Trying to declutter & pair down my golf equipment... do you all keep a backup set or does that defeat the purpose of decluttering lol

Trying to declutter & pair down my golf equipment... do you all keep a backup set or does that defeat the purpose of decluttering lol ???

Titleist TS2 (9.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 (14.5*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Ping G410 (17.5*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 H (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 (4-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 (50*/11)

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw (54*/10 and 58*/10)

Evnroll ER5 Black Hatchback (34”)

Snell MTB-X

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I gave up on doing that as I just buy more things I want.  Currently have 5 bags and then a pile of other stuff laying around.  Helps the wife doesn't go where I have clubs stored.  But she also doesn

I tried doing that at the beginning of the pandemic.  I sold a ton of stuff and bought what I convinced myself was going to be the last set I would own.  That set is now boxed up and in storage while

Selling older stuff, justifies my new purchases... 🙂

Posted Images

I just decluttered. I have the clubs I occasionally rotate into the bag; 60* with different bounce, 64* wedge and alternate putter. 

Ping G410 LST / Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TSi2 16.5* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Titleist TSi2 21* / Fujikura Ventus Red 9x

Titleist T100-S 4-W / True Temper DG X7

Vokey SM8 54-12 D Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Vokey SM8 WW 58-6 LB K Grind / True Temper DG TI X1

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Dual Balance / KBS CT Tour

PXG One and Done

When I travel I bring my regular clubs...  I don’t have ppl in from out of town that come to play & don’t own their own...  truth of the matter is I hate to get rid of a few things but in all honesty I don’t see myself ever not using what I’m playing now...  I’ll most likely play this set up for a few years & if I do switch something out, it’ll probably be for something newer, not older...  I keep trying to convince myself that I need a backup set, but I honestly don’t know that I actually do lol

Cleveland CBX 2 (50*/11)

Snell MTB-X

But I don’t know they I’m ready to part w my 545s lol

Cleveland CBX 2 (50*/11)

Snell MTB-X

1 backup set isn't much. I have a little closet in my basement where i keep all my golf stuff. I don't feel i'm a hoarder or anything but i have 2 full bags

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Ping G410 LST 13 w/Ping Tour 75
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

I keep a back up set of irons and wedges. Back up wedges I use to practice with, thus keeping my gamer wedges in better shape longer however their main purpose and my back up irons purpose is to be there incase I am getting some work done on my gamers, and my buddies hit me up to play. Back up set is also there just incase my clubs get lost during a golf trip. 

I keep a backup 3wood and that's all. I've never understood a backup set of irons. I could see a backup driver since I did that with the 16m2 because I cracked 2 faces with that model driver. TM seems to have resolved the cracking face issue since then so I don't carry a backup driver anymore. I carry a backup 3wood because

1. it's a 17m2 and I've cracked 2 faces on that model

2. I've hit other 3woods and prefer the 17m2 quite bigly 

3. It's a glued hosel so getting my shaft in the backup would take a couple days.

Backup set of irons just seems odd and a waste of money.

I’m the same as one of the above posters, I sell my older stuff to once I have something new that works. Keeps the wife kind of happy about me buying golf kit. 

If I still had it I would be tempted to use it..

• Like 2

Taylormade M3 9.5 (adjusted to 11) - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Testing - Titleist 818H2 (19) & 816H2 (20) Aldila Rogue Silver & Black X
Titleist 716CB 3-9 - X100
Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist Pro V1

Maybe my situation can help you think about yours. I am a tinkerer. I love getting new golf equipment to test just to see if I have found “the best for me.”  It’s a constant quest for perfection. Yes, I know it’s a fools errand. But at the end of the day, I enjoy it. Same for my coffee addiction. 

Recently my wife and I decided we are going to sell the house and travel full time (I’m 34 and my wife has her business that she/we can run remotely) in a conversion van. We are getting rid of everything we can. We will store very few items. 

I have two putters, three sets of two wedges. I’m getting fit this week for an updated FW and hybrid. Once I get those, I’ll sell my existing FW and hybrid to cushion the cost, and to limit the stuff I keep. 

