Switching Allegiances

Nelson.br.1515

I used to be die hard Titleist.  They were the name in my younger years.  I also seemed to suffer some form of golfer OCD believing that the bag had to match top to bottom, never considering the possibility of fit for me at each position.  A number of year ago I got fitted and opened up to trying other brands.  I'm picky with regard to look, sound and feel of all clubs and for a long time felt Titleist checked all of those boxes.  It wasn't until I gave other options a try and found that in a particular club I could find something that equaled Titleist, and sometimes was better, including performance that I opened the bag up to the best brand at every position.  Now I have five brands in the bag.  I love the look, sound and feel at every position and in each they were either the top performer or close enough that I wouldn't compromise any one of the look, sound and feel categories to gain two yards.  Since no one is paying I'll stick with a mixed bag of whatever is best for me.  

TM Stealth 2 Plus 10.5°/Ventus Blue TR 5S
Callaway Paradym 15°/Tensei White
PXG 0317X 19°/Tensei White Raw
Taylormade 23 P770 4&5, P7MC 6-PW/MMT stiff
Vokey SM9 50, 54° & 58°
LAB Golf Link1
ProV1X

I play one length irons, so I tried the all Cobra bag for a year. I liked it for the most part, but I just look for different things in my woods/irons/wedges. Up to 5 different brands in the bag now, 6 if you count my ball. If you want similar looks and feels all the way through the bag, a brand allegiance makes a lot of sense, but it isn't for me. 

No brand loyalty here.

I have some preferred  OEMs, but only because of experience with their gear and the fact that i usually works for me.

When shopping for new gear, I'm most likely to find something from these OEMs:

Cally: Fairways and Drivers, Irons and Wedges Maybe Putter

Titleist: Same

Ping: Driver, wedges

Mizuno: Irons ( but that's changed the past few years), maybe wedge.

Edited by RainShadow

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I didn't start with an allegiance but built my current bag through callaway pre-owned. I found I just couldn't beat the value, performance, and customer service. 

• Like 2

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

"Full" 10-Club Bag currently looks like this:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Titleist 818H1 25* Fuji Atmos Black 9s

Callaway Mavrik Pro 7-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

Vokey SM9 50.08F

Vokey SM9 56.10S

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

IMO, no manufacturer makes the best performing clubs in every single category - driver, fairway woods, hybrids, irons, wedges, putters - so having an allegiance to just one brand is counter productive.  I go with whatever club works best for me at that given point in time.

That said, I have found that certain manufacturers' clubs work best for me in a given category.  Typically, I will gravitate toward Ping irons, for example.  And my Scottie putter is not going anywhere soon.

Edited by ShowMe
  • Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

I've had a mixed bag and always have. Currently I have 4 brands in my bag. I've had more and less over the years, but I don't think I've ever had 14 clubs all from the same manufacturer. 

I always assumed people who outfit their entire bag with only one brand did it more out of wanting some sort of symmetry not because they felt it was the absolute perfect setup. I think you would have to be a little naïve to believe that one brand (Ping, TM, Callaway, or whoever) makes the best version of every single club. 

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 1

I am partial to Nike even though they are out of the game (but now I can afford it) because they are local. My office is just down the street from the world campus.

But I am not loyal really, just lucky they made some sweet hardware when they did.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I have to admit, I was a Ping staff guy for over 20 years. However, I put in a Sim driver last year and went to Cleveland wedges and an Evnroll putter. I've been looking to replace my g25 irons for 8 years but have yet to find anything that can get them out the back. But I must admit, it does feel a little strange not having all one brand in the bag.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Switched from mostly Mizuno to mostly Cobra a couple years ago because I wanted to try single-length irons. I've always enjoyed the Ping fairways/hybrids though, so if I ever go back to variable length irons, I'd probably build an all Ping bag.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

3 hours ago, Abh159 said:

I've had a mixed bag and always have. Currently I have 4 brands in my bag. I've had more and less over the years, but I don't think I've ever had 14 clubs all from the same manufacturer. 

