Windiest day you have ever played? Wind stories?

GoletaGolfer

On 4/6/2021 at 9:54 PM, Abh159 said:

The State Am a few years back was at this course in an area of my state that is extremely flat and notoriously windy. It's the type of place where the trees literally grow sideways because it's so windy all the time. I'm not exaggerating on that.

On a few holes that ran side by side you'd be downwind on one and could hit a drive close to 400 yards, and then on the next you'd be into the wind and you were lucky to hit a driver 210 yards. Everyone was hurrying to hit their putt as soon as they picked their mark up out of fear that the ball would start rolling on the green due to the wind. The average score was close to 80 a day for the 4 rounds and +5 won the tournament. Usually the scoring average in the low 70s with - 10-15 being the winning score.

It was a miserable experience and I'll never go back...

If you got trees its not windy

I grew up.playing a course overlooking Aberdeen.harbour in North East Scotland

Played a round with fairly consistent 25-30 mph winds with some higher gusts. Actually played really well consider the conditions. Highlights included going driver wedge on a 570 yard par 5 with the wind, ballooning a 110 yard wedge and literally see it falling backwards backwards as it came down 40 yards short of intended, and then playing the next 40 yard shot as an 80 yard shot and landing it right at the pin. 

Kiawah, Ocean Course, in 2019. Played in 35-40 mph winds for the entire round. Surprisingly, we had an absolute blast! Luckily we had a caddie who was giving us great wind-adjusted yardages. I had to club up or down 4 clubs at times. I'm not sure I would have clubbed that many if left to my own devices, so it was imperative that I had a caddie advising me. 

Took a quick video while we were there, showing right after my buddy teed off. Gives you an idea of what we played in all day. 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Had a round scheduled back in the 90s when Hurricane Bob hit. Didn't think we'd get to play of course but the timing worked out that there was a gap while the eye went through, so we went for it. Needless to say the parking lot was pretty empty and guys in the pro shop were surprised to see us. But it really wasn't all that bad and no waiting for groups in front of us. 🙂

We have more windy days than not here in the “Plain states”. I live in Nebraska. The windiest I golfed in was constant 25-30mph gusting to 35-40. Normally I wouldn’t play in crap like that, buuuuuut it was early spring, first time out for that year. The transition between seasons,  especially winter to spring, can get particularly windy.

Thankfully the course I played was treed in, but several holes you were totally exposed due to elevation change.  One particular par 3 I was literally aiming 30-40 yards left of the pin. Only to have it roll off the right side of the green. I’ve since learned how to flight my wedges a bit, but with those kind of winds I should’ve just putted off the tee box 😬 

• Haha 1

We played in some very stiff and variable winds on Sunday at the Bear Trace at Cumberland Mountain in Crossville, TN. I didn't see any putts blown off-line, but I wouldn't have been surprised. 

The same group had played the prior day in a soaking rain, so there wasn't much complaining about the wind!

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Played a 2 day college event and it was on Mother's Day (I remember because it was Mother's Day and my sister's college graduation and my mom was pissed that I couldn't go to it).

The day started off with winds about 25-30 mph and stayed that way until we hit about hole #13.  And then the winds picked up so much it was outrageous.

It was so windy that it was difficult to breathe.  

Standbags were useless.  I saw a putt from one of my playing partners curven about 8-feet to the left just because of the wind.

IIRC, it was the 16th hole where we were into the wind.  I hit driver, then driver off the deck, then punched an 8-iron that seemed to change elevation about 8 times before falling short of the green.

The next day on that hole, nice 75* day with no wind....I hit driver-SW into the green.

After the round I looked up the weather report and it said the winds were gusting up to 72 mph.  I certainly believe it.

One of the guys on our team shot even par.  I did't get to see it, but it had to be one of the best rounds I *would* have ever seen because the wind was so ridiculous.

RH

I get to play in pretty good breezes in Tucson, especially in the spring.  But I am not good enough to necessarily play for it, beyond some basic club selection.  Beyond that, too much think lets it get into may head.  I've decided to tell myself, "You can't hit the wind, you can only hit the ball."  It helps me to focus on just making a good swing, and not trying to "defeat" the wind.

• Like 1

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 9:46 AM, jlbos83 said:

I get to play in pretty good breezes in Tucson, especially in the spring.  But I am not good enough to necessarily play for it, beyond some basic club selection.  Beyond that, too much think lets it get into may head.  I've decided to tell myself, "You can't hit the wind, you can only hit the ball."  It helps me to focus on just making a good swing, and not trying to "defeat" the wind.

And this spring has been WINDY!

I live out on the Olympic Peninsula In Washington for about 5 years.

I remember playing in a big windstorm and the club house sent someone to pull us in because branches and tops were flying off 80ft cedar trees and flying hundreds of feet through the air across fairways. Wild day, for sure.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

About 20 couple years ago. I was in the Palm Springs area. We played 36 this day. 

First course we had a par 3 about 185. Hit driver. Short. This was pre Pro V. 

The afternoon round was PGA West Nicklaus tournament. #10 I drove the tenth green. Not normally a drivable hole by any means. 