One driver and one set of irons will work for me. When we travel, I’ll store the second putter and the two extra sets of wedges. I’m not ready to give those up yet because “what if in the future I decide they are better team players?” You know the sentiment I’m sure.

I have lots of extra headcovers right now. Those I don’t care about and will sell. 

I think the key is to assess the usage (potential usage) of each item. Maybe certain clubs you say it’s fine to have a spare, and others not. And whatever you decide is cool!

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60

TM SIM Ti 3W - PX Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 70

Titleist TS2 19* 3H - PX Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 80

Titleist T300 4i & 5i - TT DG AMT Black S300

Titleist T200 6i - 48*W - TT DG AMT Black S300

Vokey SM8 52F08 & 58D12 - TT DG S200

Odyssey Triple Track  Stroke Lab Ten S

I'm finally at the point where I only keep the one-offs that I want to swap out here and there.  Few drivers, few putters, anything that I occasionally run out of trust on.

Callaway Rogue SubZero 9* 

TEE CBX 119 4wd 16.5*

Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 3h 19*

Wilson Staff C300 Forged 4i

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 5-GW

Scratch 56* DS

Toulon Atlanta

I only have a "backup" set of irons right now because I bought new irons a week ago, and don't want to unload the old ones until I'm sure the new ones are better for me.

I do have a few different putters, because sometimes you have to have some fresh arms in the bullpen.

And I do have some extra wedges, but they get rotated in and out of the bag because they are different lofts/grinds for different courses I play.

I do have a couple of spare clubs I need to unload though.

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM 10.5° Project X Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60 S

PING G410 17.5° (set to 16.5°) and 20.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK 70 Orange X 

Cobra King Tour MIM 4-GW Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 130

Titleist Vokey SM8 54.12 D-grind, 60.08 M-grind

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 34"

I have full, designated backup bag mostly TaylorMade gear. Visitors can use it, or I can play it for a change-up.

Based off of TM stand bag cheap on clearance, SLDR irons and Tour Preferred wedges,, Burner driver and RBZ.Stage.2 3W/HL, plus vintage rescues and putter.

I also have a vintage bag with my MacGregor MT irons and woods from the 1970s (historic and sentimental).

Likewise I have full set (46*-64*) Cleveland CG14 wedges that beginners can hit (experience loft and shaft differences), and Callaway BB Hawkeye ~1999 fairway woods (2-3-5-7-9) I keep to test against new fairway wood models.

I have other clubs - an iron set and my former drivers - I want to keep - or maybe give to beginners. Other clubs I have sold off over last year or two. 

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Short answer: I always have backup set(s).  

Longer answer: 

I keep many iterations of past drivers, fairway woods and hybrids.  At some point I trade in or sell some of them to fund future purchases (this past week I added an almost new TS3 driver for $100 after including the $ from selling an old 910 driver and a pair of fairway woods).

For irons, I have 4 sets in my garage at the moment: my main set (MP54s), a backup set (MP32s), a visitors set (Tommy Armour 855s) for hackers, and my prior gaming set of JPX 825 Pros (which will be flying up north to reside with family, so I don't have to travel with my sticks).

Personally I enjoy breaking out some of the older equipment.  The 32s were in my bag for my last 2 rounds, and while I didnt score as well I hit some flushed irons that reminded me of why I love this game.

• Like 1

De-cluttering is overrated. That is, unless you can't get your car in the garage!

BT

• Like 1

Mizuno ST180 10.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 70 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno JPX 850 3w 14.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 43"
Mizuno JPX 850 7w 19.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Declutter?  Blasphemy!!  :>)  My iBlades spend most of the time in my bag.  Keep a set of Eye 2's that see daylight a few times during the year.  Nostalgia.  Not worth a lot for resale.  Still play about as good as moderns sets.  And, I keep my Eye 2+ BeCu's.  They, too, see the course a few times each year.  SIL has dibs on them when I'm gone from this Earth.

