:

> I've been an on again/off again fan of John Daly over the years. But as a left & right knee replacement senior, I have no sympathy for John & his knee pain. Go get a knee replacement, do the rehab & get back to walking you big baby. Of course, most orthopedic surgeons won't touch him until he loses a lot of weight & starts a serious workout program. And he needs to make some serious lifestyle changes, but that's up to him, & I doubt it'll ever happen. He still seems to be his own worst enemy.

All he has to do is quit smoking, drinking, lose 100 lbs, replace his knee, keep up a fitness regimen and all will be good. I'm not optimistic.

• Like 1

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @Konklifer said:

> > He withdrew. No big loss.

>

> He also got bitten by a spider.

>

He is now on the entry list for the event opposite (Kentucky) the Open Championship.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/stock-watch-selling-pre-open-tiger-woods-1-am-wakeup-calls

Daly said he had surgery for an abdominal infection and was treated for early sepsis, but apparently he’s on the mend – he reportedly has signed up to play next week’s opposite-field event in Kentucky. Hmm.

> @jimb6golf said:

> JD needs to just go away or get in better shape to play golf. Has he even been in contention in anything over the 10 years? It's his choice if he wants to compete, then get in shape both physically and game wise, otherwise there's lots of other pros that will take your place.

He's gotta pay for his multitude of vices somehow. A hiatus from golf would likely mean his spending money dries up and that's no fun.

> @loneacer said:

> > @MattyO1984 said:

> > The most disappointing aspect of this all is that he is still going to play! Someone who could do something with that spot is going to miss out so he can drag his sorry **** around for a couple of rounds before missing the cut.

> His exemption doesn't cost anybody else a spot

Not so. Kevin Streelman now gets in the field.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @jimb6golf said:

> JD needs to just go away or get in better shape to play golf. Has he even been in contention in anything over the 10 years? It's his choice if he wants to compete, then get in shape both physically and game wise, otherwise there's lots of other pros that will take your place.

Correct me if I’m wrong. But. He’s still getting in based on his own career. Not special invites etc ? If so. He has technically earned everything he gets. So like him or not. It’s his right by rule to be in.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @jimb6golf said:

> > JD needs to just go away or get in better shape to play golf. Has he even been in contention in anything over the 10 years? It's his choice if he wants to compete, then get in shape both physically and game wise, otherwise there's lots of other pros that will take your place.

>

> Correct me if I’m wrong. But. He’s still getting in based on his own career. Not special invites etc ? If so. He has technically earned everything he gets. So like him or not. It’s his right by rule to be in.

Former champs are eligible to the Open until 60... without a cart. That said, R&A should make an exception and ban him just for asking. Call it the reverse Tom Watson rule.

> @buckeye440 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @loneacer said:

> > > > @dlygrisse said:

> > > > Correct, he needs to lose 100lbs, and he also needs a knee replacement. Until he does both of those he just comes across as a whiner.

> > > He said before that doctors told him he's too young for a replacement. Whether true or not, I don't know.

> >

> > That's total BS. I own a healthcare biz and we see some people with knee replacements in their 40's. That is an exception though and 50 is generally considered the starting point but it does happen. The biggest concern with doing them that young is the replacement joint will actually wear down over time and can require a second replacement.

>

> The surgeon probably told him to lose some weight before the surgery and he has not done that yet.

The shedding the weight seems more likely than the age as I know people who have had them done prior to 50. As was said, it's not the popular thing, but it can be needed in certain situations.

John D, no doubt still has a following but it's NOT nearly large enough to force R&A to change the rules of golf. They made a good decision. JD just doesn't have it anymore, least of all a gallery draw so huge, him not playing would present a revenue problem for the R&A. It's sad that surgical implants couldn't compete with JD's eating and drinking habits, and carts will not be JD's answer to playing in the Open. Arthritis affects a great many golfers, including me. That's not an excuse either. Unlike JD, if I can walk a course I will.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX