Most expensive equipment mistake!

craz-e

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @cgasucks said:

> > TM R1. Bought it used. Horrible feel, couldn't hit it to save my life since it was a a few degrees more upright than standard and my downswing plane is a little on the flat side. Got rid of it in 2 weeks for the same price I paid for it thankfully.

>

> Your most expensive mistake is coming out even? Technically breaking a tee is more expensive.

>

> I just purchased a full custom set of i210’s (played the S series since 2008), with shafts that are 25 grams lighter than I usually play and swingweights 3 points higher than normal. It’s got great potential to be a very expensive mistake, since the S55’s they are replacing I received from PING free of charge and I loved them. Should be fun.

Ok. To make you feel better, I got burned for buying a top of the line Bushnell laser range finder...twice. The first time I paid $500 15 years ago and it conked out on me after 5 years. I never dropped it and never got it wet. I got another Bushnell to replace it for another $500 and that conked out on me in 4 years for no reason even though I treated it the same as the first. After that I've had it with their range finders and bought a Caddytek from Ebay for $120 CDN and is still running strong.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I bought a complete set of Gripmaster Kangaroo leather grips for everything from driver through my wedges. Can't remember the total cost but I think they were like $30 or $35 per grip. Not only were they more work to install than five sets of normal rubber grips, after twenty rounds they were a sticky, icky, hand-staining mess that could not be cleaned by any method I tried (being limited to only cleaning methods that are safe for leather grips). What a disaster.

• Like 1

Buying a new custom ordered set of i200s with Recoil 110 F5s without actually hitting them with this shaft, thinking they would play somewhat similar to and between the 95 and 125 protos in stiff I had tried in other heads, I had demoed them with some lighter weight steel shafts, and some other heads with other Recoil shafts, but never this combo. Don't know what it was about this shaft and this head, but they launched really high despite powerspec lofts, and spun way, way more than expected. I think the 110s are more tip soft than the 95s in either the standard or proto Recoils, also I had them made D2-D3, heavier than stock Ping SWs, that might have had something to do with it. I now play the standard Recoil 95 F5s in my Srixons, and they flight the ball fine, nothing like the i200s with the 110s.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Buying Custom Xenon putters. Paid like $350 each for them (2) and ended up not liking them at all, sold one for like $280 and the other for about $220.

After that, probably buying a new F8 3w. Purchased for $220, gamed it but didn't like it and sold it for around $120 IIRC.

Being a lefty... buying new is such a gamble because demand is usually very low so you really take a beating if it doesn't work out. I usually buy stuff used but sometimes the items I want are hard to come buy used so buying new is a risk I take.

I was playing Ping G30’s for a couple of years and tried the shiny G700’s at the local store. Hit them like a tour pro on the sim and ordered a set. Hated the sound and couldn’t hit them so sold them for a loss. Back to the G30’s until I see my buddies TM P790’s and order a set. Hated them and sold them for a loss. Back to G30 until I bought a set of G400’s that I love. I held on to the G30’s for several months just in case but eventually sold them.

Lessons learned: For me - stay with a similar club you’re used to. For everyone - keep your current set until you’re sure you like the new ones.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Trading in my '14 Apex w/ Recoil 95s for Rogue Pros w/ PXLZ 105s. Cally was offering the 50% trade in bonus, so I thought "what the heck".

Never got on with the Rogue Pros, and the build was screwed up as well.

Returned them for shop credit. Put that towards 919 Forged, which I disliked as well.

Now on to Forged Tec Blacks that I love.

Probably out 4-500 bucks total on the merry go round.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Ping i500. Disaster. Lost hundreds of 1 dollar bills with the get fitted, purchase, hate, can't sell on BST, trade-in, buy CF 16s again conundrum.

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 15*

Titleist U505 18*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Cleveland RTX Full Face 64/09

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Taylormade TP5

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @JD3 said:

> > Modus 105. Did a "fitting" in sense of trying a number of shafts in demo head at range. Made mistake of having whole set change instead of just experimenting on one club in bag. Shaft ended up being unplayable for me.....don't know if it was weight or flex feeling looser than my KBS tour hardstepped. reinstalled KBS and sold modus on eBay for $200 but still ended being expensive round trip.

