2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Is PXG going out of business?

golfnhack

56 minutes ago, bopper53 said:

New Ping, not hardly !

I have tried a lot of their stuff on the range,  it is nothing special for the initial price.

Kind of funny that Howell III and Horschel got fed up with their stuff rather quickly.

The 0811X driver can't touch my G425 or my Titleist TSI2

Why would you buy a PXG iron when you could get a Mizuno or Ping Blueprint ?

All testosterone marketing.

I could say the same that my set of PXG Gen 2 0311 P irons replaced a set of i210 irons (FYI I paid less for the PXG irons than the PINGs) and a Proto driver replaced a G410 driver and still paid less for the Proto.  I still have my PING hybrids and Glide wedges as I think they are great.  

PXG makes clubs that are as good as anything out there.  I don’t limit my club selection to just a few manufacturers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bopper53 said:

New Ping, not hardly !

I have tried a lot of their stuff on the range,  it is nothing special for the initial price.

Kind of funny that Howell III and Horschel got fed up with their stuff rather quickly.

How about the i59, oh wait....

6 hours ago, Laznasty said:

They're not selling the new stuff for those prices, it's a way to potentially get new customers into the brand and get rid of old inventory at the same time.

Callaway may be doing similar things. A used sporting goods shop keep displaying Callaway irons - very good shape - that are from the two previous production cycles. The owner says he can get them from Callaway without much trouble. If CPO shows a scarcity of MD4 wedges and Rogue irons, it makes people less likely to hold out for price cuts on current models. The Mavriks might end up gone too.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

1 hour ago, C_rad said:

To be fair, if i could get them in canada, i would buy them! 

Just saw that now they are available in Canada, but not in my province. If someone in Canada wants to help, let me know. 

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

I'm on the phone with them now, on hold.  I'll ask.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

11 minutes ago, farmer said:

I don't have any particular feeling about PXG, but I wish their commercials weren't annoying.

Since I am an intellectually fair individual, I totally agree with the annoying ads and also the generally douchey vibe.  I am generally pretty reserved and turned off by that sort of thing.

I didn't buy them based on an ad.  I bought a single 7-iron out of intellectual curiosity after hitting a playing partner's Gen2 P's.  Hitting their clubs is a dangerous thing.  It directly leads to near-immediate purchase.  For me that was true, anyway.

For the record, I am not a ping hater.  Far from it actually and I would have been considered a ping dude a year ago.  I still have my G400 and personally regard it as the best driver they have made (Tisi is up there too).  The TSi4 only recently displaced it, but it very definitely replaced it.  I used Eye2's, BeCu ISI's and i500, but the Gen3 T's displaced them easily (these are the only sets of irons I have had since 1993ish so I'm not an iron ho and it is a limited sample).  I still have a Glide 3 60*.  I replaced the Glide 3 56* with a Sugar Daddy and there is simply no comparison between those two for me.  I am fond of the Arna putter and use it presently, but I also use a Del Mar and Blackjack because I struggle with inserts (distancewise) for an unbeknownst to me reason.  I am a putter ho, so I have quite a few Ping putters and like them all.  The adjustable shaft thing is huge.  PXG putters have come a long way.

If Ping or some other manufacturer doesn't have product to sell, then their market share is going to be affected by PXG or others (sub70 as an example) who are able to sell and deliver good product in a timely fashion.  Then there becomes a nonzero chance they fail get those customers back.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

I'm on the phone with them now, on hold.  I'll ask.

Just got off the phone with PXG.  They said that not only are they not going out of business, but they are in active negotiations to purchase one of the Big 3 golf club companies.

Ok, they didn't say that, but he did tell me that they have been incredibly busy taking orders over the phone for the past several months, never mind the amount of orders that come in via the Internet.  It would appear that business is booming at PXG.

• Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

7 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

Do they even do 1/10th of what Ping does in a year?

They aren’t trying to. Same reason Ferrari doesn’t compare revenue with Ford. Not that PXG is the Ferrari of golf but still, they aren’t flooding Golf Galaxy with inventory. They seem to be sticking to their niche. 

• Like 1

Nope.

It's not uncommon for a business to reduce old inventory at a reduced price.

And besides, there are too many folks with discretionary income that want the newest product and pay the asking price, whether it's really worth it or not. 

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I'll admit, it's a lot more appealing for me to take a flyer on a $300 driver than a $500.  I'm kinda interested in trying their stuff.  A playing partner plays and loves them.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

The only real casualty regarding PXG are some the green grass accounts and smaller fitters who took them on as another boutique brand when the 0311 first came out. When PXG started DTC the writing was on the wall for the small operations. By Gen 3 it was all over but the crying as PXG began to open more and more of their own regional boutiques and fitting studios coupled with private clubs but fittings available to the public. Obviously they weren't the first to go DTC but look at what's happened in golf retail. Almost every MFGR offers some level of DTC except Ping. PXG introduced us ,again, to the internal cavity concept and made it better than before. They took cues from racing and militaria by not hiding some of the "sauce" and gave golfers an edgy industrial look all in an iron with no flashy colors. Think about irons pre-PXG.... PXG was the anti- Nike, Cobra, Ping, Callaway, TM as the said we have a clean looking iron at address that dares you to make fun of it in the bag and is completely void of color. Look at iron design since. Gone are the yellows, oranges, blues and reds of just a few years ago. I'm a fan and do put my money where my mouth is and PXG has really got a good thing going. Room for improvement would be shaft availability and grip choices but then you become a golf warehouse. Keep it lean. Keep it clean. Keep it SEXY! KABOOM BABY! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, C_rad said:

To be fair, if i could get them in canada, i would buy them! 

they are re launching here in Canada with reps now pretty much across the country... its actually very exciting times for them as they are growing strong. I can't wait to Kaboom here in Alberta lol. 