In high school we had the 2nd round of a tournament in Wyoming get canceled because the wind was blowing the balls off a green into a bunker. I took a 6 on the hole after holing out my 4th bunker shot. Everyone else picked up and told the coaches to just DQ them when the coaches yelled at us. A couple groups later they said finish to the clubhouse, 2nd round was canceled. 

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Two weeks ago I played in a tourney that normally sees about 270 participants, but weather turned bad so only 40 played.  Wind gusts between 50-60 MPH, along with freezing rain and sleet.  On the greens puts would horseshoe or take 90° turns and often end up farther away than where you started.  I thought 2 clubs stronger would suffice, but even three clubs stronger was not enough in many cases.  I walked the course, so got a nice workout.  I felt like a football player working out with a sled.  Ha ha! 

September 1996 CCA Associate Club Championship at Pinehurst. Hurricane Fran was on it’s way and supposed to pass over during the night. So the tournament decided to play rounds 2 and 3 on Friday because we didn’t know if the course would be playable on Saturday. My team drew Pinehurst #2 for the afternoon round when the outer bands started to batter the course. The wind and rain was fierce. We played right through it. It was so bad, the rain went right through the rain suit. I just took it off and got drenched because it wasn’t doing any good anyway. I was yelling at the storm like Lt. Dan in Forrest Gump. It was great fun.

Honorable mention goes to a 2005 round in Scotland at Turnberry Ailsa course in a full blown North Sea storm. I played with George Brown, the golf course superintendent at Turnberry. We were the only two players on the course all day.

I spent the month of February in Scottsdale and played a bunch of mid-tier courses in the area.  For best pricing, I generally pre-booked "hot deals" for early-mid afternoon.  The weather is always great in Scottsdale, right?

WRONG!

At tee time winds were 25-27mph and increased from there.  Not a hurricane but not pleasant either.  By the back 9 gusts of 35-40mph.  The group I was playing with stopped after 9.  I stupidly kept going.

Despite the wind I actually scored OK.  However, in the desert with winds that high you are constantly deluged with sand, dust, pollen, plant materials and even goose/duck feathers from the water features.  Given that I'm allergic to many of those items, I went the next day to Urgent care for a round of steroids.  So my "hot deal" cost me much more than anticipated!

Just this past Friday. 20 mph consistent wind (full two clubs difference for me) and during one five minute stretch, the wind gusts got up to 60. My push cart lifted all three wheels off the ground as my group (and the whole course really) stopped and just waited. Thank god I was holding onto it! We were on the tee of #3, was playing 145 yards, par three with a squash shaped green, bunkers on both sides hugging the green, drops off in the back, green tilts back to front. I normally hit a wedge at most. I hit a full 8 iron, I aimed 25 yards right of the green and hit my normal shot. The ball landed on the green and spun 50’ left of the ball mark. 

EC15B87B-1A7B-43FA-A625-A4644855F80F.jpeg

Edited by analyticandrew

The Old Course in 2012.  48 hrs apart

18th hole day 1.  Mashed a driver and got to the 150 .. about a 180 yarder.  From 150 I blistered a 4i about 10 feet off the ground and got on.  None of my pals reached hitting driver then 3w.

2 days later, it was 8mph down fan and was on edge of green in Valley of Sin

On 15 or 16 I hit a 400 yard drive into a greenside trap, good times.   Had a blast

I love high winds golf but it can wear on you when it is also cold out

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

On 4/5/2021 at 11:28 PM, GoletaGolfer said:

For me, Vacaville CA about 1998.  Sustained 50 MPH winds (Found out when I got home and watched the news). Trees down, the whole nine. I just thought it was a windy golf day, not a STORM.

Par 5 downwind, straight hole.  12 or so HC.  Normal drive was about 245-250.  519 yard hole.  Driver hit exactly 350.  169 left to the pin; don't know what to hit. Can't make myself hit PW so I hit 9 - 30 yards over the green. Did I say it was a bit breezy?

Par 3 - 125 yards, left to right wind.  Hit my 7 iron (150 club) nut flush. Started it a little left of the green. Ended up in a field to the right, off the course by 50 yards, next to a cow.

Breezy.

Cypress Lakes I bet. I used to open my garage door and if i saw the trees rustle I KNEW Cypress Lakes was not worth it. I miss Vacaville.....

I live and play in Charlotte and we've had several windy days recently. We has 35mph gusts one day. If you watched The Wells Fargo Championship you saw some of that especially on Friday afternoon.  I'm sure I've probably played in worse wind conditions than the one mentioned above, but that day is fresh in my mind. A couple of groups ahead of us quit due to the wind. 

I played a college tournament in central Texas, weather was pretty ideal for the practice round and first round, front rolled through overnight and it was about 40 degrees and howling the next day. No one was prepared, we had parents scrambling to find us anything to keep us warm. Ended up being a bloodbath on the scoreboard. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

2019 high school state championship. Glenwood country club, Hot Springs Arkansas.

90° day before, got down to 40° next morning ( last week of September).

The wind was blowing so hard that we had to holdthe kids push carts.

It was blowing headcovers off of the clubs in their bags.

Their hats were blowing off, shirts were pulling to the side, etc.

They couldnt call it off, because people had hotel reservations, had taken off work, and traveled across the state.

No storms, just terrible winds.

Some of the teams dropped out.

On some of the holes, it was blowing their putts off of the green.😢😢😢😢