I always assumed people who outfit their entire bag with only one brand did it more out of wanting some sort of symmetry not because they felt it was the absolute perfect setup. I think you would have to be a little naïve to believe that one brand (Ping, TM, Callaway, or whoever) makes the best version of every single club. 

I actually do think (for the most part) Titleist, Ping, TM, Callaway do ALL make the best version of every single club. I think we have gotten to a point where a significant differences between the OEMs is non existent and it all comes down to personal preference and maybe the best deal you can get.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its genuinely nice too see some folk buy a full Titleist or TM bag and post it here.I started with Full Ping Bag mid 1990s isi  i3 era b605bz.Their sand wedges were Automatic.With drivers i still use regularly, g5 g20 i15 i20 and Rapture now.Irons Many Mizuno! This wont change...looking for mp4 soon.With the price of new gear at an allll time high,i just keep looking at two models old,so a 917d2 soon.Had one 2 years ago for a month.At xmas had a ts3 3 wood,sold head,kept the tensei av blue65, that is  specisl shaft! So Cherry Pic the Best for You.The WRX way..Ho Ho Ho

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I agree with what 2bGood said above that there's no reason any of us can't find a full bag of perfectly suitable clubs from any company given all the custom fitting and shaft options they all have. It really is down to personal preference. I really like the matte black woods and won't look at any models that aren't. I also like red and black accents and tend to go towards models with them vs without. Seems pretty superficial but given that pretty much any model can be fit to suit my needs I'm not really giving anything up performance wise.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

18 hours ago, Nelson.br.1515 said:

I have just switched my brand allegiance for the 3rd time in my golf equipment life. Went from all things Adams (RIP), to all things Callaway and just switched to PING (except putter that’s not going anywhere). Anyone else bounce from one manufacturer to the other? Successes? Regrets?

This is wrx , the golf equivalent of Game of Thrones 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

1 hour ago, 2bGood said:

I actually do think (for the most part) Titleist, Ping, TM, Callaway do ALL make the best version of every single club. I think we have gotten to a point where a significant differences between the OEM is non existent and it all comes do to personal preference and maybe the best deal you can get.

Agreed, but I also think that individual brands have specific distinguishing traits that can fit specific golfers better. Performance will be fairly similar, but head and sole shapes (rails, deep/shallow face, bounce), alignment aids, adjustability... all can be design features that allow an individual golfer to make best use of the available performance.

• Like 1

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Im pretty much a callaway guy but in 2020 i got mizuno irons and a scotty putter... very happy with both.. but i will pretty much always use a callaway driver, bag, wedges, putter. I would still buy their irons in future. They just dont disapoint me with anything ever. Mizuno irons though... wowie.

Is there a difference between trusting a brand and an allegiance?  I trust titleist products, mizuno irons etc... But i'm open to playing whatever looks good and performs well for me.  I think everyone makes pretty good to great stuff these days so i'm not really concerned about brands as much. 

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

My allegiance is to whomever gives me the best revolving deals. And right now thats CPO due to their customer service, sales, rewards, and ease of trades.

If Taylormade/Ping did something like CPO (the current deal with GG/3balls sucks with TM, for example) I would probably own more TM/Ping stuff.

Edited by third-times-a-charm

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

Growing up and through my mid 20's I would say I had a brand allegiance to Titleist. To echo what others have said it stemmed from seeing big name players using the equipment to trusting their product and having good experiences. That being said, when I was starting to get serious into golf I don't think there was the same push for fitting as there is today. Basically, use the minimal technology available to identify some basic swing characteristic and go with a certain shaft flex that should match. Then choose whatever club brand you prefer/trust without thinking much about competitors and how they may change performance. The last 5-6 years I have basically gotten rid of most Titleist clubs and put more focus on what performs best for me regardless of brand and if there is some money to be saved somewhere it is a bonus. The technology available and knowledge surrounding fitting has helped those decisions immensely. It is also that much more fun to test and experiment when you open up to all brands. 