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Titleist T200 utility #3 iron with IZ 95X 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

It's been genius marketing.  People won't buy/test a Wilson driver that is 299 because their drivers have always been 299.  But when a brand like PXG launch a 299 driver and their old ones were 699 it suddenly feels like a bargain and like you're getting something special.  

• Like 4

Driver - SIM2 Max

5W / 4H / 5H - G410

3i - SIM

Irons - ZX5/ZX7 

Wedges - MD5

Bettinardi QB8/Stability Shaft/P2 grip

9 minutes ago, Jamie_Tee said:

It's been genius marketing.  People won't buy/test a Wilson driver that is 299 because their drivers have always been 299.  But when a brand like PXG launch a 299 driver and their old ones were 699 it suddenly feels like a bargain and like you're getting something special.  

Totally agree. I've never looked at PXG before last September bc of the price. When the Proto driver was available for $350 I went and got fitted and it was the best thing ive ever done golf wise

Since the Proto driver was so successful for me I ended up buying the proto 3w and 2h. Those were great also and cheaper than every other OEM which made it an even better purchase in my eyes. I've since upgraded all wood and hybrid to Gen4 again bc of the price. I didnt buy the Gen4 when it was $600 but once it dropped to $299 I happily took a chance and felt like I was getting something special

• Like 2

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM BRNR Mini 13.5 ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Qi10 Tour 6w... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

TM Qi10 Tour 4h... KBS Proto Hybrid 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

If they're in trouble, there are definitely some ways they could save some money.  For example, they shouldn't waste money on forging their irons 5 times, just forge it right the first time.  Like refried beans, fry them right the first time so you don't have to waste time doing it again.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, rugbydave said:

They aren’t trying to. Same reason Ferrari doesn’t compare revenue with Ford. Not that PXG is the Ferrari of golf but still, they aren’t flooding Golf Galaxy with inventory. They seem to be sticking to their niche. 

Ferrari is a marketing company that makes cars...  They make WAY more money off selling little trinkets, t-shirts and anything else they can slap their logo on to people than anything else.  Bad analogy.

PXG is also releasing things far more often, thus a glut of inventory that is being dumped now as their market is small.  

A Revolving Door

1 hour ago, Jamie_Tee said:

Totally agree there. They are creating a perceived value based on a high initial price. Kind of like buying a new BMW. Some people like them new and some people like them at half price with 30,000 miles. Seems so far, PXG seems no better or worse than other OEMs in performance testing so not sure how long that pricing trick will work as the new is quickly wearing off and their marketing is wearing thin. I had put a set in my cart until I saw the $60 shipping. I then purchased a set off the BST here for less money for upgraded grips and shafts that had been played about 5 rounds. They were very much like the TM 790s to me. Mush feeling and built for distance. Play it again said they are the only sets of irons not selling and wouldn't offer over 300 for a 4-PW set. At least when people come to my house they will think I'm a baller with a set of PXG on the bench.

Edited by cardia10

17 hours ago, rugbydave said:

Temporary pricing.  Just goes to show how much mark-up there is on golf clubs.  To be fair, the quality continues to increase.  I personally thought Gen1 woods and putters were garbage.  It has continually gotten better.  PXG has been good for golf.

Yeah their stuff is getting better. Their 2019 0211 irons were their best iron ever (their forged head + foam is just way too mushy feeling. Foam + thin casting is better. plus those irons don't have the weird Frankenstein bolts looks). Their newer drivers are legitimately hot too. Just have to wonder if the heavily discounted pricing dilutes the high end brand image. 

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Black 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

7 hours ago, cliffhanger said:

they are re launching here in Canada with reps now pretty much across the country... its actually very exciting times for them as they are growing strong. I can't wait to Kaboom here in Alberta lol. 

If i could get PXG in Canada i'd probably give them a shot on irons at some point. I'm in Quebec though and that is borderline not Canada lol. So we'll see if they come here

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

13 hours ago, bopper53 said:

New Ping, not hardly !

Horschel left because his buddy who was there left on bad terms with PXG.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I’m a heavy  PING dude

That said I hit the gen4 ST irons and they felt FAR better than my blueprints.  Amazing irons with SF shafts

Will get a set when the costs come down in 6 months

Ping G400 LST 11* Project X 7.0 6A4

Cally AI Smoke TD 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo 7