I keep a couple extra wedges for varying course conditions.  And... I keep two Callaway Mini 1.5's because one is almost always in use and the other a backup... just in case.  Putters... they come and go from both basement and bag due to their ability to change from friend to foe on a moment's notice.

Currently contemplating this dilemma.

I have two sets of irons that I use often. A few extra FW and wedges I should get rid of.

I have a 3rd set of irons that were my father's,  '69 W/S Bullet Backs, that I play a couple of times a year on a local executive course.

And I have about 5 bags and 12-13 putters, 6 of which see regular action.

Just got rid of a bunch of relics that were in my folks basement after my dad passed this year.

Ping G400 10.5 (9.5*) Hzrdus Yellow Smoke 60 5.5 
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra  Forged Tec Black SteelFiber i95cw R  
Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
Mack Daddy PM 58/12

This Week's Putter: Toulon Madison (plumbers neck)
 TM Tour Response/ BStone B RXS/ ProV1

Currently 4 dedicated bags.  My current gamers; last year's gamers; a set of early modern era clubs with Eye 2 clones and BB War bird metals and a set of persimmons and forged blades with rotational clubs for the vintage as well as current gamers.

Sold two full bags of clubs last year before we moved in a fit of decluttering so I'm not all about hoarding.  The proceeds went towards the current gamers few of which are new or particularly current.

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

WS D7 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

TM Speedblades 5-AW

TM ATV 56°

Odyssey White Hot RX #1

I just purchased a set of irons and have replaced my driver, 3 metal and 54* wedge earlier this year.  My old 54* I gave to my cousin, old 3 metal to my brother and my Vegas are going to my brother as an xmas gift.  My old M4 head I gave to my other cousin.  No back up bags for me.  Keeps the home tidy and the wife happy. 

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Options I feel are an interesting dilemma.  Myself I find that options with my driver, my long approach clubs and putter are a good thing to have.  I also find that once I'm committed to a set of irons and a set of wedges, I'm there.  It's about confidence and reliability.  A change of putter can be helpful if I get tentative with the current stick.  Changing around a fairway for a hybrid is often about what suits which course the best or am I struggling with one versus another.  The driver option maybe as much about not having found the club that I can count on.  I've never been able to replace that old R7 425 and find anything that was as reliable.  Still looking actually...

Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

WS D7 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 16°/22°

TM Speedblades 5-AW

TM ATV 56°

Odyssey White Hot RX #1

I have a set that is more as a novelty set its a set of Titleist 690.MB 3-PW. that I played for a few years and they still have some life left in them.

Other then that sets have been played to the last drop and I keep them around as shaft replacements for myself or friends. I have cracked face drivers and 3 woods not a lot of equipment that I would be able to game but enough to get me buy during the wait for new stuff if my whole bag disappeared.

If you don’t have backups of backups, you’re on the wrong website!

I have a primary set for tournaments & high stakes rounds, but can substitute any club for casual rounds.

My side of the garage is where I keep my clubs, and as long as we can still park 2 cars, those extras are not a problem.

• Like 1

EFSZ 9*, Tour AD XC 6R

0317 Gen1 17* & 0317X Gen2 19*, MMT 80S

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW, SteelFiber 95S

RTX-4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid, DG S400

Red X2 35”/330g

14th club: TS2 15* or Hi-Toe 64* (course dependent)

Tour B RX

- In the testing “lab”: 0811X+ Proto 10.5*; Original One 11.5*; WHP 7CS; MTB-X, TP5x.

- Backups: TS3 9.5*; EFSZ 15*; WHP CSM 400g.

Just did my golf walk in closet inventory and I found aside form my current gamers:

5 high end shafts with various tips

4 basic shafts with various tips and no tips

4 Putters

12 Mizuno/TM Wedges from T5 to S18 various lofts and shafts

JPX 919F, JPX 900, TM P790 

5 Mizuno Hybrids

3 Fairway Metals

2 Back up Drivers

2 Stand Bags

2 Cart Bags 

I think I am going to just sit on it and one day have a nice driveway sale lol

• Like 1