>

> I'm looking at trying the 105 shafts soon, but because it's such a drastic change from the shafts I normally use, I'm definitely going to try it first in one iron only. Your tale serves as a good caution for me.

Start of my error was just assuming I could use something lighter and pretty much committing to it before even trying it. I saw others going in that direction and felt hey I should get some of the benefits of easier swing. Lowering my overall bag carry weight would have been an added benefit. The assumption that lighter offered something better for me was flawed from the start....turns out for irons I just need the weight of shafts in the 125ish range. Around 115 things start to get "iffy" and at 105 (really 106.5 for the modus flex I chose) forget it. Felt like complete toys, head might as well have been one of those oversized plastic you see for toddlers. Lesson there again is just don't make up your mind about something before you even try it. Better off being a skeptic.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Bought two sets of irons after letting myself get talked into a set after a fitting. Got similar results with both, but didn't trust my gut and it kept eating at me. I finally justified ordering the other set to tell myself its the only way to know... in reality its really the only way to lighten my wallet.

Ping I5s. Fitted at Ping's Gainsborough HQ. Clumsy and dead off the face. Lasted 6 weeks and sold them for what I paid. 2014 AP2s. Shortest hitting irons ever made. Hcp went up almost 2 strokes. Will never touch another set of Titleist irons. Ecco shoes. Comfortable. Until they start falling apart after a few weeks. I now try, and then try again before I buy.

The rotating door of irons purchased in last two years. Started with PING i210's (had three different sets), Mizuno HM Pro's, Apex 19's........Finally settled on the P790s and am really happy. Trying to forget how much I spent on the other sets to the find the "one"

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

Used to be in industry, and would get heads and shafts all the time. When I would move on from one driver or 3w, I'd give them to friends... Now, being out of the business and things coming out of pocket, I sure wish I hung on to one or two of those Whiteboard's for backup... they add up quick!

Callaway Paradym TD 9* - MCA D+ LTD 70TX

Taylormade Sim 15* - MRC Kai'li Blue 70TX

Titleist U505 1-Iron - MRC Tensei Blue 75X

Callaway Apex MB (8-PW) XForged (4-7) - MCA MMT 105TX

Vokey Wedges - 52/56 - DG AMT S300

EVNROLL Midlock ER2V

I could probably buy a reliable, mid-size sedan with my current net balance on clubs bought and sold over the last 2-3 years. My most expensive (and greatest) mistake was teaching myself how to do my own club work. The golf club world is your oyster at that point.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

Several years ago I had a set of Ping Eye2 “+ no +” irons in exactly my specs. After a couple bad rounds I foolishly got rid of them. I’ve probably gone through a dozen sets of irons since then trying to find something close.

I currently have a set of Ping Eye 2’s that are even older. I’ve shot my lowest round ever with these clubs last year. But still the search goes on for something more modern to put in the bag.

drn92

Putters, lots and lots of putters

> @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Heading on a golf trip and bought a 2, 3, 4 and 5 Adams hybrids without ever having swung them. Spent over a grand and sold them after that trip. ** Those 4 hookers never provided a single happy ending**.

>

> Then I recommend Thailand......

LMAO

Had a set of Adams A4 Forged with the Project X Flighted 6.0 for a season, and decided to "upgrade" to a set of Taylormade Tour Preferred Forged MC irons with Project X 5.5 straight in. I just didn't get along with the regular 5.5 irons, and it led to me spending a bunch of money I didn't need to be spending. I sold the MCs, tried to buy back the A4 forged, but the guy wanted to charge me more than I sold them to him for because he put some brand new MCC grips on them.

Settled on a set of Adams CB2 irons for a while, but eventually went with some Adams CB1 irons, which I had in the bag for a few years. The CB1 irons are probably still some of my irons that I've ever owned. I only got rid of them because I needed something more forgiving. Ended up with some Fly Z+ irons for 4 years. Really liked those clubs. I was fortunate enough to be a tester for the PTx Pro irons here on golfwrx, and I'm probably going to have them for a few years. Really solid clubs. They feel as good as any other club that I've tried the past few years.

Typing this out makes me realize how much money I've spent on irons over the years, lol. Probably should have kept the A4 Forged...

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Getting custom fit for TM irons and wedges but I'm really a JDM guy......so they didn't last long. Tut tut tut.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.