Ping G430 LST - Hzrdus Blue 60tx

Titleist 910f - Diamana ahina 70x

Callaway Apex UW - Hzrdus RDX Black 80x

Cobra King Tour '23 - KBS $Taper 

Vokey SM9: 50,54,58 - S400

Odyssey Two Ball Ten Broomstick, 46"

No allegiances, but I do favor Mizuno irons. Everything else is up for grabs.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

I was a Ping guy since the I3. That included the I10, G15, Raputure, G20, G25, and the plain ol' G. Each was a little better than the last, and I settled on G vs. I, despite being a single-digit player.

But that all changed 5 years ago when the first truly legitimate single-length clubs were introduced. Cobra, Edel, Wishon, and a few knock-offs. I selected Wishon Sterling and never looked back. When Wishon introduced the EQ1-NX last year, I decided to switch to them.

As a single-length player who has loved the switch, I'll never play traditional irons again. I dumped my loyalty in Ping immediately after receiving the Sterling set.

Now, if Ping should introduced the GSL (G Single Length)....

All over the map.. prefer brands in certain areas ie Ping for woods, Vokey for wedges

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Always had a mixture of brands in my bag.  Callaway, Hogan, Titleist, Nike, Wilson, TaylorMade, Ram among others have all been in the bag through the years.  Only recently have I put 13/14 clubs from one manufacturer in the bag and it wasn’t on purpose.  Just worked out that way and I have no plans to change this year.  Like the AP2 irons so much.

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Like most people here I’ve used equipment from most everyone...

drivers-macgregor and ping wood drivers, TM, Goodwin, a Mizuno T zoid, back to TM, Titleist,  then a run of Callaway drivers 6-7 in row, Nike twice, Ping, titleist, callaway, now last three have been ping.

Fw- TM, Callaway, titleist, ping but I currently don’t carry any fw’s

irons- macgregor blades for 1st few years, titleist DCI Golds from 1992 until last year now Ping

wedges- one from Sears, Cleveland and vokey until this year when I got a ping

putters- pings a couple of scotties a ray cook and a Ping Redwood since they came out

hybrids- ping G15 with this being the first time I played this type of club.

Never really had a loyalty to a certain brand but it has worked out that all of my current set make up is from Ping. Clubs that I hit well and were within my budget was what I was looking for and it just kinda worked out that way.  As someone mentioned earlier, I do actually like the symmetry of one brand. To each his own.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I was once brand loyal . . . and I looked like I was going to be again for awhile . . . but look at my signature block now lol

Driver: (10.5) Taylormade SIM2 MAX Graphite Design YS-6X

3-Wood: (13) Taylormade V-Steel Grafalloy ProLite 35X

Hybrid: (18) Ping Rapture Aldlia VS By You 80X

Utility: (21) New Level NLU-01 True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Irons: (5-P) New Level 902 PD True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Gap/Sand: (48, 54) New Level SPN Forged S Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 (48), S400 (54)

Lob: (58) Vokey Wedgeworks T Grind True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
Putter: Tad Moore Pro1 Long Neck

Ball: Snell MTB Black

I'd be very close to all-Callaway if the G400 wasn't such a great driver.  I'm still gaming a few other brands but would like go all-Cally if I could stand anything about their non-iron marketing. I'm pretty sure their GI iron of the time (Apex '16, now regular Mavrik) on a graphite shaft will never leave and the PM grind needs no introduction.

*movie trailer voice*

"Designed by artificial intelligence...."

Give me a break. G400, please.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I've never been too picky, but i usually have one brand that has like 70% of the slots in my bag. Not because i'm "loyal" more just a bit OCD as product lines tend to have a certain flow to them, and i can get same grips and shafts easily etc...

I swore off TMAG for a while because of how they did marketing like 12-13 years ago. Thought it was pretty dishonest. 

But it's been a while, i'm thinking of getting P770s

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique